Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(09-13-2021, 02:52 PM)Benton Wrote: Yeah, and to number three, it seems like that's going to live on for the rest of the season. The line looked better than last year's, but that's not saying much. It's going to get rough if Reiff or jonah (who both played solid Sunday) goes down.

That's the scary part. Jonah and Reiff played great (which everyone expected) yet we gave up 5 sacks? Interior PFF grades should be interesting.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(09-13-2021, 04:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That's the scary part. Jonah and Reiff played great (which everyone expected) yet we gave up 5 sacks? Interior PFF grades should be interesting.

Spain and XSF played well too. The issues were Hopkins got juked twice by the same player and we had Perine, Mixon and Sample each in turn miss an assignment on a pass rusher. Or in other words, if we still had Gio the 5 sacks likely becomes 2.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Burrow himself also could have done a better job of identifying pressure threats pre-snap. That doesn't worry me long term, but he'll need to carry on understanding that every hit he takes comes with a small probability of something ugly happening.
Watching that long pass to Chase as a TD sure was a fine time to be alive, though. We have missed the deep shot for a few years. I for one can't wait to see more, and I think what we haven't yet seen is where Chase catches a pass and breaks a few tackles to run it all the way to the end zone. It's coming.

In any case, Vikings defense is no joke and the o-line gave up 2 (hopkins... CENTER) so there should effectively be 0% regret over Chase as it stands. Our tackle play was excellent, and I for one LOVED seeing our IOL get out there in space and hit people.

This will be a fun year.
(09-13-2021, 04:37 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Burrow himself also could have done a better job of identifying pressure threats pre-snap. That doesn't worry me long term, but he'll need to carry on understanding that every hit he takes comes with a small probability of something ugly happening.

He held the ball too long on 2 of those sacks at least. It's obvious his mobility isn't all the way back yet. I'm just wandering if by running heavy to protect Burrow that Zack figured something out. Hey we can run the ball and win...
(09-13-2021, 04:42 PM)Tony Wrote: He held the ball too long on 2 of those sacks at least. It's obvious his mobility isn't all the way back yet. I'm just wandering if by running heavy to protect Burrow that Zack figured something out. Hey we can run the ball and win...

Something tells me if we had Frank and this specific O-line last year (HEALTHY... don't tell me 4 of the 5 were here.... they were in the training/rehab facility) then we'd have been more balanced like what we saw yesterday.
(09-13-2021, 04:31 PM)Joelist Wrote: Spain and XSF played well too. The issues were Hopkins got juked twice by the same player and we had Perine, Mixon and Sample each in turn miss an assignment on a pass rusher. Or in other words, if we still had Gio the 5 sacks likely becomes 2.

people starting to see Gios value
(09-13-2021, 04:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: people starting to see Gios value

I'd say most people saw Gios value last year, but he was just a bit (ok a lot) overpaid for that imo.
(09-13-2021, 04:42 PM)Tony Wrote: He held the ball too long on 2 of those sacks at least. It's obvious his mobility isn't all the way back yet. I'm just wandering if by running heavy to protect Burrow that Zack figured something out. Hey we can run the ball and win...

We can only hope he learned that.

Plus, it would be nice if he noticed that, hey a running game means they have to cheat up to help which opens up more deep passing options. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

(09-13-2021, 04:44 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: I'd say most people saw Gios value last year, but he was just a bit (ok a lot) overpaid for that imo.

whats the price to protect the face of the franchise?
(09-13-2021, 04:19 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Did Carmen even play?

No, but Carman did. Mellow

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure on one of Burrow's TD tosses, when the camera was zoomed in on Burrow, Carman was in the foreground running with Burrow to the endzone.
[Image: giphy.gif]
(09-13-2021, 05:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: whats the price to protect the face of the franchise?

Does Mike Brown even need protecting? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
As a former QB, I can tell you that about half of the passes that I threw, I was hit or pressured. About half of those were missed assignments by a RB/FB.

You think that Gio was good? How did Palmer do after Rudi went to Detroit? I think he lasted 3 or 4 games with Chris Perry as a starter. Rudi was the 2nd best pass blocking RB that I ever seen behind Walter Payton and is main reason I have a Rudi jersey.

So let's add the loss of Gio to the case of . . . "Yeah, we should have done more to address the O-line in the draft". AKA in some insecure circles as "Team Sewell".
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
(09-13-2021, 03:27 PM)Whatever Wrote: Why would the basis for this debate live on?  

Jonah, Spain, and Reiff didn't allow a pressure or a sack.  XSF allowed 2 pressures but no sacks.

Hopkins allowed 2 sacks, but Sewell doesn't play C and nobody he would have potentially displaced does, either. Mixon, Perrine, and Sample allowed the others.  In fairness, on the one Sample allowed, Burrow got to his second read and double clutched it.  

They had an effective run game.  

If there's debate, it should be why the Bengals didn't go after Corey Linsey.

This.

Now if you want to argue that we should have taken Creed Humphrey after trading back in the 2nd then ok, but our OT’s played great.

Hopefully the team banking on Hopkins being ready won’t end being a mistake.

(09-13-2021, 05:33 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No, but Carman did. Mellow

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure on one of Burrow's TD tosses, when the camera was zoomed in on Burrow, Carman was in the foreground running with Burrow to the endzone.

Not according to the lists I saw. The only reserve OL to get a snap of any kind was Prince, who had 1 snap on offense.  

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2021/09/13/bengals-vikings-snap-counts-week-1-win/
(09-13-2021, 05:26 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: whats the price to protect the face of the franchise?

Gio was on the field when Joe got hurt.

(09-13-2021, 04:42 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Watching that long pass to Chase as a TD sure was a fine time to be alive, though. We have missed the deep shot for a few years. I for one can't wait to see more, and I think what we haven't yet seen is where Chase catches a pass and breaks a few tackles to run it all the way to the end zone. It's coming.

In any case, Vikings defense is no joke and the o-line gave up 2 (hopkins... CENTER) so there should effectively be 0% regret over Chase as it stands. Our tackle play was excellent, and I for one LOVED seeing our IOL get out there in space and hit people.

This will be a fun year.

That one deep shot should set the tone moving forward. Teams will start to respect that, and it'll open things up underneath. Can't imagine what Burrow's completion rate could look like if that's how it plays out. Wasn't he 17/20 before his ankle tweak yesterday?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
(09-13-2021, 06:06 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: That one deep shot should set the tone moving forward. Teams will start to respect that, and it'll open things up underneath. Can't imagine what Burrow's completion rate could look like if that's how it plays out. Wasn't he 17/20 before his ankle tweak yesterday?

Something like that. Think he completed 10 in a row at one point.

(09-13-2021, 12:00 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: He made the kick; Zimmer was super-pissed.

I need to go back and check that out. I was kind of in and out while watching it at around 2am this morning. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
I hated us letting Gio go when it happened, check in this forum. I knew the value of a high level pass blocking back in any aerial attack. Perine might be a better power runner but I'll gladly trade that for good recognition and blocking skills.