Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work Ethic is the HUGE Upside to Dalton.
Watching on TV how Ryan Leaf use to like Las Vegas nights maybe too much. We know about Johnny Manziel. Bengals have had players that did late night drinking exotic dancer clubs way too much, often to point of police, suspensions. Sports show says in draft scouts wondered who was better, Leaf or Peyton Manning. There must be some pretty stupid scouts then because you could tell Peyton Manning was NFL Hall of Fame with years left at Tennessee in College. I figured Montana and Marino in college but Peyton Manning was even more obvious. Now Peyton Manning wasn't a Las Vegas Nightclub guy and was a practice hard guy. OK, so Bengals have Dalton who is a practice hard guy. He has also led Bengals to 5 play-off seasons in 7 years. He wins more for Bengals than any QB in their history. Some of you may not like him, but in college and NFL he finds a way to win. Other than injury in 2015, he has started every game. Had he not been injured in 2015, he was in lead to be NFL MVP. He has been in Pro Bowls. So we all have to give Dalton credit for his Work Ethic. This is a guy that you won't see in the nightclubs because he spends his time on the practice field. He is focused on winning. Even in his rookie year the NFL had a strike lockout and no rookie camps, so Dalton got a playbook and ran other rookies through rookie camp on his own and 2011 team made play-offs thanks to that. Dalton will be the hardest working player in practice and in games and that makes him a Leader and one of the better QB's in the NFL. Some of you may not believe it, but many teams would love to have him. If this team can just block better, Dalton can lead them back to play-offs because Winning Is His Focus. He has a great work ethic that some NFL after midnight playboys lack. I've always compared Dalton to Bart Starr or Len Dawson in that there may be stronger armed quarterbacks, but like Starr and Dawson, Dalton is a field general who quarterbacks a lot of wins. You want wins, or as Paul Brown said, " individual stats are for losers ". Dalton wins. I believe the blocking will improve to let him lead team to wins again. As for no play-off wins, I only look to the San Diego game as a bad game. He was too green in 2011 and 2012 on road. Against Indy on road too many injuries, and in 2015 he was injured. The Bengals go into 2018 with one of the better field generals in NFL, which greatly helps their chances.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Yeah, the love of the night life has been the undoing of many a young man, myself included. There's been a lot of times I wish I hadn't fallen in love with the feeling of the buzz from that first few drinks..  Now I don't even like that feeling, but for too many years I did. Too late we get smart I guess..  Once folks think you're a boozer it's next to impossible to get them to think otherwise.. especially if you've ever been arrested for anything related to alcohol.. It'll follow you around like a bad puppy.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Paragraphs man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
The nightlife just doesn't fit Andy's character, as a man. In addition to having such a high work ethic, he's a dedicated family man who is also devout in his faith and service to helping others. As evidenced by the Andy and Jordan Foundation. Their mission is to provide daily support, opportunities, resources and life changing experiences to seriously ill and physically challenged children and their families in Cincinnati and Fort Worth.

If Andy never achieves a Super Bowl victory as a Bengal, it won't be for lack of effort on his part.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
One of the reasons i was a fan of this draft. A lot of our picks fit that mold.

I just wish Dalton had more of an edge.

Instead of pregame speaches like "come on guys lets go have fun..."

I would rather hear him say "lets go stomp these chumps"

He basically has everything you want. I just want more fire and urgency
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 11:51 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: One of the reasons i was a fan of this draft. A lot of our picks fit that mold.

Pretty much agree with this

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 11:51 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: One of the reasons i was a fan of this draft. A lot of our picks fit that mold.

He’s a nice guy which probably makes his motivational speeches kinda lame.

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 12:25 AM)kevin Wrote: Watching on TV how Ryan Leaf use to like Las Vegas nights maybe too much.  We know about Johnny Manziel.  Bengals have had players that did late night drinking exotic dancer clubs way too much, often to point of police, suspensions.  Sports show says in draft scouts wondered who was better, Leaf or Peyton Manning.

There must be some pretty stupid scouts then because you could tell Peyton Manning was NFL Hall of Fame with years left at Tennessee in College.  I figured Montana and Marino in college but Peyton Manning was even more obvious. Now Peyton Manning wasn't a Las Vegas Nightclub guy and was a practice hard guy.  

OK, so Bengals have Dalton who is a practice hard guy.  He has also led Bengals to 5 play-off seasons in 7 years.  He wins more for Bengals than any QB in their history. Some of you may not like him, but in college and NFL he finds a way to win.  Other than injury in 2015, he has started every game.  Had he not been injured in 2015, he was in lead to be NFL MVP.

