Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The search appears over for HC
I know this may sound insensitive to those who support bill as the offensive coordinator but my thinking is if they were going to hire a new offensive coordinator would they not have let Bill lazor and other coaching staff know that they were let go right now? It would seem the right thing to do so that they could possibly land another job.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 07:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know this may sound insensitive to those who support bill as the offensive coordinator but my thinking is if they were going to hire a new offensive coordinator would they not have let Bill lazor and other coaching staff know that they were let go right now?  It would seem the right thing to do so that they could possibly land another job.

One thing that you can count on about the Bengals Management, they do their best to act diplomatically and treat their people with dignity.  I'd say that any "lettings go" would be kept typically quiet, with no announcements prior to the complete unveiling of what they intend.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Nailed it

(01-09-2019, 02:26 PM)Okeana Wrote: Who they choose will tell us everything we need to know about this team. In house is just a continuation of status quo without Marvin Lewis and External is a change in culture.
Reply/Quote
All I know is I'm waiting to be kicked in the sack again....
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 07:38 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I know this may sound insensitive to those who support bill as the offensive coordinator but my thinking is if they were going to hire a new offensive coordinator would they not have let Bill lazor and other coaching staff know that they were let go right now?  It would seem the right thing to do so that they could possibly land another job.

If it involved potentially losing money because the coach was under contract probably not. Not until it is official. Im sure the Mcdaniels BS from last year caught their attention.

Im sure if anybody would ask for permission to interview they would be allowed.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 06:26 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Just saw that on Twitter. Very good news.

Still leaves an unnecessary risk of it being Hue or Lazor lol
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
I heard something on NFLN about the Jets "Showing interest in the Bengals OC".

But then that's as far as it went.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 05:46 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I would say Vance had a great head on his shoulders also, he handled adversity well with Denver.. never read much that he lost the locker room, had success as a DC coach and other positions also in his time.  Taylor has been a QB Coach only in the NFL for 6 years, ventured as OC for Bearcats and that did not go so well.. so I really don;t see a big qualified mark next to his name.

I am not saying not hire him but what I am saying is Joseph is qualified to hire also as a Head Coach even if he is not your choice

I wouldn't, he made some rather questionable decisions in critical situations as HC.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

If the guy they have locked in on is Taylor, Weldron, or Bienemy, they can't sign a contract until after their team has been eliminated from the playoffs.  The Chiefs and Rams are both legitimate SB contenders, and assistant staff options may be well picked over by the time they can make a HC hire.  Retaining the current staff until the hire is made gives the new coach more options.  

Also keep in mind that these guys aren't really being screwed by the Bengals due to the fact that coaching contracts are fully guaranteed.  They will get a check from the Bengals next year either way.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 08:42 PM)Whatever Wrote: If the guy they have locked in on is Taylor, Waldron, or Bienemy, they can't sign a contract until after their team has been eliminated from the playoffs.  The Chiefs and Rams are both legitimate SB contenders, and assistant staff options may be well picked over by the time they can make a HC hire. 

Which is another reason why Monken would have been a good hire at this point.   I'm disappointed.   Monken had good credentials.  And I know it's not a decisive thing, but how often has Fitzy made a public endorsement of a coach?

Totally emotional thinking I admit.   I just don't know enough about Taylor and Waldren.  But Taylor did nothing in Cincincinnati and was not even the OC in LA.   A lot to like with Bieniemy but his long list of behavior issues is disturbing.

I want to have faith in Tobin and company.  But the brain trust has not been making a lot of good decisions lately.

I have a familiar ache in my stomach.

I like the process I see in Greenbay and Denver.  Did their due diligence, but knew what they wanted and did not dawdle and make an ill advised decision.

I just have so little confidence in this front office.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 02:48 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: My hope is that it will be Eric Bieniemy.

My fear is that it will be Hue Jackson, Bill Lazor or Darrin Simmons.

My expectation is it will be Vance Joseph.

#2 would be a huge FU from Mikey Brown to the fans.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 08:42 PM)Wyche Wrote: I wouldn't, he made some rather questionable decisions in critical situations as HC.

Im sure he did like other head coaches do, he also kept his team together in difficult times plus played 2 seasons given a unproven quarterbacks and little help at WR
Reply/Quote
Given the recent news and continued silence, I’m starting to think that Cincinnati is targeting Bienemy or Taylor and simply can’t announce them yet.

That’s what I’m hoping. Please MB, don’t crush me.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 08:54 PM)3wt Wrote: Which is another reason why Monken would have been a good hire at this point.   I'm disappointed.   Monken had good credentials.  And I know it's not a decisive thing, but how often has Fitzy made a public endorsement of a coach?

Totally emotional thinking I admit.   I just don't know enough about Taylor and Waldren.  But Taylor did nothing in Cincincinnati and was not even the OC in LA.   A lot to like with Bieniemy but his long list of behavior issues is disturbing.

I want to have faith in Tobin and company.  But the brain trust has not been making a lot of good decisions lately.

I like the process I see in Greenbay and Denver.  Did their due diligence, but knew what they wanted and did not dawdle and make an ill advised decision.

I see the opposit in Green Bay I feel they really went for an over reach   Almost feel like they said Rogers you're the head coach we're gonna get a nobody as the head coach. Denver perplexed me too, horrible on offense strong on def, they go defense for head coach. Hmm
Reply/Quote
I'd go Taylor I think. Really none of the coaching options we have are slam dunks, but I'd go with a young guy and hope that he knew how to bring college talent in and then I'd try to sign a couple of the Rams free agent lineman like their Tackle Havenstein who rated as the #3 T by PFF.

They took Whitworth. We take Havenstein.

I'd be happy with Bienemy too. Although, at 49 it's not like he's some young kid.
Reply/Quote
Funny so many people posted that we need a thorough search so we have one and now everybody is going up in arms why we haven't hired a head coach. I believe we had the move external and internal interviews out of the teams
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:21 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Funny so many people posted that we need a thorough search so we have one and now everybody is going up in arms why we haven't hired a head coach. I believe we had the move external and internal interviews out of the teams

Yes. As long as they are giving outside candidates fair consideration, I'm happy.

One negative of waiting on hiring a coach is our coaches scout...so that could mess our draft up if we have to wait until after the SB to hire them.

Plus, they could back out I suppose.

I'm thinking that Taylor or Bienemy is the guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 09:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd go Taylor I think. Really none of the coaching options we have are slam dunks, but I'd go with a young guy and hope that he knew how to bring college talent in and then I'd try to sign a couple of the Rams free agent lineman like their Tackle Havenstein who rated as the #3 T by PFF.

They took Whitworth. We take Havenstein.

I'd be happy with Bienemy too. Although, at 49 it's not like he's some young kid.

Havenstein signed a 4 year 32.5 million extention through 2022 with the Rams.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Bieniemy HC, Monken OC, Vance DC.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 08:54 PM)3wt Wrote: Which is another reason why Monken would have been a good hire at this point.   I'm disappointed.   Monken had good credentials.  And I know it's not a decisive thing, but how often has Fitzy made a public endorsement of a coach?

Denver would be in the same boat we are if the Bears' K hadn't choked.  They would have had to wait or go with their next best option.

I personally wanted them to go with a proven winner, but that's just not the direction they chose.  Unfortunately for us, guys like John Harbaugh and Pete Carroll who were on the hot seat turned things around and saved their jobs.  The only real option for that route turned out to be McCarthy, and some question if he is just a mediocre coach with a HoF QB.  Hue is a proven loser.  Vance Joseph seems like he would be Marvin 2.0 with a decent QB, good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to be a serious contender unless he had a pair of great assistants.

Most of the fanbase wanted a young, offensive mind, and that appears to be what we're going to get.  Young also means unproven.  Monken appears to have the best resume.  Bienemy would be the big fan favorite pick that would move the most tickets.  Based on what McVay said, Taylor probably did great with his interview.  Any one of those guys, along with Waldron, Simmons, and Lazor is a complete crap shoot.  I can't really judge any of them until I see what they do.
Reply/Quote