Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What Are you Playing Now & General Game Discussions
(06-17-2023, 08:23 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: Played through the FFXVI demo. About 2.5 hours of exposition, mechanic tutorials and an intro to combat.

A definite tone shift for FF. Seems to go after the Game of Thrones crowd.

GoT nerd checking in…what do you mean specifically?

PS5 exclusive for 6 months? Lame…tell me the demo sucks
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2023, 09:23 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Diablo 4 Act 1 for at least 1 or 2 characters MY Barb is struggling atm so im gonna go clear some dungeons for aspects with other classes

Barbarian was frustrating for me. I got mine to 55 and then switched to Hunter (well rogue but I wanted to play hunter so I’m a ranged rogue). My brother said he had the most fun with Druid so I’m gonna check that out next…..though now that I think about it he might be biased since he’s been playing Druid on wow for like 20 years lol.

I think overall they did a pretty good job. There’s things that make me shake my head but nothing too awful. I know they’ll be tuning this game for years.

I’m also not really sold on the PvP aspect of it yet.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 09:37 AM)basballguy Wrote: GoT nerd checking in…what do you mean specifically?  

PS5 exclusive for 6 months?  Lame…tell me the demo sucks

The demo sets it up as a sort of GoT political intrigue-esque fantasy. Not that the tropes that GoT employs weren't in any of the previous installments of FF or anything. 

If I had to tie it to another Final Fantasy I'd say XVI is shaping up to be a darker, grittier, more violent version of XII.

Not a terrible amount of combat, but it seems to be a better refined version of XV mixed with elements of the FF7 remake. The Devil May Cry influence is also noticeable (combat director came from the DMC franchise).

Demo decidedly does not suck. Heavy on the exposition and world-building, but if executed well this game could be absolutely brilliant. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 09:37 AM)basballguy Wrote: GoT nerd checking in…what do you mean specifically?  

PS5 exclusive for 6 months?  Lame…tell me the demo sucks

Yeah its exclusive for 6 months but Square already said they dont think the PC version will be ready in 6 months.. (and its not coming to other consoles)
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 09:50 AM)basballguy Wrote: Barbarian was frustrating for me.  I got mine to 55 and then switched to Hunter (well rogue but I wanted to play hunter so I’m a ranged rogue).  My brother said he had the most fun with Druid so I’m gonna check that out next…..though now that I think about it he might be biased since he’s been playing Druid on wow for like 20 years lol.

I think overall they did a pretty good job.  There’s things that make me shake my head but nothing too awful.  I know they’ll be tuning this game for years.  

I’m also not really sold on the PvP aspect of it yet.

havent done and dont really care about the PvP...   

My buddy and I are both playing Druids for our Coop Run... Im a Wearbear he is elemental casting.

My Necro has almost cleared act 1 i believe   and area 1  been cleaning up side quest.

When do you get the mount?

Still waiting on Amazon to Deliver Aliens Dark Descent !!!
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2023, 10:40 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: The demo sets it up as a sort of GoT political intrigue-esque fantasy. Not that the tropes that GoT employs weren't in any of the previous installments of FF or anything. 

If I had to tie it to another Final Fantasy I'd say XVI is shaping up to be a darker, grittier, more violent version of XII.

Not a terrible amount of combat, but it seems to be a better refined version of XV mixed with elements of the FF7 remake. The Devil May Cry influence is also noticeable (combat director came from the DMC franchise).

Demo decidedly does not suck. Heavy on the exposition and world-building, but if executed well this game could be absolutely brilliant. 

Ok - it seems I must dust off the PS5 and play the FF demo.  I haven't enjoyed a FF game since XII, so it might be time to jump back in.  Hated XV's combat (played the demo).
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2023, 09:19 AM)Stewy Wrote: Ok - it seems I must dust off the PS5 and play the FF demo.  I haven't enjoyed a FF game since XII, so it might be time to jump back in.  Hated XV's combat (played the demo).

They are making a Day 1 patch based on feedback from the demo.   Something to keep in mind if you encounter issues.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2023, 09:53 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: They are making a Day 1 patch based on feedback from the demo.   Something to keep in mind if you encounter issues.

Oh.  I'm aware of demo potential issues.  I played the MEA early access back in the day (2017), and hope was the early access wasn't the finished product.  Well it wasn't finished, that's for sure.  haha
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2023, 11:38 AM)Stewy Wrote: Oh.  I'm aware of demo potential issues.  I played the MEA early access back in the day (2017), and hope was the early access wasn't the finished product.  Well it wasn't finished, that's for sure.  haha

i only mentioned it because previously Square stated it would not need or get a day 1 patch
Reply/Quote
Nintendo had a Direct today...

Here is everything announced
https://www.ign.com/articles/nintendo-direct-june-2023-everything-announced
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2023, 11:38 AM)Stewy Wrote: Oh.  I'm aware of demo potential issues.  I played the MEA early access back in the day (2017), and hope was the early access wasn't the finished product.  Well it wasn't finished, that's for sure.  haha

It's a day -2 patch that fixed a few bugs and errors. Zero effect on content or gameplay. 

A patch based on feedback (motion blur, key mapping) is probably in the works though.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2023, 02:51 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: It's a day -2 patch that fixed a few bugs and errors. Zero effect on content or gameplay. 

A patch based on feedback (motion blur, key mapping) is probably in the works though.

wouldnt fixing bugs effect gameplay?
Reply/Quote
A Quake 2 remaster has been rated in Korea.... This seems like we will get an Exciting announcement @ Quake-con this year. Believe 2021 they launched the Quake 1 remaster
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2023, 03:01 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: wouldnt fixing bugs effect gameplay?

Depends on the bug doesn't it?

In MEA the original animations were laughably bad, but had nothing to do with game play but everything to do with immersion.

Broken quests might affect your ability to do certain things, but they wouldn't specifically affect gameplay mechanics.  Not being able to complete a quest isn't gameplay.....it's just a bug that damages the overall game experience.
Reply/Quote
FFXVI is easily the best Final Fantasy since X. I say that as someone who lists XII as my favorite FF.

That said, if FFXV rode the fence between action adventure and rpg, XVI is now dangling off the action adventure side. I can understand and appreciate the criticism on that front. It plays much more like a Devil May Cry/God of War with Final Fantasy influences rather than a Final Fantasy with Devil May Cry/God of War influences. If it didn't bear the "Final Fantasy" title it probably wouldn't be a thing, but when your title is synonymous with "RPG" it's going to get mentioned.

That said, I'm only about 7ish hours in. It has been a blast so far.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 10:21 AM)CKwi88 Wrote: FFXVI is easily the best Final Fantasy since X. I say that as someone who lists XII as my favorite FF.

That said, if FFXV rode the fence between action adventure and rpg, XVI is now dangling off the action adventure side. I can understand and appreciate the criticism on that front. It plays much more like a Devil May Cry/God of War with Final Fantasy influences rather than a Final Fantasy with Devil May Cry/God of War influences. If it didn't bear the "Final Fantasy" title it probably wouldn't be a thing, but when your title is synonymous with "RPG" it's going to get mentioned.

That said, I'm only about 7ish hours in. It has been a blast so far.

Pass.  I'm old.  I only want RPGs.  *very sad*

With that said. if the Dragon Age:  Dreadwolf leaked gameplay is leak video was truly what to expect from the next game, then it is going the Action'ish/God of War path as well and that makes me very very sad.  I long for old school RPGs that were turn based or pseudo turn based like FFXII.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 11:29 AM)Stewy Wrote: Pass.  I'm old.  I only want RPGs.  *very sad*

With that said. if the Dragon Age:  Dreadwolf leaked gameplay is leak video was truly what to expect from the next game, then it is going the Action'ish/God of War path as well and that makes me very very sad.  I long for old school RPGs that were turn based or pseudo turn based like FFXII.

yeah DA D is headed this same direction it seems.

Baldurs gate 3 might be the next big one unless youre looking for JRPG's specifically.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 12:09 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: yeah DA D is headed this same direction it seems.

Baldurs gate 3 might be the next big one unless youre looking for JRPG's specifically.

Well my hope is Bioware puts on its Big Girl Panties and listens to the massive criticism it got from the fans and critics about that leak.  They'll have ~18 months from the Alpha leak to the release, plus input from Mark Darrah to really reign things in.  My hope is that with the proper time to work on the game, Bioware be something akin to what they were back in the early 2010's.  Even if I personally do not like it, I want DAD to be a huge success so I can get another Mass Effect game.

With that said, I must admit, that as time goes on, I only like doing what i know I like doing, in gaming and in life.  I am not interested in life changing experiences as time goes on.  hehe
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 11:29 AM)Stewy Wrote: Pass.  I'm old.  I only want RPGs.  *very sad*

XVI certainly will not scratch the party/inventory/skill/equipment management itch I've been feeling. 

I might give Octopath Traveler 2 a go after I finish the backlog I've created for myself between FF7R, FFXVI, DmC5 and Tears of the Kingdom. Might even end up buying Elden Ring again if they do a bundle when the DLC releases.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2023, 12:46 PM)CKwi88 Wrote: XVI certainly will not scratch the party/inventory/skill/equipment management itch I've been feeling. 

I might give Octopath Traveler 2 a go after I finish the backlog I've created for myself between FF7R, FFXVI, DmC5 and Tears of the Kingdom. Might even end up buying Elden Ring again if they do a bundle when the DLC releases.

TotK is absolutely awesome.  It takes every good from BotW and does it better.  Adds new stuff that makes it better.  Brings back real difficulty (you are going to die ALOT, get ready for it) to the gameplay.  It's like everything is just MORE.  And even though we all know what the story is, ultimately, they way they told it this time actually had me longing to followit and reach for the next clue.

With that said, I'll probably still give the FFXVI demo a try at least.   It's free.  Can't hurt.  But Im sure I'll have a multi hour update since I haven't turned my PS5 on in months.  lol
Reply/Quote