Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Coronavirus
(03-30-2020, 07:09 PM)6andcounting Wrote: They put a qualifier on their Chinese propaganda. Stunning and brave.

They said no more and no less than they should have. So I'd describe that as "accurate" and not misleading.

Just curious--what do you think the WHO should have tweeted?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-30-2020, 07:09 PM)6andcounting Wrote: They put a qualifier on their Chinese propaganda. Stunning and brave.

Let me quote comedian John Oliver on Twitter . . .

“Twitter is not where you go for facts; it’s where you go to see the official account of New Jersey tweet ‘gabagool,’ or Post Malone tweet ‘is meatball an fruit,’ or see Henry Winkler posting photos of him holding fish,” the comedian continued.

Public health officials don’t make policy decisions based upon tweets.
(03-30-2020, 07:14 PM)6andcounting Wrote: If they had evidence it can be spread person-to-person and didn't put it out there so that countries can make their own decision about preparing for the worst, I would say they screwed up. 

Do you have any indication that they did possess such evidence at the time?

You sure act like you have. So what is it.
(03-30-2020, 03:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: This is responding to you and to Dill. When I say those hypotheticals are pointless, it is pointing out that paying that game right now isn't helpful. Pointing out the failures of this administration, like the firing of the person we had in China, the disbanding of the pandemic response team, the claims this was a hoax, etc., is fine. But what good does looking at hypotheticals of a Democratic administration really do? Trump ****** up. Point it out every minute of every hour of every day. I just don't see a good reason to discuss "what if Hillary..."

I am kind of in opposition to that once more. Yeah, it isn't "helpful", but honestly, there's not much directly helpful stuff anyone could say at this point anyway. Don't touch your face, wash your hands, avoid meeting other people... that is "helpful" in a direct way. But I figure everyone knows that by now.

In an indirect way, I find the most helpful thing is to learn for the future. By pointing out that a ratings-driven, intellectually overwhelmed, narcissistic leader comes with severe downsides in times like those (and always, but it's harder to neglect in those times). I think that is fair to say - and that other presidents would not acted in that manner is a logical extention of that.

Because, it's not that much of a hypothetical. Hillary would have handled it differently, or Obama, or several Republicans for that matter. Or any earnest, reasonable people. Including you and me.

(03-30-2020, 03:34 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: On a side note, my governor just issued a stay at home order but fishing is still allowed. So if you'll excuse me...

Hope you caught something nice. I LOVE fish. In their dinner-plate state, that is.
Anybody else see the Mypillow CEO give Trump a BJ during the White House pandemic briefing? It almost does make me want to start reading the Bible.
(03-31-2020, 03:45 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Anybody else see the Mypillow CEO give Trump a BJ during the White House pandemic briefing? It almost does make me want to start reading the Bible.

You will be disappointed, it's a boring book.

God is a terrible writer.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

(03-31-2020, 03:45 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Anybody else see the Mypillow CEO give Trump a BJ during the White House pandemic briefing? It almost does make me want to start reading the Bible.

Everyone dies at the end.  Mellow

I have stopped watching the rallies press conferences because Trump does not need to be there in the role he has chosen for himself.  If they insist on doing daily information dumps do that and go away.  The longer he stand there the more chance that he'll be asked to answer a question that he doesn't want to and he'll be an ass.

Also, I wonder who in the WH had the guts to tell him he was dead wrong about the population of Seoul?   Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
So the whackos are now filming the outside of hospitals to prove(?) that this isn't as bad as the media is saying.   Mellow

https://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/why-are-right-wing-activist-filming-their-local-hospitals-look-to-todd-starnes/

We really need to stop with the "both sides" argument.
Once again, **** this administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/desperate-for-medical-equipment-states-encounter-a-beleaguered-national-stockpile/2020/03/28/1f4f9a0a-6f82-11ea-aa80-c2470c6b2034_story.html

Quote:The federal cache has been overwhelmed by urgent requests for masks, respirators, goggles, gloves and gowns in the two months since the first U.S. case of covid-19 was confirmed. Many state officials say they do not understand the standards that determine how much they will receive.

Anecdotally, there are wide differences, and they do not appear to follow discernible political or geographic lines. Democratic-leaning Massachusetts, which has had a serious outbreak in Boston, has received 17 percent of the protective gear it requested, according to state leaders. Maine requested a half-million N95 specialized protective masks and received 25,558 — about 5 percent of what it sought. The shipment delivered to Colorado — 49,000 N95 masks, 115,000 surgical masks and other supplies — would be “enough for only one full day of statewide operations,” Rep. Scott R. Tipton (R-Colo.) told the White House in a letter several days ago.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency inherited control of the stockpile barely a week ago from HHS. Lizzie Litzow, a FEMA spokeswoman, acknowledged the agency maintains a spreadsheet tracking each state’s request and shipments. Litzow declined repeated requests to release the details, saying the numbers are in flux.

Florida has been an exception in its dealings with the stockpile: The state submitted a request on March 11 for 430,000 surgical masks, 180,000 N95 respirators, 82,000 face shields and 238,000 gloves, among other supplies — and received a shipment with everything three days later, according to figures from the state’s Division of Emergency Management. It received an identical shipment on March 23, according to the division, and is awaiting a third.

“The governor has spoken to the president daily, and the entire congressional delegation has been working as one for the betterment of the state of Florida,” said Jared Moskowitz, the emergency management division’s director. “We are leaving no stone unturned.”

President Trump repeatedly has warned states not to complain about how much they are receiving, including Friday during a White House briefing, where he advised Vice President Pence not to call governors who are critical of the administration’s response. “I want them to be appreciative,” he said.

Coincidental that Florida is a pivotal state in 2020? Doubtful.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(03-31-2020, 09:29 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Coincidental that Florida is a pivotal state in 2020? Doubtful.

According to a July 2019 article I just read....19.1 percent of Florida's population is age 65 or older.  They have 3 of the top 5 oldest counties in the country.  
(03-31-2020, 10:25 AM)Goalpost Wrote: According to a July 2019 article I just read....19.1 percent of Florida's population is age 65 or older.  They have 3 of the top 5 oldest counties in the country.  

And?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/31/coronavirus-larry-hogan-says-trumps-claims-testing-not-true/5093609002/

Quote:'That's just not true.' GOP Gov. Hogan contradicts Trump claim that testing problems are fixed

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, a Republican, said Tuesday on NPR's Morning Edition that President Donald Trump was incorrect in saying coronavirus testing problems had been resolved.

"Yeah, that's just not true. I mean I know that they've taken some steps to create new tests, but they're not actually produced and distributed out to the states." Hogan said, when host Rachel Martin asked him about 
Trump's assertions. "No state has enough testing." 

In a coronavirus task force briefing Monday, Trump said America's coronavirus testing was better "than any country in the world." 

"We have done more tests, by far, than any country in the world, by far. Our testing is also better than any country in the world," Trump said on Monday. 

The president also said over a million Americans had been tested for the coronavirus, though on a per capita basis, the country lags behind other developed countries. 

Asked about testing on CNN's "New Day" on Tuesday morning, Hogan said states were "flying blind" without access to enough tests. 

"Without the tests we really are flying blind, we're sort of guessing about where the outbreaks are and about what the infection rate and the hospitalization rates are," Hogan said.

As hospitals fill with coronavirus patients, protective equipment and ventilators become "as important as testing," he added.

Quote:[Image: 3e4b894dadcbb5a4c0e9403da8d85861_normal.jpeg]
[/url]John Berman

@JohnBerman

JUST NOW: "Without the tests we really are flying blind, we're sort of guessing about where the outbreaks are and about what the infection rate in the hospitalization rates are."

MD Gov @LarryHogan on continued plea from state for more tests.@NewDay

[Image: lQJjd8MIomhVuKwA?format=jpg&name=small]

8:25 AM - Mar 31, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

50 people are talking about this

[url=https://twitter.com/JohnBerman/status/1244964097986347011]

The Maryland Republican, who also chairs the National Governors Association, said he was listening to the "smart team" in the White House like coronavirus task force leader Deborah Birx and director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Anthony Fauci who were giving accurate information. 

Want to talk more about politics?:Join our Facebook group: ‘Across the Aisle, Across the Nation.’

Hogan, who issued a statewide stay-at-home order on Monday, had a grim outlook for states' pandemic preparedness.

"There's nobody in America that's prepared," he said. 
So Trump said this:

"How do you go from 10-to-20-to-300,000...even though this is different. Something’s going on, and you ought to look into it, as reporters. Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door?
I want the people in New York to check—Governor Cuomo, Mayor de Blasio—that when a hospital that's getting 10,000 masks goes to 300,000 masks during the same period, people should check that because there's something going on. I don't think it's hoarding, I think it's maybe worse than hoarding, but check it out. Check it out. I don't know, I don't know. I think that's for other people to figure out."

--- now to my question, did he really just publicly accuse hospital staff of stealing masks?

What a sorry, sinister soul.
(03-31-2020, 12:48 PM)hollodero Wrote: So Trump said this:

"How do you go from 10-to-20-to-300,000...even though this is different. Something’s going on, and you ought to look into it, as reporters. Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door?
I want the people in New York to check—Governor Cuomo, Mayor de Blasio—that when a hospital that's getting 10,000 masks goes to 300,000 masks during the same period, people should check that because there's something going on. I don't think it's hoarding, I think it's maybe worse than hoarding, but check it out. Check it out. I don't know, I don't know. I think that's for other people to figure out."

--- now to my question, did he really just publicly accuse hospital staff of stealing masks?

What a sorry, sinister soul.

Selling or stealing.

He has no soul.  Nor brains.
(03-31-2020, 12:51 PM)GMDino Wrote: Selling or stealing.

He has no soul.  Nor brains.

I'm wondering, does implying health care workers around the country are stealing masks go under uniting the country, or under great crisis management, or is it just MAGA?

PS I still find it quite relevant to point out that hardly any other president would behave in this manner. Trump obviously needs an atmosphere of constant suspicion against all kinds of people. What a sad world that creates.
(03-31-2020, 01:00 PM)hollodero Wrote: I'm wondering, does implying health care workers around the country are stealing masks go under uniting the country, or under great crisis management, or is it just MAGA?

PS I still find it quite relevant to point out that hardly any other president would behave in this manner. Trump obviously needs an atmosphere of constant suspicion against all kinds of people. What a sad world that creates.

As I told some people at work, a thief always thinks someone is stealing from him.

He's a crook...always has been.  So he's convinced everyone is a crook too because that's all he can imagine.

He's a worthless human being...always has been.
(03-31-2020, 01:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: As I told some people at work, a thief always thinks someone is stealing from him.

He's a crook...always has been.  So he's convinced everyone is a crook too because that's all he can imagine.

He's a worthless human being...always has been.

He's definitely one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever observed.  Like zero worth as a person, body should be burned in a dumpster with the ashes poured into an open sewer drain when he dies kind of piece of shit.  He has zero loyalty to anyone but himself. One minute a person is is ally, the next he shits on them. He'll align himself with a person he called worthless within a week. He's the perfect example of everything you hope your kid will never grow up to be.

He's the worst kind of combination of traits.  He's dumb as a fencepost, he's mean as hell, and he gained a fortune without earning it, allowing him to get by being a stupid asshole for his entire malignant existence.  I'm thankful that he aborted 8 of his potential offspring (allegedly of course, lol), but wish he'd have been decisive enough to get the another 3 or so done right, too (Although it would appear that there was an attempt with Eric, with the body surviving after sustaining significant brain damage).  

The world will be better off when his line is wiped from the planet.
(03-31-2020, 01:15 PM)GMDino Wrote: As I told some people at work, a thief always thinks someone is stealing from him.

A simple, but probably quite accurate assumption. Amazingly.

"Projection" always was a concept that seemed too plain for me to be a valid and holistic explanation for human behaviour. But with Trump, it seems that's all there is to some things. And with his most vivid supporters.
How one can watch FOX all day just to reach the conclusion that the "left MSM" is owned by one party and agenda-driven - or how easily they are offended while calling others mentally ill and snowflakes... you're quite right. So much projection. Or how everyone lies all the time and is capable of all kinds of shady things. Some recently even claimed the democratic party reveres Pelosi like in a cult. One can't make that stuff up.

Ha, and in that sense I might also get why Trump supporters so easily accuse others of seeing them as deplorables. Projecting one's self-perception. (Not generally, but getting duped every day by one's hero cannot come without some kind of secret sense of being a sucker.)

Sorry for deviating a bit, but this just captured me for a moment.

@topic once more, broadly accusing hospital staff - those that risk their health and work tirelessly to fight the virus - of stealing masks on a grand scale is an incredible low. And if any politician did that here, most followers would branch off in disgust. It would be one more scandal.
[Image: EUTURKOXsAAxacz?format=jpg&name=small]
1 dead every 3 minutes in NYC of Coronavirus.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.