Thread Rating:
  • 10 Vote(s) - 2.7 Average
The Ja'Marr Chase Thread
(10-07-2021, 04:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I disagree with your assessment. 

He didn't have a "catching" problem in college. I think he might have been more focused on perfecting his route running and being consistently where he's supposed to be. Once that becomes second nature, then time to focus on tracking the ball. And don't forget, he did have a year off, so his route running might have been a bit rusty.

And he didn't help by talking to the media so much (I felt he was very honest and that is a great thing, just not with the media. And I felt the Bengals PR team did him no favors by putting him out there after seeing the heat he was taking). They kept it going every time he spoke (Chase can't see the ball!).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(10-07-2021, 04:20 PM)jj22 Wrote: And he didn't help by talking to the media so much (I felt he was very honest and that is a great thing, just not with the media. And I felt the Bengals PR team did him no favors by putting him out there after seeing the heat he was taking). They kept it going every time he spoke (Chase can't see the ball!).

Yep, media did him no favors. 
But that's their job, beat down on a rookie and take what you say out of context for those clicks.

And Chase himself never once said he couldn't see the ball, he just said it's more difficult with out the white stripes.

If anything, he said him sitting on his butt for a whole year probably had more to do with it.

Either way it really doesn't matter, he made the adjustments and is doing great!
(10-07-2021, 03:54 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: broken arrow is a good flick
DAMN GOOD FLICK!
(10-07-2021, 04:15 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: I disagree with your assessment. 

He didn't have a "catching" problem in college. I think he might have been more focused on perfecting his route running and being consistently where he's supposed to be. Once that becomes second nature, then time to focus on tracking the ball. And don't forget, he did have a year off, so his route running might have been a bit rusty.

GREAT analysis!  

Like I said in other threads, he was just trying to get back into football and being technical about everything instead of just playing with his natural abilities.  He was thinking too much!

Now that he's back to just playing football, he'll be a hell of a player!  We just need the line to give Burrow time.......
(10-07-2021, 12:52 PM)Whatever Wrote: I still don't hold it against anybody that preferred Sewell or Pitts.  I just never understood the hate for Chase.  

This.

I wanted Sewell, but I knew we got a great player with Chase.
(10-07-2021, 08:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This.

I wanted Sewell, but I knew we got a great player with Chase.

Ditto.  I wanted Chase, but didn't hate Sewell.  But (if this link works), I can't imagine what it would be like around here if this is what we were getting out of him, and Chase was doing what he is doing somewhere else...(Miami?).

https://premium.pff.com/nfl/players/penei-sewell/81788/offense/blocking?season=2021&weekGroup=REGPO
(10-08-2021, 08:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ditto.  I wanted Chase, but didn't hate Sewell.  But (if this link works), I can't imagine what it would be like around here if this is what we were getting out of him, and Chase was doing what he is doing somewhere else...(Miami?).

https://premium.pff.com/nfl/players/penei-sewell/81788/offense/blocking?season=2021&weekGroup=REGPO

They clearly don't have an Oline coach like Pollack! 

They actually may since their oline has been pretty solid over the years.

Chase impacts this offense more than Sewell
Could have. If Chase isnt drafted then
The offense would still struggle with downfield
Explosive pass plays.
(10-08-2021, 08:29 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Ditto.  I wanted Chase, but didn't hate Sewell.  But (if this link works), I can't imagine what it would be like around here if this is what we were getting out of him, and Chase was doing what he is doing somewhere else...(Miami?).

Averaged out over the end of the season, Sewell's pass pro numbers would look like...

9 sacks, 17 QB Hits, 47 Total Pressures

Bobby Hart in 2020...

4 Sacks, 8 QB Hits, 32 Total Pressures

I still think Sewell will develop into a good player, but he was nowhere near pro ready coming out of college.  A lot of people got trapped in that "generational talent" hype that surrounded him.  

The killer is comparing Chase to the X WR's that were discussed in round 2.

Chase 17 catches on 25 Targets, 297 yards, 4 TD's

Dyami Brown 5 catches on 14 Targets, 51 yards, 0 TD's

Terrace Marshall. 11 catches on 17 targets, 93 yards, 0 TD

Rashod Bateman-Hasn't played
(10-08-2021, 10:33 AM)impactplaya Wrote: Chase impacts this offense more than Sewell
Could have. If Chase isnt drafted then
The offense would still struggle with downfield
Explosive pass plays.

That's assuming we didn't draft another receiver later (Rondale Moore).

(10-08-2021, 10:38 AM)jj22 Wrote: That's assuming we didn't draft another receiver later (Rondale Moore).

A 5’7 slot WR would not have been ideal when we already had Boyd, and needed someone to play opposite of Tee on the outside.

Anyway, this is silly. We got the best WR in the draft. No need to second guess the pick.

Bottom line: We needed the deep threat for this offense.

I was not sold on Sewell. He's a work in progress as are most OL coming out of college. Chase was way more pro ready.

Of all the available draftees where we selected, I think Chase was the right choice. The only other option was to trade down and try to get two 1st rounders, but the value has to be there.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
(10-08-2021, 10:38 AM)jj22 Wrote: That's assuming we didn't draft another receiver later (Rondale Moore).

Rondale Moore is the exact opposite of a deep threat.  His 16 receptions have travelled an average of 1.1 yards in the air past the line of scrimmage.  His average target is 2.2 yards downfield.

Ja'Marr's targets have been an average of 14.2 yards downfield.  His average reception has been 13 yards past the line of scrimmage.
Chase is good.

Sewell will probably be good, and regardless of whether or not he's good his performance in Detroit will have very little impact on the Bengals.

Let's move on. Team Chase has 4 TD receptions in 4 games. Team Sewell has Jonah Williams playing like a Pro Bowler. We're all in good shape.
For the love of all things holy - MODS plz lock this thread. All this thread is now is....

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse
(10-08-2021, 11:54 AM)Stewy Wrote: For the love of all things holy - MODS plz lock this thread.  All this thread is now is....

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Also, MODS, don't forget to ban anyone that calls McPherson "Legs Benedict". Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
(10-08-2021, 11:39 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Rondale Moore is the exact opposite of a deep threat.  His 16 receptions have travelled an average of 1.1 yards in the air past the line of scrimmage.  His average target is 2.2 yards downfield.

Ja'Marr's targets have been an average of 14.2 yards downfield.  His average reception has been 13 yards past the line of scrimmage.

I'm just saying Chase wasn't the only receiver and won't be the only receiver that produces from this class. So those who act like it was Chase or no other receiving help are speaking from their heart not their brain.

An elite QB is supposed to make the receiver. That is what we were told for a decade around here. Burrow would have made any receiver (ideally) selected in the 2nd round or later. Rondal who I mentioned because he is 2nd rookie leader in yards, could do better here when he isn't fighting for targets against 2 all pro wideouts.

(10-08-2021, 11:54 AM)Stewy Wrote: For the love of all things holy - MODS plz lock this thread.  All this thread is now is....

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

Dead Horse

They might as well pin or "sticky" it so they don't have to keep searching for it each week. 

(10-08-2021, 12:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm just saying Chase wasn't the only receiver and won't be the only receiver that produces from this class. So those who act like it was Chase or no other receiving help are speaking from their heart not their brain.

An elite QB is supposed to make the receiver. That is what we were told for a decade around here. Burrow would have made any receiver (ideally) selected in the 2nd round or later. Rondal who I mentioned because he is 2nd rookie leader in yards, could do better here when he isn't fighting for targets against 2 all pro wideouts.

We needed a deep threat WR.  Chase is the only one from the draft producing right now.

Rondell is a slot receiver who does not even run routes downfield. he would not have helped our offense at all.

Plus we addressed the O-line with a big free agent signing and a new coach.
(10-08-2021, 12:12 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm just saying Chase wasn't the only receiver and won't be the only receiver that produces from this class. So those who act like it was Chase or no other receiving help are speaking from their heart not their brain.

Moore basically just runs WR screens and flat routes.  He gets designed touches, which AZ has the luxury of doing since they already have a great WR trio of Hopkins, Kirk, and AJ.  Pretty much the only success he's had running anything down field was his lone TD against a totally busted coverage where he stood all alone for 3 seconds and waited for the ball. 

Chase will not be the only productive WR from this draft, but this team needed an X that was a deep threat and there has been no one else in this draft even close to him in that role.  It would not be a stretch to say the Bengals would be 0-4 instead of 3-1 if they hadn't taken Chase.
(10-08-2021, 01:20 PM)Whatever Wrote:  It would not be a stretch to say the Bengals would be 0-4 instead of 3-1 if they hadn't taken Chase.

I agree with this. He has been key to our success this season.