Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Center Austin Reiter in for visit
(07-26-2021, 10:11 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That does not excuse the way Troy Blackburn handled it. Not bringing Whit back is one thing, disrespecting one of the best players (and humans) the franchise has ever had is quite another. There was absolutely no reason to word that message they way he did.

Uber Doucher.

[Image: 7bf49950-b262-4c72-84a8-4fc40e57a3dd_small.png]

I don't like anything about his face, at all. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Again, he got a better offer and made the choice to leave. It was his choice. Funny how this Ring of Honor thing is going to start bringing all the players who left, some very badly, back around saying they didn't want to leave so they can try to get voted in..... which is all this is, otherwise why is he still talking about it.

I’m sure Whit, who’s won almost as many playoff games in 4 years as our entire franchise has in 50+, and is possibly headed to the HoF, is really loosing sleep over being voted into the Bengals RoH lol.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 11:02 AM)fredtoast Wrote: There was absolutely nothing disrespectful in the way the message was worded.

WTF was he supposed to say? "We value Andrew at $15 million a year, but we are not going to offer him that much."  How is that more respectful?

You are on drugs.

That message was dismissive, arrogant and absolutely shitty. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:20 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Again, he got a better offer and made the choice to leave. It was his choice. Funny how this Ring of Honor thing is going to start bringing all the players who left, some very badly, back around saying they didn't want to leave so they can try to get voted in..... which is all this is, otherwise why is he still talking about it.

I honestly think Whit could give 2 shits about the ROH.  I mean going to a competent organization where he's valued probably is much better to him.  He made a choice and it worked for him and unfortunately the Bengals front office and scouts suck badly enough they've missed on multiple OL in the draft since he left and the organization hasn't seen  a .500 record since. 
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:28 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You are on drugs.

That message was dismissive, arrogant and absolutely shitty. 

Thank you.

[Image: 200.gif]

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:14 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Ive wanted to stay with companies i worked for in the past.  I told them i got an offer to do the same/similar job with another company...heres my offer letter.  I DO NOT want to leave.  If you pay me the same money they are offering I would love to stay here.  Ive been in this situation multiple times and some companies gave me a raise and other companies told me to kick rocks and take the new job.    He did make a choice but the Bengals essentially made it for him when they told him well offer you alot less money than anybody else and if you dont like it leave.  Pretty much anybody that was in Whitworths shoes would have done exactly what he did.  He wanted to stay, he had been here and liked it here, but his employer gave him an ultimatum to take half of what hes worth or leave.  So he left.

There's a big difference between wanting your current employer to be the highest bidder for your services and actually being loyal to your employer.  
Reply/Quote

Yes it was his choice as i stated.  At the same time the bengals made his choice easy by not offering him anything near what he was being offered by other teams.  Whit didnt really leave badly, I think 99% of the fan base completely understood.  Most of us are reasonable and understand the front office did not offer him anything comparable to the market, so without a competitive offer he would have to leave Cincinnati.  Thats the way the world works and I felt absolutely no ill will towards Whitworth for making the only reasonable decision on the table.  He wasnt valued here so he didnt have much of a choice but to leave.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:03 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Has absolutely nothing to do with the conversation. Whit is trying to play the poor "I wanted to retire in Cincinnati" card, likely to try to get on the Ring of Honor. If he wanted to, there was nothing stopping him from signing the one year deal that was offered. He chose to go for a longer deal. That was his choice, and he was free to make it, just don't now whine and say you wanted to stay. He made his choice.

Sure it does.  You basically said that Whitworth has more than enough money and that he could have stayed if he really wanted.  You even asked how much does he really need?

So, now I'm asking the same question.  How money do the Browns/Blackburns need?  Their net worth is well over 2 BILLION dollars.  Why are they so greedy?

If it's fair to question Whitworth's motivations based on money then it's certainly fair to question the family's as well, especially considering they're worth about SIXTY times the amount as he is.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Sure it does.  You basically said that Whitworth has more than enough money and that he could have stayed if he really wanted.  You even asked how much does he really need?

So, now I'm asking the same question.  How money do the Browns/Blackburns need?  Their net worth is well over 2 BILLION dollars.  Why are they so greedy?

If it's fair to question Whitworth's motivations based on money then it's certainly fair to question the family's as well, especially considering they're worth about SIXTY times the amount as he is.

