Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 4.29 Average
Coronavirus Information...who do you trust?
[Image: 117360520_3282921285100186_9000491412825...e=5F53BB24]
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 02:26 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I don't know what Mer says, I was merely agreeing with the silencing of opinions different from ones own.

I do know there are "experts" that say masks aren't that useful. Don't know the qualifications of these experts anymore than the ones that say masks are useful. I wear a mask at work because we require it and I wear one into stores because they require it. 

There are also people that claim the earth is flat and that two plus two equals three.

It is not a shame that such opinions usually get "silenced". Because they are wrong. In case of the pandemic and alternative theories about the pandemic, they are dangerously wrong. Breech does an admirable job to explain why over and over again, and he earns the reaction of "oh yeah? Well I guess you lean liberal, right? So no way I even consider anything you say!"
It is akin to jumping from a building because a liberal claimed that gravity is real.

Regarding the usefulness of masks, there is a ton of empirical data about their usefulness from the tiny place outside the US called the rest of the world. No western country is ravaged like the US is right now. And there's no magic behind it, it's also not because we are oppressed or because our economies are less important, it's just listening to experts and showing some responsibility, discipline and common sense. That's it.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 05:20 AM)hollodero Wrote: There are also people that claim the earth is flat and that two plus two equals three.

It is not a shame that such opinions usually get "silenced". Because they are wrong. In case of the pandemic and alternative theories about the pandemic, they are dangerously wrong. Breech does an admirable job to explain why over and over again, and he earns the reaction of "oh yeah? Well I guess you lean liberal, right? So no way I even consider anything you say!"
It is akin to jumping from a building because a liberal claimed that gravity is real.

Regarding the usefulness of masks, there is a ton of empirical data about their usefulness from the tiny place outside the US called the rest of the world. No western country is ravaged like the US is right now. And there's no magic behind it, it's also not because we are oppressed or because our economies are less important, it's just listening to experts and showing some responsibility, discipline and common sense. That's it.

100%

[Image: 117315708-10223141190502169-8638961794563453611-o.jpg]

The problem being that the internet allows people to get "facts" without understand what truth is or where the "facts" come from.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 02:26 AM)CarolinaBengalFanGuy Wrote: I don't know what Mer says, I was merely agreeing with the silencing of opinions different from ones own.

I do know there are "experts" that say masks aren't that useful. Don't know the qualifications of these experts anymore than the ones that say masks are useful. I wear a mask at work because we require it and I wear one into stores because they require it. 

If you go to your doctor's office or the hospital now, you will be required to wear a mask.  Why do you think that is?

The answer to the question about are masks effective is; yes and no.  People use that to sow confusion.  Masks are tools and you use the right tool for the right job.  Same as you would with a hammer and a screwdriver.  Hammers are used to drive nails, screwdrivers not so much.  While you might be able to half ass drive a nail with a screwdriver if you don't have a hammer; driving nails is not a screwdriver's intended purpose.  So it is with the different types of masks.

We wear N95 masks to reduce our chance of getting infected.  We wear surgical/procedure masks or cloth face coverings to reduce the chance of infecting others.  The latter is not going to protect you from getting infected the same as a N95 mask, but that isn't why they are recommended for the general public during this pandemic.  This is what people try to use to create confusion.  So back to my analogy, a N95 mask is a hammer and a cloth face covering is a screwdriver.  They are two different tools used for two different purposes. Does that make sense?

There is evidence that wearing cloth face covering or masks helps prevent the spread of disease despite some people's false claims that we don't know if it works.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 09:48 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: If you go to your doctor's office or the hospital now, you will be required to wear a mask.  Why do you think that is?

The answer to the question about are masks effective is; yes and no.  People use that to sow confusion.  Masks are tools and you use the right tool for the right job.  Same as you would with a hammer and a screwdriver.  Hammers are used to drive nails, screwdrivers not so much.  While you might be able to half ass drive a nail with a screwdriver if you don't have a hammer; driving nails is not a screwdriver's intended purpose.  So it is with the different types of masks.

We wear N95 masks to reduce our chance of getting infected.  We wear surgical/procedure masks or cloth face coverings to reduce the chance of infecting others.  The latter is not going to protect you from getting infected the same as a N95 mask, but that isn't why they are recommended for the general public during this pandemic.  This is what people try to use to create confusion.  So back to my analogy, a N95 mask is a hammer and a cloth face covering is a screwdriver.  They are two different tools used for two different purposes. Does that make sense?

There is evidence that wearing cloth face covering or masks helps prevent the spread of disease despite some people's false claims that we don't know if it works.

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/417906/still-confused-about-masks-heres-science-behind-how-face-masks-prevent

Can I yell at people wearing the N95 mask because it doesn’t really prevent the spread to other people? LOL
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 10:27 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Can I yell at people wearing the N95 mask because it doesn’t really prevent the spread to other people? LOL

You can yell at anybody you want, but N95s work for source control, also.

http://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

Back to my hammer and screwdriver analogy, a N95 is like one of these . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Way-Tools-6-In-1-Screwdriver/dp/B000BQM0E2

Multi-functional.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 12:09 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You can yell at anybody you want, but N95s work for source control, also.

http://files.fast.ai/papers/masks_lit_review.pdf

Back to my hammer and screwdriver analogy, a N95 is like one of these . . .

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Way-Tools-6-In-1-Screwdriver/dp/B000BQM0E2

Multi-functional.

I’m not great at reading something like that but I only saw N95 discussed as PPE.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 12:55 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m not great at reading something like that but I only saw N95 discussed as PPE.

There's a lot of info plus you're probably not as interested in it as me.  But, page 2, section 3 . . .

Quote:Masks can also be used for source control, which refers to blocking droplets ejected by the wearer, as well as PPE.

Also, last paragraph in section 3

Quote:In summary, there is laboratory-based evidence that household masks have some filtration capacity in the relevant droplet size range, as well some efficacy in blocking droplets and particles from the wearer. That is, these masks help people keep their droplets to themselves.

That's why people should cover their face in a nutshell.  It is a pretty simple message. But, we have done a horrible job of communicating that to the public.
Reply/Quote
rut-roh . . .

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/barrow-county-georgia-schools-will-move-to-online-learning-after-90-staff-had-to-quarantine-due-to-covid-19/ar-BB17Hgrb?ocid=ientp

Self-isolation due to Covid exposures cause school staff shortages preventing traditional classes and school hasn't started yet.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 05:44 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: rut-roh . . .

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/barrow-county-georgia-schools-will-move-to-online-learning-after-90-staff-had-to-quarantine-due-to-covid-19/ar-BB17Hgrb?ocid=ientp

Self-isolation due to Covid exposures cause school staff shortages preventing traditional classes and school hasn't started yet.

School is the biggest liberal bs hoax since covid.  Good riddance.  Get those kids back on the farm and doing real work. 
Reply/Quote
It's disappointing that the GOP isn't taking this seriously and are only concerned about the election. McConnell waited until last week to submit a plan after the House sent him theirs in May.

Now we're going to get some half assed executive order so that they can say that only Trump is doing something.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 08:49 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: It's disappointing that the GOP isn't taking this seriously and are only concerned about the election. McConnell waited until last week to submit a plan after the House sent him theirs in May.

Now we're going to get some half assed executive order so that they can say that only Trump is doing something.

I'm starting to believe that the GOP is trying to set up so the next round of stimulus checks comes out closer to the election to boost Trump as America's Savior.  There's no other good reason other than they just don't care.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(08-08-2020, 09:43 AM)GMDino Wrote: I'm starting to believe that the GOP is trying to set up so the next round of stimulus checks comes out closer to the election to boost Trump as America's Savior.  There's no other good reason other than they just don't care.

