Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
AJ McCarron is a future star - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: AJ McCarron is a future star (/Thread-AJ-McCarron-is-a-future-star)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Stewy - 08-08-2015

(08-08-2015, 01:30 PM)BigSeph Wrote: But when you fail repeatedly in the playoffs, people will always want to try something else at QB. 

That's because most fans are generally stupid and willingly remain ignorant of any facts besides local inflamatory headlines and 10 second sound bites....because they're lazy.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - BigSeph - 08-09-2015

(08-08-2015, 07:47 PM)Stewy Wrote: That's because most fans are generally stupid and willingly remain ignorant of any facts besides local inflamatory headlines and 10 second sound bites....because they're lazy.

Sounds like you have a real problem with "most fans" and no problem with a QB who has one of the worst playoff QB ratings in NFL history.

Allow me to quote Scott Kacsmar's twitter-

Quote:Andy Dalton's playoff QBR (ESPN)
2011 - 25.1
2012 - 15.1
2013 - 14.2
2014 - 20.0

That is, simply put, pathetic.  You can pin that on the WRs, the defense, the coaches, everybody else in the world and "stupid fans" all you want.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Brownshoe - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 12:09 AM)BigSeph Wrote: Sounds like you have a real problem with "most fans" and no problem with a QB who has one of the worst playoff QB ratings in NFL history.

Allow me to quote Scott Kacsmar's twitter-

That is, simply put, pathetic.  You can pin that on the WRs, the defense, the coaches, everybody else in the world and "stupid fans" all you want.

hahaha QBR really? With so many things you could choose from and you use QBR?

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - RoyleRedlegs - 08-09-2015

Should we start taking odds on whose troll account that is?

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - BURROWorBUST - 08-09-2015

After reading this on the front page, I'm a little more convinced that McCarron will win a Super Bowl before Andy Dalton wins a Super Bowl. It might not be with us, but he will win one.

Quote:what was more important was what happened before practice and after quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese went over the game plan with the second team. McCarron, who never had this chance as a rookie last season because of a shoulder injury that shelved him until November, clearly had adrenaline flowing.

“I just told those guys it’s a pride thing when we’re matched up like this,” McCarron said. “We have something to prove. It might not be this team, it might be another team. We all want to be ones eventually. There should be some pride. I don’t want to be a two. I have something to prove. I tried to challenge the guys. I felt like they responded really well.”

And he won't be for long. In all likelihood, he'll play out his contract here and then move on, leaving us with nothing but a bunch of regrets.

This guy's a clear leader. Given the money they paid Andy, I'm not sure he'll ever get a shot at starting in stripes.

How can your heart not feel a knife going into it after reading this? This is meant for his detractors last week:

Quote:McCarron also has some salt in his neck and doesn’t mind challenging the media, like he did last week when his accuracy was questioned. Once he got behind the first offensive line Friday and Saturday, completions started coming.

“I feel like we’ve gotten a ton better the last week. Our timing is I good,’ he said after practice Saturday. “After y’all blew up the Internet Kim Kardashian style about accuracy and everything. Good Lord. Like I said then. Relax. It’s going to take time . LOL I feel like it showed today. I’m in sync with those guys.”

He's on a mission alright.

Quote:McCarron started the same way at Alabama when he was running the scout team as a freshman and driving head coach Nick Saban nuts.

“Every night I’d order pizzas for the scout team and we’d watch film,” McCarron said. “Even though we weren’t running our offense, I would have the (opponents’) cards from that day and I’d say, ‘Listen, they’re running a post and sail. I want you to run it like this when we see this coverage in practice.’ It not only made us better, it made our defense better.

“Our scout team had Eddie Lacy, Kevin Norwood, Kenny Bell,” McCarron said. “We had guys that ended up playing really well for us. We were true freshman just playing, running around, slinging it and Saban would lose his mind. Those were fun days for sure.”

Roll Stripes!!

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - wolfkaosaun - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 02:42 AM)Shady Wrote: After reading this on the front page, I'm a little more convinced that McCarron will win a Super Bowl before Andy Dalton wins a Super Bowl. It might not be with us, but he will win one.

And he won't be for long. In all likelihood, he'll play out his contract here and then move on, leaving us with nothing but a bunch of regrets.

This guy's a clear leader. Given the money they paid Andy, I'm not sure he'll ever get a shot at starting in stripes.

How can your heart not feel a knife going into it after reading this? This is meant for his detractors last week:

He's on a mission alright.

Roll Stripes!!

