Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leftists panic over the possibility of having Thanksgiving with a Trump supporter
(11-14-2017, 04:25 PM)Benton Wrote: My son bought Would You Rather over the Spring. Gets old after a couple hours, but nice to dust off every couple months. 

Personally, I really don't like people. But I still like games, so I play a lot of Zombicide.

Oh, I don't really like people, either. This is why I utilize games for these interactions. They beat just sitting around talking with people you don't really like. LOL
(11-14-2017, 04:16 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: What is this "tv" you speak of?

I forgot.  You go to like an Amish Church.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(11-14-2017, 05:13 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I forgot.  You go to like an Amish Church.  

I probably would go Mennonite if not for a few issues I have with them. I don't think I could go buggy or black bumper, though.
(11-14-2017, 05:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I probably would go Mennonite if not for a few issues I have with them. I don't think I could go buggy or black bumper, though.

I always wondered about the arbitrary (or maybe it's not) halt on technology.  Somehow technology up until the 18th or 19th century is OK.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(11-14-2017, 05:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I always wondered about the arbitrary (or maybe it's not) halt on technology.  Somehow technology up until the 18th or 19th century is OK.  

Matt can correct me here as I'm probably wrong, but I think Mennonites share a history, and many beliefs, with Anabaptists, who thought the world was coming to an end in the 1500s. Which might explain why they're good with a hand saw but not hand cleaner... because the world already ended.
(11-14-2017, 05:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I always wondered about the arbitrary (or maybe it's not) halt on technology.  Somehow technology up until the 18th or 19th century is OK.  

(11-14-2017, 05:56 PM)Benton Wrote: Matt can correct me here as I'm probably wrong, but I think Mennonites share a history, and many beliefs, with Anabaptists, who thought the world was coming to an end in the 1500s. Which might explain why they're good with a hand saw but not hand cleaner... because the world already ended.

Yeah, definitely wrong. LOL

Anabaptists include the Amish, Mennonites, and German Baptist Brethren (or Dunkards, or Brethren, whatever you prefer). Anabaptist was just an intended derogatory name for these protestant groups that sprouted up and went with the believer's baptism rather than infant baptism. Now it typically is synonymous with the historic peace churches.

As for the reasoning, depends on who you ask. There is a code, unwritten, that is referred to as Ordnung. Side note, "Alles in Ordnung?" is a good way to ask if everything is in order/okay to a German. Anyway, these guidelines are used by the Old Order Mennonites and Amish to guide their lives. This varies from sect to sect as to how it is applied, which is why you will get variations like buggies and black bumpers. Some sects see electric lines being run to their community as a connection with the outside world, which is not allowed in the Ordnung. Things that promote behavior that could be one of the seven deadly sins is also prohibited. They also see anything that can negatively impact spiritual or family life as against Ordnung.

Each community really determines their Ordnung for themselves at meetings. I mean, there are groups that you would never know were a part of the Anabaptist traditions because their Ordnung has been so altered over the years. But the main thing to keep in mind that it isn't about cutting things off at a certain point, it's just because many of the technological advances we have seen over the past century or so have been about connecting us around the globe, and the die hards don't want that for their communities because they see it as a threat to their spiritual and familial well being.

I hope I did a good enough job explaining that. It's the first time I've ever had to really explain that to an Englishman. Ninja

Edit to add: getting me all nostalgic. I actually have to go back to my old family church on Saturday for my grandmother's funeral, so it was interesting thinking about all of this, again. Rather timely.
So it's connecting that is the difference. That makes more sense. I understand each community makes its own rules, but what about a generator?

(11-14-2017, 06:43 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So it's connecting that is the difference. That makes more sense. I understand each community makes its own rules, but what about a generator?

Some communities allow for that. Generators and battery power in some communities is fine, so long as it isn't grid electricity. I know of some with solar panels.
(11-14-2017, 06:18 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, definitely wrong. LOL

Anabaptists include the Amish, Mennonites, and German Baptist Brethren (or Dunkards, or Brethren, whatever you prefer). Anabaptist was just an intended derogatory name for these protestant groups that sprouted up and went with the believer's baptism rather than infant baptism. Now it typically is synonymous with the historic peace churches.

As for the reasoning, depends on who you ask. There is a code, unwritten, that is referred to as Ordnung. Side note, "Alles in Ordnung?" is a good way to ask if everything is in order/okay to a German. Anyway, these guidelines are used by the Old Order Mennonites and Amish to guide their lives. This varies from sect to sect as to how it is applied, which is why you will get variations like buggies and black bumpers. Some sects see electric lines being run to their community as a connection with the outside world, which is not allowed in the Ordnung. Things that promote behavior that could be one of the seven deadly sins is also prohibited. They also see anything that can negatively impact spiritual or family life as against Ordnung.

Each community really determines their Ordnung for themselves at meetings. I mean, there are groups that you would never know were a part of the Anabaptist traditions because their Ordnung has been so altered over the years. But the main thing to keep in mind that it isn't about cutting things off at a certain point, it's just because many of the technological advances we have seen over the past century or so have been about connecting us around the globe, and the die hards don't want that for their communities because they see it as a threat to their spiritual and familial well being.

I hope I did a good enough job explaining that. It's the first time I've ever had to really explain that to an Englishman. Ninja

Edit to add: getting me all nostalgic. I actually have to go back to my old family church on Saturday for my grandmother's funeral, so it was interesting thinking about all of this, again. Rather timely.