I mean that’s exactly the plan.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-06-2020, 07:35 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: So, a couple of notable things, recently. The Trump campaign had their Twitter account banned and Facebook removed content from Trump's page for sharing a video that made a false claim related to COVID-19: https://www.bbc.com/news/election-us-2020-53673797

Now, there are doubtless those that will claim this is bias, but Trump made an objectively false claim in that interview, and spreading that disinformation is both harmful and against the community guidelines on both of those sites.

The other thing is something Virginia did that is a first in the country. Virginia Department of Health released an app, yesterday, called COVIDWISE. https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/08/05/899414953/virginia-unveils-app-to-aid-contact-tracing

Developed from both Apple and Google, it utilizes Bluetooth to store data about devices that you come in contact with and for how long. Then, if a person tests positive for COVID they can enter that positive test in the app using a special key, then every phone with the app that was in contact with them in the two-weeks prior are notified that they could have been in contact with someone and what to do next. It doesn't use GPS services, doesn't know who you are. It all work anonymously because all that is important is contact with other users. It is also completely voluntary, but if use could help tremendously in contact tracing.

We are using a similar app here in Australia but haven't had a huge amount of success with it.
Reply/Quote
(08-07-2020, 07:18 PM)Nately120 Wrote: School is the biggest liberal bs hoax since covid.  Good riddance.  Get those kids back on the farm and doing real work. 

Well I mean it is conservatives who are actually trying to get the kids back in school.  Where's those charts showing two people wearing masks are protected from a nuclear explosion or whatever?  The last six months cannot have been good for the kids.  

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 10:12 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Well I mean it is conservatives who are actually trying to get the kids back in school.  Where's those charts showing two people wearing masks are protected from a nuclear explosion or whatever?  The last six months cannot have been good for the kids.  

Everything neo-cons do is apparently "for the family/children" I must admit I'm getting somewhat suspicious. Getting kids back in school would seem more noble if these weren't the same people who equated education with counterproductive liberal indoctrination. You can't talk up the value of the family unit and then complain that kids are going to be lost if they don't get their daily dose of liberal bs from a bunch of over-paid lazy liars.

Well, can you? Sure, your kids might bring home a virus but they aren't in school learning that Columbus was a monster and that slavery was wrong! Think of the children!
Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 10:15 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Everything neo-cons do is apparently "for the family/children" I must admit I'm getting somewhat suspicious. Getting kids back in school would seem more noble if these weren't the same people who equated education with counterproductive liberal indoctrination.  You can't talk up the value of the family unit and then complain that kids are going to be lost if they don't get their daily dose of liberal bs from a bunch of over-paid lazy liars.

Well, can you?

I can.  Everything is compartmentalized.  It's genius.

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 10:23 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I can.  Everything is compartmentalized.  It's genius.

They could always say that the solution to this is for father to work harder and make enough money that they can support the family on one income and then mother can educate the children in the home.  Make America "Little House on the Prairie" Again!
Reply/Quote
(07-13-2020, 08:47 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: My wife, who has been super cautious, woke me up on the 4th and said she found a place in WV that was doing social distancing tubing. Ok sure, let's do it.

We get there and... yea...

No distancing whatsoever. Employees have masks, but no one else does and they are not asking anyone to wear them. There's an old pool with disinfectant for them to clean the life jackets, that's it. Buses jammed pack. They're telling people to all gather in this cramped room to watch a safety video. They drive you to a river and there's just hundreds of people along the river, packed on top of each other.

In MD they're allowing 50% capacity at restaurants and some places with big parking lots have converted them into outdoor seating... but it's still cramped and no one wears a mask. 

We went to a small town on the bay to walk around for our anniversary yesterday and no one was wearing the masks outside. We were on the Eastern Shore, so it's more conservative. Here in Baltimore, people are pretty strict with their masks. 

All those places and yet you're still alive. Shocker!
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2 Timothy 1:7

Reply/Quote
(08-10-2020, 10:27 AM)Nately120 Wrote: They could always say that the solution to this is for father to work harder and make enough money that they can support the family on one income and then mother can educate the children in the home.  Make America "Little House on the Prairie" Again!

OK someone already forgot Miss Beadle.  

Reply/Quote