Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Andy Dalton reads defense as well as anybody in the league
I thought this was a good video, and thought some people would like it also.

https://youtu.be/KsaC5hD6mZI
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton once threw away aball on 4th down. Therefore he has never read a defense or made a proper decision.

Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2019, 12:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Andy Dalton once threw away aball on 4th down.  Therefore he has never read a defense or made a proper decision.

Ninja

Well he did throw an INT on 4th down in a playoff game and people were upset about that too. Even though it was basically a punt. Cant win sometimes 
Reply/Quote
Mixon is hilarious; it looks MUCH funnier from high above LOL
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
One thing that most Dalton critics probably don't realize is that the Bengals rarely ran drag routes or crossing routes since Gruden left for Washington. This does not help your QB at all. If you take away the drag routes or crossing routes from Tom Brady, then he doesn't move the ball down the field as consistently as he does. It always seems that about half of Brady's second half passes the last ten years are little 5 yard tosses to Amendola or Edelman racing across the field in front of Brady. Well, we all remember what a rookie Dalton did with a drag route because it enabled a mostly useless WR to get the ball in space and "make a play".

Most Bengals routes the last 5 years were "run to your spot and stand there waiting with your defender attached to your hip". I don't see a lot of Dalton bashers screaming "____ _____ was WIDE OPEN and Dalton threw it into coverage." That's why they drafted Ross and Malone, speed. They didn't have anybody that could get open other than AJ. Boyd was still a rookie slot guy still finding his way in the league and trying to find a way out of Marvin's doghouse. Even when they had Sanu and Jones, they weren't exactly running away from defenders.

Build up a team around Dalton, including a backup QB in Finley that is very similar, and let's see what Taylor and Callahan come up with to let Dalton shine. Some here gave up on Dalton years ago but this year is indeed his sink or swim season. If he shows Taylor that he can distribute the ball and operate his offense, Dalton will be here another six or seven years.

Dalton went to the playoffs with Cedric Benson and then Benjarvis Green-Ellis as his RBs. He's got Mixon and Gio now with a young and improving O-line. Add in what appears to be a much more aggressive coaching staff, Taylor will put Dalton back in the Pro Bowl and Dalton just might put Cincy back in the Super Bowl. 
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't go so far to say that I'm an Andy Dalton supporter, but I'm definitely not a hater. He does a lot of good things and with a decent cast around him, performance well. If there was a solid upgrade to Dalton available that didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd be okay with it, but when talking about "Do you want to replace Dalton?" my first response is always, "with who?"

To be honest, most upgrades to Dalton are locked down on deals, or the occassional slight upgrade or equal QB available in FA simply isn't worth the cost. I hope with the line upgrades and more emphasis on Mixon in the offense, Dalton will regain some form and production.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:35 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I wouldn't go so far to say that I'm an Andy Dalton supporter, but I'm definitely not a hater.  He does a lot of good things and with a decent cast around him, performance well.  If there was a solid upgrade to Dalton available that didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd be okay with it, but when talking about "Do you want to replace Dalton?" my first response is always, "with who?"

To be honest, most upgrades to Dalton are locked down on deals, or the occassional slight upgrade or equal QB available in FA simply isn't worth the cost.  I hope with the line upgrades and more emphasis on Mixon in the offense, Dalton will regain some form and production.

Add in that even a Free Agent replacement may not put up even close to the same the numbers as his previous job, look at Cousins in Minnesota and Keenum in Denver.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:35 PM)CardCounterChris Wrote: I wouldn't go so far to say that I'm an Andy Dalton supporter, but I'm definitely not a hater.  He does a lot of good things and with a decent cast around him, performance well.  If there was a solid upgrade to Dalton available that didn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd be okay with it, but when talking about "Do you want to replace Dalton?" my first response is always, "with who?"

To be honest, most upgrades to Dalton are locked down on deals, or the occassional slight upgrade or equal QB available in FA simply isn't worth the cost.  I hope with the line upgrades and more emphasis on Mixon in the offense, Dalton will regain some form and production.

I think Troy Blackburn approach to the Hart deal was the same as this logic. You don't know what you will get in FA even if the player is golden with their current team. They kept Hart as they knew what they had in him. IMO, Blackburn should avoid the media and maybe like Tobin or someone else from the club talk to the media on FA and signing their own players. 
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2019, 05:35 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Build up a team around Dalton, including a backup QB in Finley that is very similar, and let's see what Taylor and Callahan come up with to let Dalton shine. Some here gave up on Dalton years ago but this year is indeed his sink or swim season. If he shows Taylor that he can distribute the ball and operate his offense, Dalton will be here another six or seven years.

No. Dalton is done. Dude has been broken by his offensive line and lack of scheming against shortcomings. Dalton feels pressure that isn't there, feels pressure from the wrong side, does not move into the pocket adequately, and does not try to run for yardage if there's nothing there (which is partially his receivers fault for not getting open). While his physical talent is not yet on the decline, mentally he just doesn't have it anymore. 

So, while him starting this year may help us get a high draft pick, it's too late to build around Dalton. We need youth at the position with the potential to become elite. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2019, 03:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: No. Dalton is done. Dude has been broken by his offensive line and lack of scheming against shortcomings. Dalton feels pressure that isn't there, feels pressure from the wrong side, does not move into the pocket adequately, and does not try to run for yardage if there's nothing there (which is partially his receivers fault for not getting open). While his physical talent is not yet on the decline, mentally he just doesn't have it anymore. 

