Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(08-13-2021, 08:35 PM)Au165 Wrote: Sewell has had a pretty rough first preseason game so far.

I haven't checked their schedule, but I'm gonna assume Detroit didn't play Washington State last night.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(08-14-2021, 02:35 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Eh, emotions run high with something like that. Especially with how bad his injury was. Now remaining completely doom and gloom afterwards is a different story.

I hear ya, but at the same time we also have to realize that we're not sweating passing on Sewell right now and we haven't watched Burrow run for his life in months.  We currently have an interesting sort of mindset where were don't mind Chase over Sewell but we're also very much against Burrow playing in the pre-season.  I'm not saying Sewell would have fixed everything, but we seem to straddle this line between confidence and dread when it comes to Burrow's safety.

Exciting stuff, no doubt.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
I especially like the "We want Penei' chant at the beginning:

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Not just Chase v Sewell for me. It is not being aggressive enough in FA, trading down & taking Carman.

Will we regret taking Chase? Probably not, he should be good.

Will we regret not improving our O-line more? Of course. We already should, look at Burriw's knee.
(08-13-2021, 11:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We should dig up that gameday thread when Burrow got injured and see how many people were lamenting our thin WR corps as Burrow was being carted off the field.

Well I keep poking fun at the ones that absolutely lost their shyt after the draft when we didn't pick Sewell, and then didn't pick "their guy" in the second round.  It went on for weeks after the draft to the point where I just didn't come back for a month.  it was exceedingly juvenile, and it was not just from 2-3 people but well over a dozen of them, and some of them long time posters.

I won't go into the all counter arguments, as I don't want to stir all that up, but I just can't help poking some fun.  Small of me probably.
A lot of ignorance in this thread.

(1) Michael Jordan (guard) led to the block that injured Burrow - Penei wouldn’t be playing guard here.
(2) Hart was a flawed player, who graded out better here because the coaches put him in a position to succeed. When defenses wanted to get the sack though, he was the player they went after. Harts issue was his mental game, Reiff is a much smarter player and will be defacto better player even if he plays poorly early on.
(3) Tee + Boyd is a good pair of WR but we also had zero other real threats. Auden + Thomas are situational, Uzomah does well when given the right opportunities. We played a lot of close formations which led to stacking the box because of this.
(4) Bengals will play a version of the super spread offense this year, our personnel minus offensive line is by far best fit for this offense in NFL.
Not saying we should've taken Sewell but I don't like taking a LT that high and moving him to RT or another spot which is what the Lions have done and we would've most likely put him at guard. Probably the reason for him having some struggles as well as Carman. If we wanted a guard I would've preffed we got one in free agency or drafted a college guard because we didn't need the learning curve.

Also Aman-Ra st. Brown looked pretty good. Thats what Ill be curious about is how these 2nd rd and beyond receivers fair that everyone said weren't good enough.
(08-13-2021, 07:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yup. Ditto.

Sewell and Marshall Jr, i would have been quite happy with, if they hadn't gone the way they did.

That was my ideal first 2 rounds. Cry
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(08-14-2021, 07:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That was my ideal first 2 rounds. Cry

No doubt, as a fan. Though, there was a prevailing thought, leading right up to the draft, that Marshall Jr would be gone by #38.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(08-14-2021, 07:40 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No doubt, as a fan. Though, there was a prevailing thought, leading right up to the draft, that Marshall Jr would be gone by #38.

Most mocks I saw had him going later in the 2nd. Often slotted to the Ravens.

Most of the people who were saying he'd be gone on here were people arguing for Chase.

Not trying to start any argument at all, that's just how it looked from my end.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(08-14-2021, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Most mocks I saw had him going later in the 2nd. Often slotted to the Ravens.

Most of the people who were saying he'd be gone on here were people arguing for Chase.

Not trying to start any argument at all, that's just how it looked from my end.

Mmm not quite. It was the Ravens, but at the end of R1 (#27, #31).They didn't have a R2. 

My preferred outcome by farrr was Sewell and Marshall, but I didn't expect Marshall to make 38. Maybe 33% chance at most. On the mocks I was tracking his average fell somewhere between 30 and 36. 

When he was still on the board at 46, even as a fierce proponent of beefing up the trenches, I would have taken him there too lol. Honest to goodness. I would have just gone all-in on the LSU motif and thrown caution to the wind (which we've sort of done anyway with Shelvin, Moss and... who knows who else we have our eyes on). Part of that was out of exasperation for passing on Penei, sure, but it was also BPA. Apart from the injury red flags that clearly hurt him, Marshall was an absolute stud. If we were willing to wait till 46 to address the line, I figured we might as well kick the can again.

