Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Who should be Trump's VP choice and why?
Watch it be Junior, or maybe Eric.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 08:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Watch it be Junior, or maybe Eric.

I doubt it.  He doesn't even trust them with his business.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 08:37 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Watch it be Junior, or maybe Eric.

I'd doubt that, but if you would have suggested in 2016 that Trump would be able to convince the GOP to let his daughter in law head up the RNC with the goal of paying his legal bills, people wouldn't have believed it.

I think Trump would logically save the son stuff for if/when he wins in 2024 and if/when he decides to leave in 2028.  If Trump wins in 2024 the message is that "the people" want Trump to be president.  Not a republican, not a democrat, not anyone other than Trump, which along with his turning the RNC into another Trump-controlled entity would make me think the GOP is going to be stuck merely accepting the one single person Trump tells them to make their next nominee to take his place.

I can't see Trump winning in 2024 after all he's said and done and promised and he and the GOP saying ok....well he's served his 2 terms so now we're going to go back to looking at republican senators and governors and let them have primaries and pick one like it is the pre-MAGA era.  The GOP nominee for president in 2028 is either going to be Trump (because he lost in 2024) or the person Trump allows to take his place at the top of the ticket.  In that case I could easily see him promising his son would listen to his advice and almost be a proxy for him to continue his reign.  And I think enough people would be up for that that it could work, and by work I mean lose by millions of votes but still win.

(05-27-2024, 08:40 PM)GMDino Wrote: I doubt it.  He doesn't even trust them with his business.

I don't think Eric is quite the moron the media makes him out to be, as well as how much of a moron he makes himself out to be when he's under deposition.  With that being said, Trump values his businesses more than the USA.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 08:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump is making everything about himself and he's making everything about his movement and his vision and he's up in the polls and his supporters love it.  I don't see why he should stop playing the same tune and move towards the middle or make concessions.  His appeal is that he values no mindset above his own and that he won't back down or make compromises.

Add in that in 2016 he wasn't as popular and he had to balance his ticket with Mike Pence who stood in his way when Trump wanted an obedient lieutenant to carry out his will over all else.  

Pence was just a token ride along who would help insure the Christian Right vote. I think that Trump feels like he already has that vote going for him, so no need to double down. If he want's to increase voter likeability among the independent voters, he needs to pick a moderate as his running mate, like one of the two independent, former Democratic candidates like Manchin or Sinema.

I get that him going that direction would be to the horror of most Democrat voters, but honestly, it would be his best move.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 08:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pence was just a token ride along who would help insure the Christian Right vote. I think that Trump feels like he already has that vote going for him, so no need to double down. If he want's to increase voter likeability among the independent voters, he needs to pick a moderate as his running mate, like one of the two independent, former Democratic candidates like Manchin or Sinema.

I get that him going that direction would be to the horror of most Democrat voters, but honestly, it would be his best move.

Trump doesn't think he needs independents and moderates.  While politically picking someone from the middle would be smart, he will never ever pick someone he can't control.  Neither Sinema nor Manchin would fall into that category for him.   He would never trust them to say not certify a losing election because he told them to.

Frankly, I don't think Manchin, at least would do that, for all his contrariness, he is not a Republican and would not be used by Trump to beat a Democrat, even one he may disagree with

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 09:17 PM)pally Wrote: Trump doesn't think he needs independents and moderates.  While politically picking someone from the middle would be smart, he will never ever pick someone he can't control.  Neither Sinema nor Manchin would fall into that category for him.   He would never trust them to say not certify a losing election because he told them to.

Frankly, I don't think Manchin, at least would do that, for all his contrariness, he is not a Republican and would not be used by Trump to beat a Democrat, even one he may disagree with

Is that really even an option on the table, after the way Jan 6 turned out?  

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 08:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Pence was just a token ride along who would help insure the Christian Right vote. I think that Trump feels like he already has that vote going for him, so no need to double down. If he want's to increase voter likeability among the independent voters, he needs to pick a moderate as his running mate, like one of the two independent, former Democratic candidates like Manchin or Sinema.

