Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seattle and the minimum wage increase
(07-20-2015, 10:32 PM)Ryuko Wrote: I agree.

Fast food has become remarkably overpriced in the past 3-5 years. McDonald's was one of the last holdouts, but they've recently gotten rid of their dollar menu. Due to the rise in prices, I've simply stopped going. If I'm desperate enough to pay $7-8 for a burger-and-fry meal, I'm going to have it served to me somewhere the forks aren't plastic. I still tip, mind you, but I find myself increasingly annoyed by the "suggested amounts" they print on receipts. 21%? I can't recall having service to justify that outside a Jeff Ruby steakhouse.

The food prices have risen so much that they don't always get even 15% from me.  Sometimes it's 10%.   When the food prices go up, the tip prices go up.  They should be glad anyone is eating out at this point.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
What's up with all of you nerds dropping your tip amounts because of rising prices? That's how these people make their living, and they don't have a say in whether or not wages or prices go up. Also, speaking from experience, when minimum wage goes up, it doesn't necessarily apply to tipped employees. It probably would in a jump from 8.10$ to 15$, but the people that you're taking your anger and frustration out on likely haven't gotten a cost of living raise in years.

If you don't have the money to properly tip, then keep your ass at home and Make and serve your own food.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

(07-26-2015, 06:53 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: The food prices have risen so much that they don't always get even 15% from me.  Sometimes it's 10%.   When the food prices go up, the tip prices go up.  They should be glad anyone is eating out at this point.  

Did you see where McDonald's is experimenting with fine dining.
(07-26-2015, 12:45 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: What's up with all of you nerds dropping your tip amounts because of rising prices?  That's how these people make their living, and they don't have a say in whether or not wages or prices go up.  Also, speaking from experience, when minimum wage goes up, it doesn't necessarily apply to tipped employees.  It probably would in a jump from 8.10$ to 15$, but the people that you're taking your anger and frustration out on likely haven't gotten a cost of living raise in years.

If you don't have the money to properly tip, then keep your ass at home and Make and serve your own food.

Wouldn't 50 of 10% tips be better than 10 of 15% tips?

Seems volume would be better rather than %
(07-26-2015, 07:43 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Did you see where McDonald's is experimenting with fine dining.

You mean this?  Yea it was a flop circa 1996.

[Image: mcdonalds-arch-deluxe.jpg]
(07-26-2015, 12:45 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: What's up with all of you nerds dropping your tip amounts because of rising prices?  That's how these people make their living, and they don't have a say in whether or not wages or prices go up.  Also, speaking from experience, when minimum wage goes up, it doesn't necessarily apply to tipped employees.  It probably would in a jump from 8.10$ to 15$, but the people that you're taking your anger and frustration out on likely haven't gotten a cost of living raise in years.

I see your point, but the large raise in food prices means a large raise in tips too.  In some places it seems the prices have almost doubled the last few years.  I don't want to insult anyone.  If they don't want my 10% then I won't go at all.  I eat in most of the time anyway.
(07-26-2015, 09:09 PM)BonnieBengal Wrote: I see your point, but the large raise in food prices means a large raise in tips too.  In some places it seems the prices have almost doubled the last few years.  I don't want to insult anyone.  If they don't want my 10% then I won't go at all.  I eat in most of the time anyway.

I'm sure that they'll take your 10%, but if you work on a table for an hour and their bill ends up being 100 bucks, a 10 dollar tip is kind of a snub unless you're a shitty server.  If a server is taking care of your needs properly, which is their job, they deserve to be compensated for that in an appropriate manner.  If they don't, then feel free to give them a bit less.  I just don't see why anyone would punish them, and start tipping less for their company's decision to raise prices.

As a former server, I appreciated every tip I got, but I won't lie and say that I wasn't disappointed when I gave some damned good service and the people acted like the didn't appreciate me as well.  Really, not everyone deserves 15-20%, but if you get the service that's worth it, you should show the love.

At least you're tipping though.  Not tipping at all is just a d-bag move.
LFG  

(07-26-2015, 06:53 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: The food prices have risen so much that they don't always get even 15% from me.  Sometimes it's 10%.   When the food prices go up, the tip prices go up.  They should be glad anyone is eating out at this point.  

I'm not a big fan of going out to eat (well, it's just not worth it in my mind) because I figure doing it on the reg is the best way to be fat and broke in no time.
(07-26-2015, 09:29 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm sure that they'll take your 10%, but if you work on a table for an hour and their bill ends up being 100 bucks, a 10 dollar tip is kind of a snub unless you're a shitty server.  If a server is taking care of your needs properly, which is their job, they deserve to be compensated for that in an appropriate manner.  If they don't, then feel free to give them a bit less.  I just don't see why anyone would punish them, and start tipping less for their company's decision to raise prices.

As a former server, I appreciated every tip I got, but I won't lie and say that I wasn't disappointed when I gave some damned good service and the people acted like the didn't appreciate me as well.  Really, not everyone deserves 15-20%, but if you get the service that's worth it, you should show the love.

At least you're tipping though.  Not tipping at all is just a d-bag move.

I can see your point, if a person's party dominated that particular server's entire hour, and they were held back from handling other tables.  However, if its just the wife and I, and we are quick with our order, ask for no extra "running", and leave no big mess behind, then $5 on a $50 ticket is fair in my eyes.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(07-26-2015, 09:29 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm sure that they'll take your 10%, but if you work on a table for an hour and their bill ends up being 100 bucks, a 10 dollar tip is kind of a snub unless you're a shitty server.

Maybe...on the other hand, other than having a few less tables, does such a waiter work harder than an IHOP waitress that is lucky to get 15% of a $20 bill?

I've always assumed better servers worked their way up to high-end restaurants because the tips are better.  But it's not like more work is involved in bringing a $500 bottle of wine vs. a $50 bottle - a $5 tip for that bottle of wine is more than fair in either case (without getting into the somelier, which is a different issue).

Most people who eat at expensive restaurants have more money and so don't have issue with the 15-20% on a higher bill.  If you worked 3 tables over 2 hours and each couple left you a $10 tip, then that's $15/hr just in tips and seems pretty reasonable.

Now, I don't think $3 for the IHOP server is somehow more fair than $10 to the server of my $100 meal.  I know it's been traditional and custom to leave 15%, but practically speaking just because you got steak instead of a salad you shouldn't be obligated to leave an extra $5 on your tip just because the steak costs so much more.  It's not like the server does extra work.
(07-26-2015, 10:20 PM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Maybe...on the other hand, other than having a few less tables, does such a waiter work harder than an IHOP waitress that is lucky to get 15% of a $20 bill?

I've always assumed better servers worked their way up to high-end restaurants because the tips are better.  But it's not like more work is involved in bringing a $500 bottle of wine vs. a $50 bottle - a $5 tip for that bottle of wine is more than fair in either case (without getting into the somelier, which is a different issue).

Most people who eat at expensive restaurants have more money and so don't have issue with the 15-20% on a higher bill.  If you worked 3 tables over 2 hours and each couple left you a $10 tip, then that's $15/hr just in tips and seems pretty reasonable.

Now, I don't think $3 for the IHOP server is somehow more fair than $10 to the server of my $100 meal.  I know it's been traditional and custom to leave 15%, but practically speaking just because you got steak instead of a salad you shouldn't be obligated to leave an extra $5 on your tip just because the steak costs so much more.  It's not like the server does extra work.

Oh, I didn't mean that only high end servers deserve good compensation for their time.  I've been out to eat at Bob Evans with my huge family recently and easily racked up a $100-$150 bill for the table.  We spent at least an hour there and she devoted a huge amount of time to us.  My dad tipped her really well, as we were thankful for the place to gather, the food, and the good service.  I just think that good work should be recognized no matter how upscale the restaraunt is.
LFG  

Some of the local places will add the gratuity automatically if there are a certain number or above guests at one table. Usually it's 10-15% and unless you know that you'd end up adding ANOTHER 15% on top of that. We always make sure its close to 20% even if we have to add to what they already charged.

At another place I meet some college friends from time to time and none of us drink alcohol but we might be at the table and shooting pool for 3-4 hours. So we over tip since the waitress could be making more on other patrons than the guys getting the free re-fills on their sodas! Smirk Its not uncommon for someone to get 100% tip after we've pooled out money together. But again the bill might only come to $40-$50 originally.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
I'm curious as to has actually served tables in any restaurant?  I didn't think a whole new thread was needed, because I'm more curious who has in this thread.  And what type of restaurant if so?
(07-26-2015, 07:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: You mean this?  Yea it was a flop circa 1996.

[Image: mcdonalds-arch-deluxe.jpg]

No this ...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/eustaciahuen/2015/07/26/mcdonalds-goes-fine-dining-for-one-night-in-tokyo/

And it was Japan not Korea. My bad.
(07-27-2015, 12:19 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I'm curious as to has actually served tables in any restaurant?  I didn't think a whole new thread was needed, because I'm more curious who has in this thread.  And what type of restaurant if so?

I have not ever been a waiter. But I have worked in full commission sales so I know what it's like to count on yourself. Otherwise in food service i had a summer job at Wendy's, bused tables at bob Evans, and tended bar as a fill in for a mate's place down here.
(07-27-2015, 12:29 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I have not ever been a waiter.   But I have worked in full commission sales so I know what it's like to count on yourself.   Otherwise in food service i had a summer job at Wendy's, bused tables at bob Evans, and tended bar as a fill in for a mate's place down here.

Were you tipped out as a busboy or bartender?  And what percentage do you tip your server and/or bartender when you dine out now?
(07-27-2015, 12:37 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Were you tipped out as a busboy or bartender?  And what percentage do you tip your server and/or bartender when you dine out now?

Yeah I got tipped some as a busboy. And also as a bartender. I always try and do 20% I also like to frequent places so I get used to the people. If I have a relationship with them then it's 20% or more depending who I am entertaining. Some places know when I am with clients and they take care of us really well. And for that I always take care of them.

I don't tip because of past jobs. I tip because I know what it's like to not get paid until the jobs done.
(07-27-2015, 12:19 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I'm curious as to has actually served tables in any restaurant?  I didn't think a whole new thread was needed, because I'm more curious who has in this thread.  And what type of restaurant if so?

I have been a server, a pizza delivery boy, and a bartender.  All at the same place...if I had the time, I'd deliver pizzas or bartend again just to hang out with my old friends there and make some extra cash.  Too bad I work at a job that requires me to go out of town with very little notice sometimes, or I'd do it.
LFG  

(07-27-2015, 12:50 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah I got tipped some as a busboy.   And also as a bartender.   I always try and do 20%  I also like to frequent places so I get used to the people.   If I have a relationship with them then it's 20% or more depending  who I am entertaining.   Some places know when I am with clients and they take care of us really well.  And for that I always take care of them.  

I don't tip because of past jobs.   I tip because I know what it's like to not get paid until the jobs done.
You should have been receiving tips from the servers as a busboy and bartender each shift, that's standard in the business. That is what I meant by "tipped out"

You tip well and I'm glad to hear it.  And you're smart to cultivate relationships with places you frequent and it's staff.
(07-26-2015, 07:45 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Wouldn't 50 of 10% tips be better than 10 of 15% tips?  

Seems volume would be better rather than %

I must admit this post confuses the shit out of me, considering we've established that you're a solid 20% tipper.