Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would it take for you to say that Biden/Trump won the debate?
(09-28-2020, 08:26 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I think it will look like an Eagles-Bengals game and most people just wanting it over.

I had drafted a mini-rant about this debate and how no matter whether Biden or Trump "wins" it will be blatantly on display how America loses. The debate isn't going to be measured by persuasive dialogue or measured speech. It's going to be measured by one liners, insults and how much meme-worthy material is put out. It's the worst of reality TV bleeding into a presidential race. 

For Trump to win in my eyes, he needs to be coherent, prepared, and professional. Stick to the substance of the questions, talk about what his position and platform are and why the American people should give him another four years in office. Let the Americans know HOW he is going to do something like protect people with underlying health conditions and funding social security, rather than simple guarantees that could just as easily be empty promises. Don't go off on tangents or resort to the all too familiar attacks on Biden's age or gaffes. 

For Biden to win he needs to not get baited by Trump into an ugly debate. Trump will undoubtedly attack his age and a number or irrelevant topics. Biden needs to call them out as irrelevant, but focus on getting his message out to Americans. He needs to not get flustered if (when) Trump rambles over time or interrupts with his attempts at one liners and quips during Biden's time. Call Trump's behavior out, but don't sink to that level. He also needs to be able to present himself as something other than "better alternative than Trump."

But yeah, America loses. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
For me Trump lost the debate with all the countless misinformed, divisive, pandering tweets & times he has talked over these last few years.The long term damage he has and is causing makes anyone else he debates against tomorrow a winner already.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
Got named checked but never got that PM so I'll take a stab at it here.

For Biden I am looking for him staying focused.  He and his campaign have made a good effort to ignore Trump and his insults and lies/made up facts.  Biden doesn't have to wow people with his plans for America because as many have already said most voters have made up their minds on who is the better person to lead the country but, IMHO, he does have to clearly show that he has a plan that is different than the one Trump says he has.  And again I know that the facts won't matter to some voters but it would be good, to me, if he can stay on message and let Trump flail.

Trump needs to at least look prepared.  If he still thinks he can just wing it with talking points and conspiracy theories like he did in 2016 he will not look good.  Trump would have to, again as others have said, sound like he knows what he is talking about AND tell the truth.  Humility, empathy, any kind of humanizing performance would give him a boost with the "this was when he looked presidential" voting bloc.

Of course I don't think Trump can do that.  He doesn't pre-read speeches so he won't prepare for the debates the way he should (and should have in 2016).  

Trump's rough approach will seem worse when compared with Biden's easy going smiling style.

And to the idea of voting for Trump?  Ever?

Not if you had asked me any time between 1995 and 2020. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
For Trump to win he would need to give fact based answers without hyperbole, misinformation, and outright lies.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 10:57 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: For Trump to win he would need to give fact based answers without hyperbole, misinformation, and outright lies.

And Biden would have to look lost.

This debate is not going to change my vote, but I will give Trump credit he he outperforms Biden.  However after watching Trump for 5 years I know exactly what we are going to get.
Reply/Quote
Just a quick note. It won't take much for Biden to "win" the debate.

Significant misstep by Trump handlers and supporters to lower the bar so much for Biden's debate skills that it won't take much for him to "win".

Trump supporters (and I know people take offense and are insulted by being called a Trump supporter so I don't use this in a personal attacking way) have done him no favors and they've likely set him up to lose tonight as all Biden really has to do is beat the low expectations that they set for him. Which should be easy to do since Biden has been in a number of debates this year, and if people watched, saw him hold his own to beat back a number of candidates, and show he can hang in a debate.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: And Biden would have to look lost.

This debate is not going to change my vote, but I will give Trump credit he he outperforms Biden.  However after watching Trump for 5 years I know exactly what we are going to get.

Trump accusing Biden of taking PEDs and demanding a drug test before their first debate because Biden can express a cogent thought already puts Trump in the hole for fact based answers without hyperbole, misinformation, and lies.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 07:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What about Philos?

First off, there's an H in my name. It's capitalized on here so there's no reason to miss it!

Anywho, thank you for asking.

For me, all Biden has to do to win is stay on issues. If he devolves into namecalling or challenging Trump to a push-up contest, then he's lost.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I've watched Donald Trump as president for four years now. Believe me when I say I've seen enough.

Biden wins by default.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Let me just say this; I don’t like people who get caught . . . lying over and over again.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:39 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Trump accusing Biden of taking PEDs and demanding a drug test before their first debate because Biden can express a cogent thought already puts Trump in the hole for fact based answers without hyperbole, misinformation, and lies.

Trump is also pushing the dangerous narrative that drugs can make the brain dead appear functional and competent.  So much for that war on drugs. 

Also, what PEDs are illegal in the world of politics?  If Biden is taking some magical smart pill can't Trump take it, too?
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:13 AM)jj22 Wrote: Just a quick note. It won't take much for Biden to "win" the debate.

Significant misstep by Trump handlers and supporters to lower the bar so much for Biden's debate skills that it won't take much for him to "win".

Trump supporters (and I know people take offense and are insulted by being called a Trump supporter so I don't use this in a personal attacking way) have done him no favors and they've likely set him up to lose tonight as all Biden really has to do is beat the low expectations that they set for him. Which should be easy to do since Biden has been in a number of debates this year, and if people watched, saw him hold his own to beat back a number of candidates, and show he can hang in a debate.

A small misstep will hurt Biden as much or more than a big one hurts Trump.

By the way, I thought Hillary pretty much kicked his ass in all three debates, in terms of knowledge and debating points. 

But Trump "performed" Trump in a way that satisfied supporters. 

I expect that to happen tonight too.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 03:55 PM)Dill Wrote: A small misstep will hurt Biden as much or more than a big one hurts Trump.

By the way, I thought Hillary pretty much kicked his ass in all three debates, in terms of knowledge and debating points. 

But Trump "performed" Trump in a way that satisfied supporters. 

I expect that to happen tonight too.

Oh yea, they've already determined Biden's competence and win is drug related (that Adderall cures Dementia which is horrifically misleading given how many of us have and lost family members who have/had Dementia. Nothing to talk so lightly about, but they believe Adderall is a cure for it, and well, that's unfortunate). 

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 01:43 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Trump is also pushing the dangerous narrative that drugs can make the brain dead appear functional and competent.  So much for that war on drugs. 

Also, what PEDs are illegal in the world of politics?  If Biden is taking some magical smart pill can't Trump take it, too?

[Image: 220px-Limitless_Poster.jpg]

Yeah, because Trump would rip off students at Trump University or charities for veterans, but he has too much integrity to take a drug to make him smarter.
Reply/Quote
If one of them draws a longsword from the podium and beheads their opponent, I would consider them the winner.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 04:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If one of them draws a longsword from the podium and beheads their opponent, I would consider them the winner.

There can be only one?
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 06:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote:  And for most, if not all, of us it would take something no one could conceive of to get us to for the other guy, correct?

How exactly do you "for" one of the candidates, Mr. Typo Nazi?
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 04:19 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: If one of them draws a longsword from the podium and beheads their opponent, I would consider them the winner.

To be fair, Trump can barely lift a glass of water and Biden struggles to keep his head up.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 04:26 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How exactly do you "for" one of the candidates, Mr. Typo Nazi?

??
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:32 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: To be fair, Trump can barely lift a glass of water and Biden struggles to keep his head up.

Just another one of those win/win elections.  No wonder everyone is jealous of the USA. 
Reply/Quote