So, while him starting this year may help us get a high draft pick, it's too late to build around Dalton. We need youth at the position with the potential to become elite. 

Dalton will play his final year. If the Bengals do draft a QB in next year draft Dalton will help groom him, similar to how Kitna groomed Palmer. 

With that said, I hope Dalton has an exceptional year next year with 40+ TD and less than 5 Int and a completion % in the high 60 while winning 14 games and getting the Bengals the 2nd seed in the AFC, getting the Bengals their first play off win and even getting the team to the SB. 

That would put Mike Brown in a spot and fans will still want Dalton gone even if he did all of that for the team next year. 
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 03:52 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: Dalton will play his final year. If the Bengals do draft a QB in next year draft Dalton will help groom him, similar to how Kitna groomed Palmer. 

With that said, I hope Dalton has an exceptional year next year with 40+ TD and less than 5 Int and a completion % in the high 60 while winning 14 games and getting the Bengals the 2nd seed in the AFC, getting the Bengals their first play off win and even getting the team to the SB. 

That would put Mike Brown in a spot and fans will still want Dalton gone even if he did all of that for the team next year.

No they wouldn't. Only an absolute idiot would want him gone after that. I've railed on him hard this season and i'd have no problem bringing him back if he was able to do that, for two reasons: 1. You don't let a vet QB go who produces like that (period) and 2. It would mean everyone around him was playing exceptionally well. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 10:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No they wouldn't. Only an absolute idiot would want him gone after that. 

Just curious, but what would an "absolute idiot" say if Dalton were to throw 4 td passes in a prime time victory over the #1 defense in the league?

Would that idiot give him credit for playing a great game?
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 11:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just curious, but what would an "absolute idiot" say if Dalton were to throw 4 td passes in a prime time victory over the #1 defense in the league?

[Image: tenor.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 11:38 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Just curious, but what would an "absolute idiot" say if Dalton were to throw 4 td passes in a prime time victory over the #1 defense in the league?

Let's get one thing straight chief. You've got some kind of hair up your ass for trying to prove me wrong for something. 

Andy Dalton's 4td game against the Ravens was a good game. I've never said otherwise.

You can crawl down off my dick because, from the beginning, i told you several times that i was looking for a game where Dalton led the team down the field, in prime time or playoffs, to the game winning score. I was looking for CRUNCH TIME THROWS THAT LED TO A WIN.

I've said and then explained my positions multiple times, something specific that i was looking for. NOT TO JUDGE IF DALTON IS A GOOD OR BAD QB, just if he's done it. Which he hasn't under the criteria i was looking for. AGAIN, i was looking for specific throws that we've all seen QBs make in those situations, where Dalton hasn't.

I've already agreed that he's played well in prime time. I've already agreed that he's led the team to the cusp of a couple wins but had Green and Fat Randy choke it away. 

Through all the bullshit you continue to make up, i've stuck to what i was looking for and never denied something was good when it was good. It just wasn't what i was looking for. That question should have lasted about 10 posts or so, to realize he's not done what i was looking for. At that point, it should have been easy for anyone to go "hmmm, you're right, he hasn't done that yet (but it doesn't mean that he can't) but he has done this a, b, c, d", which i would have agreed (gwd, 4th qtr comebacks, good overall games in prime time, etc).

But you couldn't do that. You just had to dig and dig and then start making up a bunch of shit that i didn't say and that i wasn't looking for.

So, for the last time--give it the **** up--i'm not going to repeat what i've already said a million times, that Dalton has played well, etc, etc, etc, etc. I'm not some witness on the stand that you can keep asking the same questions over and over again, trying to keep me talking till something changes and you think you "got me". 

What i was originally looking for, hasn't happened. I was just asking a general question in the middle of a thread to see if anyone could come up with something i was missing. People did come up (you were one) with scenarios that were oh so close, but fell just short.

My ***** forearms are worn out now from all this damn typing so i'm gonna end it here, FOR ONCE AND FOR ALL.

peace

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 10:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No they wouldn't. Only an absolute idiot would want him gone after that. I've railed on him hard this season and i'd have no problem bringing him back if he was able to do that, for two reasons: 1. You don't let a vet QB go who produces like that (period) and 2. It would mean everyone around him was playing exceptionally well. 

I would let Dalton walk; the reason is players always seem to perform better on contract years. Especially when not injured. 
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2019, 04:12 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: I would let Dalton walk; the reason is players always seem to perform better on contract years. Especially when not injured. 

Dalton has another year left on his contract after this year.
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2019, 10:23 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: No they wouldn't. Only an absolute idiot would want him gone after that. I've railed on him hard this season and i'd have no problem bringing him back if he was able to do that, for two reasons: 1. You don't let a vet QB go who produces like that (period) and 2. It would mean everyone around him was playing exceptionally well. 

That sounds like a perfect “sell high” opportunity to me. But then again this fantasy scenario where Dalton becomes Dan Marino on steroids and leads us to the promised land is so far out there that maybe I can’t accurately predict how I would react.
Reply/Quote
Andy was reading that defense today!

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2019, 05:35 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Andy was reading that defense today!

Burn this whole section down! That QB doesn't deserve his own sub-forum. 

Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton makes piss poor throws with ZERO touch. He also stands back there like a deer in the headlights.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote