Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Burrow Offensive Rookie of the Year?
This reminds me of the Griffin vs Luck season in 2012. Griffin put up way better numbers but the colts put more on Luck shoulders. Burrow is being asked to do a lot while Herbert isn't.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 04:50 PM)J24 Wrote: This reminds me of the Griffin vs Luck season in 2012. Griffin put up way better numbers but the colts put more on Luck shoulders. Burrow is being asked to do a lot while Herbert isn't.

Oh stop it. Herbert is being asked to do a lot for any rookie. Start on a team that did poorly last year in possibly the toughest division outside of the AFCN. Quit diminishing what Herbert has done! Burrow is still great even if Herbert does well.
Reply/Quote
Justin Herbert has now passed Burrow for OROY. Thanks Bengals, it only took 5 games to ruin Joe Burrow. I thought it would take at least a few seasons.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 04:57 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Oh stop it. Herbert is being asked to do a lot for any rookie. Start on a team that did poorly last year in possibly the toughest division outside of the AFCN. Quit diminishing what Herbert has done! Burrow is still great even if Herbert does well.

I'm not diminishing him at all. Hell I wish the Bengals would use that same strategy with Burrow. Herbert is doing a hell of a job out in LA.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 09:01 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm not ready to say the Bengals took the wrong QB, it would be foolery after a handful of games. Watching Herbert, however, is a gut-punch reminder that the overall Bengals franchise is a joke. Burrow is great, but will the ownership, coaching, and supporting cast allow him to excel?

This is exactly what people were telling Burrow before the draft and now it’s proving to be true.
Reply/Quote
Here are Herbert's highlights from last night - https://www.nfl.com/videos/justin-herbert-s-best-plays-from-mnf-debut-week-5

The first play is a great play by Herbert. After that, you have two deep balls where the receivers are wide open and the third deep ball the WR makes a great play. Outside of Week 1 when Burrow missed two deep throws, can anyone remember where Burrow has had a receiver THAT open like the first two deep balls or a WR go make a play like the third?
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 05:02 PM)J24 Wrote: I'm not diminishing him at all. Hell I wish the Bengals would use that same strategy with Burrow. Herbert is doing a hell of a job out in LA.

and what strategy is that?  Throw long and complete the passes ?.. Do you remember that Zac and Burrow got together and put in things that Burrow felt comfortable with at LSU... not that i know what those are but it is not like Burrow has not had a voice in our offense
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 04:50 PM)J24 Wrote: This reminds me of the Griffin vs Luck season in 2012. Griffin put up way better numbers but the colts put more on Luck shoulders. Burrow is being asked to do a lot while Herbert isn't.

Well both of those guys had promising careers majorly derailed by getting shellacked, so let's talk about someone else.  Bad juju, man.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 06:03 PM)RiverRat13 Wrote: Here are Herbert's highlights from last night - https://www.nfl.com/videos/justin-herbert-s-best-plays-from-mnf-debut-week-5

The first play is a great play by Herbert.  After that, you have two deep balls where the receivers are wide open and the third deep ball the WR makes a great play.  Outside of Week 1 when Burrow missed two deep throws, can anyone remember where Burrow has had a receiver THAT open like the first two deep balls or a WR go make a play like the third?

Yes.. pass to Higgins one game down the sideline.. outside of deep pass one other area that i have noticed Herbert has done better than Burrow on the games I have watched.. is throwing on the run  
Reply/Quote
Rookie update: 4 player race in Offense right now

1. Justin Herbert: 4 starts 69% completion 1195 yds 9 TDs, 3 int 87 rating

2. Joe Burrow: 5 starts 65% completion, 1,304 yds 6 TDs.. 3 Int 80 rating

3. James Robinson: 5 starts 333 rushing 4.6 ypc 3 tds 19 receptions 180 yds

4. Chase Claypool 13 receptions 261 yards 4 Tds
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 10:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Rookie update: 4 player race in Offense right now

1. Justin Herbert: 4 starts 69% completion 1195 yds 9 TDs, 3 int 87 rating

2. Joe Burrow: 5 starts 65% completion, 1,304 yds 6 TDs.. 3 Int 80 rating

3. James Robinson: 5 starts 333 rushing 4.6 ypc 3 tds 19 receptions 180 yds

4. Chase Claypool 13 receptions 261 yards 4 Tds

James Robinson will be #1 after this week. I’m guessing he will get around 150+ more all purpose yards and 2TDs
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 09:43 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: and what strategy is that?  Throw long and complete the passes ?..  Do you remember that Zac and Burrow got together and put in things that Burrow felt comfortable with at LSU... not that i know what those are but it is not like Burrow has not had a voice in our offense

Being able to actually run the ball and force the Defense to play 8 men in the box to open up the passing game.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 10:17 PM)J24 Wrote: Being able to actually run the ball and force the Defense to play 8 men in the box to open up the passing game.

Stats overall dont support that .  In last three games they avg 90 yards rushing, bengals over 100 , 
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 10:37 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Stats overall dont support that .  In last three games they avg 90 yards rushing, bengals over 100 , 

Incredibly misleading stat. Outside of the Jags game(205 yards) we have not ran the ball worth crap.
122, 68, 48, and 70. That's an average of 77 yards per a game. In the 4 games that Herbert has played in his team is averaging 114 yards per a contest. That's a 37 yard difference per a game.
J24

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 01:59 AM)J24 Wrote: Incredibly misleading stat. Outside of the Jags game(205 yards) we have not ran the ball worth crap.
122, 68, 48, and 70. That's an average of 77 yards per a game. In the 4 games that Herbert has played in his team is averaging 114 yards per a contest. That's a 37 yard difference per a game.

Also in the first half of the Jags game they only had 22 yards rushing. It was a few long runs in the second half that skew the averages.

The Bengals haven't been able to move the ball consistently on the ground to pull more defenders in the box. If they can do that it will open the 3rd level of the field for deep passing. Right now the Bengals have been seeing alot of cover 2 and cover 3 which is difficult to go down field against.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2020, 02:10 AM)Synric Wrote: Also in the first half of the Jags game they only had 22 yards rushing. It was a few long runs in the second half that skew the averages.

The Bengals haven't been able to move the ball consistently on the ground to pull more defenders in the box. If they can do that it will open the 3rd level of the field for deep passing. Right now the Bengals have been seeing alot of cover 2 and cover 3 which is difficult to go down field against.
Funny thing is , Taylor's playbook from Los Angeles requires being able to run the ball ,then use playaction. That's supposedly his offensive mind hes brought which is laughable.  The games we won we were able to execute running the ball. But he cant figure out how to run the ball consistently.  He runs everything out of single back also which is stupid if you dont have a good o line. 
Reply/Quote
Bounce back week for Burrow who made all the throws (even the drops were dimes). He didn't put up the passing TD's, but rebounded nicely to maintain his lead.

Don't hold the INT to end the game against him. Herbert threw one too.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 04:59 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Justin Herbert has now passed Burrow for OROY. Thanks Bengals, it only took 5 games to ruin Joe Burrow. I thought it would take at least a few seasons.

It usually takes only 1 if that.. I think that that loss got alot of us yesterday including myslef.. I think Justin Jefferson might get it, but it's not time to give up on Burrow yet. Even Manning threw 28 ints his rookie year and Brady gets picked on game winning drives..
Reply/Quote
The Offensive Rookie of the Year is a long way from being a done deal.  I'm not sure Joe Burrow will be in the running based on the Bengals' win-loss record alone.  If the Bengals experience a massive midseason turnaround then maybe.

Let's not relive the 2020 draft again.  For the record I wanted to trade the pick but now that Joe Burrow is a Bengal that is all water under the bridge and I back him 100%. 

Drafting Justin Herbert would have been the right move under the following conditions:

1. An excellent existing offensive line.
2. A well developed run game.
3. An experienced offensive coordinator.
4. A superb coach who calls the plays.
5.  Deep threat wide receivers already on the roster.

The Bengals met none of these conditions.  If they went quarterback it had to be Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(10-13-2020, 10:02 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Rookie update:  4 player race in Offense right now

1. Justin Herbert:  4 starts  69% completion  1195 yds  9 TDs, 3 int   87 rating

2. Joe Burrow:   5 starts 65% completion, 1,304  yds   6 TDs.. 3 Int  80 rating

3. James Robinson:  5 starts  333 rushing 4.6 ypc  3 tds    19 receptions 180 yds

4. Chase Claypool  13 receptions 261 yards 4 Tds

You forgot the best out of them all Justin Jefferson. He is killing it..

28 catches 535 yards 3 tds
Reply/Quote