And the Brownburns aren’t the ones who will be feeling the effects of playing in the NFL for the rest of their lives either. Seriously, some retired players can barely get out of bed in the morning. And that’s just the physical pain, not even mentioning CTE and other long term issues. But god forbid a guy (an All Pro mind you) want to be compensated fairly on his last big contract.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:41 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Sure it does.  You basically said that Whitworth has more than enough money and that he could have stayed if he really wanted.  You even asked how much does he really need?

This is a fair argument when discussing things like the scouting department or an indoor practice facility.  It doesn't really hold water when it comes to player contracts due to the salary cap.  
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 03:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: This is a fair argument when discussing things like the scouting department or an indoor practice facility.  It doesn't really hold water when it comes to player contracts due to the salary cap.  

You’d be right if we actually spent to the cap every year. Do we? Have we historically?

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 03:02 PM)Whatever Wrote: This is a fair argument when discussing things like the scouting department or an indoor practice facility.  It doesn't really hold water when it comes to player contracts due to the salary cap.  

Fwiw, that's the exact argument I made.  I think my original reply to him is a page or two back if you want to see how that developed.

He questioned how much money Whitworth needed, and basically insinuated he was greedy or selfish.  So I replied that it would be nice if he applied that same thinking to the family and their refusal to build an indoor facility.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:26 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Uber Doucher.

[Image: 7bf49950-b262-4c72-84a8-4fc40e57a3dd_small.png]

I don't like anything about his face, at all. 

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:52 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And the Brownburns aren’t the ones who will be feeling the effects of playing in the NFL for the rest of their lives either. Seriously, some retired players can barely get out of bed in the morning. And that’s just the physical pain, not even mentioning CTE and other long term issues. But god forbid a guy (an All Pro mind you) want to be compensated fairly on his last big contract.

Sympathy kind of goes out the window for me when the guy is still playing at 40 at a 300+ pound playing weight after making over $98 million during his playing career.

I have no issues with the man for leaving.  It's the way he left I don't like.  
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 02:37 PM)Whatever Wrote: There's a big difference between wanting your current employer to be the highest bidder for your services and actually being loyal to your employer.  

So does that mean if we offer jessie bates 5 years 20 mil total that hes greedy too and he doesnt want to be here? 4 mil dollars a year to play a game is alot.  He must be some very unloyal sob if he doesnt sign that deal.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 03:15 PM)Whatever Wrote: Sympathy kind of goes out the window for me when the guy is still playing at 40 at a 300+ pound playing weight after making over $98 million during his playing career.

I have no issues with the man for leaving.  It's the way he left I don't like.  

And I have no issue with the team for not keeping him (it was understandable at the time). It’s the way they handled it I don’t like.

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 03:05 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Fwiw, that's the exact argument I made.  I think my original reply to him is a page or two back if you want to see how that developed.

He questioned how much money Whitworth needed, and basically insinuated he was greedy or selfish.  So I replied that it would be nice if he applied that same thinking to the family and their refusal to build an indoor facility.

I have no problem with him deciding to leave for more money.  I will never hold that against anybody.  

My issue with the guy is how he conducted himself after he left.  
Reply/Quote
So.......any news on Austin Reiter?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 01:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Oh please. This wasn’t manufactured outrage simply because we didn’t like the decision. Whit and his wife stated they felt personally offended by the way Blackburn phrased it. That pissed people off. End of story.

As I said: They did not disrespect Whit; they made a stupid move in hindsight.

Our FO has disrespected numerous players in the past, but honoring Whit's contract until the end, then calling him into the office to tell him personally they were going in a different direction is not disrespectful.

Folks are just salty at the result. End of post.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-26-2021, 03:17 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: So does that mean if we offer jessie bates 5 years 20 mil total that hes greedy too and he doesnt want to be here? 4 mil dollars a year to play a game is alot.  He must be some very unloyal sob if he doesnt sign that deal.

With one of my employers, I actually declined a raise and told them to split it up amongst the group of people I had under me because a couple of them were ready to leave and it would have been difficult to find replacements and get them trained to their level in a reasonable amount of time.

I know people that have worked for struggling companies and stayed on despite not getting paid for weeks at a time because they loved the work and the people and the people they worked for.

Those are examples of loyalty.  Loyalty really doesn't exist in the NFL unless you're willing to retire rather than leave. Polamalu retiring to create desperately needed cap space for the Steelers, now that's loyalty.     

You're example is also kind of bad.  You're comparing a guy who had made $50+ million to a guy that hasn't even made $5 mil.
Reply/Quote