Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Starbucks Racist?
(04-20-2018, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was trying to give you an out, but why do so many white people try to deny racism exists,
Couldn't tell you as I'm not one of them.
(04-20-2018, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: why do so many white people try to deny racism exists, or claim it "is not that common"

Because "common" is relative and if you were to ask, many would say that they don't see a lot of racism, hence why they don't see it as common.
(04-20-2018, 04:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I was trying to give you an out, but why do so many white people try to deny racism exists, or claim it "is not that common", or make up facts that prove "they did something to deserve it"?

I would guess for the same reason people make up facts in a debate/discussion.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Gotta say this one blows my mind.

"Bathrooms are for paying customers only" is as straight forward as it gets. There is no racism in it. Buy something and you get to use free toilet paper and running water and soap. Hell in starbucks you even get free wifi.

I havent paid much attention to this. If you walk in and ask to use the bathroom. They say it is for paying customers only. You disregard and proceed to use the bathroom and then sit down and take a seat from a potential paying customer.... You suck gtfo
(04-20-2018, 04:27 PM)PhilHos Wrote: False. White people have been indeed victims of racism. Sure, it pales in comparison to people of color, but to say they have "never" been victims of it is disingenuous, at best.

(04-20-2018, 04:54 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Because "common" is relative and if you were to ask, many would say that they don't see a lot of racism, hence why they don't see it as common.

Thanks for proving my point.  You don't think there is a lot of racism because you don't see a lot of racism.  But since the amount you see pales in comparison to the amount black people see that explains why you don't think it is as common as it really is.

Since you don't see it as much you do not think it exists as much.
(04-20-2018, 05:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Thanks for proving my point.  You don't think there is a lot of racism because you don't see a lot of racism.  But since the amount you see pales in comparison to the amount black people see that explains why you don't think it is as common as it really is.

No, it doesn't. Just because something happens more often than something else doesn't make the latter commonplace. If I see more pine trees around town than any other tree doesn't mean trees are commonplace (they aren't, BTW).

(04-20-2018, 05:24 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Since you don't see it as much you do not think it exists as much.

And? Do you routinely think things are commonplace when the evidence suggests otherwise?
(04-20-2018, 04:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Gotta say this one blows my mind.

"Bathrooms are for paying customers only" is as straight forward as it gets. There is no racism in it. Buy something and you get to use free toilet paper and running water and soap. Hell in starbucks you even get free wifi.

I havent paid much attention to this. If you walk in and ask to use the bathroom. They say it is for paying customers only. You disregard and proceed to use the bathroom and then sit down and take a seat from a potential paying customer.... You suck gtfo

I will say that a couple on the left in this thread are approaching this situation differently than I would have expected and it is great to see. 

The whole premise is ironic. At its root we are saying Starbucks is racist because they give more free stuff (facilities) to white folk than they do black folk. Remember when racism involved being denied service? Now folks are spinning this case as racist because Starbucks wanted to serve them.  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-20-2018, 06:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: And? Do you routinely think things are commonplace when the evidence suggests otherwise?

What evidence?  Only what I see with my own two eye?

That is your problem.  You believe racism does not exist because you do not see it.  But the fact is that you don't see it is because you are white.

You are in such deep denial you made up facts about these black guys making inappropriate comments because you are so convinced that it is impossible for a nice white person to do anything racist.
(04-20-2018, 06:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: If I see more pine trees around town than any other tree doesn't mean trees are commonplace (they aren't, BTW).

And if you never see a rape that means rape never happens, right?
(04-20-2018, 04:59 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Gotta say this one blows my mind.

Another great example of a white guy who has no idea what he is talking about but just makes up facts to make the blacks guys look bad.

Hint.  If you have not paid any attention to this you probably shouldn't be making comments that show how little you know.

Apparently all you know is that a white person would never do anything racist.
(04-20-2018, 06:15 PM)bfine32 Wrote:  Now folks are spinning this case as racist because Starbucks wanted to serve them.  

Link?

I have not heard on person say that Starbucks is racist because they wanted to serve these black guys.  Where the hell did you come up with something this crazy?

People are claiming that Starbucks (well at least this one particular one) was racists because they made the black guys leave when they would not have done the same to white people.
(04-20-2018, 06:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Link?

I have not heard on person say that Starbucks is racist because they wanted to serve these black guys.  Where the hell did you come up with something this crazy?

Hell there's a link in the OP. Starbucks wanted to serve them their products and the men refused so they were asked to leave.  If Starbucks would just have ignored them and not offered to serve them then Starbucks would not be considered racist right? Or is it a damn if you do, damn if you don't scenario? 

(04-20-2018, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hell there's a link in the OP. Starbucks wanted to serve them their products and the men refused so they were asked to leave.  If Starbucks would just have ignored them and not offered to serve them then Starbucks would not be considered racist right? Or is it a damn if you do, damn if you don't scenario? 

Wow.  You are completely clueless about this whole thing.

If Starbucks had ignored them and not asked them to leave then NO ONE would be claiming Starbucks was racist.  So how are they "damned" if they do that?
(04-20-2018, 06:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Wow.  You are completely clueless about this whole thing.

If Starbucks had ignored them and not asked them to leave then NO ONE would be claiming Starbucks was racist.  So how are they "damned" if they do that?

2 funny

(04-20-2018, 06:46 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Another great example of a white guy who has no idea what he is talking about but just makes up facts to make the blacks guys look bad.

