Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Sobriety check points - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Sobriety check points (/Thread-Sobriety-check-points)

Pages: 1 2 3

Sobriety check points - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 09-10-2016

I never gave much thought to them...until tonight. I had to go through one on my way home. I was sober so nothing happened. But it did get me thinking about it and in general I just don't like it. I don't like the idea of police check points for any reason except for reasons of say national security or something of that nature. It just rubbed me wrong that we supposedly live in the most free country in the world and we still have to deal with "check points". The officer was very polite and all, but I just don't like the idea of it.

What is your thoughts on check points.

RE: Sobriety check points - JustWinBaby - 09-10-2016

It's what the people want, allegedly.

My main problem with sobriety checkpoints is that it's usually advertised. So you only catch the really dumb or uniformed. It's a placebo effect.

RE: Sobriety check points - GMDino - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 02:54 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I never gave much thought to them...until tonight.   I had to go through one on my way home. I was sober so nothing happened.  But it did get me thinking about it and in general I just don't like it.  I don't like the idea of police check points for any reason except for reasons of say national security or something of that nature.   It just rubbed me wrong that we supposedly live in the most free country in the world and we still have to deal with "check points".   The officer was very polite and all, but I just don't like the idea of it.

Just do what the police tell you to do and you won't have a problem.  If you do have a problem just let the courts handle it.

Mellow

RE: Sobriety check points - 6andcounting - 09-10-2016

Somehow they're have been ruled legal as long as they're in some small way advertised before they are done. This nonsensical legal loophole still doesn't address the fact that people are being stopped at random and detained without first establishing reasonable suspicious of a crime.

RE: Sobriety check points - mallorian69 - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 09:00 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Somehow they're have been ruled legal as long as they're in some small way advertised before they are done. This nonsensical legal loophole still doesn't address the fact that people are being stopped at random and detained without first establishing reasonable suspicious of a crime.

Exactly. It's no different than if they started making everyone empty their pockets and submit to a pat down after leaving Wal-Mart because someone somewhere at sometime shoplifted.

RE: Sobriety check points - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 08:31 AM)GMDino Wrote: Just do what the police tell you to do and you won't have a problem.  If you do have a problem just let the courts handle it.

Mellow

He followed your advice and it worked!

(09-10-2016, 09:00 AM)6andcounting Wrote: Somehow they're have been ruled legal as long as they're in some small way advertised before they are done. This nonsensical legal loophole still doesn't address the fact that people are being stopped at random and detained without first establishing reasonable suspicious of a crime.

I get your point, but you generally aren't "detained" unless you exhibit behavior that made for probable cause.

(09-10-2016, 09:04 AM)mallorian69 Wrote: Exactly. It's no different than if they started making everyone empty their pockets and submit to a pat down after leaving Wal-Mart because someone somewhere at sometime shoplifted.

Eh, it's not the same thing but you do highlight the problem with proactive policing.  It's a bit of a double edged sword.  On one hand citizens complain that the police don't prevent crime they just respond to it.  On the other hand the same citizens will complain if you do something proactive.  It's a fine line to walk.  These checkpoints are generally set up on major roadways at times that are known for higher than average rates of DUI.  Your analogy doesn't quite hold up as you don't need a license to walk or insurance.  But, again, I concede that people have a reason for concern.

RE: Sobriety check points - xxlt - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 02:54 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I never gave much thought to them...until tonight.   I had to go through one on my way home. I was sober so nothing happened.  But it did get me thinking about it and in general I just don't like it.  I don't like the idea of police check points for any reason except for reasons of say national security or something of that nature.   It just rubbed me wrong that we supposedly live in the most free country in the world and we still have to deal with "check points".   The officer was very polite and all, but I just don't like the idea of it.

But in reality we do not.

RE: Sobriety check points - 6andcounting - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 10:31 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: He followed your advice and it worked!

I get your point, but you generally aren't "detained" unless you exhibit behavior that made for probable cause.

You are being detained any time a cop puts his lights on or instructs you to stop and pull over at a checkpoint. You certainly aren't free to just go and drive away at that point.

Probable cause is the standard needed for a search or an arrest.

Reasonable suspicion of a crime is the standard for being detained. The problem is you aren't suspected of anything when you're just being pulled over at random.

RE: Sobriety check points - PhilHos - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 02:54 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I never gave much thought to them...until tonight. I had to go through one on my way home. I was sober so nothing happened. But it did get me thinking about it and in general I just don't like it. I don't like the idea of police check points for any reason except for reasons of say national security or something of that nature. It just rubbed me wrong that we supposedly live in the most free country in the world and we still have to deal with "check points". The officer was very polite and all, but I just don't like the idea of it.

Blame the idiots that still drink and drive. I agree they can be a nuisance and it's stupid to announce when you're doing them but until people stop drinking and driving and killing others than there's going to be a need for SOME kind of prevention program.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

RE: Sobriety check points - wildcats forever - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 03:55 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: It's what the people want, allegedly.

