Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise
AJ McCarron is a future star - Printable Version

+- Cincinnati Bengals Message Board / Forums - Home of Jungle Noise (http://thebengalsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Cincinnati Bengals / NFL (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-Cincinnati-Bengals-NFL)
+--- Forum: JUNGLE NOISE (http://thebengalsboard.com/Forum-JUNGLE-NOISE)
+--- Thread: AJ McCarron is a future star (/Thread-AJ-McCarron-is-a-future-star)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - RoyleRedlegs - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 02:38 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: I think it's interesting that so many people want to talk about him.  The media, coaches, players and the fans.  This is a 2nd string QB that was picked in the 5th round, but still, people are talking.  You never saw this with QB's like Campbell, J. Johnson and Gradkowski.  I know I am excited to see the guy play in the preseason.  Right now, he's nobody in the NFL.  However, if he does become something, it really puts us in a great position with a powerful bargaining chip.

Obviously, no matter what happens in the preseason, there will still be doubters and those who don't care too much for the guy.  The harsh reality is that if down the road, he can't beat Dalton out, he won't start for long (if at all) in the NFL.

Because they were all established backup level QBs. McCarron is still an unknown with a big following from Alabama. The McCarron hype train started with that. 
He's yet to take a meaningful football snap in nearly 2 years. 

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - McC - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 02:50 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Because they were all established backup level QBs. McCarron is still an unknown with a big following from Alabama. The McCarron hype train started with that. 
He's yet to take a meaningful football snap in nearly 2 years. 

He's well rested.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - wolfkaosaun - 08-09-2015

Anything McCarron does will be hyped. Whether he makes a touchdown pass, many will clamor how great of a leader he is. If he makes some poor throws, it's because he's never going to be good. It's usually two extremes. But that's how it is with rookie/young players.

We hear all the time how players look in camp, and that's fine. But it doesn't always translate onto the field. Why? Because you go against the same opponent day in and day out, you know what they're good at. You know what's coming. You've studied against them and played them all offseason. Offensive players are going to win sometimes, and defensive players are going to win sometimes. We're a balanced team.

The true test will come when McCarron has someone coming after him that WILL knock him down, rather than essentially just touching him.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - BigSeph - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 12:23 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: hahaha QBR really? With so many things you could choose from and you use QBR?

You can use any metric that makes you happy and it will be equally atrocious.

TD:INT ratio?  3 and outs?  Pick whatever metric you want.  Dalton has failed in the playoffs his entire NFL career.  Yes yes, none of it is his fault.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - wolfkaosaun - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 04:58 PM)BigSeph Wrote: You can use any metric that makes you happy and it will be equally atrocious.

TD:INT ratio?  3 and outs?  Pick whatever metric you want.  Dalton has failed in the playoffs his entire NFL career.  Yes yes, none of it is his fault.

QBR is a pretty terrible metric to use to measure a QB. However, you are right. Dalton has played bad in playoff games. No one can deny that.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Stormborn - 08-09-2015

I'll do Bayou's job for him I guess.

2nd team TD hyyyyyyppppppeee

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Stormborn - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 03:18 PM)McC Wrote: He's well rested.

Ensuing the old "rest or rust" argument.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - jj22 - 08-09-2015

It was good to read he had a good night Saturday.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - BayouBengal - 08-09-2015

(08-09-2015, 05:54 PM)Stormborn Wrote: I'll do Bayou's job for him I guess.

2nd team TD hyyyyyyppppppeee

I appreciate that. Brennen Warner almost makes me want to get a twitter account.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - BayouBengal - 08-25-2015

McCarron-delivers-TD-drive

Well he didn't get the chance to show much Monday night but I thought Mccarron had a good showing. What Ilove is how he gets passionate about it, even though it may not show outside the huddle. Its just a preseason game but listen to what players had to say about him.

“He took charge,” Wilder said. “He’s not just one of these guys just making plays. He’s a leader. We’re real tight. That’s the thing I love about him. When I’m in there, I’m making sure no one touches AJ. He’s that guy who brings everybody in if things aren’t going right. ‘Everybody huddle up.’ That’s something you need.”

“I was reading the coverage and had to make the break and AJ and I were on the same page,” Kroft said. “That chemistry came through a little bit. He’s a really smart player and knows what he’s doing. He put us in the right situations.”

