Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) (/Thread-Free-Agency-first-thoughts-Defense)

Pages: 1 2

Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Burma - 01-07-2017

Quick rundown of my thoughts the free agents this year and how our roster and draft might influence it.

Player info from https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-2017-free-agency-tracker/

Defense:

Safety:
The free agent safeties this year are very good. 5 safeties are graded 85 or better by PFF and that is just for the ones under 29. Eric Berry, Tony Jefferson, and John Cyprien headline a deep group.  

Outlook:  I think there is zero chance the Bengals sign a free agent safety of any note.  Iloka and Williams are the safeties moving forward.  Iloka is solid and Williams has a nice new contract. Also, if the Bengals do feel they can upgrade at the safety position they have the chance to select one of 3 extremely good college safeties with their first pick in Jabrill Peppers, Jamal Adams, or Malik Hooker.

Cornerback:  Not a particularly inspiring group. A.J. Bouye, and Malcolm Butler far and away the best players here.  

Outlook:  Very unlikely to sign an outside free agent CB.  Dre Kirkpatrick is in the 2nd tier of players in this group and there are really no significant upgrades.  Resigning Kirkpatrick would be the best course of action here as any marginal skill upgrade would be offset by unfamiliarity with a new system.

Linebacker:  A very poor group of free agents for the Bengals needs here. Dont'a Hightower is the highest rated and he is surely to get locked up long term by the Pats.

Outlook:  Beyond a camp body I can't imagine any signings being made here. Burfict, Rey, and Vigil are as good as anyone on this list.  If the Bengals do choose to upgrade the LB core this is the draft to do it.  There are at least 4 players in Reuben Foster, Zach Cunningham, Raekwon McMillan, and Jarrad Davis available with the Bengals first 2 picks that could supplant all but Burfict.

Def. Tackle:  Calais Campbell and Kawaan Short head line uninspiring group.  Both are in line for $100 million +  contracts per sportstrac estimates.  Abry Jones and Jarvis Jenkins would be attainable and upgrades over Peko at mid level contracts

Outlook:  Possible, but not likely.  Sims played better as the season went on, and Billings and Thompson will be back.  Almost certainly there will be at least one DT chosen in the draft. Malik McDowell, Carlos Watkins, Elijah Qualls, and Montravius Adams will be available within the Bengals first 3 picks and almost certainly I believe 1 of them will be selected.

Edge:  A very good group. Melvin Ingram, Chandler Jones, and Jason Pierre-Paul are the big names in this group.  And the next tier offers several other solid players.  

Outlook:  I think it's very likely hope the Bengals sign 1 if not 2 free agents here.  Players I think would be very solid contributors at very manageable contracts are Datone Jones, 6'4" 270lbs, formerly of the Packers. Jones was miscast as a 3/4 DE in the Packers defense before being moved to OLB this season.  Jones could be very useful in a Gilberry role in which he alternates between DE and rush DT in obvious passing downs.   The other player I would look at is Devin Taylor, 6'7" 280 lbs, from the Lions.  Taylor struggled this season as a starter but in 2015 in a rotational role he notched 7 sacks.  Taylor could provide an immediate upgrade over Hunt.  Both are young players under 28 (Jones 26, Taylor 27).  Sportrac is projecting Jones see about 4 mill per year, and Taylor most likely would be at 1 mill per year.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Bengalholic - 01-07-2017

There are two LB's that I think would be really good fits for the Bengals: Zach Brown and Jamie Collins.

Both are solid, well-rounded players, who also provide solid coverage skills...which is something this LBing corps desperately needs more of. 

Brown would be a nice replacement for Maualuga in the middle, and ether would immediately be a huge upgrade at SAM.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Burma - 01-07-2017

(01-07-2017, 04:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: There are two LB's that I think would be really good fits for the Bengals: Zach Brown and Jamie Collins.

Both are solid, well-rounded players, who also provide solid coverage skills...which is something this LBing corps desperately needs more of. 

Brown would be a nice replacement for Maualuga in the middle, and ether would immediately be a huge upgrade at SAM.

Both could be nice.  I was banging the drum hard for Collins in that 2013 draft. He could be great here.  But what I am reading is that Cleveland will franchise tag him if they can't extend. He's going to be a corner piece of their new 4-3 defense they are transitioning to.  

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - SunsetBengal - 01-07-2017

My first thought is; Why can't we draft a guy like Bobby Wagner?

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Burma - 01-08-2017

(01-07-2017, 11:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My first thought is;  Why can't we draft a guy like Bobby Wagner?

No kidding.  This approach they have had on building a defense is really odd. Like building a sandwhich with the best bread you can find but leaving spam in the middle. 

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - SunsetBengal - 01-08-2017

(01-08-2017, 12:14 AM)Burma Wrote: No kidding.  This approach they have had on building a defense is really odd. Like building a sandwhich with the best bread you can find but leaving spam in the middle. 

If you ever want to show a good example of how to defend a screen, Wagner did one in the 1st half that could be the all time demo video.  He was the only defender within 10 yards of the play, defeated the block, then took down the receiver in open field, for minimal gain.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - NATI BENGALS - 01-08-2017

Dontari poe replaces peko and thompson and sims
Jabaal sheard replaces gilberry and hunt
Kiko alonso replaces dansby and maualuga

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - ochocincos - 01-09-2017

(01-07-2017, 11:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: My first thought is;  Why can't we draft a guy like Bobby Wagner?

