Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings
(09-27-2018, 11:55 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No we all knew that was the excuse.  What we are supposed to believe is that she thought an anonymous letter would be enough to stop the confirmation.  

Or that she thought it would be enough for Congress to formally request some more checking into his background.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-27-2018, 12:57 PM)Benton Wrote: Or that she thought it would be enough for Congress to formally request some more checking into his background.

No just to use it to consider his serious misconduct. I think it would be a bad precedent if someone could make anonymous accusations that result in new FBI investigations for a SC nominee.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-27-2018, 01:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No just to use it to consider his serious misconduct.   I think it would be a bad precedent if someone could make anonymous accusations that result in new FBI investigations for a SC nominee.

Why?

I would think the first thing the FBI would do would be find out who made the accusation and start there.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-27-2018, 01:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: Why?

I would think the first thing the FBI would do would be find out who made the accusation and start there.

Because there are 100,000,000 plus people capable of making anonymous accusations?  How exactly would you investigate this if you didn't know who she was?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-27-2018, 01:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Because there are 100,000,000 plus people capable of making anonymous accusations?  How exactly would you investigate this if you didn't know who she was?

The first thing you do is found out who she is?
(09-27-2018, 01:48 PM)GMDino Wrote: The first thing you do is found out who she is?

Well then she's not anonymous.  She thought she could remain anonymous.   I should say that's what her stated reason was.

(09-27-2018, 01:14 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No just to use it to consider his serious misconduct.   I think it would be a bad precedent if someone could make anonymous accusations that result in new FBI investigations for a SC nominee.

Anonymous to Congress I'm fine with. The FBI is different, of course. 
(09-27-2018, 01:51 PM)Benton Wrote: Anonymous to Congress I'm fine with. The FBI is different, of course. 

She thought the letter would stand by itself.  That it would cause them to consider his misdeeds.  I think that's a rather ridiculous thought.

(09-27-2018, 01:51 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Well then she's not anonymous.  She thought she could remain anonymous.   

And that's generally why people don't come forward. Sexual assaults don't get reported like other crimes because the first thing you have to do is tell strangers about something very personal. The second thing is you generally get accused of making it up.
(09-27-2018, 01:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: She thought the letter would stand by itself.  That it would cause them to consider his misdeeds.  I think that's a rather ridiculous thought.

Did she say that? I just assumed she thought it would encourage them to look into his past, with the hope of finding someone else with a similar story so she could stay out if it.
(09-27-2018, 01:54 PM)Benton Wrote: And that's generally why people don't come forward. Sexual assaults don't get reported like other crimes because the first thing you have to do is tell strangers about something very personal. The second thing is you generally get accused of making it up.

What I'm doubting is that she really believed she could remain anonymous and have an impact.  Why would she send the letter and request it not be shared?

(09-27-2018, 01:56 PM)michaelsean Wrote: What I'm doubting is that she really believed she could remain anonymous and have an impact.  Why would she send the letter and request it not be shared?

Maybe she thought that her story, though anonymous, would encourage others that more willing to be open to come forward. Maybe she thought an investigation initiated off of this would find information other than her own story.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-27-2018, 01:56 PM)Benton Wrote: Did she say that? I just assumed she thought it would encourage them to look into his past, with the hope of finding someone else with a similar story so she could stay out if it.

I'll just share the testimony so that I don't mess it up.

Quote:My hope was that providing the information confidentially would be sufficient to allow the Senate to consider Mr. Kavanaugh's serious misconduct without having to make myself, my family, or anyone's family vulnerable to the personal attacks and invasions of privacy we have faced since my name became public. In a letter on August 31, 2018, Senator Feinstein wrote that she would not share the letter without my consent.

(09-27-2018, 01:56 PM)Benton Wrote: Did she say that? I just assumed she thought it would encourage them to look into his past, with the hope of finding someone else with a similar story so she could stay out if it.

(09-27-2018, 02:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Maybe she thought that her story, though anonymous, would encourage others that more willing to be open to come forward. Maybe she thought an investigation initiated off of this would find information other than her own story.

I watching her testify and give her more credit than the 2 of you. This is one very bright woman. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Wasn't there a woman on the short list? I think it's time to nominate her. I thought everyone thought she was the front runner anyway.

Out of curiosity, does anyone remember what conclusion the FBI arrived at with Anita Hill?

Edit: Never mind. Found it. Looks like it was inconclusive.

(09-27-2018, 02:03 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Wasn't there a woman on the short list?  I think it's time to nominate her.  I thought everyone thought she was the front runner anyway.

I believe there was a woman who was way more conservative too... I think a lot of the talk with Kavanaugh was his sudden rise on the depth chart was due to the fact that he holds a very strong opinion regarding Presidents and investigations that Trump liked. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-27-2018, 02:16 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I believe there was a woman who was way more conservative too... I think a lot of the talk with Kavanaugh was his sudden rise on the depth chart was due to the fact that he holds a very strong opinion regarding Presidents and investigations that Trump liked. 

OK.  Well it's time to cut bait on this one if you don't want to run the risk of facing a Dem Senate.  Just too much of a mess.  

(09-27-2018, 02:18 PM)michaelsean Wrote: OK.  Well it's time to cut bait on this one if you don't want to run the risk of facing a Dem Senate.  Just too much of a mess.  

Agree.  100%.
(09-27-2018, 02:07 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Out of curiosity, does anyone remember what conclusion the FBI arrived at with Anita Hill?

Edit:  Never mind.  Found it.  Looks like it was inconclusive.

Yea, that was also just an allegation of workplace sexual harassment via inappropriate comments, not assault, so very different ballpark in terms of the FBI looking into it and the criminality of it. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]