Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? (/Thread-Blow-it-up-Or-go-for-a-quick-rebound)

Pages: 1 2 3

Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - Shake n Blake - 12-01-2016

A lot of people are talking like this is "the end of an era". While I do think there is a lot of fat to trim from this roster (and coaching staff), we have key pieces in the right places for a quick rebound.

Dalton, Green, Hill, Gio, Eifert, Boling, Atkins, Dunlap, and Burfict are all good players. Iloka and Williams have their moments.

Now here's what I think would get this team to bounce back quickly...

1. A complete rebuild of the line. The Bodine experiment is over. We need to hedge the bet on Ogbuehi by signing a solid veteran tackle who can actually play all snaps if necessary, because it probably will be. As unpopular as it may be, I'd look for Whit's replacement with that top 10 pick. It seems hard to find a 10 year tackle late in the first, so this is a prime opportunity. Keep Zeitler, as I think he'll be affordable after this season.

My line in 2016 would look like this:

top tackle prospect - Boling - FA/draft pick - Zeitler - FA

2. Draft for speed at LB and WR. We are sorely lacking LBs who go sideline to sideline. AJ Green goes down and we have no one that scares anyone deep. Terrelle Pryor could be a semi-affordable option. If not, draft someone.

3. Better depth on the line and another pass rusher. If possible, I'd cut MJ and look for an upgrade that can actually get to the passer. We're paying MJ too much for what we're seeing this year. Time to replace Peko as well. Let a 2nd or 3rd rounder fight it out with Billings.

Player-wise, I don't think we're far off. As far as coaching goes, I think PA and Marv take the most blame for this season, and both need replaced in order to right this ship and advance further than round 1 of the playoffs. That said, if we somehow bring in a new HC, I would want him to be able to hand pick his staff.

So where do you stand? Do you think this team can rebound quickly with a few good moves, a solid draft and some new coaches? Or do you think we're in for a lengthy rebuilding process?

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - Thundercloud - 12-01-2016

This is good thinking, Shake.

I agree about a future tackle, but I think we need to sign Whit back, if possible. I don't see much decline, and we need his stability and performance as we rebuild. I also haven't completely given up on Ced. I think I've seen some improvement, and with a solid training camp, he might come back stronger. However, I agree on a solid veteran free agent tackle.

Right on center. Elflein from Ohio State would be a nice second rounder.

Deep speed is a pressing need for us. I don't have a draft idea yet, but we can't rely on AJ as the only guy who can get deep. I think we also need to spend higher picks on linebackers in general. Just think what Tez could do with a really high quality linebacker beside him.

That first pick is going to be quite a debate. It would be hard to resist a helluva pass rusher, but you can't use high picks for everything.

I'm hoping this year we might break from tradition and use some of our extra picks to package a deal and maybe move to get two picks in the second round or something. Anyway, as you can see, I liked your thoughts.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - bengalfan74 - 12-01-2016

Quick fix possible if someone can gag and duck tape MB into a closet for opening week of Free Agency.

I fully believe we still have a very solid core to build around. But, I also fully believe we will have to go full bore into free agency and sign at least 3 top tier FA's for these guys to have a true chance.

This core does not have time to wait on the draft to get us there. We probably have 5 or 6 starters needing replaced. Peko, Maualuga, Adam Jones, Dansby, Bodine, Ogbuehi. And there's a couple more that could be upgraded.

We can't rely on the draft and 2 or 3 bargain basement FA's to fix this mess.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - Shake n Blake - 12-01-2016

@Thundercloud: Thanks. I'm torn on Whit. He hasn't fallen off yet, but he's 35. Better to let go too soon than too late. Plus great tackle prospects usually get plucked early. I look at Dallas and I want that.

That said, signing Whit would allow us to draft a different need and push back tackle another year...but we may not have a top pick to look for a top tackle prospect then. There's definitely multiple ways to approach the coming draft.

All of this is moot if Whit hangs it up though. We'd definitely need a tackle at that point.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - CageTheBengal - 12-01-2016

Keepers

Dalton
Green
Boling
Hill
Gio
Eifert
Dunlap
Atkins
Burfict
Whit

Need to go

Peko
Rey M
Dansby
LaFell
Bodine
Jones

These are the guys who I think need to go and guys we can still build around. We still have a lot of talent on the roster I don't think it would be wise to blow everything up. Changing the coaching staff is a must though. Anyone not mentioned who has had a down year I think could rebound with a new scheme and coach.

We really need to ship off McCarron though. A quality backup is a luxury we can't afford anymore when we can trade him for draft picks and fill needs a long the starting lineup.

We could have quality players behind the starters but we have no idea because Marvin wont let them play even though the season is pretty much done. It'd be nice to get an idea on guys like Dennard before we enter an off-season were the roster has to be evaluated.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - TheLeonardLeap - 12-01-2016

Easy, blow it up, because the other option relies upon "smart moves in draft/FA, plus some coaching changes". We can't even get ONE of those lately, let alone all three.

I guess technically they have made coaching changes, but it was all replacing people who left with people who are worse. So I am assuming you meant good coaching changes.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - Atomic Orange - 12-01-2016

Blow up the coaching staff and then go from there.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - leonardfan40 - 12-01-2016

If they get aggressive (which we all know they won't) then a quick fix is certainly possible. A couple of good coaches and this team as is could be in the playoffs.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - Derrick - 12-01-2016

(12-01-2016, 07:22 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: A lot of people are talking like this is "the end of an era". While I do think there is a lot of fat to trim from this roster (and coaching staff), we have key pieces in the right places for a quick rebound.

Dalton, Green, Hill, Gio, Eifert, Boling, Atkins, Dunlap, and Burfict are all good players. Iloka and Williams have their moments.