I'm not, because he hasn't even proven he's a starter.

Glad he's wanting to compete, but this is practice. He hasn't looked good, period. Had some moments, but still.

Let's see how he looks when he actually has pressure that will hit him and knock him down. He held onto the ball a lot these last few practices.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Beaker - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 02:42 AM)Shady Wrote: After reading this on the front page, I'm a little more convinced that McCarron will win a Super Bowl before Andy Dalton wins a Super Bowl. It might not be with us, but he will win one.

Good play in a mock game = will win a SB.   LOL  I bet you said the same thing about Dalton compared to CP when Dalton was lighting it up his first year.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Luvnit2 - 08-09-2015

I was at practice yesterday and AJ looked good. This could be a great problem to have as he is under contract for a couple of years. If he does keep developing and still can't beat AD, then we can trade him and get a great draft pick or 2. If AD can't get to another level, we can trade AD for draft pick and have AJ start.

Of course, this is training camp so as well as AJ played, it is camp. AD looked great as well, but again it is camp. Let's see how they do against othe rteams in pre-season and then live in games that count.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - BayouBengal - 08-09-2015

I Know what you mean. The "it" factor is just there. Every guy out there is competitive as hell but not every guy out there is a natural leader. That article shows his leadership skills. 

(08-09-2015, 09:40 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I was at practice yesterday and AJ looked good. This could be a great problem to have as he is under contract for a couple of years. If he does keep developing and still can't beat AD, then we can trade him and get a great draft pick or 2. If AD can't get to another level, we can trade AD for draft pick and have AJ start.

Of course, this is training camp so as well as AJ played, it is camp. AD looked great as well, but again it is camp. Let's see how they do against othe rteams in pre-season and then live in games that count.

This is the Best problem our team could have. You know Alabama was in a slump until AJ came along. Even though he was just on the scout team they all of the sudden became the most dominant force in college football and he won his first ring on the scout team. Obviously that's due to some great recruiting by Saban, but don't factor AJ's leadership of the scout team out of it completely. Even if he stays a 2 for a while, he will make the whole team better by motivating the scout team. Its part of the reason why so many people (myself included) have become fans of this kid. He's just got that "it" factor that no one seems to be able to put into words. 

I can't wait for Friday!

I was just browsing around the net and found this article that basically proves my point. His lunches with the scout team and rookies seem to have payed off yesterday. It was Alfred that caught his TD pass and another long one while Kroft let a long one slip through his hands. No bash to Kroft I'm sure he'll get better, it just seems like his rookies are getting open for him is all I'm saying.

I also noticed that at least one of Dalton's traits has apparently rubbed off on him already. He's got on the rubber ring in the video.  Tongue

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Luvnit2 - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 01:32 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: I was just browsing around the net and found this article that basically proves my point. His lunches with the scout team and rookies seem to have payed off yesterday. It was Alfred that caught his TD pass and another long one while Kroft let a long one slip through his hands. No bash to Kroft I'm sure he'll get better, it just seems like his rookies are getting open for him is all I'm saying.

I also noticed that at least one of Dalton's traits has apparently rubbed off on him already. He's got on the rubber ring in the video.  Tongue

You won't like it, But AD has complimented Dalton for helping him grasp the offense. Yet, I don't see you giving AD the same credit for leadership you are giving AJ. It was Dalton who talked AJ to go with him and work with House. It was Dalton who paid some of our receivers way to go to California to help them work out with House throwing to familiar targets, but also helping them both get on the same page with the receivers.

(08-09-2015, 01:38 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You won't like it, But AD has complimented Dalton for helping him grasp the offense. Yet, I don't see you giving AD the same credit for leadership you are giving AJ. It was Dalton who talked AJ to go with him and work with House. It was Dalton who paid some of our receivers way to go to California to help them work out with House throwing to familiar targets, but also helping them both get on the same page with the receivers.

I like it just fine. There is no competition between them and they are both good guys. I do think though that AJ has some vocal leadership qualities that Andy lacks, but I've never said Andy wasn't a good guy. I know the rubber ring thing has apparently rubbed off on AJ already. Maybe his leadership qualities will rub off on Andy. 

I just think that part of the "it" factor is that AJ will help this team's comradely just by being a part of the roster. Obviously Andy helps the team too and to his credit he has made strides in making it his team and becoming the leader. 

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - fredtoast - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 01:32 PM)BayouBengal Wrote:  it just seems like his rookies are getting open for him is all I'm saying.

Seriously?

AJ now gets credit for everything the receivers do?

C'mon man.  Get serious.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - wolfkaosaun - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 09:23 AM)Beaker Wrote: Good play in a mock game = will win a SB.   LOL  I bet you said the same thing about Dalton compared to CP when Dalton was lighting it up his first year.

Well, I mean, Dalton had a good mock game as well. So guess both are Super Bowl winning QBs Ninja

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - CageTheBengal - 08-09-2015

Does McCarron have a real shot at winning the starting job or is it just talk from the coaches to keep things competitive? Sounds like the guy has some real leadership qualities.

"This is almost like my rookie season, That's the way I'm taking it, because I didn't do anything last year. First time throwing in full pads since senior year Sugar Bowl. It was going to take time. I stayed confident throughout the whole thing. I never panicked. Our guys never panicked."

from Hue

"Every time he completed a ball his confidence skyrocketed. It's a good opportunity for him to continue to grow. As we go he understands the reps become few and far between. Now is the time to do this stuff so we can evaluate him in this environment."

Obviously we haven't seen him play a snap yet but this has to make you feel good.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - BURROWorBUST - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 09:23 AM)Beaker Wrote: Good play in a mock game = will win a SB.   LOL  I bet you said the same thing about Dalton compared to CP when Dalton was lighting it up his first year.

Don't put words in my mouth. If you read the quotes I cited, you'd see they weren't so much about his performance in the mock, but his mental make-up and willpower. That's what sets him apart from AD. Not that Andy = Ryan Leaf in those areas, but McCarron's not satisfied with being a backup. And I don't think he will be. Again, maybe not here.

Note Pacman's observations from back on July 1

Quote:"McCarron looks really good," Jones told Geoff Hobson, the editor of Bengals.com. "The other guys have their spurts, but he's got the 'it' factor. The kid's a winner. You can tell he's been working on his ball strength from last year and this year. You can never underestimate the 'it' factor, regardless of what anybody says. It's the difference between winning some games and being champion. That's my opinion."

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - CincyProduct - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 01:49 PM)BayouBengal Wrote: I like it just fine. There is no competition between them and they are both good guys. I do think though that AJ has some vocal leadership qualities that Andy lacks, but I've never said Andy wasn't a good guy. I know the rubber ring thing has apparently rubbed off on AJ already. Maybe his leadership qualities will rub off on Andy. 

I just think that part of the "it" factor is that AJ will help this team's comradely just by being a part of the roster. Obviously Andy helps the team too and to his credit he has made strides in making it his team and becoming the leader. 

Huh? There is always competition in football regardless of how good guys are....

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - 2MinutesHate - 08-09-2015

I think it's interesting that so many people want to talk about him. The media, coaches, players and the fans. This is a 2nd string QB that was picked in the 5th round, but still, people are talking. You never saw this with QB's like Campbell, J. Johnson and Gradkowski. I know I am excited to see the guy play in the preseason. Right now, he's nobody in the NFL. However, if he does become something, it really puts us in a great position with a powerful bargaining chip.

Obviously, no matter what happens in the preseason, there will still be doubters and those who don't care too much for the guy. The harsh reality is that if down the road, he can't beat Dalton out, he won't start for long (if at all) in the NFL.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - EatonFan - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 02:24 PM)Shady Wrote: Don't put words in my mouth. If you read the quotes I cited, you'd see they weren't so much about his performance in the mock, but his mental make-up and willpower. That's what sets him apart from AD. Not that Andy = Ryan Leaf in those areas, but McCarron's not satisfied with being a backup. And I don't think he will be. Again, maybe not here.

There have been many QBs over the years who have had this attitude, but either never get the chance or do not have the talent.  Again.  We need to see whether he has the second part by seeing what he does in game conditions.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - CageTheBengal - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 02:38 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think it's interesting that so many people want to talk about him.  The media, coaches, players and the fans.  This is a 2nd string QB that was picked in the 5th round, but still, people are talking.  You never saw this with QB's like Campbell, J. Johnson and Gradkowski.  I know I am excited to see the guy play in the preseason.  Right now, he's nobody in the NFL.  However, if he does become something, it really puts us in a great position with a powerful bargaining chip.

Obviously, no matter what happens in the preseason, there will still be doubters and those who don't care too much for the guy.  The harsh reality is that if down the road, he can't beat Dalton out, he won't start for long (if at all) in the NFL.

If McCarron pans out then we should be able to get some good picks for Dalton. More then we probably should because of the position he plays teams will be desperate.