Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Billy Price traded-sorry jumped the gun
(03-24-2020, 01:37 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: why wouldn't this be a thread???

Paul Dehner covers the Bengals and even he threw out the notion.
And, supposedly Price has already been a player the Bengals have been trying to shop.
So, this may seem like a perfect scenerio for that.
He's not the starter at Center; and, we can all see that he's best suited at Center as opposed to either Guard position.
The Bengals are looking for draft picks so here's an opportunity.

I'd personally rather have Price than a 7th/6th round pick. The guy has talent it just has not shown in the NFL so far. It sounds like he's doing well this offseason so I'd rather see one more year of him myself.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm going to have to trust the Bengals on this one. If they think he can turn it around and become a starter at guard, you keep him. If they think he's only backup material, trade him for a pick. Is a 7th worth it for a backup when it does nothing for the cap? Dallas doesn't have a 6th, but have a compensatory 5th. That's what I'd aim for.
Reply/Quote
I've been hugely disappointed in Price. That said, he obviously has been playing injured most of his career here. I'd like to see him play healthy for awhile. And while I wouldn't be against trading him, I'd have to have more than a 6th or 7th rd pick.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 08:59 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Dallas ain’t going after an unproven Price. Mike Brown don’t own the Cowboys. They would try their chances in the draft before risking anything on Billy.

The smart thing for Dallas would be offer a 6th for Price and draft a C and let them compete. Not sure that's worthwhile from the Bengals' perspective though.

**Just checked and Dallas don't have a 6th. They do have the last pick on the 5th round.**
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 07:40 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: That's a dumb trade anyway. Trading Price still costs us 3.3 million in cap space and doesn't take any money off the books.

We lose depth on the inside (albeit, likely bad depth) and won't see any benefit until next off season (conditional pick implies it is based on his 2020 performance)

I'd rather we keep Price and see if he does anything in his third year than trade him for 2021 peanuts. If we're going to trade him, it needs to be in the 2020 draft and needs to be higher than a 6th round pick, to compensate for the cost of his contract.

That likely won't be offered, so we have no reason to trade him (or cut him).

Agreed.....This would be selling a stock that we bought really high for bottom dollar.  Remember that Whit didn't start at LT and had his share of issues until he was 27.  Not saying Price will become Whit, but if his struggles were due in part to injuries that he wanted to fight through, he should be given more time.  
Reply/Quote
Let's give the Cowboys Price and find a way to convince them to take Dalton. :)
Reply/Quote
If I sat here all day, I still wouldn't be able to muster up one ounce of sympathy for the Cowgirls. That aside, how much would it suck to lose the best C in the game? It hasn't exactly been a stellar off season for them. I'm sure the Eagles are jumping up and down over this.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
It seems pretty clear that the current staff does not necessarily feel too married to any player here before they got here.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
Wasn’t price starting to play fairly good at guard down the stretch last year? Maybe the light bulb finally came on or he got fully healthy. I’d give him one more year to prove it.

If the coaches aren’t sold on him then take what you can and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 10:15 AM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Wasn’t price starting to play fairly good at guard down the stretch last year? Maybe the light bulb finally came on or he got fully healthy. I’d give him one more year to prove it.

If the coaches aren’t sold on him then take what you can and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really, no.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2020, 11:06 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And we needed a Center terribly bad, no one could see him playing this bad after his tape IMO.

I watched Price just doze D-lineman at OSU and he is very smart. Thought he could be a very good Center or Guard in the NFL.

Just goes to show you that players never end up like you think they would.

Still hoping he can turn it around.

Yep and Price still was not going to be their pick if Ragnow had not gone a pick earlier.
Reply/Quote
someone who knows football better than me please comment.

I see al the statements on Price having short arms.

But when I watched him, his reaction time seemed to be incredibly slow. Defenders just blowing by him.

I not an expert but he looks like one of the worse lineman we have ever had and that is saying something.

The center we all dumped on who went to the Bills seemed to me to be a better than Price- and my memory of him was him getting picked up and literally thrown into Andy's face by the bigger nose tackles.

I don't know how they could miss so badly on Price and the two tackles we took in the same year. Truly three major setbacks.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 12:19 PM)bengals67 Wrote: someone who knows football better than me please comment.

I see al the statements on Price having short arms.

But when I watched him, his reaction time seemed to be incredibly slow. Defenders just blowing by him.

