Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt (/Thread-Protests-erupt-in-Charlotte-after-police-kill-man-12-officers-hurt)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - GMDino - 09-21-2016

This is madness.

I hold on to the belief that the people doing the destruction either don't really care about the incident or they are too dumb to understand it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/09/20/susect-killed-police-involved-shooting-charlotte/90755694/

Quote:CHARLOTTE — Demonstrators started a fire and shut down part of Interstate 85 early Wednesday and about 12 police officers were injured and squad cars damaged when protests erupted after an African-American man was shot and killed by another officer.

Police began using tear gas and flash bangs to disperse demonstrators, who police said had been joined by "agitators."

Police were guarding a Walmart store early Wednesday after protesters smashed the store's doors, according to media reports.
[/url]STORY FROM NEST
My family tested a new thermostat, here's what we learned.

Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts appealed for calm.
Quote:

Follow
[Image: MqszBJdd_normal.jpg]Mayor of Charlotte 

@CLTMayor
I will continue to work with our manager & Chief on officer involved shooting. We are reaching out to community to ask for calm.
11:51 PM - 20 Sep 2016

The protests erupted Tuesday night over the officer-involved shooting death of Keith Lamont Scott, 43. Officers were searching for a suspect with an outstanding warrant Tuesday afternoon at The Village at College Downs when they observed a person — not the suspect they were looking for — inside a vehicle at the apartment complex, according to Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police.
[Image: 636100111251504640-wcnc-protest.png]
Protesters face off with Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police officers in north Charlotte Sept. 20, 2016. (Photo: WCNC-TV, Charlotte)

The man exited the vehicle armed with a firearm, then got back in. When officers approached the car, the person got out of the car with the gun again. The officers considered the man to be "an imminent deadly threat to the officers who subsequently fired their weapon striking the subject," officials said.

Emergency responders transported the man to Carolinas Medical Center where he was pronounced dead.
View image on Twitter
[Image: Cs2L304XEAA9Jnd.jpg:small]

Quote:

Follow
[Image: P8z1uw28_normal.png]CMPD News 

@CMPD
Agitators destroying marked police units. CEU continues to work to restore order and protect our community.
11:14 PM - 20 Sep 2016

No officers were injured in that incident. Detectives recovered a firearm and were interviewing witnesses.

The officer who fired the fatal shot was Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer Brentley Vinson, a police statement said. Both Scott and Vinson are African American, the [i]Charlotte Observer reported[/i].

Vinson was placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure, the Observer reported. Vinson has been with the department for two years, according to the Associated Press.

View image on Twitter
[Image: Cs2Jw5_VYAACJ-H.jpg:small]

Quote:

[url=https://twitter.com/ESPortillo] Follow
[Image: Ely_Portillo_normal.jpg]Ely Portillo 

@ESPortillo
#cmpd chopper overhead at protests after shooting. Riot gear cops
11:05 PM - 20 Sep 2016

Racial tensions are high across the country in the wake of other officer-involved shootings. The shooting death of an unarmed black man named Terence Crutcher on Friday night in Tulsa came under the spotlight Monday as video footage that captured the encounter circulated on social media.

As night fell, a crowd of about 100 people gathered, chanting in protest, the Associated Press reported. Police blocked access to the area, which is about a mile from the campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte.

This type of behavior does NOTHING to help the situation.  

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 09:30 AM)GMDino Wrote: This is madness.

I hold on to the belief that the people doing the destruction either don't really care about the incident or they are too dumb to understand it.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/09/20/susect-killed-police-involved-shooting-charlotte/90755694/

This type of behavior does NOTHING to help the situation.  

Police officer shoots armed suspect, people get mad.  Sadly there are a lot of people who think like you.  You're the last person who should be expressing surprise over this.

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - Bengalbug - 09-21-2016

It's really this simple.

#1) don't do illegal, unlawful things
#2) don't point a fire arm at an officer
#3) listen to all officers commands

If those 3 steps are followed I bet there are handful of shootings over course of a year and not a couple a week.
-----------

If I kill someone, I expect to be shot

If I point a gun at an officer I expect to be shot

If I walk back to my car (maybe to get something or maybe to not listen) when a officer tells me to put hands up or get on the ground... I put myself in a situation for additional force by officer and to potentially be shot.

In any of those situations happen, even my own parents would admit I put myself into the situation. It's not the officers fault it's MY fault.

Unfortunately, until we start educating young children and adults and help people get out of a perpetual lifestyle where people don't know any better, things won't change.

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - GMDino - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 10:42 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Police officer shoots armed suspect, people get mad.  Sadly there are a lot of people who think like you.  You're the last person who should be expressing surprise over this.

If more people thought like me we'd have peaceful demonstrations, thoughtful dialogue and real discussions on the events.

But thanks for another personal attack.  You're at least good at that.   ThumbsUp

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - Sociopathicsteelerfan - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 10:59 AM)GMDino Wrote: If more people thought like me we'd have peaceful demonstrations, thoughtful dialogue and real discussions on the events.

But thanks for another personal attack.  You're at least good at that.   ThumbsUp

Pointing out your past posts is not a personal attack.  Sorry you're so thin skinned that pointing out your own words comes off as an attack.  Sad

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - BmorePat87 - 09-21-2016

Family says he was sitting in the car waiting for his kid to get off the bus, had a book not a gun. Cops say they recovered a firearm.

(09-21-2016, 11:11 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Family says he was sitting in the car waiting for his kid to get off the bus, had a book not a gun. Cops say they recovered a firearm.

Remember the teenager who got shot in the St. Louis area not long after Mike Brown?  His family said he was holding a sandwich.  Turned out the sandwich was actually a handgun.  I'm sure the more conspiratorially inclined among us will bring up a plant gun.  Alex Jones had multiple children who are now part of the anti-law enforcement movement.

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - GMDino - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 11:06 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Pointing out your past posts is not a personal attack.  Sorry you're so thin skinned that pointing out your own words comes off as an attack.  Sad

Misinterpreting my posts is.

Please stay on topic.  Thanks.

(09-21-2016, 11:15 AM)GMDino Wrote: Misinterpreting my posts is.

Please stay on topic.  Thanks.

You started the off topic conversation, please keep up.  Again, you have a history of posts that are anti-law enforcement and have demonstrated an inclination to dismiss the accounts of LEO's.  Pointing out that these protesters, who are protesting the shooting of an armed man, share that particular trait with you.  Hence your surprise at their behavior seems rather fake to me.  Forced at the very least.

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - BmorePat87 - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 11:14 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Remember the teenager who got shot in the St. Louis area not long after Mike Brown?  His family said he was holding a sandwich.  Turned out the sandwich was actually a handgun.  I'm sure the more conspiratorially inclined among us will bring up a plant gun.  Alex Jones had multiple children who are now part of the anti-law enforcement movement.

I'm not inclined to believe they'd plant a gun or even have a gun on hand that they could plant. 

I do find the brief description of what happened to be inadequate, though, but I understand that information isn't always readily available. 

I don't know why a 40 something year old dad would be displaying a gun to cops, especially when they aren't even there for him.

(09-21-2016, 11:19 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You started the off topic conversation, please keep up.  Again, you have a history of posts that are anti-law enforcement and have demonstrated an inclination to dismiss the accounts of LEO's.  Pointing out that these protesters, who are protesting the shooting of an armed man, share that particular trait with you.  Hence your surprise at their behavior seems rather fake to me.  Forced at the very least.

Or its is possible I am for protests, not riots.  I am for questioning events, not playing judge, jury executioner (for either side).

Perhaps a person can have a view that is not black and white about the black and whites.

I am all for discussion on this topic...not for burning down cities over it.  I also not for just blowing every shooting off and hoping for the best in the end.

But enough about me. Mellow

As I was saying in the OP...this type of response does no good at all. Whether an innocent man was killed or the officers were 100% justified.

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - SunsetBengal - 09-21-2016

Police said he had a gun. Police recover a gun. Officer responsible is Black.

Reports of rioters yelling "Black lives matter", "Hands up, don't shoot".

Time to shut down the Interstate and loot the local Walmart.. Police in riot gear, getting pelted with bottles and rocks.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of this crap.

(09-21-2016, 11:39 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Police said he had a gun.  Police recover a gun.  Officer responsible is Black.

Reports of rioters yelling "Black lives matter", "Hands up, don't shoot".

Time to shut down the Interstate and loot the local Walmart..  Police in riot gear, getting pelted with bottles and rocks.

I don't know about you, but I'm getting tired of this crap.

Agreed.

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - CageTheBengal - 09-21-2016

How come police can't stop people who aren't an immediate threat without killing them? They should be trained and willing to do everything possible to avoid death. Tasers, beanbags and shooting someone in the leg ass opposed to killing them all seem like realistic options. Also they should actually be physically fit so there not intimidated by a big  man which results in fearful decision making. If they could defend themselves without weapons they wouldn't have to hide behind one at the first instance of fear. Killing someone for simply not following precise orders is more like living in an country ruled by order not freedom. Whether the person is messed up on drugs, (Most people are these days when opoids are handed out like candy. It's not just "low lives") or just simply deaf or hearing impaired more than likely you're gonna get shot (more then once.) or the tar knocked out of you. Everyone has a right to a trial but it never gets to that point when you're 20 feet underground.

Officers take these jobs knowing there is danger involved but want to cry foul if they sense they might ever get a scratch on them. Am I going to take a job a roofer and then complain when I have to stand on a hot roof and my back aches? These people chose this profession if they can't handle it because they are physically unfit or mentally unstable they need to get out of this line of work. Nobody said it was an easy job.

For the record I don't believe it's just a race issue that's just a piece of the puzzle. I think low income families in general get judged and treated unfairly as well.

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - Bengalbug - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 12:01 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: How come police can't stop people who aren't an immediate threat without killing them? They should be trained and willing to do everything possible to avoid death. Tasers, beanbags and shooting someone in the leg ass opposed to killing them all seem like realistic options. Also they should actually be physically fit so there not intimidated by a big  man which results in fearful decision making. If they could defend themselves without weapons they wouldn't have to hide behind one at the first instance of fear. Killing someone for simply not following precise orders is more like living in an country ruled by order not freedom. Whether the person is messed up on drugs, (Most people are these days when opoids are handed out like candy. It's not just "low lives") or just simply deaf or hearing impaired more than likely you're gonna get shot (more then once.) or tar knocked out of you. Everyone has a right to a trial but it never gets to that point when you're 20 feet underground.

Officers take these jobs knowing there is danger involved but want to cry foul if they sense they might ever get a scratch on them. Am I going to take a job a roofer and then complain when I have to stand on a hot roof and my back aches? These people chose this profession if they can't handle it because they are physically unfit or mentally unstable they need to get out of the line of work. Nobody said it was an easy job.

Why can't we respect authority? Police officers have a tough job and if the people listened to their orders they wouldn't get shot.  Simple as that.  Are they wrong and do they make mistakes?  Absolutely, more than their fair share.  But I would be 99% of the shootings are due to citizens putting themselves in a situation where a shooting can occur

And police are not trained to shoot to injure... Never have been.

(09-21-2016, 12:01 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: How come police can't stop people who aren't an immediate threat without killing them? They should be trained and willing to do everything possible to avoid death. Tasers, beanbags and shooting someone in the leg ass opposed to killing them all seem like realistic options. Also they should actually be physically fit so there not intimidated by a big  man which results in fearful decision making. If they could defend themselves without weapons they wouldn't have to hide behind one at the first instance of fear. Killing someone for simply not following precise orders is more like living in an country ruled by order not freedom. Whether the person is messed up on drugs, (Most people are these days when opoids are handed out like candy. It's not just "low lives") or just simply deaf or hearing impaired more than likely you're gonna get shot (more then once.) or the tar knocked out of you. Everyone has a right to a trial but it never gets to that point when you're 20 feet underground.

Officers take these jobs knowing there is danger involved but want to cry foul if they sense they might ever get a scratch on them. Am I going to take a job a roofer and then complain when I have to stand on a hot roof and my back aches? These people chose this profession if they can't handle it because they are physically unfit or mentally unstable they need to get out of this line of work. Nobody said it was an easy job.

For the record I don't believe it's just a race issue that's just a piece of the puzzle. I think low income families in general get judged and treated unfairly as well.

Exactly.  Less race, more economic.

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - bfine32 - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 12:01 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: How come police can't stop people who aren't an immediate threat without killing them? They should be trained and willing to do everything possible to avoid death. Tasers, beanbags and shooting someone in the leg ass opposed to killing them all seem like realistic options. Also they should actually be physically fit so there not intimidated by a big  man which results in fearful decision making. If they could defend themselves without weapons they wouldn't have to hide behind one at the first instance of fear. Killing someone for simply not following precise orders is more like living in an country ruled by order not freedom. Whether the person is messed up on drugs, (Most people are these days when opoids are handed out like candy. It's not just "low lives") or just simply deaf or hearing impaired more than likely you're gonna get shot (more then once.) or the tar knocked out of you. Everyone has a right to a trial but it never gets to that point when you're 20 feet underground.

"Shoot them in the leg" for real? Why not just shoot the gun out of their hand?

As to the rest: I'm sure each office has evaluation critera both physical and mental that LEO's must meet or excede. Because they are are not to the standard that you require is irrelivent.

Define low income.. Are we talking about the single mom working 2 jobs scraping by that is showing her kids how important work is. 

Or are we talking about the low income that never get off gov assistance due to laziness, etc?  

If we are talking about the latter... Well that group is the majority of the reason for why we have a lack of education in the inner city.  Why kids are not involved in sports, family, etc... But drugs & gangs.  Lack of respec, and woe is me attitudet.  

I don't pitty the latter group, but feel we should help the first

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - Millhouse - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 12:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: "Shoot them in the leg" for real? Why not just shoot the gun out of their hand?

As to the rest: I'm sure each office has evaluation critera both physical and mental that LEO's must meet or excede. Because they are are not to the standard that you require is irrelivent.

Its possible, I've seen it done before.

[Image: giphy.gif]

RE: Protests erupt in Charlotte after police kill man; 12 officers hurt - PhilHos - 09-21-2016

(09-21-2016, 12:01 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: How come police can't stop people who aren't an immediate threat without killing them? 
Ummm, they do, though. There are what, thousands of, if not more, police interactions every single day. The overwhelming majority of which don't involve the officer even pulling a weapon/tazer out of its holster.