First: Condolences on your grandmother's passing.
Second: That's perhaps the most in depth — and at the same time clear as mud — explanation of me being wrong I've ever seen. Kudos!
(11-14-2017, 12:44 PM)GMDino Wrote: The day after graduating from college eight of us drove to Florida.  We stayed with one our friends grandparents.  His grandmother taught us 30 different card games that week!  But I've never heard of Egyptian Rat Screw!

We also play "aw s***".  

Nerds gone wild.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(11-14-2017, 12:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: This goes back to what I said in another thread about people who tiptoe around what they mean to say.

If someone thinks every transgender person has a mental illness they should be afraid to say it to a transgender or the family member of one.  Just say what you believe.  If they argue or disagree don't "gloss over" the response but engage in conversation and defend your statements.  

Like people who think "********" is ok as long as you don't say it to an "actually ******** person".  

Be a man.

Or just have conversations with people who agree with you*, whatever make you* feel better. 

*Universal "you"...not you specifically.  For clarity. 

Oh I still believe they have a mental illness. It’s a fact. But I will cut Matt a break and maybe not be as direct since he has a ***** cousin. That’s at least the common courtesy I can give him. I won’t believe as he does but I will allow him some space on the issue since he is the one who has to live with it in his life. I can discuss it as I always do without directly responding to him and Rubbing it in his face.
(11-14-2017, 03:01 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Euchre?
Jabberwocky?
Pitch?

my family likes Scrabble, my friends like Exploding Kittens.

I love Exploding Kittens. Just got the expansion.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-14-2017, 07:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nerds gone wild.

Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(11-14-2017, 07:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Oh I still believe they have a mental illness. It’s a fact.

It's a fact your beliefs are in direct opposition to the accepted medical standard DSM-V. But, it isn't a fact they have a mental disorder. Unlike compulsive lying, for example.

Quote:But I will cut Matt a break and maybe not be as direct since he has a ***** cousin. That’s at least the common courtesy I can give him. I won’t believe as he does but I will allow him some space on the issue since he is the one who has to live with it in his life. I can discuss it as I always do without directly responding to him and Rubbing it in his face.

Yeah, it takes a bigger man to do it passive aggressively like you just did.
(11-14-2017, 07:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Oh I still believe they have a mental illness. It’s a fact.

[Image: tenor.gif]
(11-14-2017, 07:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Nerds gone wild.

Not denying that one bit.   Cool

My roommate and his high school friend that we lived int he same bloc were heavy Star Trek fans.  Me and my other buddy were comic book collectors.  And we all loved professional wrestling and watching cartoons between 3-5 after class and before dinner.  None of us drank.  Well, I did on occasion but nowhere near the level of the partying people on our "dry" campus.

Back in the late 90-91 we all had computers too.  

Geeks more than nerds I suppose.

But we had fun.   Smirk
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-14-2017, 07:40 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Oh I still believe they have a mental illness.  It’s a fact.   But I will cut Matt a break and maybe not be as direct since he has a ***** cousin.   That’s at least the common courtesy I can give him.   I won’t believe as he does but I will allow him some space on the issue since he is the one who has to live with it in his life.    I can discuss it as I always do without directly responding to him and Rubbing it in his face.

To me that makes your opinion hollow then.

If you won't tell everyone that they have a mental disorder (because you believe it) then you either don't really believe it or you're to insecure in that belief to tell real people versus commenting on a message board.

I sound more like not wanting to discuss it with someone who has actual experience and information because it conflicts with a biased belief.
(11-14-2017, 07:01 PM)Benton Wrote: First: Condolences on your grandmother's passing.

Thank you.

(11-14-2017, 07:01 PM)Benton Wrote: Second: That's perhaps the most in depth — and at the same time clear as mud — explanation of me being wrong I've ever seen. Kudos!

Well, this is difficult. This isn't something that outsiders really get an explanation for. Most of the time if you ask an Amish or Old Order Mennonite "why?" they will respond with "because it isn't how we do things." I am just in a position where my father's family is from an area of Amish communities, my mother's family is from an area of Old Order Mennonites (which is also where I am now) and I grew up in a related church of the Schwarzenau Brethren/German Baptist Brethren/Dunkards. So I have kind of an outsider but pressing right up on the edge relationship with these communities (at least with those that know me). So these are things I have picked up along the way, but it's never really been explained.

Also, I realize that I used terms I am used to but may not be commonplace. Our Old Order Mennonites in the area can be split in several different ways. One is the dividing line between horse and buggy only and what we call black bumper. Black bumper means that they will often have a mini-van to go places, but the bumpers are painted a matte black color. This is primarily done when the bumpers were chromed on the vehicle, as a mirrored surface like that promotes vanity.
OK so is the difference between a car and a buggy,is maybe how far you can go? A buggy doesn't really connect you to the outside world as you don't have a very big radius you can reasonably travel?

Also Jesus did tell people to go forth and spread the word. How do they reconcile that with basically separating from the rest of the world?

And it's an outside possibility that I've gone a bit off topic here.

(11-15-2017, 10:17 AM)michaelsean Wrote: OK so is the difference between a car and a buggy,is maybe how far you can go?  A buggy doesn't really connect you to the outside world as you don't have a very big radius you can reasonably travel?

Also Jesus did tell people to go forth and spread the word.  How do they reconcile that with basically separating from the rest of the world?  

And it's an outside possibility that I've gone a bit off topic here.

In 12 years on the various Bengal board incarnations this thread's diversions into off-topic comments from the OP has been the one of the best I have ever seen.