Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
TV viewership down 13% NFL Debut
(09-15-2020, 11:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I asked a few pages back: Wonder if it has anything to do with the Network:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/09/15/nfl-week-1-tv-ratings-mixed-brady-brees-soars-cowboys-rams-flops/5808939002/

Anybody wanna guess how ESPN did on Monday Night? 

Gee, I wonder what the ratings would look like if the Bucs vs. Saints had been Sunday night on NBC and the Boys vs. Rams had been Sunday afternoon on Fox?

I’m guessing you think the ratings would be unchanged based upon the network airing the games rather than the actual games themselves?

I didn’t watch the Sunday night game because I was watched the Bengals game I recorded earlier. How do the ratings account for that?
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 02:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I went to a catholic school so it was years of prayers and pledge and Jesus this and jerhico that.  Oh and then I went to college where my feeble mind was apparently indoctrinated for the first time.  

Honest question:  Would you trade your catholic school education for public education?  Do you think it made you a worse person for having been brought up to pledge allegiance to God and country?

I'm 41 now, but by the time I am 80 (if I live that long) we will all see the multigenerational long term effects of no longer indoctrinating the youth to the notion that it is right to be loyal to your country. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:25 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I asked a few pages back: Wonder if it has anything to do with the Network:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2020/09/15/nfl-week-1-tv-ratings-mixed-brady-brees-soars-cowboys-rams-flops/5808939002/

Anybody wanna guess how ESPN did on Monday Night? 

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/monday-night-football-tv-ratings-222053223.html

Quote:The Pittsburgh Steelers’ win over the New York Giants drew 10.8 million viewers, down 17% from last year....
The late game between the Tennessee Titans and Denver Broncos fell 27% from last year’s late game

Of course folks could have just been watching games they recorded on Sunday. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:08 AM)bfine32 Wrote: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/monday-night-football-tv-ratings-222053223.html

Of course folks could have just been watching games they recorded on Sunday. 

MNF is on its 4th line up of announcers in as many years and has seen its ratings decline for the last half decade beginning before Kaepernick even thought of taking a knee.

But, yeah, folks wanna blame SJWs.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 01:57 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: MNF is on its 4th line up of announcers in as many years and has seen its ratings decline for the last half decade beginning before Kaepernick even thought of taking a knee.

But, yeah, folks wanna blame SJWs.

MNF has been averaging like half the audience as SNF for years. 

MNF had 20 years of declining ratings by the time it moved from ABC to ESPN in 2005, with a big problem being guys my age were not watching. Moving to cable certainly hasn't helped it with my demographic, especially when so many of us don't have cable. It was roughly at the same level last season as 2015, but still only a fraction of what SNF gets.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 07:26 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I certainly understand what you are saying.  We have different viewpoints on some of it, but that's ok.  :)

Here is a link to School choice...........I have no idea if this site is left, right or somewhere in between.
https://www.edchoice.org/school-choice/what-is-school-choice/

It's an interesting concept. However, I am hesitant about a system that, essentially, allows money to be taken out of the budget of public schools that are already struggling financially, especially in poorer neighborhoods. Even with a tax credit or voucher, a poor child probably is not able to go to a charter school or a private school, which means they would still go to the same public school that they are going to now, except now the parents of the children who were already going to private and charter schools are extracting their tax dollars from the system, leaving the public school an even worse option than it was before.

I was more thinking something along the lines of removing the neighborhood dividing lines for how property tax is distributed to schools. This would help even out the value of education across a city or maybe county. 

Of course that's just a starting point. I'm sure there are issues with that and it would need to be developed more. But the ultimate goal, in an ideal world, is that rich children and poor children get functionally equivalent educations. That being one of high value and potential economic mobility.
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 06:45 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don’t know if it’s even legal for the networks to deny them. I think the rates they can charge are set do they could probably make more by refusing them. I’m not sure about all that though.

