Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should NFL Have Draft Lottery Like NBA?
I personally like the idea of a lottery to determine the top picks. I think teams tank sometimes on purpose to get a good draft pick. I understand the worse teams may need more help, but let the lottery determine the top 5 picks or something like that.
Get ready for next year!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
If they did, they would have to change a lot around it. Plus I thing the NFLPA would fight it. Although it would increase FA signings, you would have to lessen guaranteed minimums imposed on teams.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-14-2019, 02:54 PM)guyofthetiger Wrote: I personally like the idea of a lottery to determine the top picks. I think teams tank sometimes on purpose to get a good draft pick.

Ever since "suck for Luck" was a thing, I am very much in favor of changing the current system where failure is rewarded and fans start rooting for losses (and rightfully so).

I personally would give the top pick to the team that got closest to the playoffs, go down the list from there and hand the 20th pick to the worst team. That would keep all games interesting.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 05:19 AM)hollodero Wrote: Ever since "suck for Luck" was a thing, I am very much in favor of changing the current system where failure is rewarded and fans start rooting for losses (and rightfully so).

I personally would give the top pick to the team that got closest to the playoffs, go down the list from there and hand the 20th pick to the worst team. That would keep all games interesting.

This would definitely make sure all coaches try to win, not sure players would put their hearts in it as much tho unless it was a contract year.

Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 07:09 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: This would definitely make sure all coaches try to win, not sure players would put their hearts in it as much tho unless it was a contract year.

Yeah well, so be it then. Still better then rewarding a loss.

I sure do get the thought of "help the worst team get better". But it seems that's often  not what's happening. What seems to happen is something like "Oh, you did really bad again last season. This seems to happen a lot to you. This is the result of years long of bad management, wrong decisions, lousy coaches, an insufficient infrastructure and an overall bad culture. You poor bad team. Here, take the best college player next year!"

Some teams, due to their own fault, don't deserve parity. Even a lottery seems more fair.
Reply/Quote
Nah, if the Broncos had the first pick over the Cards, that would be messed up. Most teams don't tank. Cards were just that bad.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
The NFL as a sport and its draft are vastly more popular than the other majors sports and their drafts. I think they are doing it just fine. Tanking is a business decision and the NFL is a business.
Reply/Quote
It's different from the NBA. For example, this year we got the top tackle at the 11th pick. I just think it means more in the NBA where only 5 start. That one player represents 20 percent of a starting line up.
Reply/Quote
I just look at how pathetic the Colts have been ever since they've sucked for Luck and laugh.  I hate randomality in something as competitive as the draft.  I also hate trying to "fail hard" or "failing upward" so I'm torn on this.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 06:27 PM)Goalpost Wrote: It's different from the NBA. For example, this year we got the top tackle at the 11th pick. I just think it means more in the NBA where only 5 start. That one player represents 20 percent of a starting line up.

Exactly what I was going to say; Cavs with Lebron? Champions. Cavs without Lebron, 2nd worst team in the entire league.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-16-2019, 06:00 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I just look at how pathetic the Colts have been ever since they've sucked for Luck and laugh.  I hate randomality in something as competitive as the draft.  I also hate trying to "fail hard" or "failing upward" so I'm torn on this.

Since they got Luck they have been...

11-5
11-5
11-5
8-8 (Luck missed 9 games)
8-8
4-12 (Missed whole season)
10-6

Also have 4 playoff wins in this time period. Not sure why you are laughing, I'd love to be them.
Reply/Quote
To the actual topic at hand here, I would prefer we take from the NBA doing the draft before free agency. I think that would actually create far more interest in the league. I think there would be both more trades during the draft and more guys cut heading into FA making that a more intriguing experience.
Reply/Quote
They should have relegation. Worst 2 teams (one from each conference) gets relegated down to a lower league (XFL, That league that folded, ect..) and the 2 teams that played in the lower division's championship gets promoted.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
This is one thing that isn't broken in the NFL. No need to fix it.
Reply/Quote
(05-15-2019, 05:19 AM)hollodero Wrote: Ever since "suck for Luck" was a thing, I am very much in favor of changing the current system where failure is rewarded and fans start rooting for losses (and rightfully so).

Yeah, and if you remember, all the Jags had to do was lose the game agains the Colts and they could have had Luck.

I don't think tanking is an issue in the NFL.  One major reason is because the season has so few games.  Teams aren't eliminated until late in the season.
Reply/Quote
the draft is working well as it is. I like to see good teams make horrible decisions drafting.
Reply/Quote