Now here's what I think would get this team to bounce back quickly...

1. A complete rebuild of the line. The Bodine experiment is over. We need to hedge the bet on Ogbuehi by signing a solid veteran tackle who can actually play all snaps if necessary, because it probably will be. As unpopular as it may be, I'd look for Whit's replacement with that top 10 pick. It seems hard to find a 10 year tackle late in the first, so this is a prime opportunity. Keep Zeitler, as I think he'll be affordable after this season.

My line in 2016 would look like this:

top tackle prospect - Boling - FA/draft pick - Zeitler - FA

2. Draft for speed at LB and WR. We are sorely lacking LBs who go sideline to sideline. AJ Green goes down and we have no one that scares anyone deep. Terrelle Pryor could be a semi-affordable option. If not, draft someone.

3. Better depth on the line and another pass rusher. If possible, I'd cut MJ and look for an upgrade that can actually get to the passer. We're paying MJ too much for what we're seeing this year. Time to replace Peko as well. Let a 2nd or 3rd rounder fight it out with Billings.

Player-wise, I don't think we're far off. As far as coaching goes, I think PA and Marv take the most blame for this season, and both need replaced in order to right this ship and advance further than round 1 of the playoffs. That said, if we somehow bring in a new HC, I would want him to be able to hand pick his staff.

So where do you stand? Do you think this team can rebound quickly with a few good moves, a solid draft and some new coaches? Or do you think we're in for a lengthy rebuilding process?
I voted for the 3 year rebuild because this org has not drafted well lately (Og and Hunt are two examples from a much longer list). They only take over-the-hill FAs for 1 year fills. And keep players like Peko and Maulaluga way past their sell by date. Therefore, I have little to no hope the org steps up and gets the necessary players to augment Dalton, Eifert, Whitt, Boling, Zeitler, Dunlap, Atkins and Burfict - maybe even DreKirk.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - Stormborn - 12-01-2016

I think it'll take two years.

This is still very rough but it's taken about a week or so to accumulate:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_B01UfsLdOaRXl2YXpGMGVnbk0/view

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - Nately120 - 12-01-2016

I'm just glad we aren't one of the 20+ fanbases that want to toss our QB in the trash so we can "Get our Dak Prescott" in the 4th this year.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - SunsetBengal - 12-01-2016

(12-01-2016, 07:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: @Thundercloud: Thanks. I'm torn on Whit. He hasn't fallen off yet, but he's 35. Better to let go too soon than too late. Plus great tackle prospects usually get plucked early. I look at Dallas and I want that.

That said, signing Whit would allow us to draft a different need and push back tackle another year...but we may not have a top pick to look for a top tackle prospect then. There's definitely multiple ways to approach the coming draft.

All of this is moot if Whit hangs it up though. We'd definitely need a tackle at that point.

Keeping Whit isn't always a bad thing.  Besides, he being a 2nd round guy proves that you don't always need to spend a top pick on a Stud OT.  They turn up, every year.  Guys that somehow slid down the draft chart, that turn out to be tremendous pros.  Granted, our scouting dept. is a bit lacking, but it isn't too tough to find and spotlight guys that fit into what your team is wanting to accomplish.  PA getting out of the picture would be a great move, in that direction.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - J24 - 12-01-2016

Honestly we need to do both but that's the reality of the NFL. Good teams never rebuild because there always building every season.

(12-01-2016, 09:49 PM)J24 Wrote: Honestly we need to do both but that's the reality of the NFL. Good teams never rebuild because there always building every season.

This team has been on the cusp of "great" for several years.  What do you see as the one common factor that held them back from greatness?

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - Sled21 - 12-01-2016

There's no reason to "Blow it up". This team only has 3 wins, but every loss was by a few points. It's not like they are constantly getting blown out....couple of more pieces and a new coach and we are right back in contention.

(12-01-2016, 10:05 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There's no reason to "Blow it up". This team only has 3 wins, but every loss was by a few points. It's not like they are constantly getting blown out....couple of more pieces and a new coach and we are right back in contention.

Meh, kind of tough to go with that logic.  It's not like they were blowing everyone out, last year.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - CageTheBengal - 12-01-2016

(12-01-2016, 10:06 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Meh, kind of tough to go with that logic.  It's not like they were blowing everyone out, last year.

Actually last year was an amazing year to be a Bengals fan until Dalton got hurt. By far the best Bengals team I've witnessed. It's not like you need to blow everybody out to be a good team.

(12-01-2016, 10:16 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Actually last year was an amazing year to be a Bengals fan until Dalton got hurt. By far the best Bengals team I've witnessed. It's not like you need to blow everybody out to be a good team.

You are absolutely right.  They weren't blowing everyone out, but they were winning the tough, close games that we are losing this year.  I didn't really mean that to sound like I wanted to "blow it up", as I voted the opposite.  I'm thinking that in certain respects, like coaching, and certain position groups, need to be blown up and reformed.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - bengalfan74 - 12-01-2016

(12-01-2016, 10:05 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: This team has been on the cusp of "great" for several years.  What do you see as the one common factor that held them back from greatness?

Oh there's no doubt Lewis and most of the coaching staff need to go. But I have little faith that's going to happen. I'll still reply to threads as if he's no longer here.

Hey doesn't hurt to dream.

RE: Blow it up? Or go for a quick rebound? - CKwi88 - 12-01-2016

I can't help but think that this team is a hard nosed offensive minded coach, a kicker, and an O line away from being among the best in the league.

Our defense hasn't been stellar, no doubt. But it has kept us in some games that our offense should have been able to win (Bills, Redskins, Steelers, Giants)

Red zone whooped our ass this year, but all the tools are there when healthy. Just need better protection for Andy in my eyes.