Reuben Foster should be available at 9.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - ochocincos - 01-09-2017

(01-08-2017, 06:13 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Dontari poe replaces peko and thompson and sims
Jabaal sheard replaces gilberry and hunt
Kiko alonso replaces dansby and maualuga

Would like any of these players. I think Jabaal Sheard might be the most realistic since he's been losing playing time this year in favor of Trey Flowers.
He's only 27 years old, so he still should have a few good years left in him.

Any of these players may also come with too hefty of a price tag though ($5+ mill a year?), and this draft is heavily favored for defense, so I'd think the team looks to FA for offense and drafts more defensive players. Plus, they need to try to retain Whitworth, Zeitler, and Kirkpatrick, plus maybe LaFell, Peko, Peerman. They also will likely consider saving some $$ for extending another player or two who is entering a contract year.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - THE PISTONS - 01-11-2017

(01-07-2017, 04:24 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: There are two LB's that I think would be really good fits for the Bengals: Zach Brown and Jamie Collins.

The Bengals would NEVER pay Collins. That's why the Patriots traded him.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - CanadianBengal - 01-15-2017

Poe would be a great add. Peko is done Thompson has never seized job. Sims is at best a sub. Billings is an unknown. Let him earn a spot.

Cut Mauluaga and Johnson and use that money to upgrade.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Bilbo Saggins - 01-15-2017

OP is underrating Alonso. He is quite good and would immediately be the 2nd best lb on the team.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Sled21 - 01-18-2017

(01-09-2017, 10:08 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Reuben Foster should be available at 9.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Burma - 01-20-2017

(01-15-2017, 11:33 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: OP is underrating Alonso. He is quite good and would immediately be the 2nd best lb on the team.

Not under rating Kiko at all.  I didn't imagine Miami would let him walk.  I assume he will be resigned as soon as possible.

(01-15-2017, 04:41 AM)CanadianBengal Wrote: Poe would be a great add. Peko is done Thompson has never seized job. Sims is at best a sub. Billings is an unknown. Let him earn a spot. 

Cut Mauluaga and Johnson and use that money to upgrade.

According to Sportrac Poe should get a contract near $100 mill.  That's not Bengals territory.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - schroomytunes1 - 01-20-2017

I agree the Defense needs to be upgraded, I'm holding out hope that we can get it done in the draft. If we can trade AJMac for a 2nd and 4th that would be huge. So strictly going with what we have now I would do this regarding FA:

1) Cut Maualuga- saves us 3.7 against the cap now, he plays only 30% anyways.
2) let Peko walk- good team player, but doesn't add value on the field anymore.

Re-sign

1) Dre- he's earned another contract

Free Agent Pickups

1) Sean Spence- ILB- 5'11 240- still young would give us solid depth at a position of need.
2) Duke Iehenacho- FS 6'1 208- 27yrs old. would give us better depth in the secondary
3) Nick Novak-K enough said.

I would build through the draft!!

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - phil413 - 02-07-2017

That's actually a pretty good breakdown. Biggest defensive domino is Dre, you're on point about comparable players vs continuity (for better or worse we're used to that word). Since practically don't cut anyone, they may give him a descent signing bonus and hopefully have stability with a pair of good (not great) corners for years if WJ3 at least holds his own.

Cincy is all about kicking tires. After they sign, or replace Dre they'll likely wait for the Plan B DE/DT tweener types that you mention to get lost in the shuffle. The first agent to settle for average money to come to Cincy and be a rotational guy. Nothing is promised as they very well could draft a DL, but since they like covering their butts to not have to draft need, DE would be a descent get. It's a shame the LB class isn't better. They may get a younger MLB if they cut Rey Rey. Maybe they get one coming off an injury or something and just wanting a chance to showcase to sign just prior to the draft as their options dwindle.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - ochocincos - 02-07-2017

While there are a few LBs in the draft that could improve the Bengals roster (Foster, Cunningham, Davis) in the first two rounds, I think the group overall is not very strong. If the Bengals choose to wait until the third round or later for a LB, they need to instead consider getting a FA LB.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 02-08-2017

Reps to you Burma for the thread man and mentioning one of the guys i want that i think would fit in here
very well in Devin Taylor. He has the size we like in our Ends and came along last year very nicely.

Also with Holic and Zach Brown or getting Sean Spence. Should add a younger LB than Dansby and a better
backer than Maualuga. Wouldn't mind bringing back Sims or getting Jarvis Jenkins as insurance at DT in case
Billings isn't quite ready, cut Peko and Maualuga and maybe even MJ.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - BenZoo2 - 02-09-2017

I'll throw this out there for your feedback. Any thoughts on releasing pac man, not resigning dre and signing Bouye, Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson? Any would cost less then both of ours and especially with Bouye we would have two young, talented cbs locked up for awhile.

RE: Free Agency first thoughts (Defense) - Jpoore - 02-12-2017

(02-09-2017, 08:42 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I'll throw this out there for your feedback.  Any thoughts on releasing pac man, not resigning dre and signing Bouye, Gilmore or Trumaine Johnson?  Any would cost less then both of ours and especially with Bouye we would have two young, talented cbs locked up for awhile.

bouye is 111-15 million expected