Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(08-30-2021, 08:12 PM)TheFan Wrote: What has Tate done to deserve starting over Chase? I mean obviously if he continues to suck in real games for an extended period we should start looking elsewhere. But a 4th year player who has already done very little with his previous 3 years over the 5th overall pick? I mean come on. These takes. 

We already saw Tate with extended playing time in 2019 and he barely had a 50% catch rate. For those of you keeping track that was basically the same as John Ross when he saw extended playing time. The same person many here are dogging Chase about.

Well what has Chase done to deserve a starting spot right now, other than being drafted really high up?

Besides when I mentioned Tate, I added a "?" next to his name because he is questionable imo as a starter, but he does have experience at the very least.

Don't get me wrong on Chase though, Im not being down on him. He is simply a rookie that didnt play last year. It will take him time to adjust to the NFL game, which is to be expected. I don't see him as a Ross 2.0 either, as I didnt like the Ross pick at all from the beginning.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Chase isn't even a top 5 receiver on this team based on what we've seen.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(08-30-2021, 09:55 AM)Whatever Wrote: Saw Sewell graded 35.3 in the Lions preseason finale, the lowest of any offensive player on the team.  He has the 3rd lowest grade through the entirety of preseason.

I find it interesting that Frank Pollack is brought up as some big difference maker any time folks talk about how the Bengals have basically the exact same players as last year on the OL... but nobody ever seems to think that Frank Pollack would have kept Sewell from struggling this preseason.

(08-30-2021, 08:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Caught the football.

Jesus, Nate. The man has a family. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(08-31-2021, 10:31 AM)jj22 Wrote: Chase isn't even a top 5 receiver on this team based on what we've seen.

You’re right let’s just cut him. Intelligent football management.
(08-31-2021, 10:56 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: You’re right let’s just cut him. Intelligent football management.

Not sure where I said that. Can you point me to where I did so I can clarify?

(08-31-2021, 10:22 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Well what has Chase done to deserve a starting spot right now, other than being drafted really high up?

You do realize that the coaches have seen hundreds of reps from Chase in practice and you have only seen 7 or 8 targets in preseason games, right?

If we chose our starters based only on preseason performance then Burrow is also on the bench.
(08-31-2021, 10:58 AM)jj22 Wrote: Not sure where I said that. Can you point me to where I did so I can clarify?

Some people don't think we will carry more than 5 WRs.
(08-31-2021, 11:18 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Some people don't think we will carry more than 5 WRs.

We could go with 5, but I think we'll go with 6. For awhile there I thought 7, but no one really made a case.

(08-31-2021, 11:22 AM)jj22 Wrote: We could go with 5, but I think we'll go with 6. For awhile there I thought 7, but no one really made a case.

This place gets silly sometimes.

You just shit on Chase by saying he was not even among our top 5 WRs.  Then you act SHOCKED when someone agreed that he sucked and said we should cut him.
If Chase ended up sitting while he works through his issues, who would take his spot as the 3rd WR?
I'm assuming it'd be Auden Tate, as Tate is listed behind Chase on the depth chart.

Would people feel ok with Tate as the WR3?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

(08-31-2021, 01:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If Chase ended up sitting while he works through his issues, who would take his spot as the 3rd WR?
I'm assuming it'd be Auden Tate, as Tate is listed behind Chase on the depth chart.

Would people feel ok with Tate as the WR3?

Would I be fine with Tate as WR3? Yes... IF they scheme it correctly.  It would probably have to be with Tate in the slot acting as an off the line TE.  Or on the outside for fades in the & goal situations.  It would mean playing Boyd more on the outside.

I'm also in favor of Stanley Morgan making the roster, and id like him to get some of the snaps in plays that don't favor Tate.
(08-30-2021, 08:12 PM)TheFan Wrote: What has Tate done to deserve starting over Chase? I mean obviously if he continues to suck in real games for an extended period we should start looking elsewhere. But a 4th year player who has already done very little with his previous 3 years over the 5th overall pick? I mean come on. These takes. 

We already saw Tate with extended playing time in 2019 and he barely had a 50% catch rate. For those of you keeping track that was basically the same as John Ross when he saw extended playing time. The same person many here are dogging Chase about.
In 2019 when Auden Tate got more playing time
73% of his 40-catches went for 1st downs 
Plus he averaged 14 ypc that year which was,best
On the team. 

