Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(08-22-2021, 10:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Not concerned about Jamarr yet, but Green 2011-2013 had a less accurate qb than Jamarr currently has

also this bengals team has 2 proven guys at receiver with the potential of chase being a stud as well

Andy had Green, Jerome Simpson, Gresham for his first 2 years. Marvin and Sanu really broke out in 2013. So Green was counted on to be THE guy, and received a ton of looks from Dalton

Ditto. 

AJ typically had his drops in bunches, mostly in an entire game. Kind of like he just wasn't there mentally sometimes. 

I'm not going to think it's really a problem until about half way through the year, after he's had plenty of time to get back in sync with Burrow. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(08-22-2021, 09:50 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: If all else fails, look at the film.

I just spent about twenty minutes on YouTube looking at Ja’Marr Chase highlight film during his final year at LSU and something jumped out at me really quick so I watched more tape to confirm my suspicion.

The vast majority of touchdowns where Chase scored on a throw from Joe Burrow were outside the numbers.  That means the route is run between the numbers on the field and the sideline.  Chase occasionally scored on “go” routes and even more rarely on medium to deep crossing routes but I never saw any instance where Chase was targeted on short slant routes. He and Burrow connected almost exclusively on straight line speed routes outside the numbers; the closer to the sideline the better.

No wonder Ja’Marr Chase looks scared running those short over the middle slants.  He is!  From what I could see it appears to be the first time he has been asked to run this kind of route; I don’t think it’s a good idea to continue trying. He is an outside the numbers speed burner, period.

Watching his three drops.  Yeah it looks like he's trying to dance out of the way more than catch the ball.  He's hearing footsteps.  Same with the practice drop.  He's worried about getting hit.
I would have every player on the team carrying around footballs and randomly throw them at Chase all day. Needs to catch a fade route on his way out to the car.
(08-22-2021, 10:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: Not concerned about Jamarr yet, but Green 2011-2013 had a less accurate qb than Jamarr currently has

Less accurate than Brandon Allen?
I was one of the many also that said Chase is going to be fine.Hoping,(and trying to convince myself) and reassuring myself and others that he would be fine.But,After this past preseason game,I have to be honest,it is becoming very concerning.Why? Well,if you haven’t noticed,this AFC North division is super competitive.We need this guy to be at the top of his game to have any chance of a playoff spot.I’m not worried about our other two top WR positions.

He actually looked like he had regressed.Of course time is on his side for being prepared for the season opener.Let’s hope for the best.
(08-22-2021, 11:00 PM)ezekiel23 Wrote: I was one of the many also that said Chase is going to be fine.Hoping,(and trying to convince myself) and reassuring myself and others that he would be fine.But,After this past preseason game,I have to be honest,it is becoming very concerning.Why? Well,if you haven’t noticed,this AFC North division is super competitive.We need this guy to be at the top of his game to have any chance of a playoff spot.I’m not worried about our other two top WR positions.

He actually looked like he had regressed.Of course time is on his side for being prepared for the season opener.Let’s hope for the best.

[Image: giphy.gif]

I’d be happy with just not coming in last place in the division. Next year is when I expect them to make some noise.

(08-22-2021, 10:24 PM)Stewy Wrote: Watching his three drops.  Yeah it looks like he's trying to dance out of the way more than catch the ball.  He's hearing footsteps.  Same with the practice drop.  He's worried about getting hit.

He’s no TJ Houshmandzadeh. TJ took more huge hits over the middle than anyone I ever saw. That guy was fearless.
(08-22-2021, 11:00 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Less accurate than Brandon Allen?

good point
(08-21-2021, 11:56 PM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: Well it is the chase thread but I’m talking about everyone. A few preseason games in: Chase sucks can’t catch a ball, Dante Smith is the savior at RG, Ossai/sample have made this the most dangerous defensive line in a long time. It’s nice to be excited or disappointed but damn let’s get through a few regular season games and see what happens. If chase is sucking 4 games in I will be concerned at that point.

