Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chief Fans thoughts on Bengals
(12-30-2021, 12:03 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm so high on Burrow right now, if he doesn't hoist at least 2 Lombardi's imma be sad.  The guy is the best (probably only) shot Bengals fans have at having their entire existence on this planet not be in vain.  Ok, that's a bit hyperbolic.

I like the hyperbole. I'm good with just one Super Bowl victory in my life time. When I'm out in public rocking my '47 Bengals hat, I want random people asking me if I'm a bandwagon fan because they won the Super Bowl instead of "You actually like the Bengals?" that I hear now.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 12:10 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Back on the mothership, so we're talking maybe 15+ years ago, there was a similar question to this.  It asked if we would be happy getting one, and only one, SB win out of the Carson/Chad/etc. Bengals or if we'd rather roll the dice and see how many they could win.  IIRC, most chose to roll the dice and see how many we could win.  

I don't want to see him or anyone else get "run into the ground," 
even if I'm not sure what that means exactly, but if anyone asks if I'd take one guaranteed SB win or roll the dice, it's an easy question to answer for me.  I want to see some Bengal QB, any Bengal QB, hoist a Lombardi before I shuffle off this mortal coil, and the years are whizzing by.  

Let me clarify, I'm not wishing injury on the guy. I was thinking about it more from a longevity perspective. Do I want Burrow playing a long time and winning a lot of Super Bowls with the Bengals, yes? But if for one season he takes a ton of hits and sacks while persevering to win the Super Bowl and it's the only one I ever see him win, I'll take it and be happy.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 10:28 AM)Reroka Wrote: Oh I agree, no team should assume that another team will walk all over another unless you're the Dolphins (lol)

with all fanbases there are fans that are arrogant, I also know any given Sunday any team can win vs another. 

As a chiefs fan, I do hope that my chiefs win but I also hope that both teams come away injury-free.

as I have said before you have a very young and talented team. I hope the front office can keep them together because you all can be a force in the future of the AFC and a new powerhouse in that div.

Appreciate your posts.   I think the Bengals are an ascending team and am really excited about their growth this year and potential for the future.

That said, the Chiefs are currently the cream of the AFC.   They have solved the issues from earlier in the season and are holding really good offenses to (with the exception of the Chargers game) to around 10 points.

Going to be a really tough game.   I am super psyched to watch.   I hope it lives up to its potential and  - like you - that there are no serious injuries.
Reply/Quote
I think that Joe's physical health from too many hits is a valid conversation. No one, including me, want to see him unnecessarily beaten up. And if the powers that be don't proactively address his protection next season, we will not be happy. But, especially at this point of his career, for someone to say that Joe Burrow is going to be intimidated and therefore fold by getting hit is a ludicrous idea. As we have seen more than once, he enjoys the sport's physicality. And more importantly, he gets mad when he gets hit, he doesn't fade away.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 09:30 AM)Reroka Wrote: Good morning all,

Not everyone over there is like that and I am sure every fanbase has fans like them.

I am not here to start junk, I am here to say good luck this coming Sunday. I think this should be a great game and should be the Sunday night game. I do think that the Bengals could be the chiefs. As a KC fan, I do hope that my Chiefs win and get that 1st round bye in the playoffs.

Nonetheless, good luck to your team and let's pray for a great game with no injuries for both teams.

Thanks all.

It just looks like that on a quick perusal, but i'm sure it looks like that on any internet message board on a first look. I spent some time reading through threads over there and it looks like you have a lot of long time, loyal fans that have a lot of good takes. As much as i hate to use the word "cool", i was impressed with the way you honor late fans in your memorial section. 

Good luck Sunday and here's to a fun, exciting (hopefully) game. ThumbsUp

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 10:10 AM)samhain Wrote: It has the feel of the 05 Bengals-Colts tilt at PBS.  Not the result I wanted, but still an absolutely epic game.  Established powerhouse coming in to PBS to test a young, less-experienced but still absolutely loaded upstart.  

This Bengals team has disposed of the perennial division powers pretty soundly, so now it's on to bigger challenges. KC is a no doubt great team, but this is the kind of team the Bengals have to be able to go toe-to-toe with if they want to become a conference power.  

It reminds me more of the '88 Bills regular season game. 11-1, #1 seeded Bills came to town against the upstart 9-3 Bengals. That outcome was much more desireable, with the Bengals winning 35-21. 

There's no excuse for being unprepared or starting slow in this game. It will show exactly where the Bengals stand in regards to the best in the AFC. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2021, 10:23 AM)Reroka Wrote: The first part of the year our D sucked ass, and our O was off. The last 7 games the D has really come on and PMII has really improved at hitting his check downs. Don't discount the Chiefs D, yes they have issues at times at stopping the run but they have gotten a lot better. 
Again this should be the Prime Time game this week, not sure why the NFL is not flexing this game.

I read that they couldn't flex KC due to max number of prime time games already...(i believe) unless they would have flexed out the Chargers game. 

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 12:45 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I read that they couldn't flex KC due to max number of prime time games already...(i believe) unless they would have flexed out the Chargers game. 

and that CBS protected the game from the flex.  Because it would be an extra game for KC the home network would have to agree to give it up. They wouldn't CBS only has a single game this week otherwise it would have been the 4:30 National Game

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(12-27-2021, 12:32 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Pretty cocky. They have a reason to be cocky.

Yep.

When you've had a winning season every season since Andy Reid took over as HC (2013), including playing in last two SBs and winning one of those, it's not surprising you think you'll beat everyone.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
All hits are not created equal. He took much more punishment last season in 9 and a half games then he has this season in 15. Only game I feared for his safety was the Charger game this season.
Reply/Quote
What we said here is that the Chiefs this year have not faced the strongest Defensive Lines. We have. And that the Bengals line is the first one since the Super Bowl they have faced that gets heat from both edges and also on the interior. So it is a test of the Chief OL also.
Reply/Quote
I am not sure where this "good D line" narrative came form but it seems more like wishful thinking than anything. They have faced 7 of the top 10 teams in pass rush per PFF, which take it for whatever it's worth but probably better than people just making the claim.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 10:10 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Should listen to locked on Bengals. They has a crossover episode with locked on Chiefs. Let’s just say that the locked on Chiefs guy was more cocky than the Chiefs fans. They don’t have any weaknesses at all and talked about all the weaknesses of the Bengals that they should exploit pretty easily. You could tell Jake Liscow and Japes Rapien were getting really agitated with the conversation. I’m not saying we’re gonna win or Chiefs will win but you just never know.

I’m pretty sure all crossover episodes, the opposite reporter picked their team to win, except maybe the Jets. James and Jake are usually realistic, while all the other reporters are always acting like their by far the bette team.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 03:04 PM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I’m pretty sure all crossover episodes, the opposite reporter picked their team to win, except maybe the Jets. James and Jake are usually realistic, while all the other reporters are always acting like their by far the bette team.

There's "pick to win" and there's being an arrogant snot. The Locked on Chiefs guy was an arrogant snot. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 02:58 PM)Au165 Wrote: I am not sure where this "good D line" narrative came form but it seems more like wishful thinking than anything. They have faced 7 of the top 10 teams in pass rush per PFF, which take it for whatever it's worth but probably better than people just making the claim.

It isn't a narrative. Even pro Analysts have mentioned that the Chiefs have not faced big time defensive lines this year and when you look at the lines in terms of sacks produced the Bengals (at 33 from the DL) are by far the most productive DL they have faced this season. Their Locked on Bengals guy opined that if the opposing team can get pressure with 4 and not need to blitz it could cause issues; well it just happens the Bengals DL does exactly that. 

So it isn't just our OL that is on the spot - so is theirs. And hopefully this week Lou opens up his playbook and dials up some shifts and moves up front to give Hendrickson, Hubbard, Hill, Reader (YAY!) Kareem and Ogunjobi the best chance to affect things. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 03:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: It isn't a narrative. Even pro Analysts have mentioned that the Chiefs have not faced big time defensive lines this year and when you look at the lines in terms of sacks produced the Bengals (at 33 from the DL) are by far the most productive DL they have faced this season. Their Locked on Bengals guy opined that if the opposing team can get pressure with 4 and not need to blitz it could cause issues; well it just happens the Bengals DL does exactly that. 

