Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hookers and Blow!
(07-15-2017, 05:10 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: So let's say we have 2 receivers on the right/left side. Is it legal for one to run a hook and getting in the way (I know he can't block the defender after 5yds) leaving the 2nd receiver blowing by and having an open field for the deep ball? The receiver would at least get a step or two minimum.

Rub routes, aka crossing routes are intentionally designed to pick the defender, without being flagged as a "pick play".  There has been lots of discussion about this play, and the common practice of it.  Probably the two teams that do it more and execute it better than anyone else is puttsburgh and New England.  

Years ago, when David Carr was the QB of the Texans, they did that simple play you are describing for something like 5 consecutive snaps....always got 10 yards.  The Bengals had no clue how to defend it and Andre Johnson was a load to tackle once he had a head of steam.

I think that is one reason Marv and Co. have had an affinity for 6'6" and above DEs to try and bat those balls down.  I mean, with Dunlap, MJ, Hunt, and Clarke, they look more like a basketball team.  Too bad only one of them is a true pass rusher.  I'm very excited to see what Willis and Lawson can bring to the table this year. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
My two favorite things in life if I could have all the money I've spent on both over just the last 5 years I'd have a solid 15-20 grand
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 08:35 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Rub routes, aka crossing routes are intentionally designed to pick the defender, without being flagged as a "pick play".  There has been lots of discussion about this play, and the common practice of it.  Probably the two teams that do it more and execute it better than anyone else is puttsburgh and New England.  

Years ago, when David Carr was the QB of the Texans, they did that simple play you are describing for something like 5 consecutive snaps....always got 10 yards.  The Bengals had no clue how to defend it and Andre Johnson was a load to tackle once he had a head of steam.

I think that is one reason Marv and Co. have had an affinity for 6'6" and above DEs to try and bat those balls down.  I mean, with Dunlap, MJ, Hunt, and Clarke, they look more like a basketball team.  Too bad only one of them is a true pass rusher.  I'm very excited to see what Willis and Lawson can bring to the table this year. 
Glad I am not the only one who has noticed there are 2 certain teams that get away with "pick routes"  down inside the 5..... 
Reply/Quote
(07-18-2017, 11:38 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Glad I am not the only one who has noticed there are 2 certain teams that get away with "pick routes"  down inside the 5..... 

Heck, they don't even reserve them for inside the 5 yard line...it is any time they need to move the chains.  I know other teams/coaches have made tapes and complained to the NFL, but that is about as effective as putting a collection of 14 blatant holding penalties together in one game that one assbaggy team got away with. 
Reply/Quote