I got a bit off my original point anyways.  The point is that people who don't want the NFL getting political are getting bombarded with political sensationalism commercials 2 seconds after kickoff anyways. 
Reply/Quote
(09-15-2020, 11:48 PM)Von Cichlid Wrote: Honest question:  Would you trade your catholic school education for public education?  Do you think it made you a worse person for having been brought up to pledge allegiance to God and country?

I'm 41 now, but by the time I am 80 (if I live that long) we will all see the multigenerational long term effects of no longer indoctrinating the youth to the notion that it is right to be loyal to your country. 

I've done Catholic and public school and went to a lutheran college and a mostly Jewish grad school.  I don't think much of that mattered, plus public schools hammer the pledge, too.

Anyways, a country, religion, brand or person should be able to earn praise and loyalty without being drilled into people's heads. Indoctrination being required and so heavily leaned upon doesn't strike me as being particularly positive. 

It reminds me of sitting at those teen youth rallies where we were told that bowing to peer pressure is stupid and you don't have to just mindlessly follow the crowd.  Now let's all chant the same thing and believe what we say about Jesus or you're going to hell.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 09:09 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I got a bit off my original point anyways.  The point is that people who don't want the NFL getting political are getting bombarded with political sensationalism commercials 2 seconds after kickoff anyways. 

But political ads are not unique to NFL programming.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 09:34 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: But political ads are not unique to NFL programming.

Well then people who turn on the TV to avoid politics are SOL.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 09:42 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Well then people who turn on the TV to avoid politics are SOL.

But people expect ads outside of the programming they are tuning into, but not part of the actual program they are tuning into.  

Say you are watching an episode of Law & Order and all of a sudden the actors start giving SJ messages that have nothing to do with the Law & Order episode and then go back to acting.  Also, while you are watching this Law & Order episode you see SJ signs and slogans that have nothing to do with the Law & Order episode.

IMO, that is a big difference.  I can pause and then fast forward through commercials if I choose to, but I cannot pause or fast forward signage and slogans in game.  I'm not saying it personally bothers me that much now that I have seen a couple games, but I can certainly understand people not liking it.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 09:58 AM)Mickeypoo Wrote: But people expect ads outside of the programming they are tuning into, but not part of the actual program they are tuning into.  

Say you are watching an episode of Law & Order and all of a sudden the actors start giving SJ messages that have nothing to do with the Law & Order episode and then go back to acting.  Also, while you are watching this Law & Order episode you see SJ signs and slogans that have nothing to do with the Law & Order episode.

IMO, that is a big difference.  I can pause and then fast forward through commercials if I choose to, but I cannot pause or fast forward signage and slogans in game.  I'm not saying it personally bothers me that much now that I have seen a couple games, but I can certainly understand people not liking it.

People don't have to like it and people can watch something else.  But Trump being president makes me wonder where people get the idea that celebrities shouldn't be political. 

Politics is all over music and movies and TV and has been for generations.  If we just leave political commentary to politicians we are moving even closer to that delightful dictatorship.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 10:07 AM)Nately120 Wrote: People don't have to like it and people can watch something else.  But Trump being president makes me wonder where people get the idea that celebrities shouldn't be political.

I don't think that's the issue for most people who have a problem with the current situation.  It's the injection of those politics into their work product that annoys those people.  If I was watching a the new Top Gun movie and there were constant references to scientology it would cause me to stop watching the movie (to be honest I wouldn't watch that in the first place though).  Other causes and politics is no different in this regard. 

Quote:Politics is all over music and movies and TV and has been for generations.  If we just leave political commentary to politicians we are moving even closer to that delightful dictatorship.

Sure, and you know what you're getting with these products.  It's the injection of politics where before there was none (yes, I know, national anthem and military flyovers) that is driving some people to tune out.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 11:37 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think that's the issue for most people who have a problem with the current situation.  It's the injection of those politics into their work product that annoys those people.  If I was watching a the new Top Gun movie and there were constant references to scientology it would cause me to stop watching the movie (to be honest I wouldn't watch that in the first place though).  Other causes and politics is no different in this regard. 