He has been in Pro Bowls.  So we all have to give Dalton credit for his Work Ethic.  This is a guy that you won't see in the nightclubs because he spends his time on the practice field. He is focused on winning.  Even in his rookie year the NFL had a strike lockout and no rookie camps, so Dalton got a playbook and ran other rookies through rookie camp on his own and 2011 team made play-offs thanks to that.  Dalton will be the hardest working player in practice and in games and that makes him a Leader and one of the better QB's in the NFL.  

Some of you may not believe it,  but many teams would love to have him. If this team can just block better, Dalton can lead them back to play-offs because Winning Is His Focus. He has a great work ethic that some NFL after midnight playboys lack. I've always compared Dalton to Bart Starr or Len Dawson in that there may be stronger armed quarterbacks, but like Starr and Dawson, Dalton is a field general who quarterbacks a lot of wins.  You want wins, or as Paul Brown said, " individual stats are for losers ".  

Dalton wins. I believe the blocking will improve to let him lead team to wins again.  As for no play-off wins, I only look to the San Diego game as a bad game. He was too green in 2011 and 2012 on road. Against Indy on road too many injuries, and in 2015 he was injured.  The Bengals go into 2018 with one of the better field generals in NFL, which greatly helps their chances.
There, now I can read it. Yes, my hopes are high for Andy and the Bengals as well this year. Listening to Sirius NFL the other day they spent a little time on the Bengals. We always talk about media types that "hate" the Bengals, but I can tell you one that loves the Bengals:

Brady Quinn, 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 11:51 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: One of the reasons i was a fan of this draft. A lot of our picks fit that mold.

I get what you are saying, however some guys are just not wired for "give them hell speeches".  We have a lot of guys on the team like that, Geno, AJ and even Burfict if you think about it. In honesty, I don't think that has any to do with performance on the field. It's more for TV coverage to get fans excited, Ray Lewis had one of the dumbest pre-game routines.
Reply/Quote
Andy only has to let his hair-do do the motivational speaking. Better than living in a van down by the river even..which is where he may have found the do..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 11:52 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I get what you are saying, however some guys are just not wired for "give them hell speeches".  We have a lot of guys on the team like that, Geno, AJ and even Burfict if you think about it. In honesty, I don't think that has any to do with performance on the field. It's more for TV coverage to get fans excited, Ray Lewis had one of the dumbest pre-game routines.

Ray’s speeches WORKED though. They got his team beyond pumped up for the game.

https://youtu.be/RABQY0t1Bqw

Andy otoh...

https://youtu.be/_358Pi3xWsQ

Reply/Quote
“Playmakers on three”

I don’t know about you, but I need to hit somebody!
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 12:39 PM)HuDey Wrote: “Playmakers on three”

I don’t know about you, but I need to hit somebody!

If you need a Rah Rah speech to get excited about playing, then you had better find another line of work...
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2018, 09:22 AM)grampahol Wrote: Yeah, the love of the night life has been the undoing of many a young man, myself included. There's been a lot of times I wish I hadn't fallen in love with the feeling of the buzz from that first few drinks..  Now I don't even like that feeling, but for too many years I did. Too late we get smart I guess..  Once folks think you're a boozer it's next to impossible to get them to think otherwise.. especially if you've ever been arrested for anything related to alcohol.. It'll follow you around like a bad puppy.. 

It's one of the thing that kept me out of the NFL.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 12:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Ray’s speeches WORKED though. They got his team beyond pumped up for the game. 

Those teams did not win because they were "pumped up".  They won because they were a bunch of great football players.

I've seen plenty of guys get psyched out of their minds and still play like crap.

You have to be able to think every second when you play the game at the NFL level.  You can't be a good player by just going crazy, screaming, and yelling.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 01:32 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If you need a Rah Rah speech to get excited about playing, then you had better find another line of work...

You're missing the point. His point was that Dalton doesn't exhibit the type of attitude that he want's a player of his caliber to exhibit...ala Ray Lewis. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 01:32 PM)sandwedge Wrote: If you need a Rah Rah speech to get excited about playing, then you had better find another line of work...

I get what you’re saying, but it does help to get that little boost before you throw yourself headlong into the violence.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 02:40 PM)HuDey Wrote: I get what you’re saying, but it does help to get that little boost before you throw yourself headlong into the violence.

Ageed

The most motivation we get from the head coach is some clapping and giggles and the owner sounds like Droopy talking. That wont cut it.

You need some motivation to go out there and participate in the brutality.
Reply/Quote
(05-17-2018, 01:58 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: You're missing the point. His point was that Dalton doesn't exhibit the type of attitude that he want's a player of his caliber to exhibit...ala Ray Lewis. 

Offensive and defensive hype are as different as apples and oranges.  Offensive players in general are much more cerebral and calculated, where as defensive players are emotional and responsive.  That is why our defense plays so much better when Vontaze Burfict is in the lineup.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

It’s not about “needing” it. It’s just part of what being a great leader can add.

Reply/Quote