Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
What Would La’el Collins Cost in Trade?
(03-15-2022, 08:39 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Malik Wright has better sources inside of PBS than just about anyone. Multiple times he’s been the first person to drop info about a FA, draft pick, etc.

That's what I hear. Maybe I just have a hard time finding it myself whenever he puts it out there because of how he uses Twitter. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 08:50 AM)Schmitbuck Wrote: That's what I hear. Maybe I just have a hard time finding it myself whenever he puts it out there because of how he uses Twitter. 

He did say last night, they aren’t done. Which I think we all figured, but it gives me confidence when someone like him tweets it. Last year he tweeted a bunch of pictures and GIFs hinting at FA. I didn’t see that yesterday. But still he’s pretty much in the know.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 08:22 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: They did, his name was Bobby Hart..

MellowMellow
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Does it concern anyone Dallas is apparently willing to just cut him since no one offered anything?
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:10 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Does it concern anyone Dallas is apparently willing to just cut him since no one offered anything?

Are we sure no one offered or is it likely they backed out if a deal trying to get more and no one wants to do business with them?
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 08:38 AM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: This is where we ask you to take one for the team.

Done. 
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:10 AM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: Does it concern anyone Dallas is apparently willing to just cut him since no one offered anything?

You can't help but think this way, but the Dallas media is very well connected to their FO. If there were something extreme that would stall a possible trade form happening, I feel like we would've heard why by now. 

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:39 AM)Bengalpool Wrote: You can't help but think this way, but the Dallas media is very well connected to their FO. If there were something extreme that would stall a possible trade form happening, I feel like we would've heard why by now. 

I think it’s just a very difficult situation cap wise. If they were going to trade him now it wouldn’t make sense to trade him for anything less than a very high pick. They could just designate him a post June 1 player and cut him and save millions of cap dollars vs trading him now and having almost his whole cap hit stay on the books.

If I were them I’d only consider trading him now for a first. Anything less isn’t worth eating all of the cap space. In reality it doesn’t make much sense for them to do much of anything with him until June. They could trade him them for pennies and still keep the cap savings at that point. They may be able to get a 2nd-4th for him at that time but it’ll be in next years draft. Or cut him then. They don’t get any cap relief from cutting him until June anyway even if they cut him today.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:15 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I think it’s just a very difficult situation cap wise. If they were going to trade him now it wouldn’t make sense to trade him for anything less than a very high pick. They could just designate him a post June 1 player and cut him and save millions of cap dollars vs trading him now and having almost his whole cap hit stay on the books.

If I were them I’d only consider trading him now for a first. Anything less isn’t worth eating all of the cap space. In reality it doesn’t make much sense for them to do much of anything with him until June. They could trade him them for pennies and still keep the cap savings at that point. They may be able to get a 2nd-4th for him at that time but it’ll be in next years draft. Or cut him then. They don’t get any cap relief from cutting him until June anyway even if they cut him today.

People seem to be thinking he'll be cut no later than Wednesday as a post June 1 release. It would push some of their dead cap hit into future years. You can designate a limited amount of players as post-June 1st releases. This is mostly per Jake Liscow.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 10:15 AM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I think it’s just a very difficult situation cap wise. If they were going to trade him now it wouldn’t make sense to trade him for anything less than a very high pick. They could just designate him a post June 1 player and cut him and save millions of cap dollars vs trading him now and having almost his whole cap hit stay on the books.

Speculation is they want rhe cap next year, not this year, hence the thought of people trading low picks or him getting cut this year.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 02:29 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote: I’d give a 2nd. Maybe a later pick as well. But I’m always bad at these. I never thought Khalil Mack wouldn’t fetch a 1st rounder.

A couple things: (I apologize for not reading all the comments first)

1.) Collins would be the highest rated PFF lineman on our team (even with Capps and Karras, who have massive 20 point improvements over their predecessors).

2.) Collins would be signed for three years at an average price of $10 million per year. Makes me think he could be a malcontent because that is about 60% his worth)

3.) It is a premium position (of need)

4.) Not a huge increase over what they paid Reiff.

5.) Dallas should want Collins out of the NFC.

Given all of that, I would offer our second round pick, and maybe one of our seventh. I would consider the first round pick as a swap with perhaps there a second or third round back, but they can’t have the first round pick exclusively. He’s only sign for three years, not five.

Given the additions they have already made, and the significant upgrades at those positions, right tackle is a glaring issue right now and he would greatly take care of it.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 09:23 AM)WVUHomer Wrote: Are we sure no one offered or is it likely they backed out if a deal trying to get more and no one wants to do business with them?

It seems as if the Cowboys have mismanaged the situation in a number of ways. 

First, they let it be known they are trying to clear salary (generally). Lower the cap number this year and get rid of guys on higher salaries they don't want to retain. If everyone knows the owner told you to sell, the price goes down. They did not get much for Cooper (a 5th rounder?). 

Second, with Collins specifically, they leaked that there were multiple teams interested and that if they did not get an offer they liked, they would just release him. This was intended to start a bidding war amongst 8nterested teams, but might have done the opposite. Why should teams give a high pick for a guy with some recent red flags? Especially when we could get him for free if he is released and Dallas took pennies on the dollar for Cooper? Are we sure Collins' price tag goes up in FA? By enough to warrant losing a day 2 pick? 
Reply/Quote

If you're Dallas...it's in your best interest to wait as long as you can. There are teams that need tackles that will miss out and the offers may increase.
Reply/Quote
Get the deal done for a 4th. Or 3rd. Ours is like a4th anyway. If he is cut we would have to battle other teams for salary. He has a good one now
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:47 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: If you're Dallas...it's in your best interest to wait as long as you can. There are teams that need tackles that will miss out and the offers may increase.

True, but with Collins (and Armstead) still out there, it kind of freezes the market. Trent Brown is out there. Plus a lot of the mid-tier guys. 
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:33 AM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: It seems as if the Cowboys have mismanaged the situation in a number of ways. 

First, they let it be known they are trying to clear salary (generally). Lower the cap number this year and get rid of guys on higher salaries they don't want to retain. If everyone knows the owner told you to sell, the price goes down. They did not get much for Cooper (a 5th rounder?). 

Second, with Collins specifically, they leaked that there were multiple teams interested and that if they did not get an offer they liked, they would just release him. This was intended to start a bidding war amongst 8nterested teams, but might have done the opposite. Why should teams give a high pick for a guy with some recent red flags? Especially when we could get him for free if he is released and Dallas took pennies on the dollar for Cooper? Are we sure Collins' price tag goes up in FA? By enough to warrant losing a day 2 pick? 

I disagree with some of this.

Collins is signed for 3 more years at $10 million a year. That's a steal for his production.

He gets waived, he'll certainly get more than that. Maybe $15 million a year.

So teams are trading the draft pick to get the reasonable salary for 3 years. Dallas is in a spot where they can wait and let free agency play out. Some team will get desperate and up the offer.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 11:49 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I disagree with some of this.

Collins is signed for 3 more years at $10 million a year. That's a steal for his production.

He gets waived, he'll certainly get more than that. Maybe $15 million a year.

So teams are trading the draft pick to get the reasonable salary for 3 years. Dallas is in a spot where they can wait and let free agency play out. Some team will get desperate and up the offer.

I agree with you.

1. Cowboys are resigning their own it seems or trading guys. Gallop and Gregory signed 5 year deal for 70 million. So comp picks likely come into plat.
2. If Collins is cut and get mega long term contract, the Cowboys will get a 3rd round comp. pick

I would offer our 3rd and our 6th for their 5th and Collins.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Learning the Bengals may keep Hopkins and see if he’s healthy again and may like having the versatility of having both Hopkins and Karras. Collins on their radar would rather get him w/o trading I’d suspect. They are happy about Karras and Cappa. Really fit a toughness that’s just not been there. Both really smart. The Bengals since Taylor have focused more on team leaders, winning teams/programs, and smart. Those two really excel in all 3. So they really like the fit.
Reply/Quote

If I am a team who wants him, I don't want him cut. I am confident he will get more than 30 million over 3 years and teams will be involved in a bidding war. The Cowboys leverage is Collin's contract.

I don't think they have any intention of cutting him, just trying to get teams to up the ante to get him.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2022, 12:24 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: If I am a team who wants him, I don't want him cut. I am confident he will get more than 30 million over 3 years and teams will be involved in a bidding war. The Cowboys leverage is Collin's contract.

I don't think they have any intention of cutting him, just trying to get teams to up the ante to get him.

They have to get under the cap tomorrow. They are resigning Randy Gregory. They are very likely to release him. The Bengals know his agent. I think he’s Mixon’s agent. I think it looks possible. Getting him w/o a trade is good.
Reply/Quote