Hint.  If you have not paid any attention to this you probably shouldn't be making comments that show how little you know.

Apparently all you know is that a white person would never do anything racist.

Yep. Im white as shit. And have been told bathrooms are for paying customers only. 

I didnt say i white person couldnt do something racist.

A little bit of common decency on both sides would have gone a long way. But somehow there was none. I dont go into starbucks. But i assume if you want to sit around and use their internet you have to be a customer. The corner store by my house used to have a rule. No more than 2 juveniles allowed in at a time. Was that racist? About as racist as "bathrooms are for paying customers".

If you want to go take a shit somewhere and sit around without buying anything go to walmart.

If you want to go use a private business as your personal meeting space. Freaking buy something and be a customer.

Do you think the cops have ever been called on a white guy for not leaving a business when asked to?

Was the lady who called the cops in apparently 3 nanoseconds racist? Maybe. Would the cops have been called if in response to "the bathroom is for paying customers" the men bought something? Hell the f no.
(04-20-2018, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What evidence?  Only what I see with my own two eye?

That is your problem.  You believe racism does not exist because you do not see it.  But the fact is that you don't see it is because you are white.

Please show me where I EVER said racism does not exist. 

(04-20-2018, 06:39 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You are in such deep denial you made up facts about these black guys making inappropriate comments because you are so convinced that it is impossible for a nice white person to do anything racist.

I never made up facts about these black guys. You are either lying or are too stupid to comprehend basic English. You can guess where my money lies.  ThumbsUp

When you have to lie to try to prove a point, you could at least do a better job of lying.
(04-23-2018, 02:37 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I never made up facts about these black guys. You are either lying or are too stupid to comprehend basic English. You can guess where my money lies.  ThumbsUp

(04-19-2018, 05:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote:  At hearing this, they probably made some snide comment which was probably taken by the employee(s) as attitude (or they responded with an attitude) 

There is no evidence at all they responded with any snide remarks or attitude, yet this is what you believe happened.

If you didn't make that up about the attitude and snide comments then where did it come from?
(04-23-2018, 03:38 PM)fredtoast Wrote:   

There is no evidence at all they responded with any snide remarks or attitude, yet this is what you believe happened.

If you didn't make that up about the attitude and snide comments then where did it come from?

Oh, looks like I was wrong. You weren't lying; you were just too stupid to understand basic English.

Here's the WHOLE paragraph (emphasis added):
(04-19-2018, 05:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Until other information comes out that says otherwise, my thought is that these guys came in - and not in a disruptive manner - and sat down. They were asked for an order for which they refused. They were probably told to either buy something or they need to leave. At hearing this, they probably made some snide comment which was probably taken by the employee(s) as attitude (or they responded with an attitude) at which point they were probably asked to leave. They probably thought this wasn't serious and continued to wait and instead of giving them another warning or two, the employee probably just called the police. 

See, paragraphs are a group of sentences that go together because they share some kind of commonality: usually a common thought. Taking one of those sentences mid-paragraph and extracting it as if it's NOT part of a paragraph takes away the context. In this case, without the context, one would miss the fact that I'm sharing my OPINION of what happened.

Apparently, even WITH the context, it seems one missed the fact that I'm sharing my opinion. 
(04-20-2018, 06:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And if you never see a rape that means rape never happens, right?

Allow me to reiterate my request: please show me where I've ever said racism doesn't exist.

Thanks.
(04-20-2018, 10:05 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: I didnt say i white person couldnt do something racist.

Doesn't matter if you did. Fred has no qualms about making shit up arguing against things you never said. Personally, I think he does it because he knows he doesn't have an argument so he makes up some nonsense that you supposedly said so that he can argue against it to show that he was right all along.
(04-23-2018, 04:01 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Apparently, even WITH the context, it seems one missed the fact that I'm sharing my opinion. 

I did not miss anything.

You based your opinion on a fact pattern that you made up.  You claim it was what "made the most sense" to you, yet it was based on stuff you just made up in your head.

And, as usual, what makes sense to you is that the white person could not have been racist.  It had to be about the black guys being "snide" and having "attitude".  But unfortunately there is absolutely nothing to back up your position other then your strong beliefe that the black guys had to be at fault because the white person could not be racist.
(04-23-2018, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I did not miss anything.

Yes, you did. You clearly missed I was giving my OPINION of what happened. Why else would you claim I was making up "facts" about what happened?

(04-23-2018, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You based your opinion on a fact pattern that you made up.  You claim it was what "made the most sense" to you, yet it was based on stuff you just made up in your head.

Exactly. That's usually how opinions on situations where all the data isn't known usually work. 

(04-23-2018, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And, as usual, what makes sense to you is that the white person could not have been racist. 

False. I really wish you would READ what I actually wrote and stop making shit up.

(04-23-2018, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  It had to be about the black guys being "snide" and having "attitude". 

Again, read what I actually wrote. I said it was probably about a snide comment but it was also about the employee taking it as having an attitude. Basically, my opinion - if you'd actually read it and not make up shit - is that I think BOTH parties are PROBABLY at fault. 

(04-23-2018, 04:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But unfortunately there is absolutely nothing to back up your position other then your strong beliefe that the black guys had to be at fault because the white person could not be racist.

How can I base my opinion on my belief that the black guys had to be at fault when I'm basically saying that I believe BOTH parties were at fault? 

This is what happens when you don't read what someone writes AND you decided to just make shit up.