Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Mass shootings
(02-28-2018, 06:11 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: There was a regulatory push in 1986 and 1988 with FOPA and the Undetectable Firearms Act.

So 5 or 6 years later?

Wasn't Reagan for regulations or was that just the Brady Bill he later supported?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-28-2018, 01:13 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No way we are cutting SS.

This is the richest country on earth. People will not stand for the old and disabled being put out on the streets. Especially when Wall Street is pocketing the money many of them saved for retirement.

Hey someone asked what I would cut. I just tossed something out.
(02-28-2018, 01:37 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Most people against SS do not paint those people as shiftless bums.  Their claim  either that the govt has no right to do it, or that it's going to collapse.  

(02-28-2018, 01:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I don't disagree there, but as soon as they actually end up on the street is when they'll be subject to all the ire we send towards today's garden variety bums.

Would you cut social security in exchange for Medicare for all and a strict immigration policy
(02-28-2018, 06:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: So 5 or 6 years later?

Wasn't Reagan for regulations or was that just the Brady Bill he later supported?

He actually proposed eliminating the BATF, if that tells you his views on gun control. It wasn't until he left office that he changed his tune.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(02-28-2018, 06:33 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: He actually proposed eliminating the BATF, if that tells you his views on gun control. It wasn't until he left office that he changed his tune.

Ah!  I knew he supported the Brady Bill...just didn't remember when.  And didn't feel like looking it up!  
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The gun law in the city of Chicago only banned handguns.
(02-28-2018, 05:28 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: So a teacher was taken into custody after barricading himself in a classroom and firing a gun

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-georgia-respond-shots-fired-high-school-53417347

Armed teachers going nuts?

Time to arm the students! Ninja
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(02-28-2018, 06:33 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Would you cut social security in exchange for Medicare for all and  a strict immigration policy

That is an interesting proposal. Change Medicare to a minimum public health care, housing and food option (i.e. safety net) and we could make a deal.
(02-28-2018, 05:42 PM)Vas Deferens Wrote: I doubt this has any effect on the 'lets arm the teachers' narrative.

I wish you well in you upcoming career change.  I wouldn't stick around either.

So this teacher was authorized to carry the gun at school? If the answer is no; then why would it have any effect on the 'lets arm the teachers' narrative.

Let's hope we can pass some legislation that will keep Pat employed. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-28-2018, 07:27 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Armed teachers going nuts?

Time to arm the students! Ninja

Obviously the gun free zone rule didn't work. But I don't think arming students is the answer. 

Perhaps a "we really mean it" gun free zone regulation would be effective.

(02-28-2018, 08:31 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Obviously the gun free zone rule didn't work. But I don't think arming students is the answer. 

Perhaps a "we really mean it" gun free zone regulation would be effective.

Maybe a sign that says, "If you carry on school property, we will shoot you!"

It could work as they could be stymied trying to figure out who the "we" is. Wink
(02-28-2018, 08:28 PM)bfine32 Wrote: So this teacher was authorized to carry the gun at school? If the answer is no; then why would it have any effect on the 'lets arm the teachers' narrative.

If he legally owns the gun, it's reasonable to assume he'd qualify as someone who could be armed in school, demonstrating the fact that adding more guns to schools can be dangerous and that people who are not professionally trained to handle fire arms in high stress situations cannot be expected to safely do so. 

Quote:Let's hope we can pass some legislation that will keep Pat employed. 

Pray thoughts and prayers 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(02-28-2018, 06:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: No.  I don't remember that at all.

A quick google search didn't show anything.  Maybe I missed the big gun grab since I was 12.  lol.

Not making a judgment just funny how things change with events. It was the concealability that was seen as the issue. Then people started mowing down others with rifles and now that’s the focus.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(02-28-2018, 10:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: If he legally owns the gun, it's reasonable to assume he'd qualify as someone who could be armed in school, demonstrating the fact that adding more guns to schools can be dangerous and that people who are not professionally trained to handle fire arms in high stress situations cannot be expected to safely do so. 

Whenever we start our argument out with "if" we start out in a hole.

The example provided does nothing more than show that "gun free" zones do not work; if folks choose not to follow. 

I should have advocated that any teacher that wishes to conceal carry should be trained.........hey, wait a minute.....

(02-28-2018, 10:33 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Pray thoughts and prayers 

Yeah, POTUS should suggest something other than thoughts and prayers..........hey, wait a minute.....

(02-28-2018, 10:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Whenever we start our argument out with "if" we start out in a hole.

I was qualifying my opinion as only being my opinion if he legally owned the gun. 

I think we can agree that anyone who illegally obtains a gun cannot be expected to be a good example for a proposal involving people who lawfully possess firearms. If he wasn't a legal gun owner, I would openly disagree with anyone trying to use this against the proposal to arm teachers.

Quote:The example provided does nothing more than show that "gun free" zones do not work; if folks choose not to follow. 

I don't follow that logic. 

Quote:I should have advocated that any teacher that wishes to conceal carry should be trained.........hey, wait a minute.....

I never suggested you didn't, I just gave my opinion on the fact that I think it's a mistake for someone not trained to handle a fire arm in a high stress situation to be expected to do so. I'm not sure how long that sort of training occurs in law enforcement or the military, but I imagine it would be quite a lengthy amount of time for a teacher to reach that degree of training. 

(02-28-2018, 10:50 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yeah, POTUS should suggest something other than thoughts and prayers..........hey, wait a minute.....

I'm open to thoughts and prayers from anyone, I wasn't soliciting them from just Trump. 

(02-28-2018, 11:12 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I'm open to thoughts and prayers from anyone, I wasn't soliciting them from just Trump. 

No doubt. I could tell your sincerity from the smiley thingy. 

(02-28-2018, 07:31 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: That is an interesting proposal. Change Medicare to a minimum public health care, housing and food option (i.e. safety net) and we could make a deal.

How about a mincome?

For no social security and strict immigration policy.
(02-28-2018, 11:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No doubt. I could tell your sincerity from the smiley thingy. 

I was hoping you'd elaborate on the gun free zone statement rather than trying to prove that my pretty openly facetious comment wasn't sincere.