Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
BLM/LEO Cookout - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: BLM/LEO Cookout (/Thread-BLM-LEO-Cookout)

Pages: 1 2 3

BLM/LEO Cookout - Belsnickel - 07-18-2016

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/WPD-community-activists-hosts-First-Step-Barbecue-in-NE-Wichita-387186631.html

Saw this story and wanted to share.

Quote:WICHITA, Kan. There was unity in Wichita Sunday night after a tense week for activists and law enforcement in the community, as well as nationwide.

Sunday night's event in Wichita's McAdams Park drew a crowd of nearly 1,000 people. The name of the gathering was the 'First Steps Cookout.'

Many people who spoke to Eyewitness News reporter Deedee Sun say the event was largely a positive step to bring the Wichita Police Department closer to the community it serves.

A large crowd gathered in McAdams Park enjoyed free food and the opportunity to have one-on-one conversations with law enforcement.

"Very good vibe. Very good vibe. It's everything I was hoping for," says Wichita Police Chief Gordon Ramsay.

There is more there at the link. Also, Chief Gordon Ramsay?

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - GMDino - 07-18-2016

(07-18-2016, 09:17 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.kwch.com/content/news/WPD-community-activists-hosts-First-Step-Barbecue-in-NE-Wichita-387186631.html

There is always more good than bad...the bad sells ink. Or these days clicks.

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - McC - 07-18-2016

(07-18-2016, 09:17 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: http://www.kwch.com/content/news/WPD-community-activists-hosts-First-Step-Barbecue-in-NE-Wichita-387186631.html

He must have been working the grill.

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - Belsnickel - 07-18-2016

(07-18-2016, 09:24 AM)GMDino Wrote: There is always more good than bad...the bad sells ink. Or these days clicks.

Which is definitely why I think it is important to share stories like these.

(07-18-2016, 09:29 AM)McC Wrote: He must have been working the grill.

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - Mike M (the other one) - 07-18-2016

Good Story, Need more like this.

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - Benton - 07-18-2016

That's the kind of thing that will go a long way to fixing the problem.

I talked to a sheriff one time about all the complaints against his office. He didn't get the public perception. I was surprised, I honestly thought he knew most of his guys were jerks. They were like the guys from Super Troopers, but not nearly as funny. One game they played was seeing how many sobriety tests (walking a straight line, saying the alphabet backwards, toe touches, etc) they could have people do before they complained. If you had the repeater frequency you could hear the guys talking about getting fast food workers to flash them.

Some of that could have been helped if those guys had the opportunity to interact with the communities instead of just each other.

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - Rotobeast - 07-18-2016

That's a beautiful thing !
I hope it catches on.
I had actually been thinking of asking to have an event in our city to discuss minorities concerns.
This approach would be great.
I will bring it up to my city council member, this week.

Thanks Matt !
ThumbsUp

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - Belsnickel - 07-18-2016

(07-18-2016, 01:10 PM)Rotobeast Wrote: That's a beautiful thing !
I hope it catches on.
I had actually been thinking of asking to have an event in our city to discuss minorities concerns.
This approach would be great.
I will bring it up to my city council member, this week.

Thanks Matt !
ThumbsUp

We have several events throughout the year where this type of thing occurs. There is a yearly event called "National Night Out" (I think) where there are events around the city where the public safety departments interact with the community, especially the children. We also do "Touch a Truck" events every so often where different city vehicles are available for kids to come and check out.

On the more adult side of things we do events here called "Coffee with a Cop" where there will be times that officers will be at a particular coffee shop or restaurant in town and the community is invited to come out and have a chat. Then we have an association in the area considered the black part of town called the Northeast Neighborhood Association and we host events on a regular basis and always have officers there to mingle. I say we there because I lived in that neighborhood from the age of 4 to 22. I currently live right outside of it, but since I know everyone I go to the events.