Yeah there's always overreactions on both sides. I was just saying that (for some) there will never be a point where it's okay to criticize..at least not until the player is no longer a Bengal. That said, yes we absolutely should give Chase (and every player) time to prove themselves one way or the other.

(08-22-2021, 12:20 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Unless ZT does a 180 we're going to have "He had ZT as a HC keeping him down" if Chase/anyone struggles.  Remember, we were at least open to the idea that ZT was going to resurrect Ross in 2019 and Burrow was going to resurrect Ross in 2020. 

We didn't call it quits on Ross until after year 4, even though he gave off bust vibes from game 1.

Hope springs eternal I guess.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
I'm changing my argument on this back to my pre draft one. Burrow wanted Chase so even if he's a total bust (which he won't be) it was for the best.
(08-23-2021, 11:20 AM)BritishBengal Wrote:

Really feel for him. He is having a nightmare week.

Guy, all that stuff is from yesterday, and has been posted already. Look through the thread.

(08-23-2021, 11:21 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Guy, all that stuff is from yesterday, and has been posted already. Look through the thread.

Yeah my bad. Thought it hadn't come up. Hard to sometimes know with the time difference. I've deleted it. Nothing to see here ha!

Updated version of everyone’s favorite offseason meme (credit to Kevin Cole from PFF)

[Image: E9e83UaXoAIkZbd?format=jpg&name=medium]

LMFAO ^^
(08-23-2021, 12:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Updated version of everyone’s favorite offseason meme (credit to Kevin Cole from PFF)

Hell, we could have traded down last year and had Herbert back there getting plastered behind Sewell the human turnstile while Ja-drop Chase put a goose egg on the stat sheet.
(08-23-2021, 12:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hell, we could have traded down last year and had Herbert back there getting plastered behind Sewell the human turnstile while Ja-drop Chase put a goose egg on the stat sheet.

He’s so unaware and obsessed with hating the Lions tackle

He posts that and simultaneously ignores Jamarr’s 3 drops against Washington lmfao

Jamarr’s going to be fine though. So is the Lions tackle

(But our run game needs to get going. The lions tackle, though not good at pass pro, would be the bengals best run blocker. A better run game takes pressure off our qb and opens up the passing game)

Anyways, that’s my last post of the day. I’ll come back tmr to catch up on the shenanigans
(08-23-2021, 12:36 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: He’s so unaware and obsessed with hating the Lions tackle

He posts that and simultaneously ignores Jamarr’s 3 drops against Washington lmfao

(But our run game needs to get going. The lions tackle, though not good at pass pro, would be the bengals best run blocker. A better run game takes pressure off our qb and opens up the passing game)

Anyways, that’s my last post of the day. I’ll come back tmr to catch up on the shenanigans

Well if history is any indication, neither the Bengals nor the Lions are going to do much with either pick.  Lousy franchises like the Patriots, Saints, etc usually don't turn their culture and fortunes around unless they get new owners, sadly.

But never say never.
(08-23-2021, 12:36 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: He’s so unaware and obsessed with hating the Lions tackle

Don't be asking more out of the golden child Mixon in these forums, you'll get eaten alive.
(08-23-2021, 12:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Updated version of everyone’s favorite offseason meme (credit to Kevin Cole from PFF)

No wonder he’s been dropping the ball. It’s Darius Phillips out there.
(08-23-2021, 12:36 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: He’s so unaware and obsessed with hating the Lions tackle

The only person obsessed around here is you. I posted a meme poking fun of both Sewell AND Chase. How the hell is that “ignoring” anything? I’m not happy with Chase so far, but he hasn’t even played a game with QB1 yet. I’m just not jumping off a cliff like the doom and gloom crowd. And I’m certainly not going to compare him to one of the biggest busts in team history.

And I don’t hate Sewell at all. Far from it. I was one of the first people on this board to start hyping him up back in 2019. I just happen to like Chase equally as much. And he’s the one on my team now. What I do hate is the people that won’t shut the **** up about not picking him. GET OVER IT. Especially with sign of improvement for our OL.