Sure, and you know what you're getting with these products.  It's the injection of politics where before there was none (yes, I know, national anthem and military flyovers) that is driving some people to tune out.

I get your side, im just saying people complaining about the NFL getting political just falls under the whole "liberal media shoving XYZ down our throats" complaining that has been going on for quite a while now.

I recall dancing with the stars getting calls to boycott for shoving trans people down our throats with the inclusion of Chaz Bono, for starters.  It's the the weaponization of people's zeal to feel under attack that has my cynicism meter flying off the charts. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 11:37 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think that's the issue for most people who have a problem with the current situation.  It's the injection of those politics into their work product that annoys those people.  If I was watching a the new Top Gun movie and there were constant references to scientology it would cause me to stop watching the movie (to be honest I wouldn't watch that in the first place though).  Other causes and politics is no different in this regard. 

I’ve boycotted Tom Cruise movies since his dust up with Brooke Shields. I’m pretty sure he has felt the effects on his wallet, too
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 11:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I get your side, im just saying people complaining about the NFL getting political just falls under the whole "liberal media shoving XYZ down our throats" complaining that has been going on for quite a while now.

I recall dancing with the stars getting calls to boycott for shoving trans people down our throats with the inclusion of Chaz Bono, for starters.  It's the the weaponization of people's zeal to feel under attack that has my cynicism meter flying off the charts. 

It's not my side, I don't really give a shit, I just get why it would bother the people it bothers.  Your second point is an interesting one given the current backlash against Cuties on the grounds that it promotes pedophilia.

(09-16-2020, 11:53 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: I’ve boycotted Tom Cruise movies since his dust up with Brooke Shields. I’m pretty sure he has felt the effects on his wallet, too

Oh man, I had totally forgotten he dated her.  She was my first childhood crush, I had her poster on my wall for years.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It's not my side, I don't really give a shit, I just get why it would bother the people it bothers.  Your second point is an interesting one given the current backlash against Cuties on the grounds that it promotes pedophilia.

I can understand why stuff bothers people, it's just the penchant some folks have to declare themselves put-upon and oppressed that gets my eyes rolling. 

It just goes back to the whole idea that everyone has to claim to love freedom but also get upset that people use freedom to do or promote things they don't like. 

So I get why people don't like it, it's just the follow-up of declaring it to be wrong or amoral or sneaky or dangerously aggressive that borders on absurd self martyrdom.

Also I meant i get your side as in your point, not that you are on a specific side of the NFL politicking thing.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 11:53 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I recall dancing with the stars getting calls to boycott for shoving trans people down our throats with the inclusion of Chaz Bono, for starters.  It's the the weaponization of people's zeal to feel under attack that has my cynicism meter flying off the charts. 

Murphy Brown having a child out of wedlock was shoving immorality down viewers throats.

Two guys kissing on Will and Grace was shoving homosexuality down viewers throats.

Thin skinned people who can not tolerate the opinions of others have been crying about this stuff for generations.  Except in this case the "evil" being forced on them is working together to end racismRolleyes
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:11 PM)Nately120 Wrote:  It just goes back to the whole idea that everyone has to claim to love freedom but also get upset that people use freedom to do or promote things they don't like. 

Rep.

Everyone is "free" to agree with them.  Can't have anything political connected with a sporting even except forced actions of patriotism.  If anyone disagrees then "Get that son-of-a-***** out of there!"
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2020, 12:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Rep.

Everyone is "free" to agree with them.  Can't have anything political connected with a sporting even except forced actions of patriotism.  If anyone disagrees then "Get that son-of-a-***** out of there!"

Patriotism isn't political, unless you believe that one party holds a monopoly on patriotism.
Reply/Quote