So it isn't just our OL that is on the spot - so is theirs. And hopefully this week Lou opens up his playbook and dials up some shifts and moves up front to give Hendrickson, Hubbard, Hill, Reader (YAY!) Kareem and Ogunjobi the best chance to affect things. 

I remember when we faced Aaron Rodgers with a depleted Packers o-line

sacked him once. Me, being a pessimist, thinks the same sorta deal will happen against KC
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 04:08 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I remember when we faced Aaron Rodgers with a depleted Packers o-line

sacked him once. Me, being a pessimist, thinks the same sorta deal will happen against KC

Yeah I remember that weird one too. No shifts, no twists, no stunts, nothing. We just lined up and went 1-1. I'm hoping Lou learned his lesson from that display and has some line tricks ready to use (like any good defensive coach should). 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 04:13 PM)Joelist Wrote: Yeah I remember that weird one too. No shifts, no twists, no stunts, nothing. We just lined up and went 1-1. I'm hoping Lou learned his lesson from that display and has some line tricks ready to use (like any good defensive coach should). 

The Bengals ran several stunts in that game. They just weren't effective. They ran some fire zones as well. Aaron hasn't been easy to sack this year, he has the 12th lowest sack % in the league. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 03:40 PM)Joelist Wrote: It isn't a narrative. Even pro Analysts have mentioned that the Chiefs have not faced big time defensive lines this year and when you look at the lines in terms of sacks produced the Bengals (at 33 from the DL) are by far the most productive DL they have faced this season. Their Locked on Bengals guy opined that if the opposing team can get pressure with 4 and not need to blitz it could cause issues; well it just happens the Bengals DL does exactly that. 

Cleveland's line is as good as ours, there are a couple others I think are but I have a buddy that has the PFF subscription that NFL teams get looking into it for me. The whole narrative of get "pressure with 4 and not need to blitz "has already been defeated a bit. You will get some pressure even with a really good line but not a ton, but the issue with 4 rushers was it created two high looks and Mahomes was horrible at taking underneath stuff early in the year and was turning the ball over at a high rate against two high looks. Since then the Chiefs have adjusted to the two high looks with their passing scheme and since no one is getting immediate pressure out of 4 man fronts it has really put a damper on that theory in my mind.

KC has now seen more two high looks than almost any team in the league since around week 3 or 4. I just don't think it's the magic bullet people want to act like it is because it's an old theory that KC has adjusted to. I mentioned in another thread, I think you need to go the route of sending pressure and getting physical with the receivers (i.e. holding them) and see if you can't steal a turnover or a couple sacks off that knowing you'll take a couple 5 yard penalties for holding at times. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2021, 05:26 PM)Au165 Wrote: Cleveland's line is as good as ours, there are a couple others I think are but I have a buddy that has the PFF subscription that NFL teams get looking into it for me. The whole narrative of get "pressure with 4 and not need to blitz "has already been defeated a bit. You will get some pressure even with a really good line but not a ton, but the issue with 4 rushers was it created two high looks and Mahomes was horrible at taking underneath stuff early in the year and was turning the ball over at a high rate against two high looks. Since then the Chiefs have adjusted to the two high looks with their passing scheme and since no one is getting immediate pressure out of 4 man fronts it has really put a damper on that theory in my mind.

KC has now seen more two high looks than almost any team in the league since around week 3 or 4. I just don't think it's the magic bullet people want to act like it is because it's an old theory that KC has adjusted to. I mentioned in another thread, I think you need to go the route of sending pressure and getting physical with the receivers (i.e. holding them) and see if you can't steal a turnover or a couple sacks off that knowing you'll take a couple 5 yard penalties for holding at times. 

The Bengals will need a near perfect redzone game on both sides of the ball to beat the Chiefs. On defense will Chiefs will move the ball no matter what you do it will be about limiting points by forcing them to kick field goals. On Offense the Bengals won't be able to survive off big plays like they have been. They need to methodically move the ball controlling the game limit Chiefs offensive oppurtonities and score touchdowns in the redzone.

Basically the Bengals need to show they are a complete team to compete with one of the most complete teams in the NFL.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote