Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls (/Thread-How-Physical-Play-Reduces-Personal-Fouls)

Pages: 1 2

How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Fan_in_Kettering - 01-14-2017

Okay, the headline is borderline "click bait" but at least I admit it.

Please understand what I'm saying below; I am not in any way, shape, or form advocating Cincinnati start taking cheap shots on defense -- not even against the Steelers. I'm not even suggesting the Bengals play like the Steelers -- but I fear for the defense if they don't put a little more energy into tackling and shedding blocks. More physical play from the entire defense will reduce the number of personal fouls the Bengals receive and here's why:

If the entire defense hits hard, it looks normal to the officials.

If only one or two players hit hard, the officials assume those players are playing dirty -- and the officials target those players.

Specific to the Cincinnati Bengals, if the entire defense starts laying wood and making ball carriers flinch, then what Vontaze Burfict, George Iloka, and Adam Jones do won't look out of place. Officials won't pull a flag!

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Trademark - 01-14-2017

They'll still throw a flag especially against big market teams or in the playoffs because it's rigged for big market teams

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - treee - 01-15-2017

(01-14-2017, 11:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Okay, the headline is borderline "click bait" but at least I admit it.

Please understand what I'm saying below; I am not in any way, shape, or form advocating Cincinnati start taking cheap shots on defense -- not even against the Steelers. I'm not even suggesting the Bengals play like the Steelers -- but I fear for the defense if they don't put a little more energy into tackling and shedding blocks. More physical play from the entire defense will reduce the number of personal fouls the Bengals receive and here's why:

If the entire defense hits hard, it looks normal to the officials.

If only one or two players hit hard, the officials assume those players are playing dirty -- and the officials target those players.

Specific to the Cincinnati Bengals, if the entire defense starts laying wood and making ball carriers flinch, then what Vontaze Burfict, George Iloka, and Adam Jones do won't look out of place. Officials won't pull a flag!

You make a good point from a logical perspective. If the entire team is (within the specifications of the rules) hitting hard, then it would decrease the chance of certain players standing out and receiving unwarranted personal foul penalties.

(01-14-2017, 11:29 PM)Trademark Wrote: They'll still throw a flag especially against big market teams or in the playoffs because it's rigged for big market teams

I'd like to see someone crunch the numbers. Perhaps the parameters could be the average number of personal fouls called in favor of teams that have a market value above a certain dollar amount versus the average number of personal fouls called in favor of teams below said market value.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Shake n Blake - 01-15-2017

(01-14-2017, 11:26 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Specific to the Cincinnati Bengals, if the entire defense starts laying wood and making ball carriers flinch, then what Vontaze Burfict, George Iloka, and Adam Jones do won't look out of place. Officials won't pull a flag!

Maybe, maybe not. Part of me believes the Steelers get away with dirty hits because they spread out who lays the hits. One week it's Mitchell. Then it's Shazier. Then Dupree. Then the o-line takes some cheap shots. The league can't key in on one guy, ala Burfict.

That said, I have a feeling that if the Bengals played the same way, they'd be vilified and demonized with no mercy by the league and media. The Steelers are the only team with a license to play like it's the 70's.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-15-2017

(01-15-2017, 12:20 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Maybe, maybe not. Part of me believes the Steelers get away with dirty hits because they spread out who lays the hits. One week it's Mitchell. Then it's Shazier. Then Dupree. Then the o-line takes some cheap shots. The league can't key in on one guy, ala Burfict.

That said, I have a feeling that if the Bengals played the same way, they'd be vilified and demonized with no mercy by the league and media. The Steelers are the only team with a license to play like it's the 70's.

Yeah, so hoping the Chiefs beat their ass.

But even if they do, the refs will try to make it close and the Steelers will cheap shot a Chief or two to take them out
of the Playoffs. It is imminent and an easy prediction.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Shake n Blake - 01-15-2017

(01-15-2017, 03:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, so hoping the Chiefs beat their ass.

But even if they do, the refs will try to make it close and the Steelers will cheap shot a Chief or two to take them out

Chiefs in Arrowhead is a tough draw. Should be an interesting game. 

I might actually watch for a change.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-15-2017

(01-15-2017, 03:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Chiefs in Arrowhead is a tough draw. Should be an interesting game. 

I might actually watch for a change.

Yeah it is, that Defense is good. Pig Pen should have troubles.

The Chiefs just win man and no one talks about them.

Tyreke Hill could light up the Steelers on ST's, fastest player in the NFL.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Sled21 - 01-15-2017

I tell ya, if JJ Watt comes back with a heathy back, the Texans defense is going to be devastating to QB's next year. With a now healthy Clowney, Mercilus, Wilfork and add in Watt....good grief. I haven't looked but I'm hoping they are not on next years schedule.... I'd like to get Watt's little brother simply because of the coaching up he will receive from JJ....

(01-15-2017, 03:51 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I tell ya, if JJ Watt comes back with a heathy back, the Texans defense is going to be devastating to QB's next year. With a now healthy Clowney, Mercilus, Wilfork and add in Watt....good grief. I haven't looked but I'm hoping they are not on next years schedule.... I'd like to get Watt's little brother simply because of the coaching up he will receive from JJ....

Yeah, that is the best Defense in football. Adding Watt is rough for every Offense that plays them.

And yeah, we play them next year in our place.

Would be all for getting little Watt, he is a good pass rusher too which we need badly.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - HarleyDog - 01-15-2017

If you want to be successful? Hit hard, don't celebrate. Score, don't celebrate. Don't argue with the refs and scream like a little school girl. Do not trash talk and bump helmets, show your smack by your actions and not words. Don't curse or condemn other players. Be a professional and conduct your business in a professional manner and stop acting like its pee-wee football. Actually, pee-wee football players are more respectable.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - GreenCornBengal - 01-15-2017

(01-15-2017, 03:30 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, so hoping the Chiefs beat their ass.

T. Kelce will be priority number 1. I expect Mitchell to headshot him any chance he gets considering the history of concussions Kelce has. We'll see tonight.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - GreenCornBengal - 01-15-2017

(01-15-2017, 04:14 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If you want to be successful? Hit hard, don't celebrate. Score, don't celebrate. Don't argue with the refs and scream like a little school girl. Do not trash talk and bump helmets, show your smack by your actions and not words. Don't curse or condemn other players. Be a professional and conduct your business in a professional manner and stop acting like its pee-wee football. Actually, pee-wee football players are more respectable.

I disagree with this one. Seen guys complain and get all the flags thrown in their favor. Part of the game is working those zebras.

(01-15-2017, 04:43 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: T. Kelce will be priority number 1. I expect Mitchell to headshot him any chance he gets considering the history of concussions Kelce has. We'll see tonight.

I would not bet against this.

Sounds exactly what Mitchell's priority is. The scumbag. Whatever

(01-15-2017, 04:44 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I disagree with this one. Seen guys complain and get all the flags thrown in their favor. Part of the game is working those zebras.

One of the biggest problems i have with Marv is he never gets on the refs asses.

He is just like meh while they give games away to the other team. Namely the Stoolers.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Derrick - 01-16-2017

(01-15-2017, 04:14 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If you want to be successful? Hit hard, don't celebrate. Score, don't celebrate. Don't argue with the refs and scream like a little school girl. Do not trash talk and bump helmets, show your smack by your actions and not words. Don't curse or condemn other players. Be a professional and conduct your business in a professional manner and stop acting like its pee-wee football. Actually, pee-wee football players are more respectable.

Make this into a banner and hang it on the Bengal's locker room wall. ThumbsUp

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Jpoore - 01-16-2017

(01-15-2017, 04:56 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: One of the biggest problems i have with Marv is he never gets on the refs asses.

He is just like meh while they give games away to the other team. Namely the Stoolers.

bc he would probably get a penalty due to refs being in steelers pockets.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Nate (formerly eliminate08) - 01-16-2017

(01-16-2017, 02:46 AM)Jpoore Wrote: bc he would probably get a penalty due to refs being in steelers pockets.

Yeah, but atleast it would give the refs some pause on screwing us over maybe.

If our coach is just fine with the terrible, blatant, favoritism for the Steelers it gives them no incentive to call a game fair.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - Bilbo Saggins - 01-16-2017

Not every player is good at hitting hard though.  Trying to hit outrageously hard can lead to more missed tackles, and as we've seen from years of Nelson hitting people with his shoulder, BS flags.  It's more important to get the guy on the ground than to go in for a bone crunching hit, but if the hit is there you have to take it.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - eoxyod - 01-16-2017

Similar to Louisville basketball, Steelers, Bama football:
Refs generally attempt to call games evenly. If you are very aggressive then that becomes the norm,and refs call more of the egregious stuff on your team and not the iffier calls. Play tight, do some hand checking, and it's just good defense.
This is also why the best receivers have the best push off, lockdown CBs have less DPI.

RE: How Physical Play Reduces Personal Fouls - ochocincos - 01-16-2017

This play from last night's Chiefs-Steelers game stuck out to me...
[Image: conley.0.gif]

That hit looked even worse than Burfict's hit on Brown in last year's playoff game (see below). But is the national media talking about how Sean Davis is such a dirty player and should be kicked out of the league? Nope. Because Conley isn't a star player on one of America's more popular teams.

[Image: abhit.0.gif]

Burfict's hit was with his shoulder (proof in other angles) whereas Davis was clearly helmet to helmet. Davis isn't the only Steelers defender to lunge at players either. Mitchell is the main culprit and Shazier does so too.

It just feels like the NFL wants nothing more than "the 3 B's" or "killer B's" to make and win a Super Bowl. God forbid one of those players goes down to an injury. Pitchforks come out!