Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transexual threatens to send a fellow show guest home in an ambulance
(07-19-2015, 01:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yes and APA considers it a choice.

Eh? The page you linked said "most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
(07-19-2015, 01:43 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Actually the fact that you and someone else started discussing something that had absolutely nothing to do with the OP doesn't give you a monopoly on the subject of discussion.

I also gave you a definition for straight. Do you need me to explain to you that a word often has more than one meaning.

Yes and APA considers it a choice.

Yea, Lucy and I were not discussing the OP. We had our own side conversation. You chose to enter it. If you want your opinion to be considered, at least make it on topic.

And I understand that words can have more than one meaning, but your confusion isn't an excuse after the context was repeatedly explained. At this point, you're just sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting loudly.

Also, as rfaulk pointed out, your link from the APA said that no one knows what causes sexual orientation, but "most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation"

how is that the APA considering it a choice when they say that most people have either little or no sense of choice?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(07-19-2015, 08:33 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm not sure. That's a very specific hypothetical scenario. I'm pretty sure most boys who go to all boy boarding schools don't turn out gay, but women still exist in their world. 

It's interesting that your only argument is a very unrealistic scenario. 

Not unrealistic at all ... My scenario is dependent on not having the opportunity during youth/puberty to make an emotional connection with a girl. Whether your in a world of no females or just not able to have the skills to connect with one.. Your still in a world with no ability to make an emotional connection with a female .... Which pushes you to find an outlet. Raging hormones and all.
(07-19-2015, 04:17 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: so if you grew up with no women around and your only expierence was with men.   What do you think the likelihood is that you would find comfort with a man?   Remember being raised in a men only world.   So take it back to going through puberty and all.

If there were no women in the world what you are describing would be the norm.  There would be nothing strange or "icky" about it.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-19-2015, 11:00 AM)bfine32 Wrote: You mean somewhere like a prison?

I hate using that example because no one seems capable to continue the discussion without getting hysterical.

You could say the mental stress of being locked up piles up and they need an emotional connection. Which would make them go that way in the meantime.

I do think your imprinted at a young age. As you learn how your hormones work. And your inability to connect with the opposite sex will push you to find other alternatives.
(07-19-2015, 03:18 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I hate using that example because no one seems capable to continue the discussion without getting hysterical.    

You could say the mental stress of being locked up piles up and they need an emotional connection.      Which would make them go that way in the meantime.    

I do think your imprinted at a young age.   As you learn how your hormones work.   And your inability to connect with the opposite sex will push you to find other alternatives.

You're still talking about "sex" and not sexuality.

If a man and woman have anal sex does that make him gay? Or is a BJ or a HJ? The physical act is not the same as the sexuality.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(07-19-2015, 01:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Eh? The page you linked said "most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation."

Why do you think they said "sense of choice" instead of it is not a choice for most people?

They are suggesting everyone makes the choice; it is just that many do it without conscious thought. This does not mean that the brain did not process the thought or choice. They are also stating that some make this thought consciously
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(07-19-2015, 02:37 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Yea, Lucy and I were not discussing the OP. We had our own side conversation. You chose to enter it. If you want your opinion to be considered, at least make it on topic.

If you go back to post 72 you will see that you reponded to a post where my thoughts of sexuality occuring in the brain were referenced. You asked to show how it was a choice. Not sure how me replying is "not being on topic".

At this point we are just debating the definition of a word. When you asked me when did I choose to be "straight". I assumed you were asking when did I make the choice ti be stright (follow normal mores). Apparently you were asking when did I choose to be attracted to females. As I said, that question is more difficult to answer; however, I have zero doubt that I made it.

So, being gay is a choice, but it's not a choice that you actually choose, but rather one that your brain subconciously chooses for you? What if your choice would be different? Does your brain still choose what you wouldn't choose? Can you choose to override your brain's subconscious choice?
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(07-19-2015, 03:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: So, being gay is a choice, but it's not a choice that you actually choose, but rather one that your brain subconciously chooses for you? What if your choice would be different? Does your brain still choose what you wouldn't choose? Can you choose to override your brain's subconscious choice?

Some do, some do not. Everyone's brain is not "wired" the same. Did you not read the APA's stance on the matter? Or Dr Drew in the OP saying we should get away from genetics and back to brain scans?

Many can choose to "override" the processes of the brain. I wish it were easier to explain to you; you seem confused.

Perhaps this will help: When did you choose not to be a serial killer? Has everybody made this same choice or are some born with a killer gene?

(07-19-2015, 04:02 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Some do, some do not. Everyone's brain is not "wired" the same. Did you not read the APA's stance on the matter? Or Dr Drew in the OP saying we should get away from genetics and back to brain scans?

Many can choose to "override" the processes of the brain. I wish it were easier to explain to you; you seem confused.

Perhaps this will help: When did you choose not to be a serial killer? Has everybody made this same choice or are some born with a killer gene?

Dude, you are reaching so ridiculously far to back up this point of view.  You've come to a conclusion and are now trying to piece things together to fit that conclusion.  And yes, I am confused.  It's confusing that you're calling this a choice and then saying that you have no choice in the matter.  There is nothing there that should make sense to anyone.

Me, I don't know why people are gay.  Is it genetic? Is it a mental illness? Is it something that you choose?  I don't know.  I haven't seen any proof one way or another.  The only evidence that I have is my own, and I know as a 100% fact that I never had to make a choice....being gay was never an option.  I know that you've said that it was an option for you, but for me, it was clear from a very early age....I was sexually attracted to girls. 

I'll wait for actual information to show why people are gay instead of only looking for clue that fit my already held views.  Due to my personal experience though, my opinion is that it's either genetic or a mental issue, rather than a choice.
LFG  

(07-19-2015, 03:24 PM)GMDino Wrote: You're still talking about "sex" and not sexuality.

If a man and woman have anal sex does that make him gay?  Or is a BJ or a HJ?  The physical act is not the same as the sexuality.

Go back and read the whole discussion.   I have repeatedly said sex is irrlevent.   Which is why I think it has to do with the emotional connection we made while hornones are raging in puberty.   If your not successful making one with women your body will go find it elsewhere.    And bfine's example has some merit.    Prisoners get an emotional connection while under a great amount of stress in jail .

It's a mental/emotional issue. Not a "born with it" scenario.
(07-19-2015, 03:54 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: So, being gay is a choice, but it's not a choice that you actually choose, but rather one that your brain subconciously chooses for you? What if your choice would be different? Does your brain still choose what you wouldn't choose? Can you choose to override your brain's subconscious choice?

What if your choice is made based on mental and emotional state.
(07-19-2015, 04:19 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: What if your choice is made based on mental and emotional state.

Then you are still making a choice.

Again, I know for a fact that you can choose to engage in homosexual activities...there is a clear choice there.  Where it isn't clear, is whether or not you can choose who you're attracted to. I could not make that choice. I was always sexually attracted to girls.  I couldn't even make the choice in which girls I wanted to be sexually attracted to, and because of this, wanted to bang my best friend's grilfriend.  It's not something that I chose, it was a natural sexual attraction.

For some people, it may be a choice, but I've never met a gay guy that says they chose it and I've never had the ability to chose it myself. Therefore, I do not think there is any choice to it.
LFG  

(07-19-2015, 03:12 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Not unrealistic at all ...  My scenario is dependent on not having the opportunity during youth/puberty  to make an emotional connection with a girl.     Whether your in a world of no females or just not able to have the skills to connect with one..  Your still in a world with no ability to make an emotional connection with a female .... Which pushes you to find an outlet.    Raging hormones and all.

There is no semi-reputable (or any at all that i know of) source that thinks SSA could be caused by an inability to make an emotional connection with the opposite sex around the time of puberty. Like i already said, if that were the case, the population would have a much higher percentage of *****/heterosexuals. There are scores and scores of boys and girls that are socially awkward and not "able" to make a connection with the opposite sex--either early or even later in life.

When i was 8 years old, there was a girl in my neighborhood that used to chase me around and would tell me, "whenever you want, let me know and we can have sex". Eight.Years.Old.  I used to run away and climb trees to get away from her. Then when i was around 14-16 there was another girl (daughter of a preacher) that was on me allll the time to have sex with her. I was never interested in girls too much from an early age until around 18 or so. I was much more interested in sports and hanging with my friends. At no point did i ever find myself even remotely attracted to another male.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Still arguing action vs attraction? 
(07-19-2015, 03:33 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Why do you think they said "sense of choice" instead of it is not a choice for most people?

They are suggesting everyone makes the choice; it is just that many do it without conscious thought. This does not mean that the brain did not process the thought or choice. They are also stating that some make this thought consciously

They said little or no sense of choice because it wasn't something they actively decided. It was innate.

(07-19-2015, 03:44 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you go back to post 72 you will see that you reponded to a post where my thoughts of sexuality occuring in the brain were referenced. You asked to show how it was a choice. Not sure how me replying is "not being on topic".

At this point we are just debating the definition of a word. When you asked me when did I choose to be "straight". I assumed you were asking when did I make the choice ti be stright (follow normal mores). Apparently you were asking when did I choose to be attracted to females. As I said, that question is more difficult to answer; however, I have zero doubt that I made it.

Just wanted to highlight this to bring up a previous question i asked. If you have zero doubt that you made the "choice", was there an internal debate where you weighed the pros and cons; or did you stop and consciously decide whether you liked the way boys looked versus girls? For you to say you made the choice, it implies that there was a real chance, in your mind, that you could have been attracted to males but you decided for one reason or the other that you would be attracted to girls.

(07-19-2015, 04:42 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Still arguing action vs attraction? 

Pretty much!  Sad

(07-19-2015, 04:16 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Dude, you are reaching so ridiculously far to back up this point of view.  You've come to a conclusion and are now trying to piece things together to fit that conclusion.  And yes, I am confused.  It's confusing that you're calling this a choice and then saying that you have no choice in the matter.  There is nothing there that should make sense to anyone.

Me, I don't know why people are gay.  Is it genetic? Is it a mental illness? Is it something that you choose?  I don't know.  I haven't seen any proof one way or another.  The only evidence that I have is my own, and I know as a 100% fact that I never had to make a choice....being gay was never an option.  I know that you've said that it was an option for you, but for me, it was clear from a very early age....I was sexually attracted to girls. 

I'll wait for actual information to show why people are gay instead of only looking for clue that fit my already held views.  Due to my personal experience though, my opinion is that it's either genetic or a mental issue, rather than a choice.

No doubt I am reaching because I agree with the APA on the matter.

Funny, you don't know what it is; you just know my POV is wrong and makes no sense.

You never answered when you made the choice not to be a serial killer?