I can see conservatives accepting Manchin, but Trump picking Sinema would likely horrify his voters since she was a democrat, has a lot of very liberal soundbytes out there, and she gives off psycho art teacher vibes.  Plus she votes in line with Biden a lot.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-congress-votes/kyrsten-sinema/

So did Manchin, but he gives off far less of a liberal vibe than she does, and perceptions are everything.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-congress-votes/joe-manchin/
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 09:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is that really even an option on the table, after the way Jan 6 turned out?  

Absolutely. He still maintains it could've been done that way. He does not see anything wrong with his actions on that day, or the actions of those who stormed the Capitol in his name.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 09:17 PM)pally Wrote: Frankly, I don't think Manchin, at least would do that, for all his contrariness, he is not a Republican and would not be used by Trump to beat a Democrat, even one he may disagree with

The reason Manchin isn't running for POTUS on his own right now is because he didn't want to play spoiler to help Trump get elected.

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 09:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is that really even an option on the table, after the way Jan 6 turned out?  

How do people think Jan 6 "turned out" anyways?  From what I see with people rallying around Trump despite it, I'd be outright shocked if he didn't respond to losing again by trying something similar to it again.  The biggest impediment to it would be that a lot of people who did it ended up being held accountable for it, where he did not.  We can argue forever if that is fair or right or not, but the point is that 1/6 didn't have any negative impact on him.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 09:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I can see conservatives accepting Manchin, but Trump picking Sinema would likely horrify his voters since she was a democrat, has a lot of very liberal soundbytes out there, and she gives off psycho art teacher vibes.  Plus she votes in line with Biden a lot.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-congress-votes/kyrsten-sinema/

So did Manchin, but he gives off far less of a liberal vibe than she does, and perceptions are everything.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/biden-congress-votes/joe-manchin/

Trump would lose conservative votes if he chose Manchin or Sinema

But Tulsi is a moderate independent a lot of us would love to see.

I understand liberals wanted Haley and her supporters which includes billionaires who donate to ditch Trump, but she did not. Trump is the leader of the GOP party and is bringing them all together plus adding from Biden’s base.
Biden has a lot of ground to make up in 5 months according to polls everywhere.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 10:08 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Trump would lose conservative votes if he chose Manchin or Sinema

But Tulsi is a moderate independent a lot of us would love to see.

I understand liberals wanted Haley and her supporters which includes billionaires who donate to ditch Rump, but she did not. Trump is the leader of the GOP party and is bringing them all together plus adding from Biden’s base.
Biden has a lot of ground to make up in 5 months according to polls everywhere.

there is nothing moderate about Tulsi

She is too independent for Trump and doesn't bring enough money with her

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 03:37 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I don’t think she’s interested. Her name was brought up often in 2020 but it never happened.

Not DJT's style.

If he were to play the race game like the left, only choosing a VP because of their physical appearance and/or sexual orientation, and insisted on a black female only, I would hope he would go for the one that would make their heads explode and nominate Candace Owens.

Then they would start with the fake liberal outrage for doing the exact same thing they have done for years.

It would be a hoot watching them tie themselves in knots explaining why is was okay when they have done it, but pandering when DJT did it.

And it wouldn't even be a big deal since they know the black kids out there do not even know what the word "computer" means, so they'd never find out...

https://nypost.com/2024/05/06/us-news/hochul-says-black-kids-in-the-bronx-dont-know-what-the-word-computer-is/
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 04:23 PM)pally Wrote: She's the Director of the Hoover Institute at Stanford University and has said she has no interest in returning to political life

That's interesting and makes sense. That's pretty much where she belongs. She's a strong woman with great sense. I've always been impressed with her.

(05-27-2024, 07:29 PM)pally Wrote: Joe Manchin is a year younger than Trump.  He needs someone younger.  

I think it will be Doug Burcham or JD Vance if he is looking for VPs with deep pockets (or access to big money) and who will do anything he wants.  Or politically Tim Scott who has also shown a willingness to do and say anything to support Trump

I don't know who Doug Burcham is, but a huge no for JD Vance. I could handle Tim Scott, but the only thing I have against him is he's too nice. 
Reply/Quote
(05-28-2024, 09:27 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: That's interesting and makes sense. That's pretty much where she belongs. She's a strong woman with great sense. I've always been impressed with her.

I don't know who Doug Burcham is, but a huge no for JD Vance. I could handle Tim Scott, but the only thing I have against him is he's too nice. 

It goes to show how obscure he is that I misnamed him...Its Doug Burgam, the billionaire Governor of North Dakota.  But, he has jumped into full-blown MAGA since he tried to run for President and he would bring extremely deep pockets to a campaign that needs money.

Vance, also brings money, and he has been the epitome of a yes man.  He is sleazy enough to fit seamlessly into Trump's circle

Reply/Quote
(05-27-2024, 08:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump is making everything about himself and he's making everything about his movement and his vision and he's up in the polls and his supporters love it.  I don't see why he should stop playing the same tune and move towards the middle or make concessions.  His appeal is that he values no mindset above his own and that he won't back down or make compromises.

Add in that in 2016 he wasn't as popular and he had to balance his ticket with Mike Pence who stood in his way when Trump wanted an obedient lieutenant to carry out his will over all else.  

(05-27-2024, 09:17 PM)pally Wrote: Trump doesn't think he needs independents and moderates.  While politically picking someone from the middle would be smart, he will never ever pick someone he can't control.  Neither Sinema nor Manchin would fall into that category for him.   He would never trust them to say not certify a losing election because he told them to.

Yeah, VP picks are often surprising. I don't expect less from Trump.

But I'm happy that a number of people recognize that he is not a "normal" candidate looking to expand his voting base 
with a competent partner. 

I'm pretty sure Trump's priority will be ideological conformity and willingness to lie for him. The VP will have to assert
he/she believes the election was stolen.  

People like Vance and Scott are WAY more likely to be chosen over "traitors" like Haley, who could also outshine him. 

The chaos of Trump's WH years and number of staff and advisors arrested should give any potential candidate pause.
A stint with Trump could be a career buster. I think that means the pool, such as it is, 
will be filled with those most power-hungry and sycophantic. 
Reply/Quote
It is being reported that ND Gov Dough Burgam, Ohio Senator JD Vance, and Florida Senator Marco Rubio have been assked for vetting documents by the Trump campaign

Reply/Quote
(06-06-2024, 10:46 AM)pally Wrote: It is being reported that ND Gov Dough Burgam, Ohio Senator JD Vance, and Florida Senator Marco Rubio have been assked for vetting documents by the Trump campaign

Brett Baier said those 3 plus others when he contacted his Trump sources.

Add Scott, Donalds, Stefanik and Ben Carson according to Brett.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2024, 10:46 AM)pally Wrote: It is being reported that ND Gov Dough Burgam, Ohio Senator JD Vance, and Florida Senator Marco Rubio have been assked for vetting documents by the Trump campaign

(06-06-2024, 02:11 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Brett Baier said those 3 plus others when he contacted his Trump sources.

Add Scott, Donalds, Stefanik and Ben Carson according to Brett.

If I were narrowing the field for him, I'd put Burgam, Scott and Stefanik to the head of the line.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-06-2024, 08:10 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If I were narrowing the field for him, I'd put Burgam, Scott and Stefanik to the head of the line.

I get the Trump surveys all the time. I have urged Tim Scott be his VP choice for months. Scott has a great story to tell. Obama was for hope and change, but once elected changed to caring more of the world stage versus America First. Tim Scott has a positive story to tell every voter regardless of party work hard, stay out of trouble and regardless of your heritage, you can be successful.

He is more than capable of filling Trump's shoes if Trump could no longer serve.

As for Biden's VP, I don't see any confidence voters have if Biden can no longer serve. To me the VP choice is one of the most important since Reagan. 

Reply/Quote