Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3.6 Average
***Official 2020 NFL Draft Thread***
(04-24-2020, 02:24 AM)Kingslayer Wrote: Fair enough but if you want to replace AJ, trade him now, draft his replacement now. This is the draft to do it

Then you have no true #1. It’s just Boyd, Ross, Tate, and a rookie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Btw to drive home how impressive what Burrow just did in the SEC, 15 of the 1st round picks came from the SEC...

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 02:22 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: You definitely don’t have to. Remember, they just took Jonah Williams last year in the 1st. I’d understand it if they do go OL at 33, but I honestly think WR or LB would be good picks there, too.

The O line needed more than a healthy left tackle last year.  What about the rest of the line?  The team is still counting on guys like Bobby Hart to protect the QB and to open up holes for the RBs.  Also, we dont even know if Williams is any good or not as he didnt play a snap in a single game.  He could be a bust like Price and that's not counting the fact Williams is also coming off a surgery which adds even more question marks.  The Bengals O line is bad and has been since around the time Whitworth left.  You cant just draft one guy like Williams and think that fixes the entire O line.  The troubles are and have been more than just one lineman.  
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 02:58 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: The O line needed more than a healthy left tackle last year.  What about the rest of the line?  The team is still counting on guys like Bobby Hart to protect the QB and to open up holes for the RBs.  Also, we dont even know if Williams is any good or not as he didnt play a snap in a single game.  He could be a bust like Price and that's not counting the fact Williams is also coming off a surgery which adds even more question marks. The Bengals O line is bad and has been since around the time Whitworth left.  You cant just draft one guy like Williams and think that fixes the entire O line.  The troubles are and have been more than just one lineman.  

So is their defense. Particularly the LBers. Which I’d argue is the weakest position group on the team tbh. Germaine Pratt is our best one ffs. The OL at least has the best OT in last year’s draft, a good center in Hopkins, and a serviceable OG in XSF who at least filled in on the best OL in the league in Dallas. Jordan and Johnson are question marks but the former was improving over the course of the season, and latter was solid in his couple starts. Hart is the weak link, but for whatever reason the team loves him.

Our depth at WR is also a problem. If AJ or Ross (or both) get injured Joe Burrow has one reliable WR in Boyd. You can have 5 All Pros on the OL but if we’re counting on Alex Erickson to help win games it’s probably not going to go very well...

Reply/Quote
(04-23-2020, 09:41 PM)Bronxbengal Wrote: But OSU wasn’t smart enough to realize how good Burrow was.  

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neither was Joe at the time.  

When we secured the first pick I started reading about Joe. The thing that really struck me about him is that his meteoric rise was a product of adversity. More succinctly put, his response to adversity. He had bad luck with an injury at OSU and was beaten out by a really outstanding quarterback. He responds by seeking out a new opportunity and becoming an absolute student of the game. He literally licked his wounds, got up, and literally conquered the college football world. I am going to get excited every time this kid throws a pick. I might even get excited when he loses a game because he takes it personally and goes to work on improving himself. That is the "it" factor and he has "it" in spades.
As gifted as he was physically, Carson lacked this. Joe is what we thought we had in Carson. 

Absolutely he has to learn the pro game and will struggle in his first year, but this kid can be something special. 
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 02:47 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Btw to drive home how impressive what Burrow just did in the SEC, 15 of the 1st round picks came from the SEC...

Weren't about half of them his team-mates though?
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 09:27 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: Weren't about half of them his team-mates though?

Let’s see, Chaisson, Queen, Jefferson, and CEH. So 4.

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 10:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Let’s see, Chaisson, Queen, Jefferson, and CEH. So 4.

And the man himself, so he didn't play against a third of the SEC draftees.

(Except in practice when he apparently lit up Chaisson, Queen plus Fulton, Delpit, Phillips etc - did you see the stuff about the defense trying to figure out if they were bad or if Burrow was really that great, before concluding it had to be that Burrow actually really was that good?)
Reply/Quote
Jones, Cleveland, Mims, or Baun. Give me one of those and i'll be ok.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 10:47 AM)TJHoushmandzadehs Shiny Shoes Wrote: And the man himself, so he didn't play against a third of the SEC draftees.

(Except in practice when he apparently lit up Chaisson, Queen plus Fulton, Delpit, Phillips etc - did you see the stuff about the defense trying to figure out if they were bad or if Burrow was really that great, before concluding it had to be that Burrow actually really was that good?)

Ok, even 10 other SEC players in the 1st is impressive. What was the next highest? Big 10 with like 4?

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 03:49 AM)Cicero Wrote: Neither was Joe at the time.  

When we secured the first pick I started reading about Joe. The thing that really struck me about him is that his meteoric rise was a product of adversity. More succinctly put, his response to adversity. He had bad luck with an injury at OSU and was beaten out by a really outstanding quarterback. He responds by seeking out a new opportunity and becoming an absolute student of the game. He literally licked his wounds, got up, and literally conquered the college football world. I am going to get excited every time this kid throws a pick. I might even get excited when he loses a game because he takes it personally and goes to work on improving himself. That is the "it" factor and he has "it" in spades.
As gifted as he was physically, Carson lacked this. Joe is what we thought we had in Carson. 

Absolutely he has to learn the pro game and will struggle in his first year, but this kid can be something special. 

Exact and well put!
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 02:40 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Then you have no true #1. It’s just Boyd, Ross, Tate, and a rookie.

If you draft a WR and throw him in with Green, Boyd, Ross and Tate, someone isn't getting any snaps.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 12:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If you draft a WR and throw him in with Green, Boyd, Ross and Tate, someone isn't getting any snaps.

You can ease him in. And let’s be honest, what are the chances both Ross and AJ stay healthy?

Are you saying you don’t want a WR at all? I’m fine with going OT or LB in the 2nd, but I think it would crazy to not grab at least one WR in the best class in 20 years. Take Pittman in the 3rd if he’s there at least. Plus it’s not like you draft for only one year. Our 2nd round pick from last year certainly didn’t contribute much his rookie season.

Reply/Quote
[Image: 41-photos-10.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=600]

Reply/Quote
[Image: 41-photos-17.jpg?quality=85&strip=info&w=600]

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 10:47 AM)TJHoushmandzadeh Wrote: And the man himself, so he didn't play against a third of the SEC draftees.

Well, then you can probably throw in the guys in the SEC that will be first rounders on defense next year as well.

Dylan Moses for one and I'm sure there will be more.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
Am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious how the Dolphins are pretending it was Tua they wanted all along and the windbags are falling right in line with it?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-24-2020, 06:14 PM)McC Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks it's hilarious how the Dolphins are pretending it was Tua they wanted all along and the windbags are falling right in line with it?

It will eventually leak out what Miami offered for Burrow.  I hope so anyway
Reply/Quote

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote