Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
House Speaker Ongoing Melodrama
(10-20-2023, 12:27 PM)pally Wrote: Burnt toast at that.  He lost before they were halfway through the alphabet

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Well my rep is a republican who hasn't voted for Jordan yet, so I'm not sure which side of the war for the house I'm going to be drafted too. He went for Scalise, so I guess I'm not on team Jordan again.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Up to the M's and 21 "other" votes.

He's losing support.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 12:36 PM)GMDino Wrote: Up to the M's and 21 "other" votes.

He's losing support.

They're trying to send him a message, unfortunately admitting the reality of a vote and begrudgingly accepting the results and then altering your strategies based upon what you've learned isn't something his type and supporters are too into.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 12:47 PM)Nately120 Wrote: They're trying to send him a message, unfortunately admitting the reality of a vote and begrudgingly accepting the results and then altering your strategies based upon what you've learned isn't something his type and supporters are too into.

I'd like to see a GOP Rep have some real stones and vote "present".
Reply/Quote
[Image: Screenshot-2023-10-20-114947.png]

Didn't even get to 200.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 12:57 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: I'd like to see a GOP Rep have some real stones and vote "present".

They might.  I mean, just by voting for anyone but Jordan they are putting targets on themselves......politically, right?  Maybe they just roll with McHenry and bi-partisan-ish support.  It lets the government stay open and gives the MAGA nuts something to endlessly whine about.
Reply/Quote
And the Republicans are heading back into a caucus conference at 1PM. I hope someone explains to them the definition of insanity

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
It's bitterly amusing when MAGA supporters complain that the government isn't delivering what the American people want.
Reply/Quote
First vote: 20 Republicans against Jordan
Second vote: 22 Republicans against Jordan
Third vote: 25 Republicans against Jordan

I'm starting to think Jordan can't take a hint.
Reply/Quote
Maybe it's fake news, but there is a picture of a Jordan supporter with a stack of papers that outline plan to remove McHenry. Interesting if true.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 01:10 PM)pally Wrote: And the Republicans are heading back into a caucus conference at 1PM.  I hope someone explains to them the definition of insanity

they are pumping white noise outside the conference room door so no one outside the room can hear them yelling and cussing like they could yesterday

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 02:21 PM)pally Wrote: they are pumping white noise outside the conference room door so no one outside the room can hear them yelling and cussing like they could yesterday

Jim Jordan is probably in there putting one of the holdouts in the crossface chicken wing.
Reply/Quote
Jordan is no longer Speaker Designee. The secret ballot in their meeting was supposedly 88 for-112 against.

They are regrouping again and will revisit things again next week.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 04:02 PM)pally Wrote: Jordan is no longer Speaker Designee.  The secret ballot in their meeting was supposedly 88 for-112 against.

They are regrouping again and will revisit things again next week.

Damn commies have infiltrated the repubs now.  How else can JJ explain why Trumps vehement endorsement didn't get him the bid automatically.  GD commie conspiracies!
Reply/Quote
Yes Jordan is out so no speaker and also mo way for Biden and Democratic controlled senate to spend more money on Ukraine. Biden can spend money to Israel through some type of special war act that occurs within 30 days giving POTUS ability to fund the ally.

So to be clear, t2 wars, one we have spent over 100 billion and Biden wants more in Ukraine. The other Israel Biden does not need Congress to fund it, but he could face political consequence if he acts alone and the money is not spent wisely.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 06:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes Jordan is out so no speaker and also mo way for Biden and Democratic controlled senate to spend more money on Ukraine. Biden can spend money to Israel through some type of special war act that occurs within 30 days giving POTUS ability to fund the ally.

So to be clear, t2 wars, one we have spent over 100 billion and Biden wants more in Ukraine. The other Israel Biden does not need Congress to fund it, but he could face political consequence if he acts alone and the money is not spent wisely.

No money for Israel either.  Troops can't move.  Nothing can be done...just like the gop wants.

They say government doesn't work and get elected just to prove it...lol.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 06:01 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Yes Jordan is out so no speaker 

Actually, I'm fine with that.  Not sure that I cared much for him to begin with.  I just hope that there is one voice that can unite the entire party, as well as negotiate bills well enough to get bipartisan support.

Not sure that this magical, mythical leader actually exists.  In either party..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 06:08 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Actually, I'm fine with that.  Not sure that I cared much for him to begin with.  I just hope that there is one voice that can unite the entire party, as well as negotiate bills well enough to get bipartisan support.

Not sure that this magical, mythical leader actually exists.  In either party..

19 votes to get a grand total of 1 speaker who didn't even last a year makes me think the GOP should choose the willing democrat they find the least reprehensible.  They have a 9 seat majority which would disappear in a second if Trump demanded that everyone who follows him should change to the TRUMP PARTY, or something.  They keep acting like they're up 50+ seats and should have unquestioned control of things.

Republicans insisting they want/need bi partisan support while being extremely specific about the type of republican they will accept this support for is the political equivalent of that cliche where your wife won't tell you where she wants to go for dinner but you have to go down the list until you "pick" the specific place she wants to go.

The GOP pulling the plug on empowering McHenry shows their pleas for democrats to vote for a republican to keep things open are more than a bit disingenuous.  To think these schlubs did nothing for weeks and now they're punching out until Monday...and American civilians are talking about using their 2A rights to shoot each other.  Go figure.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 06:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: 19 votes to get a grand total of 1 speaker who didn't even last a year makes me think the GOP should choose the willing democrat they find the least reprehensible.

Or maybe - and I know this sounds crazy - put up a moderate a handful of Dems can vote for.

It's not like the Dems don't have some accountability in this mess.  The only reason we are where we are is because Dems wouldn't give a single vote to McCarthy the first time, either, and so he had to make that ridiculous agreement with Gaetz for the motion to be brought by a single rep.

Supposedly Pelosi said she would back McCarthy.  I don't know if that was true, or if he went back on some promise/agreement with her. But this is a bipartisan mess.  It almost happened to the Dems when they also had a slim majority, but I think it was like 15-20 seats instead of 8 or we might very well have seen a similar situation. Dems didn't even need to vote FOR McCarthy....all it would have taken was for a handful to vote "present" or just skip the vote.

Whether they blindly vote with their party, or commit "domestic terrorism" by daring to represent their district (as they're supposed to), people keep re-electing them so I guess we all deserve this.  When you have a comfortable majority, people like Gaetz are little more than fodder for cable news.  But with a slim majority, they suddenly gain power and influence through none of their own doing.

All I know is 20 years ago the minority party (either one) didn't uniformly oppose the majority on any issue of consequence.  People like Gaetz can't take hostages unless the minority party is willing to go along.
--------------------------------------------------------

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2023, 07:05 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Or maybe - and I know this sounds crazy - put up a moderate a handful of Dems can vote for.

It's not like the Dems don't have some accountability in this mess.  The only reason we are where we are is because Dems wouldn't give a single vote to McCarthy the first time, either, and so he had to make that ridiculous agreement with Gaetz for the motion to be brought by a single rep.

Supposedly Pelosi said she would back McCarthy.  I don't know if that was true, or if he went back on some promise/agreement with her. But this is a bipartisan mess.  It almost happened to the Dems when they also had a slim majority, but I think it was like 15-20 seats instead of 8 or we might very well have seen a similar situation.

Whether they blindly vote with their party, or commit "domestic terrorism" by daring to represent their district (as they're supposed to), people keep re-electing them so I guess we all deserve this.  When you have a comfortable majority, people like Gaetz are little more than fodder for cable news.  But with a slim majority, they suddenly gain power and influence through none of their own doing.

All I know is 20 years ago the minority party (either one) didn't uniformly oppose the majority on any issue of consequence.  People like Gaetz can't take hostages unless the minority party is willing to go along.
If the republicans had the undeniable majority they'd have their speaker like both sides have these past 200 years or so.

They have 9 more seats and at least 8 "Republicans" in those seats who put their own clout and agenda above the rest of the republicans.

Also id wager there are 0 democrats they'd vote for and as soon as any Republican got any democrat support they'd be rushing to declare him/her A RINO and pull the plug.

Or maybe they work it out. May be they'll all just vote for Trump and give the democrats the middle finger they promised.

Sent from my LM-X210CM using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote