Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Off Topic Forums (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Off-Topic-Forums)
+--- Forum: Politics & Religion 2.0 (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Politics-Religion-2-0)
+---- Forum: P & R Archive (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-P-R-Archive)
+---- Thread: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People (/Thread-Regarding-Marriage-Equality-I-m-Proud-of-the-American-People)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - Johnny Cupcakes - 06-27-2015

The first thing that I thought when I heard that homosexual Americans would now have the right to marry was a happy, good for them, equality won, type of feeling. The second thing was: "Man, it's gonna be fun to watch conservatives freak out over this.".

I haven't seen it though. I've seen a negative post or two on Facebook regarding the issue, but for the most part, all I've seen is love and acceptance. Even some of the more conservative people that I know have chimed in to say "congrats", and the majority of my Facebook feed has been a rainbow since yesterday morning.

I'm happy to see it happen that way. I'm sure that I'll read bitter posts here and there over the next few days and on into the future, but it seems that a good deal of Americans are actually happy with the outcome. I'm glad that there are more good people around than I had previously assumed.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - fredtoast - 06-27-2015

They seem to understand that it was coming.

It is my theory that in most cases these people get whipped into a frenzy because Foxnews and the right wing Republicans are out there stirring up the hatred. But in this case even FoxNews and the politicians know it is a losing battle.

I am sure there are some preachers and hard core religious types crying that this is the end of the world. But without the big mainstream news shows and politicians pushing it there won't be as much backlash.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - bfine32 - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 03:17 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: The first thing that I thought when I heard that homosexual Americans would now have the right to marry was a happy, good for them, equality won, type of feeling.  The second thing was: "Man, it's gonna be fun to watch conservatives freak out over this.".  

I haven't seen it though.  I've seen a negative post or two on Facebook regarding the issue, but for the most part, all I've seen is love and acceptance.  Even some of the more conservative people that I know have chimed in to say "congrats", and the majority of my Facebook feed has been a rainbow since yesterday morning.

I'm happy to see it happen that way.  I'm sure that I'll read bitter posts here and there over the next few days and on into the future, but it seems that a good deal of Americans are actually happy with the outcome.  I'm glad that there are more good people around than I had previously assumed.

I think it is because of the negative light that those that opposed SSM are placed.

For instance I made clear if taken to an popular vote that I would vote against the legitimization of SSM; however, my vote did not matter as the Highest Court in the land summarily made the decision. With the decision made all that can be done is accept it.

I will say that I doubt you've heard the last of it.

Contrarily do you think there would have been any "noise" if the decision would have been reversed?

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - StLucieBengal - 06-27-2015

Why are proud of the people? They vote it down consistently. Only when a court decides to legislate and this forced on the people?

Go pat your unelected lifetime appointees on the back... Or at least the ones who think its ok to force their will on the people your so proud to congratulate.

Did gay marriage really win anything when all they did was bully it on people? It will just polarize it more now that people see they are forced to accept.

Personal Freedom takes another big hit. Maybe that's what your cheering.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - StLucieBengal - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 03:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: They seem to understand that it was coming.

It is my theory that in most cases these people get whipped into a frenzy because Foxnews and the right wing Republicans are out there stirring up the hatred.  But in this case even FoxNews and the politicians know it is a losing battle.

I am sure there are some preachers and hard core religious types crying that this is the end of the world.  But without the big mainstream news shows and politicians pushing it there won't be as much backlash.

Nothing to do with foxnews or "religious types"

Personal freedom and personal choice loses today: The right to be governed locally and not lorded over by a federal government.

So much for letting people vote and be governed as they choose.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - michaelsean - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 05:16 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why are proud of the people?  They vote it down consistently.   Only when a court decides to legislate and this forced on the people?  

Go pat your unelected lifetime appointees on the back... Or at least the ones who think its ok to force their will on the people your so proud to congratulate.  

Did gay marriage really win anything when all they did was bully it on people?   It will just polarize it more now that people see they are forced to accept.  

Personal Freedom takes another big hit.    Maybe that's what your cheering.

Seems JC, yeah I called him that, is talking about the reaction.

(06-27-2015, 05:24 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Seems JC, yeah I called him that, is talking about the reaction.

It's not a genuine reaction.... When you have no choice but compliance what is there to react?

I'm all for equal rights but not at the expense of letting people vote how they want their communities to be ran. You want something to happen then build a coalition..... But they never could so they just used unelected people who are accountable to no one to do their bidding... And still barely passed.

Personal freedoms > gay rights... Or any groups rights. Because personal freedom affects us all .

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - BmorePat87 - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 05:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: It's not a genuine reaction....  When you have no choice but compliance what is there to react?  

I'm all for equal rights but not at the expense of letting people vote how they want their communities to be ran.    You want something to happen then build a coalition.....   But they never could so they just used unelected people who are accountable to no one to do their bidding... And still barely passed.  

Personal freedoms > gay rights... Or any groups rights.  Because personal freedom affects us all .

"I'm all for equal rights, but only when the majority agrees to have equal rights".

BTW, marriage equality is a personal freedom. And you're not even close to being a libertarian.

(06-27-2015, 05:43 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: "I'm all for equal rights, but only when the majority agrees to have equal rights".

BTW, marriage equality is a personal freedom. And you're not even close to being a libertarian.

Getting married is a personal freedom.   Forcing others to recognize your marriage violates their personal freedom.

I am not whatever you are... Your as anti personal freedom as they get. Unless you get to determine who wins and who loses

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 05:16 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Why are proud of the people?  They vote it down consistently.   Only when a court decides to legislate and this forced on the people?  

Did gay marriage really win anything when all they did was bully it on people?   It will just polarize it more now that people see they are forced to accept.  

Personal Freedom takes another big hit.    Maybe that's what your cheering.

Meh...it's not the first time the SCOTUS had to rule on protecting the civil rights of a minority group of people.  However even if you had held the issue to a general popular vote, SSM most likely would've passed by at least 60% in favor of it.  Besides most states were legalizing it anyways.  Peoples views are changing.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - RICHMONDBENGAL_07 - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 05:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Getting married is a personal freedom.   Forcing others to recognize your marriage violates their personal freedom.  

I am not whatever you are...   Your as anti personal freedom as they get.   Unless you get to determine who wins and who loses

No forcing the government to recognize their marriage as equal to everyone else's is protecting their civil rights.

(06-27-2015, 05:52 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote:  Meh...it's not the first time the SCOTUS had to rule on protecting the civil rights of a minority group of people.  However even if you had held the issue to a general popular vote, SSM most likely would've passed by at least 60% in favor of it.  Besides most states were legalizing it anyways.  Peoples views are changing.

I agree it would have eventually happened in All states.   And sooner than later....  I just wish they would have let it happen organically..   I think this is part of the reason we have such racial strife.   It never got a chance to happen organically.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - Belsnickel - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 05:55 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I agree it would have eventually happened in All states.   And sooner than later....  I just wish they would have let it happen organically..   I think this is part of the reason we have such racial strife.   It never got a chance to happen organically.

100 years from being made citizens and being guaranteed equal rights wasn't enough time to give up the ghost on it happening organically?

(06-27-2015, 05:54 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: No forcing the government to recognize their marriage as equal to everyone else's is protecting their civil rights.

I have always argued that when you har any "rights" debate. Someone will always have their rights trampled. regulation is just a way to pick winners and losers. If everyone has a choice then we have all equal rights.

As far as marriage. They could have voted in their state. To win you have to build a coalition. They did it on 70% of the state's... Why not the last few? The. Eveyone would have would have held their rights.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - BmorePat87 - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 05:49 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Getting married is a personal freedom.   Forcing others to recognize your marriage violates their personal freedom.  

I am not whatever you are...   Your as anti personal freedom as they get.   Unless you get to determine who wins and who loses

Only the government has to recognize it, so no one is being forced to do anything.

Keep repping that fake libertarian in your signature.

(06-27-2015, 05:59 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have always argued that when you har any "rights" debate.   Someone will always have their rights trampled.   regulation is just a way to pick winners and losers.    If everyone has a choice then we have all equal rights.  

As far as marriage.  They could have voted in their state.   To win you have to build a coalition.   They did it on 70% of the state's...  Why not the last few?   The. Eveyone would have would have held their rights.

Telling the government they can't set regulations that prevent gay people from marrying is the opposite of regulations. That's the awesome thing. No one's rights were trampled. The power of the government to discriminate was trampled on.

(06-27-2015, 05:58 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: 100 years from being made citizens and being guaranteed equal rights wasn't enough time to give up the ghost on it happening organically?

How many times do you hear anti black people say things like... "They got in for a quota" .... I think these things hurt the blacks in America. Yes they also helped . Especially initially and I agree with it then.... .. But looking back they should have been tapered off as we got farther away from 64. I think it would have helped. The anti black minority is so small now it's ridiculous .... But it feeds itself on these types of regulations .

(06-27-2015, 05:59 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Only the government has to recognize it, so no one is being forced to do anything.

Keep repping that fake libertarian in your signature.

Until they force churches to do gay weddings or force someone to participate in their ceremony against their religious feeedoms.

RE: Regarding Marriage Equality, I'm Proud of the American People - Belsnickel - 06-27-2015

(06-27-2015, 06:03 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: How many times do you hear anti black people say things like...  "They got in for a quota"  ....  I think these things hurt the blacks in America.   Yes they also helped . Especially initially and I agree with it then....  .. But looking back they should have been tapered off as we got farther away from 64.    I think it would have helped.   The anti black minority is so small now it's ridiculous ....    But it feeds itself on these types of regulations .

I'm not talking about quotas or anything. We are just talking about equal rights.

(06-27-2015, 06:05 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Until they force churches to do gay weddings or force someone to participate in their ceremony against their religious feeedoms.

Except the decision made it clear that the church thing can't happen. The issue with businesses is a little muddy and will still have to be hammered out since apparently corporations are people now. But we shall see.