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - StoneTheCrow - 07-18-2016

I love The Onion. Ninja

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - NATI BENGALS - 07-18-2016

Free food always draws a crowd

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - Rotobeast - 07-18-2016

(07-18-2016, 01:17 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: We have several events throughout the year where this type of thing occurs. There is a yearly event called "National Night Out" (I think) where there are events around the city where the public safety departments interact with the community, especially the children. We also do "Touch a Truck" events every so often where different city vehicles are available for kids to come and check out.

On the more adult side of things we do events here called "Coffee with a Cop" where there will be times that officers will be at a particular coffee shop or restaurant in town and the community is invited to come out and have a chat. Then we have an association in the area considered the black part of town called the Northeast Neighborhood Association and we host events on a regular basis and always have officers there to mingle. I say we there because I lived in that neighborhood from the age of 4 to 22. I currently live right outside of it, but since I know everyone I go to the events.

I live in a very poor, small town.
The Sheriff's dept has some safety displays with their vehicles at events and ect.., but they also put on displays of their S.W.A.T. team in action.
LOL

I have a friend that is a local Pastor (who happens to be black).
I might try to set something up through him.

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - bfine32 - 07-24-2016

It appears the co-founder of BLM does not agree with the title of this thread.

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/National-Black-Lives-Matter-organization-says-it-does-not-support-First-Step-Barbecue-387989542.html
Quote:"The group of people who had a BBQ with the police are not affiliated with BlackLivesMatter," said Patrisse Cullors, co-founder of the national organization.

A tweet from the D.C. chapter of BlackLivesMatter said the BBQ is not in line with the principals of the national organization. Cullors said the event in Wichita doesn't bring about change.

"We don't sit on panels with law enforcement, and we don't have BBQ's or cookouts with law enforcement. We feel the best method at this point in history is by holding police accountable by organizing and advocating for police accountability," Collors said.

Wichita organizer Djuan Wash said the movement in Wichita is about saving lives.

"It's not about who's credit, who has that organization, who has that organization, whether or not we stand in line with their principles and different things like that," said Wash. "We never once said we were a black lives matter organization."

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 07-24-2016

(07-24-2016, 09:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: It appears the co-founder of BLM does not agree with the title of this thread.

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/National-Black-Lives-Matter-organization-says-it-does-not-support-First-Step-Barbecue-387989542.html

Not that complicated, the problem goes away so does their 15 minutes.  We can't have that now can we?

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - GMDino - 07-24-2016

(07-24-2016, 09:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not that complicated, the problem goes away so does their 15 minutes.  We can't have that now can we?

That wold be something we would all like.

(07-24-2016, 09:27 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not that complicated, the problem goes away so does their 15 minutes.  We can't have that now can we?

What else could be your motivation for trying to separate your organization from this type of gathering? 

(07-24-2016, 09:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: That wold be something we would all like.

Apparently not.

(07-24-2016, 09:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What else could be your motivation for trying to separate your organization from this type of gathering? 

I'd be very interested in seeing GMDino's answer to this question.

(07-24-2016, 09:54 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I'd be very interested in seeing GMDino's answer to this question.

To be fair to Dino, he has not been alone in these thoughts. I have always held to the notion that the BLM movement is discriminatory and divisive. 

But who knows, maybe the co-founder doesn't speak for BLM. 

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - rfaulk34 - 07-24-2016

(07-24-2016, 09:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What else could be your motivation for trying to separate your organization from this type of gathering? 

Because they're not interested in dialogue and change. They're only interested in what they perceive to be justice. 

For most, more cops in jail. For some, more cops dead. 

RE: BLM/LEO Cookout - JustWinBaby - 07-24-2016

You can't fix a manufactured crisis because there's no solution for something that isn't real.

And is this BLM leader by chance the same one that bristled at Hillary in their private meeting when she asked him what solutions did he have?

There's no stopping this gravy train.  BLM is going to launch the next generation of black leaders....none too soon, either, with Jesse and Al getting long in the tooth.