Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
McCarron hype gaining steam - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: McCarron hype gaining steam (/Thread-McCarron-hype-gaining-steam)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - Interceptor - 06-25-2015

(06-25-2015, 02:46 PM)GodFather Wrote: Here's a hypothetical question for everyone. Do you think when Andy has one of those bad Andy games this year (and if you think he won't I have a bridge in Florida for sale real cheap) do you think Hue will put AJ in to see what he has in him on the field?

With our luck, McCarron will be traded and Dalton stays. :snark:

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - Shake n Blake - 06-25-2015

(06-25-2015, 02:46 PM)GodFather Wrote: Here's a hypothetical question for everyone. Do you think when Andy has one of those bad Andy games this year (and if you think he won't I have a bridge in Florida for sale real cheap) do you think Hue will put AJ in to see what he has in him on the field?

No. As MC said, Marv just loathes QB controversy. 

Plus Marv pushed hard for the Dalton extension. It'd make him look foolish to bench him 1 year later.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - Shake n Blake - 06-25-2015

(06-25-2015, 05:06 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah unless all the WRs are hurt again i dont see andy having anywhere close to a 2014 season again...  Im expecting him to surpass his 2013 numbers in fewer attempts.

I'd be surprised if Dalton topped 4300 yards or 33 TD's (35 total). 

That said, I do think Dalton could finally top 90 in the passer rating category.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - BengalChris - 06-25-2015

Actually, I think he will. Why? Because going to the SB is more important.

If Dalton is benched for a half, he'll still come back as the starter the next week. No doubt about that. But benching the QB also sends a message to the other players who goofed. That Cleveland game just cannot be allowed to be repeated.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - Se ky bengal - 06-25-2015

(06-23-2015, 08:05 PM)Se ky bengal Wrote: Ty

So that would be round 6?
Damn a lot of GM's kicking theirselves there. Although if not for the injury to Bledsoe, we may have never known. He got his chance and capitalized on it.

So AJ was taking in 5, Brady 199 in 6th. If Bledsoe had not got took out. Would we have seen Brady, I'm sure we would have. Maybe not that season, maybe couple more. Brady was not consider a top tier qb. So who is to say AJ is Dalton, goes down can't come in and fill his shoes? If not at least we got a competent backup. Brady was no where the qb in college AJ was.

Does that translate into him being a elite qb in Nfl? No. Although who's to say that he can't come in and win use game? Brady had hard time even winning starting position in college. AJ done quite well in college, 2 National championships. IMHO don't think he is ready to take Dalton's 1 position.he could possibly have a chance next year, if Dalton gives a bad season.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - fredtoast - 06-25-2015

The reason this almost never happens is that once the season starts the #2 QB gets very few reps in practice. It wouldn't really be fair to throw McCarron into a game when he did not get any reps during the week to prepare him to play.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - wolfkaosaun - 06-26-2015

No. Dalton had a 2 QB one week, didn't sit him the next and he had almost a perfect QB passer rating.

Switching up QBs during the season rarely works out. Look at the Browns. All the Manziel hype. They were in 1st place in the AFC North. Put him in. Their season becomes derailed.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - CornerBlitz - 06-26-2015

For all that debate over Dalton throughout several of the pages in this thread, I am not high on McCarron at all. The chances of him being a good QB is probably 5%.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - Stormborn - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 02:45 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: No. Dalton had a 2 QB one week, didn't sit him the next and he had almost a perfect QB passer rating.

Switching up QBs during the season rarely works out. Look at the Browns. All the Manziel hype. They were in 1st place in the AFC North. Put him in. Their season becomes derailed.

Trying to understand their perspective, Hoyer was sucking it up, and the fanbase wanted their 1st round QB to start. I don't entirely blame them for pulling Hoyer for those circumstances.

That's what it would take for Andy to get benched though, multiple horrid games in a row where the season was in jeopardy.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - wolfkaosaun - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 03:44 AM)Stormborn Wrote: Trying to understand their perspective, Hoyer was sucking it up, and the fanbase wanted their 1st round QB to start. I don't entirely blame them for pulling Hoyer for those circumstances.

That's what it would take for Andy to get benched though, multiple horrid games in a row where the season was in jeopardy.

They were 7-4 under Hoyer. They benched him in the Bills game (which is somewhat understandable) but Hoyer had done well in that position all year, being down. Browns almost beat the Colts, but defense ends up losing the game. They're now 7-6. What do they do? Bench Hoyer for Manziel. he had a 3 game stretch where he threw 7 interceptions and no touchdowns. Understandable to be upset about that. But Hoyer had a 11:5 TD to INT ratio beforehand.

So I can somewhat understand it, but everyone knew that Manziel was raw. He even looked raw against the Bills in the 4th quarter. People may clamor for McCarron. But I don't see him as an upgrade. Nor do I see him as a long term franchise QB.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - BengalD - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 08:46 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: They were 7-4 under Hoyer. They benched him in the Bills game (which is somewhat understandable) but Hoyer had done well in that position all year, being down. Browns almost beat the Colts, but defense ends up losing the game. They're now 7-6. What do they do? Bench Hoyer for Manziel. he had a 3 game stretch where he threw 7 interceptions and no touchdowns. Understandable to be upset about that. But Hoyer had a 11:5 TD to INT ratio beforehand.