My main problem with sobriety checkpoints is that it's usually advertised.  So you only catch the really dumb or uniformed.  It's a placebo effect.

If this is the case, then I'm okay with it. These two groups are among the last that I want to encounter on the roads. 

RE: Sobriety check points - bfine32 - 09-10-2016

Driving on public roads is a privilege that has to be earned; it is not a right.

If you don't want to be subject to sobriety checks take the bus. If you are stopped you still have protection from illegal search.

RE: Sobriety check points - Millhouse - 09-10-2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxOqHAUk2EY

rated R link in case you are under 17

RE: Sobriety check points - McC - 09-10-2016

I don't have much sympathy for drunk drivers, so I don't have a problem with it.

RE: Sobriety check points - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 09-10-2016

My main problem with sobriety checkpoints is that it's usually advertised.  So you only catch the really dumb or uniformed.  It's a placebo effect.
I hear this a lot that it's "advertised".   Where?  It's not on the TV or radio.  And I don't check the internet for check points before I go out, nor should I have to IMO.
(09-10-2016, 08:31 AM)GMDino Wrote: Just do what the police tell you to do and you won't have a problem.  If you do have a problem just let the courts handle it.

Mellow
I had no problem, but I'm a strait white male. Mellow
And that is exactly my problem with it.
(09-10-2016, 10:31 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: He followed your advice and it worked!

Eh, it's not the same thing but you do highlight the problem with proactive policing.  It's a bit of a double edged sword.  On one hand citizens complain that the police don't prevent crime they just respond to it.  On the other hand the same citizens will complain if you do something proactive.  It's a fine line to walk.  These checkpoints are generally set up on major roadways at times that are known for higher than average rates of DUI.  Your analogy doesn't quite hold up as you don't need a license to walk or insurance.  But, again, I concede that people have a reason for concern.
The area I went through is Mariemont it is a well off part of Cincinnati.  Lot's of rich white folk, low crime, and for some reason a heavy police presence.  They are pretty notorious for being petty about things like going 1 or 2 miles over the speed limit.  I generally don't like to go through there but they have a movie theatre that I like because it shows a lot of smaller lesser known indie films.  Anyway my point is there is not a lot of crime there and this is not a case of Mariemont cops being proactive.  This is a case of Mariemont cops being Mariemont cops.
(09-10-2016, 10:41 AM)xxlt Wrote: But in reality we do not.
As I learned last night.
(09-10-2016, 11:00 AM)PhilHos Wrote: Blame the idiots that still drink and drive.  I agree they can be a nuisance and it's stupid to announce when you're doing them but until people stop drinking and driving and killing others than there's going to be a need for SOME kind of prevention program.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk
Meh...I have a couple of beers after work almost nightly.  I'm not drunk when I leave the bar, but an over zealous cop could absolutely ruin my life if he chose to.  And I doubt these check points really prevent these tragedies.
(09-10-2016, 11:50 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Driving on public roads is a privilege that has to be earned; it is not a right.

If you don't want to be subject to sobriety checks take the bus. If you are stopped you still have protection from illegal search.

And I earned it when I got my license.  That doesn't give the police the right to stop me for no reason what so ever.

RE: Sobriety check points - BmorePat87 - 09-10-2016

I believe they have to be advertised for legal purposes. 

RE: Sobriety check points - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 09-10-2016

So does everyone here check to see where check points are for the night before they go out?

RE: Sobriety check points - BmorePat87 - 09-10-2016

(09-10-2016, 03:33 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: So does everyone here check to see where check points are for the night before they go out?

No, I don't really drink (alcoholism runs in the family so I only drink a beer or two), however, my local PD posts them on FB and Twitter. 

RE: Sobriety check points - McC - 09-10-2016

Anyone still drinking and driving can certainly not use not knowing as an excuse.

As to check points, that is the public giving up a minute or two of their time to try to keep dangers to public safety off the streets. Nothing all that sinister about it.

This is also when they catch up to people with warrants who they don't actually look for and expired licenses or no licenses, etc. Kind of a low cost misdemeanor crime sweep.

RE: Sobriety check points - Devils Advocate - 09-10-2016

If they weren't advertised, they would be illegal. 

They must inform the public because they're not suppose to be able to pull you over for no reason. 

Also, if you go through one, you are doing so voluntarily. You have the opportunity to avoid them before hand. 

RE: Sobriety check points - Devils Advocate - 09-10-2016

I'd bet, (in fact I'm sure I've read the stats) that sobriety check points nab more people with warrants and such, than they do drunk drivers. It's a ruse I tell ya... A way for LEO's to randomly stop unsuspecting citizens. They are trying very very hard to pass laws where they can stop and search anyone at anytime for any reason. They already do this in NYC and it's coming to a neighborhood near you before too long.