It ended up being the worst-case scenario for me when we picked Carman. I didn't have him on the radar at all. He was late-50s at best, and at that point in the draft 10-15 picks is a sizable gap. Even more importantly, there were a good 8-10 OL I had ranked ahead of him that hadn't been picked yet. So it just seemed like a wasted opportunity.

But I don't know anything. The real work begins tonight. I'm excited to see Carman (and Chase) in stripes. 
Marshall will end up being the best WR from LSU in this draft class. Chase will be decent but nothing super special, won’t be surprised if he ended up out of the top 5 wr’s in this draft class. Don’t get me wrong I think he is talented but in a talented WR class think everyone will look back in a few years and wish other WR’s taken in this class were Bengals instead of Chase.
Chase looked good on the screen they ran. He looked fast. Carman was up and down. He had some good moments in the run game, particularly on the goal line and a couple of decent pass pro reps but I didn’t think he really separated himself from Jordan, who also didn’t look that great.

Hoping one of these two find their groove in these next two games.
(08-15-2021, 12:24 AM)KillerGoose Wrote: Chase looked good on the screen they ran. He looked fast. Carman was up and down. He had some good moments in the run game, particularly on the goal line and a couple of decent pass pro reps but I didn’t think he really separated himself from Jordan, who also didn’t look that great.

Hoping one of these two find their groove in these next two games.

Thanks, watched the game condensed so I didn't even see Carman yet. Going to watch it slowed down.

Prince looked great at LT which is awesome with his frame. Wild. Didn't expect this.
(08-15-2021, 02:25 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks, watched the game condensed so I didn't even see Carman yet. Going to watch it slowed down.

Prince looked great at LT which is awesome with his frame. Wild. Didn't expect this.

Pay close attention to Carman on those goal line reps. On one of them, he flat out mauls the defender. Looked great there and is fun to watch.
People who dislike the Chase pick just need to look at the targets AJ Green got last year. Now put Chase in that same role? Our offense will already be 100% more productive.

O-Line was fine last night... again the major key this year is a more balanced attack. Can't be passing the ball 50 times a game.
[Image: 1500x500]
(08-15-2021, 02:31 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Pay close attention to Carman on those goal line reps. On one of them, he flat out mauls the defender. Looked great there and is fun to watch.

I will thanks brother. Thats what I liked the most about Carman, once he gets his hands on you it is over. Keeps his hands inside
and just pancakes you. Mauler through and through.
(08-15-2021, 02:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I will thanks brother. Thats what I liked the most about Carman, once he gets his hands on you it is over. Keeps his hands inside
and just pancakes you. Mauler through and through.

Yeah, Carman should be a very very good guard for us. Just have to give the kid a little time to get his feet wet.
(08-15-2021, 02:35 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yeah, Carman should be a very very good guard for us. Just have to give the kid a little time to get his feet wet.

True, moving from LT to RG is not a small feat if you have been playing on the left side most of your life and then suddenly 
thrown to Right Guard against NFL D-Lines I am not surprised it is taking time, but it looks very promising from his first game.
(08-14-2021, 08:38 PM)tms Wrote: Mmm not quite. It was the Ravens, but at the end of R1 (#27, #31).They didn't have a R2. 

My preferred outcome by farrr was Sewell and Marshall, but I didn't expect Marshall to make 38. Maybe 33% chance at most. On the mocks I was tracking his average fell somewhere between 30 and 36. 

When he was still on the board at 46, even as a fierce proponent of beefing up the trenches, I would have taken him there too lol. Honest to goodness. I would have just gone all-in on the LSU motif and thrown caution to the wind (which we've sort of done anyway with Shelvin, Moss and... who knows who else we have our eyes on). Part of that was out of exasperation for passing on Penei, sure, but it was also BPA. Apart from the injury red flags that clearly hurt him, Marshall was an absolute stud. If we were willing to wait till 46 to address the line, I figured we might as well kick the can again.

It ended up being the worst-case scenario for me when we picked Carman. I didn't have him on the radar at all. He was late-50s at best, and at that point in the draft 10-15 picks is a sizable gap. Even more importantly, there were a good 8-10 OL I had ranked ahead of him that hadn't been picked yet. So it just seemed like a wasted opportunity.

But I don't know anything. The real work begins tonight. I'm excited to see Carman (and Chase) in stripes. 

Hmm... I was thinking of the mocks that came before his combine/pro day. That boosted him to where his average mock placement (according to draft database) was 33rd. That said, most mocks weren't accounting for the injury concerns that sprung up prior to the draft.

I was...and that's why I figured he'd be available to us at 38, which tbh wasn't far off of where he was projected prior to knowledge of any injuries.