Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What Percentage of BLM Protestors Know What They're Protesting?
(07-24-2016, 11:43 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Again, I don't know what they're protesting or what they hope to accomplish.

The real question here might be, "What percentage of anti-BLM protestors know what BLM is protesting?"

I think Brad has already given us an indication of that percentage. Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(07-25-2016, 12:17 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The real question here might be, "What percentage of anti-BLM protestors know what BLM is protesting?"

I am not anti-BLM. 

I am, however, anti-people just causing disruption just to cause disruption.

I'm anti people playing the victim card just to play the victim card.

If people want to peacefully organize with a set goal of what they're trying to accomplish, then, by all means, I am all for ending racial inequality.  
(07-25-2016, 12:17 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: The real question here might be, "What percentage of anti-BLM protestors know what BLM is protesting?"

I do know that have social functions and sitting on panels with members of law Enforcement is not part of their agenda; this according to its co-founder.

Many fear being critical of BLM because they will be painted as a racist. Their cause may be just; however, their tactics are devisive and discriminatory.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(07-25-2016, 02:20 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: If people want to peacefully organize with a set goal of what they're trying to accomplish, then, by all means, I am all for ending racial inequality.  

Facebooks photos of yourself sitting quietly at a conference just don't establish the same liberal cred as a pic of yourself yelling at cops at a rally.

But at the rate Pokemon GO is exploding, no one is going to have the time or energy to attend these rallies  Hilarious
--------------------------------------------------------

(07-25-2016, 02:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I do know that have social functions and sitting on panels with members of law Enforcement is not part of their agenda; this according to its co-founder.

Many fear being critical of BLM because they will be painted as a racist. Their cause may be just; however, their tactics are devisive and discriminatory.

Some don't fear being called racist about anything.  They choose to stand on their "principles" and casually throw shade on the opposing side that it is THEY who are racist.

Some even do it in a very passive-aggressive way where they snarkily take one statement and use to make sweeping generalizations about everyone in that group and ignore any possible explanations even when they ask for them.

Luckily those people are seen for what they are.

For what it is worth the answer to you question was given...and it was in the very story you posted.

Beyond that it just an attempt to make BLM seem foolish for existing at all.

Color me stunned.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-25-2016, 02:20 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: "... people just causing disruption just to cause disruption."

"... people playing the victim card just to play the victim card."

Yes.

Clearly if we can categorize all people protesting racially motivated injustice as "just wanting to cause disruption" and "just playing the victim card", then it does make it a lot easier to dismiss them.

BTW - What exactly is "playing the victim card"? Is that synonymous with "playing the race card"?
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(07-25-2016, 05:28 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Yes.

Clearly if we can categorize all people protesting racially motivated injustice as "just wanting to cause disruption" and "just playing the victim card", then it does make it a lot easier to dismiss them.

BTW - What exactly is "playing the victim card"? Is that synonymous with "playing the race card"?

I clearly said that I'm not categorizing them all like that and pointed out that it's only the ones that clearly have no idea what they're even protesting.

The victim card and the race card are similar in that I see the race card as more of "you're only saying that because I'm black," whereas the victim card is "oh, we're treated so badly because we're black."
(07-25-2016, 05:28 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Clearly if we can categorize all people protesting racially motivated injustice as "just wanting to cause disruption" and "just playing the victim card", then it does make it a lot easier to dismiss them.

No doubt; generalizing folks is in bad taste. 

On a related note, have public protests caused any real change in recent history (say the last 15-20 years)? I don't mean changes that would've occurred regardless of protesting. I mean, change that occurred BECAUSE of the protesting. I'm sure it's had to have happened, I just honestly can't think of anything - at least, anything nationally.

I ask mainly with the question of does protesting (of any kind) do any good? I know it does to SOME degree and I certainly don't begrudge anyone their right to do so peacefully, I just wonder if, in the long run, the people's efforts might be put to a better use in bringing about the change they are looking for.
(07-26-2016, 10:37 AM)PhilHos Wrote: On a related note, have public protests caused any real change in recent history (say the last 15-20 years)? I don't mean changes that would've occurred regardless of protesting. I mean, change that occurred BECAUSE of the protesting. I'm sure it's had to have happened, I just honestly can't think of anything - at least, anything nationally.

I ask mainly with the question of does protesting (of any kind) do any good? I know it does to SOME degree and I certainly don't begrudge anyone their right to do so peacefully, I just wonder if, in the long run, the people's efforts might be put to a better use in bringing about the change they are looking for.

That's a very good question.

I think if nothing else a public protest can draw attention to a "problem" and maybe get the attention of lawmakers?

Of course with 90% winning reelection no matter what it may not matter at all.

But other than marching or picketing there isn't much an individual can do.

We often take part in letter writing campaigns for the food bank and other local causes, but actually showing up and letting people see your face and that there are a lot of you who care about an issue probably has more immediate impact.
(07-26-2016, 10:41 AM)GMDino Wrote: That's a very good question.

I think if nothing else a public protest can draw attention to a "problem" and maybe get the attention of lawmakers?

Of course with 90% winning reelection no matter what it may not matter at all.

But other than marching or picketing there isn't much an individual can do.

We often take part in letter writing campaigns for the food bank and other local causes, but actually showing up and letting people see your face and that there are a lot of you who care about an issue probably has more immediate impact.

That's what I meant by doing "SOME good". I know protesting can get a message out that may or may not be overlooked. But aside from that ...?
(07-26-2016, 10:47 AM)PhilHos Wrote: That's what I meant by doing "SOME good". I know protesting can get a message out that may or may not be overlooked. But aside from that ...?

Aside from that it is an opportunity for like minded people to try and make their voice heard.

If you can't buy a vote you might have to scream for one.
(07-26-2016, 10:37 AM)PhilHos Wrote: On a related note, have public protests caused any real change in recent history (say the last 15-20 years)? I don't mean changes that would've occurred regardless of protesting. I mean, change that occurred BECAUSE of the protesting. I'm sure it's had to have happened, I just honestly can't think of anything - at least, anything nationally.

As Dino stated, it does raise awareness.

Unfortunately, the tactics of some demonstrations make matters worse.
There has been a lot of animosity created by the current blocking of highways and I believe they've set their cause back a bit.
Groups really need to consider the reaction of the general public, when planning actions.
Flies, vinegar, honey, and all...

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Figured this was as good of a place to drop this as any:

https://policy.m4bl.org/

BLM has just issued thier 6 demands. Unfortunately, I cannot read it now, but look forward to doing so and ascertaining what their course of action will be if demands are not met.

(08-02-2016, 01:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured this was as good of a place to drop this as any:

BLM has just issued thier 6 demands. Unfortunately, I cannot read it now, but look forward to doing so and ascertaining what their course of action will be if demands are not met.

That was a fun read.    Whatever

I bet they'll protest more.
(08-02-2016, 01:19 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Figured this was as good of a place to drop this as any:

Cliffnotes:

1. End basically anything you can argue disproportionately affects black people in society.  This one is long (that's what she said) and really vague and reaches a lot of areas. Some of it makes sense (end capital punishment and spend money on rehabilitation, not incarceration) and some are dumb (no prisons, no cops in school, no money bail or fines)

2. Reparations in the form of free school, "livable" wage, funding for housing/welfare programs, preservation of cultural sites, inclusion of blakc history and culture in school. 

3. Spend law enforcement related money on education, health care, etc. 

4. Every Bernie Sanders policy (basically)

5. More citizen involvement in police and school

6. Public financing for elections, release political prisoners, protect the right to vote, net neutrality, fund HBCU's, and take some black domestic terrorist off a terrorist list or something.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-02-2016, 01:39 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Cliffnotes:

Free stuff
--------------------------------------------------------

(08-04-2016, 04:51 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Free stuff

Some of it, sure. Surprised no one else read it.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

http://www.10news.com/news/national/milwaukee-begins-cleanup-after-violent-night-of-riots

Quote:Speaking at a news conference Sunday afternoon, Milwaukee police Chief Ed Flynn identified Sylville Smith as the man shot by a police officer a day earlier after he fled a traffic stop. Mayor Tom Barrett said it was clear from police body camera footage that Smith was holding a gun when he was shot several times.

"It was in his hand. He was raising up with it," Flynn said at the news conference.

Smith's death sparked explosive protests in northern Milwaukee, a town of 600,000 where roughly 40 percent of residents are black. At least four businesses were burned down in the protests that stretched into Sunday morning, leading Gov. Scott Walker to activate National Guard troops in case violence persists.

(08-14-2016, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: http://www.10news.com/news/national/milwaukee-begins-cleanup-after-violent-night-of-riots

Another case of jagoffs not caring about black lives, but caring more about breaking and stealing shit.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."