He needs another preseason game but I feel good about our backup QB.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Daddy-O - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 07:35 AM)BayouBengal Wrote: McCarron-delivers-TD-drive

Well he didn't get the chance to show much Monday night but I thought Mccarron had a good showing. What Ilove is how he gets passionate about it, even though it may not show outside the huddle. Its just a preseason game but listen to what players had to say about him.

“He took charge,” Wilder said. “He’s not just one of these guys just making plays. He’s a leader. We’re real tight. That’s the thing I love about him. When I’m in there, I’m making sure no one touches AJ. He’s that guy who brings everybody in if things aren’t going right. ‘Everybody huddle up.’ That’s something you need.”

“I was reading the coverage and had to make the break and AJ and I were on the same page,” Kroft said. “That chemistry came through a little bit. He’s a really smart player and knows what he’s doing. He put us in the right situations.”

He needs another preseason game but I feel good about our backup QB.
Agreed about his leadership qualities, but it takes more to be long-term NFL QB.  Mainly durability.  He just doesn't look to me like a person that can make it through a 16 game NFL season or have the arm it takes to make all the throws.  Regardless of leadership intangibles it takes more to be an NFL QB.  But everyone deserves the chance in the #1 guy doesn't get it done.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Wyche'sWarrior - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 08:53 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Agreed about his leadership qualities, but it takes more to be long-term NFL QB.  Mainly durability.  He just doesn't look to me like a person that can make it through a 16 game NFL season or have the arm it takes to make all the throws.  Regardless of leadership intangibles it takes more to be an NFL QB.  But everyone deserves the chance in the #1 guy doesn't get it done.

Agreed....his lack of velocity on the deep balls and inaccuracy on them was alarming.  Maybe that shoulder was messed up worse than we thought.....

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - RoyleRedlegs - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 12:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agreed....his lack of velocity on the deep balls and inaccuracy on them was alarming.  Maybe that shoulder was messed up worse than we thought.....

Probably has nothing to do with the shoulder. He was like that at Alabama too. Just guys were a lot more open and he had virtually pristine pockets every time. 

(08-25-2015, 12:47 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Probably has nothing to do with the shoulder. He was like that at Alabama too. Just guys were a lot more open and he had virtually pristine pockets every time. 

I don't remember him being THAT weak.....although, it HAS been two years.... Smirk

......kinda wish the mothership was still up, so I could link up my McElroy comparisons again.....cause that's who he reminded me of last night.  I will say he looked pretty good with the dink and dunk.....but the long ball was frightening.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - fredtoast - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 12:57 PM)Wyche Wrote:  I don't remember him being THAT weak.....although, it HAS been two years.... Smirk

......kinda wish the mothership was still up, so I could link up my McElroy comparisons again.....cause that's who he reminded me of last night.  I will say he looked pretty good with the dink and dunk.....but the long ball was frightening.

I don't know about now, but in college McCarron threw a much better deep ball and had a better arm than McElroy.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - RoyleRedlegs - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 12:57 PM)Wyche Wrote:  I don't remember him being THAT weak.....although, it HAS been two years.... Smirk

I just think the game sped up and the arm didn't. 
His arm is a notch below Andy's and his is nothing great. 

(08-25-2015, 01:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't know about now, but in college McCarron threw a much better deep ball and had a better arm than McElroy.

I thought his arm was better too.....but after last night......(my comparison on the old board was more about numbers and surrounding cast at Bama)

(08-25-2015, 01:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I just think the game sped up and the arm didn't. 

Could be right.....and you're about the comparison to Dalton.....but man, he made Andy look like Marino.... Smirk

I kept waiting for that annoying dog to come up on the screen and giggle......

[Image: Duck-hunt-dog.jpg]

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - jfkbengals - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 12:47 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Probably has nothing to do with the shoulder. He was like that at Alabama too. Just guys were a lot more open and he had virtually pristine pockets every time. 

(08-25-2015, 01:03 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I just think the game sped up and the arm didn't. 

In my opinion you are pretty spot on here.  There is a reason he was a late round pick.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Interceptor - 08-25-2015

(08-25-2015, 08:53 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Agreed about his leadership qualities, but it takes more to be long-term NFL QB.  Mainly durability.  He just doesn't look to me like a person that can make it through a 16 game NFL season or have the arm it takes to make all the throws.  Regardless of leadership intangibles it takes more to be an NFL QB.  But everyone deserves the chance in the #1 guy doesn't get it done.

That last sentence should apply to the coaching staff as well.

RE: AJ McCarron is a future star - Beaker - 08-25-2015

McCarron is a serviceable back up. That's it.