So I can somewhat understand it, but everyone knew that Manziel was raw. He even looked raw against the Bills in the 4th quarter. People may clamor for McCarron. But I don't see him as an upgrade. Nor do I see him as a long term franchise QB.

As long as the cleve clowns keep doing what they're doing (musical chairs for QB's, coaches, and front office) - I'm all for it (for them).  Bash Marv all you want but at the very least we consistently get to the playoffs.  And you can't win the superbowl if you don't get to the playoffs!

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - McC - 06-26-2015

Andy, without the bad Andy days and without the sack tightening, would be a pretty damned good QB. Many people say AJ is Andy without the experience. What if he's Andy without the nut shriveling? That might be a guy you could win big with.

I know it's impossible to evaluate anybody without game experience, which makes saying he will suck just as silly as saying he'll take Andy's job.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - djs7685 - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 10:00 AM)BengalD Wrote: And you can't win the superbowl if you don't get to the playoffs!

You should tell your buddy Marvin that you can't win the Superbowl if you don't WIN in the playoffs.

Consistently being the 12th best team in the league is better than being the 30th best every year, but a lot of fans are getting restless by seeing them just completely fall flat in primetime and the playoffs.

Success is always relative, and you always want to see consistent improvement instead of plateauing for too long. I'm glad we're not the laughing stock of the league anymore, but now we're pretty much the laughing stock of the playoff contenders, which can be considered both good and bad. 1 or 2 playoff wins would go a long way and really change the perception of the fanbase and even the media and fans of other teams.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - PhilHos - 06-26-2015

(06-24-2015, 06:18 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Pocket presence cannot be judged until he has 300 pounders bearing down on him with a full head of steam that are actually allowed to tattoo his ass........... ThumbsUp

True, however, from the college clips I saw of his on YouTube, that was honestly the first thing I noticed about his play was how well he moved in the pocket.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - Stormborn - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 08:46 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: They were 7-4 under Hoyer. They benched him in the Bills game (which is somewhat understandable) but Hoyer had done well in that position all year, being down. Browns almost beat the Colts, but defense ends up losing the game. They're now 7-6. What do they do? Bench Hoyer for Manziel. he had a 3 game stretch where he threw 7 interceptions and no touchdowns. Understandable to be upset about that. But Hoyer had a 11:5 TD to INT ratio beforehand.

Those fans turned on him as soon as that day dream was coming to an end, they never truly wanted Hoyer to succeed, they wanted Johnny fookin Football. As soon as the opportunity struck, the front office's hands were tied.

McCarron's just an unknown, and all the things people claim he is right now, Dalton basically was coming out of college, a winner, don't crumble, had a certain fire. The more you hype up McCarron the more the fanbase would be willing to try him out when Dalton's struggling, and they may not have a choice but to play him, even if they feel he wasn't ready like Johnny wasn't.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - Nately120 - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:00 PM)Stormborn Wrote: Those fans turned on him as soon as that day dream was coming to an end, they never truly wanted Hoyer to succeed, they wanted Johnny fookin Football. As soon as the opportunity struck, the front office's hands were tied.

I realize Johnny Fartball is a joke, but is it really insane to think about starting a first round pick over an undrafted FA who has stunk for a month straight?

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - fredtoast - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I realize Johnny Fartball is a joke, but is it really insane to think about starting a first round pick over an undrafted FA who has stunk for a month straight?

Hoyer's last start he was 13-30, for 136 yards, 0 tds, and 2 ints.

And they had lost 3 of 4 after starting 6-3.  I can see why they made the change.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - djs7685 - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I realize Johnny Fartball is a joke, but is it really insane to think about starting a first round pick over an undrafted FA who has stunk for a month straight?

(06-26-2015, 12:12 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Hoyer's last start he was 13-30, for 136 yards, 0 tds, and 2 ints.

And they had lost 3 of 4 after starting 6-3.  I can see why they made the change.

In hindsight, Manziel obviously wasn't NFL ready last year, but I know for a fact if we were in that situation that 99% of this board would have been screaming for our 1st round QB to play over a rapidly declining Hoyer.

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - BengalD - 06-26-2015

(06-26-2015, 12:13 PM)djs7685 Wrote: In hindsight, Manziel obviously wasn't NFL ready last year, but I know for a fact if we were in that situation that 99% of this board would have been screaming for our 1st round QB to play over a rapidly declining Hoyer.

Lets just hope they don't screw up their recipe up there anytime soon!

RE: McCarron hype gaining steam - ochocincos - 06-26-2015

If Dalton struggles this year and/or the Bengals do not advance in the playoffs yet again, do you trade or cut Dalton to save $$ and draft a QB high to compete with McCarron? If so, which QB to draft?

Are there any QBs worth drafting that people feel would be an upgrade? What about a QB not projected in the top 10?

People should be prepared for a possible decline if Dalton and/or Lewis are gone, similar to Dusty Baker being fired for the Reds. However, even though it could be worse, there's also still hope of an improvement over the current QB and HC. Worth the risk?