I not an expert but he looks like one of the worse lineman we have ever had and that is saying something.

The center we all dumped on who went to the Bills seemed to me to be a better than Price- and my memory of him was him getting picked up and literally thrown into Andy's face by the bigger nose tackles.

I don't know how they could miss so badly on Price and the two tackles we took in the same year. Truly three major setbacks.

Price has said in interviews that OSU runs a simple offense and he's had trouble learning the Bengals offense.  Guys who aren't sure of their assignments tend to play tentatively and look slow on the field. 

He had a lot of other issues coming out of college.  His technique is absolutely atrocious and scouts were concerned about fixing it due to his bad habits being ingrained in his muscle memory for too long.  He's also apparently a difficult personality to deal with, so there were concerns about how coachable he is.

He had great power in college, but that's basically it.  To use a baseball term, he's a one tool player.  Now he's in the NFL against guys with years in NFL weight rooms and he can't just overpower guys anymore.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 12:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: Price has said in interviews that OSU runs a simple offense and he's had trouble learning the Bengals offense.  Guys who aren't sure of their assignments tend to play tentatively and look slow on the field. 

He had a lot of other issues coming out of college.  His technique is absolutely atrocious and scouts were concerned about fixing it due to his bad habits being ingrained in his muscle memory for too long.  He's also apparently a difficult personality to deal with, so there were concerns about how coachable he is.

He had great power in college, but that's basically it.  To use a baseball term, he's a one tool player.  Now he's in the NFL against guys with years in NFL weight rooms and he can't just overpower guys anymore.
Didn't know about the difficult  personality issue.   Does that mean he's a doosh or a weird bird?

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 01:30 PM)McC Wrote: Didn't know about the difficult  personality issue.   Does that mean he's a doosh or a weird bird?

"Can be a challenging personality to deal with according to scouts"is the blurb from his combine profile.  Hard to say what the actual rub is, but when scouts are saying he's tough to deal with and the guy has lousey technique, it seems like he's a guy that just doesn't want to listen.  That's speculation, though.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 02:29 PM)Whatever Wrote: "Can be a challenging personality to deal with according to scouts"is the blurb from his combine profile.  Hard to say what the actual rub is, but when scouts are saying he's tough to deal with and the guy has lousey technique, it seems like he's a guy that just doesn't want to listen.  That's speculation, though.

Got it.  Thanks.  This is the type of guy that ends up going home early and finding their life's work at an extremely young age.  The NFL's attitude is you can be a dick if you can play.  If you're a dick who can't play, you're gonna end up in real estate.

Reply/Quote
I'm confused, did we or didn't we trade Billy Price?
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2020, 12:48 PM)Whatever Wrote: Price has said in interviews that OSU runs a simple offense and he's had trouble learning the Bengals offense.  Guys who aren't sure of their assignments tend to play tentatively and look slow on the field. 

Thank you so much for this great response! What a great explanation of the Price disaster. 

But it again begs the question- why in the world did we waste a first round pick on this guy?  ( similarly, why did we waste a 2 on Sample, why did we take Ross, etc.)

Our drafts since the two tackle debacle have just been terrible besides lucking out of Mixon.

Hopefully the free agent activity this year is an indication that Bengal management will take their head out of the sand. However this turns out they did the kind of stuff we all have been asking for in fee agency this year. Gives me some hope.
Reply/Quote
How hard can it be to learn an NFL offense, especially after two years? And, how do we somehow manage to draft the DUMBEST players ever on a somewhat consistent basis? Still, I'd like to see a healthy Price to see if maybe that was the real problem all along. I wouldn't take less than a 4th unless a player trade was involved.
Reply/Quote
He was either really hurt or really bad last year. Either way he didn’t look like an NFL G. We have a C. MJ is also a C. So we have a backup.

I was on board the Price hype train when we drafted him. I got off. Sometimes it’s best for player and team for a fresh start. I think he could turn it around. But not here as a G and backup C.

I’m all about quality OL depth. And I’m usually all about giving a guy time to prove his worth. But I am more than willing to move on from another busted OL pick from the Marvin era. If we can get a late round pick do it. It may be just what we need to add a crucial depth piece late in the draft or to use as ammo and trade up for that LB.

Cowboys would be a damn good chance for him to turn his career around blocking for the other Buckeye that carries that team.
Reply/Quote