If you want to look at a recent body of work of his
Rewind the Titans game 2020.
(08-31-2021, 11:26 AM)fredtoast Wrote: This place gets silly sometimes.

You just shit on Chase by saying he was not even among our top 5 WRs.  Then you act SHOCKED when someone agreed that he sucked and said we should cut him.

Why can't I be shocked at the notion someone falsely accused me of saying he should be cut? I never said we should cut him? Either way not sure what this response had to do with the post you quoted me on. Can you elaborate why it triggered you so? Even alluding to my "intelligent football management" style (I guess if I was in charge) mocking a notion I never even stated.

(08-31-2021, 11:17 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You do realize that the coaches have seen hundreds of reps from Chase in practice and you have only seen 7 or 8 targets in preseason games, right?

If we chose our starters based only on preseason performance then Burrow is also on the bench.

Yes. But he didnt play last year and he is adjusting to the NFL game which is incredibly difficult to do for any rookie, especially rookies that havent played in a real game in a year and a half. It isn't about the drops and his preseason performance, its what I said in the first part here. 

Again Im not talking down on Chase, its just going to take him longer IMO to adjust to the NFL game. Thankfully we have Boyd and Higgins so Chase doesnt have to have all that pressure right out of the gate as they can work him into an eventual starting role by second half of season at the latest hopefully.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

(08-31-2021, 01:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: Why can't I be shocked at the notion someone falsely accused me of saying he should be cut? I never said we should cut him? Either way not sure what this response had to do with the post you quoted me on. Can you elaborate why it triggered you so? Even alluding to my "intelligent football management" style (I guess if I was in charge) mocking a notion I never even stated.

A well placed comma would’ve saved the day here.

You’re right (that he’s not even the 5th best), let’s cut him. Nobody said that you said to cut him.
(08-31-2021, 01:44 PM)jj22 Wrote: Why can't I be shocked at the notion someone falsely accused me of saying he should be cut? I never said we should cut him?

Can't believe that you are getting your panties in such a wad over the difference between "Chase is our #6WR" and "Chase should be cut".

So just to be clear, your position is that if the Bengals only keep 5 WRs Chase should be cut, correct?
Chase just needs to settle down, he will be fine once he catches his first ball in the regular season.

Dude has damn good hands, he is just adjusting to the NFL after a full year off.
(08-31-2021, 10:40 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Jesus, Nate. The man has a family. Lol

I mean if a guy who caught 33% of his catches his rookie year and only 50% in the year he had extended playing time is your barometer for catching the ball you have a pretty low bar for that as well as comebacks. Because it's a really bad take. Imagine if he said John Ross, would you still think it made sense? Because Auden Tate had just as bad of a catch rate in 2019. Or AJ green last year. Or how about Daniel Coats. 

Again, what has Tate who's going into his 4th season done to start over our #5 overall pick? Catching the ball at an efficient rate isn't it. How about being a TD machine...oh he was only 1 in 3 years so not that either. I guess someone mentioned 1st down rate. Which admittedly is important and helpful but he's unreliable to do anything else and although his % of first downs is high his catch rate is low.

Chase is likely to surpass all of Tates stats in his rookie year so if you want him to sit behind Tate for no reason, by all means beat that drum.

Hide yo kids hide yo wife. 
(08-31-2021, 04:36 PM)TheFan Wrote: I mean if a guy who caught 33% of his catches his rookie year and only 50% in the year he had extended playing time is your barometer for catching the ball you have a pretty low bar for that as well as comebacks. Because it's a really bad take. Imagine if he said John Ross, would you still think it made sense? Because Auden Tate had just as bad of a catch rate in 2019. Or AJ green last year. Or how about Daniel Coats. 

Again, what has Tate who's going into his 4th season done to start over our #5 overall pick? Catching the ball at an efficient rate isn't it. How about being a TD machine...oh he was only 1 in 3 years so not that either. I guess someone mentioned 1st down rate. Which admittedly is important and helpful but he's unreliable to do anything else and although his % of first downs is high his catch rate is low.

Chase is likely to surpass all of Tates stats in his rookie year so if you want him to sit behind Tate for no reason, by all means beat that drum.

Hide yo kids hide yo wife. 

Tate may be over rated by many fans here, but he is as good as any of the other WRS we have after the top 3.
(08-31-2021, 04:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Tate may be over rated by many fans here, but he is as good as any of the other WRS we have after the top 3.

Agreed; It's a toss up after Boyd. Higgins, and Irwin
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]