Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dalton's make or break year
(07-20-2019, 09:40 PM)jason Wrote: I think we're gonna see Jameis Winston save his career with Arians this year too.

I wouldn't be surprised.  If Winston is to ever make it as a consistent starter in this league, it will be under Arians and Byron Leftwich.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 03:26 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: So we’ve compared Dalton to Brees , Brady n Manning in this thread.   Plus now we can’t call manhole covers “manhole “ in California.   I think the world is officially crazy.

Don't be making fun of person holes.. 
This is not Andy's make or break anything since his wife gave birth to Mike Brown's baby.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(07-19-2019, 09:18 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: But he's better than Dilfer ever was. Even when you adjust for era and compare to peers.

Ah dammit, I got sucked into this debate again.  Gaah

It's like Hatfield's vs McCoy's, I swear. Pick your side and pass the ammunition.

I got labeled a Dalton homer years ago, even though I was one of a select few that said we should sign Peyton back in 2012. *Shrugs*

Yep, and if you recall, I was on that Peyton bandwagon with you.  Hell, I was even for bringing in Bridgewater when he was drafted.

Reply/Quote
(07-21-2019, 03:18 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Nobody said they don't count. Every QB plays the majority of their games at 1:00. I'm talking about the games where the spotlight is brighter. And i'm just looking for one example where he carried the team to a win. 

He's played eight seasons. Don't you think there'd be one time he did it?

Game 2 of 2013 on the road in Pittsburgh.  280 passing yards zero ints in a 20-10 victory.

Week 11 of the 2015 season on the road against the NUMBER ONE defense in the league Dalton drives the Bengals for a game tying FG with less than a minute left, but the defense blew it.

But what I think is funny is that you think a Thursday night game against the Bills is a "bigger" game than a matchup with a division leader on Sunday afternoon.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 02:55 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Game 2 of 2013 on the road in Pittsburgh.  280 passing yards zero ints in a 20-10 victory.

Week 11 of the 2015 season on the road against the NUMBER ONE defense in the league Dalton drives the Bengals for a game tying FG with less than a minute left, but the defense blew it.

But what I think is funny is that you think a Thursday night game against the Bills is a "bigger" game than a matchup with a division leader on Sunday afternoon.

Awesome. So you could only find 2 games in which you thought he delivered game winning drive. One where we won by 10 points the other where we lost. Lol
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 05:54 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Awesome.   So you could only find 2 games in which you thought he delivered game winning drive.   One where we won by 10 points the other where we lost.   Lol

In Fred's defense, he was asked to find one game I do believe. Besides, AD has a ton of game winning drives in his career, it was pointed out in an earlier post in this thread.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 05:54 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Awesome.   So you could only find 2 games in which you thought he delivered game winning drive.   One where we won by 10 points the other where we lost.   Lol

Andy is 27th all time (8th among actives) on the NFL Game-Winning Drives Career Leaders List, ahead of multiple HOFers. To put that in perspective, he is only four games behind Joe Montana.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 02:09 PM)motoarch Wrote: I could see the team moving on.  I like Dalton, he's been better than average but that's it.  No post season success and he just doesn't have the ability to carry the team when they need him.  He needs all the weapons around him firing or it just doesn't work.

If he post another milk toast season it may be time to look for his successor.  He's not getting younger or better.  2015 was along time ago.

I appreciate his time in Cincinnati and what he was able to do and if I'm wrong and Taylor is able to show his true potential I'll eat words.  Frankly though I don't see it happening unfortunately.

Daltons BIGGEST glaring weakness is he is simply not a LEADER. Great qbs that win in crunch time are leaders.Andy never has been and never will be.Our new head coach can only teach so much,only help so much,when it comes down to getting it done when its all on the line,Andy Dalton will fail.A leader has to get one more huge play from guys that are tired,and have already given their all,and the main man,the qb HAS TO PULL all of them together to get that one big play that will win it.He is not capable of that as that has to be born in you.The ones that have that are leaders of men.We lack that in cincy and until we have a qb that can get that done,we will always be watching another team in the SUPER BOWL.If I am wrong I will take all of this back.I do believe we will have an exciting season and our players will be in the hunt.I could see us at 9 and 7 with a wild card.Remember,teams that make the playoffs are very good just to get there.Everyone is super tough at that time.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 07:56 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Remember,teams that make the playoffs are very good just to get there.Everyone is super tough at that time.

Jesus . . . so much here. I don't have time to address it all so I'll just hit your closing sentences.

Andy Dalton LED teams that were below the midway point in rankings to the playoffs . . . against teams that were better and weren't handicapped with the stench of Marvin Clewless. In 2011 and 2012 BOTH offensive rankings were bottom half of the league and they went to the playoffs. That's how bad the Bengals were, Dalton elevated their play, just not above the level of the other playoff teams which were all better and higher ranked than Cincinnati with much better coaching staffs. One can only do so much.

2011 Bengals #19 in rushing #22 in passing 
2012 Bengals #19 in rushing #17 in passing
2013 Bengals #18 in rushing #8 in passing
2014 Bengals #6 in rushing #22 in passing(Jeremy Hill's only decent season)

How many teams ranked like that have success in the playoffs? I can guarantee you that any team that did have success had a coaching staff that every Bengal fan would take over Lewis and company.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
Fair or not, I can easily see the tide turning against Dalton if we notch a 4th losing season in a row. The narrative is going to be that his winning seasons are behind him and it's time to reboot at the position.

Not saying it's right just saying 4 losing seasons in a row would look super not awesome.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 09:28 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Fair or not, I can easily see the tide turning against Dalton if we notch a 4th losing season in a row.  The narrative is going to be that his winning seasons are behind him and it's time to reboot at the position.

Not saying it's right just saying 4 losing seasons in a row would look super not awesome.
And if they win, people will say it was despite him. Let's face it, no matter what record the Bengals end up with, the narrative will be against Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 11:01 PM)Earendil Wrote: And if they win, people will say it was despite him. Let's face it, no matter what record the Bengals end up with, the narrative will be against Dalton.

Total bs. If he put together a 2013 Flacco like postseason we’d build a statue of him outside PBS. And Andy would be the #1 name for new baby boys for years to come.

Some of you really remind of the leave Britney alone kid...

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 11:01 PM)Earendil Wrote: And if they win, people will say it was despite him. Let's face it, no matter what record the Bengals end up with, the narrative will be against Dalton.

I think if we are looking at a 4th losing season in a row we may need to reevaluate how upset we would still be even if we won.

That is an interesting line of defense though.  Oh you'd still be mad at Marvin/Dalton even if he weren't 3-78 versus the Steelers!
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 11:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Total bs. If he put together a 2013 Flacco like postseason we’d build a statue of him outside PBS. And Andy would be the #1 name for new baby boys for years to come.

It's not TOTAL BS....some people legitimately dislike the guy because of the color of his hair......

Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 10:39 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: It's not TOTAL BS....some people legitimately dislike the guy because of the color of his hair......

Are a handful of nut jobs even worth discussing?

Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 07:56 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Daltons BIGGEST glaring weakness is he is simply not a LEADER. Great qbs that win in crunch time are leaders.Andy never has been and never will be.

Total BS.  Andy is one of the best late game leaders around.  Pro-Football Reference keeps track of a stats called "Fourth Quarter Comebacks" and "Fourth Quarter Game Winning Drives".  Since Dalton entered the league in 2011 he is second in "Fourth Quarter Comebacks" (20) and 3rd  in "Fourth Quarter Game Winning Drives" (24).
Reply/Quote
(07-22-2019, 11:08 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Total bs. If he put together a 2013 Flacco like postseason we’d build a statue of him outside PBS. And Andy would be the #1 name for new baby boys for years to come.

Child please. Nothing that man can do will change some people's minds about him.  The narrative about him has already been set in most people's minds.  They're either going to like him or hate him.  They're either going to gloss over his weaknesses or they are going to vilify every mistake he makes.

In my mind, he's an average, to above average quarterback. But some fans act like he's Ryan Leaf.  He's not going to win a Super Bowl on his own, but very few QBs can do that (Brady, Manning, Rapistburger, etc).  I just don't understand why some people waste so much energy hating on a guy that isn't the Devil himself, no matter how much they want to believe it.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 11:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Total BS.  Andy is one of the best late game leaders around.  Pro-Football Reference keeps track of a stats called "Fourth Quarter Comebacks" and "Fourth Quarter Game Winning Drives".  Since Dalton entered the league in 2011 he is second in "Fourth Quarter Comebacks" (20) and 3rd  in "Fourth Quarter Game Winning Drives" (24).

Probably had a ton of chances with second half adjustments or lack of by old Marv.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 12:18 PM)Earendil Wrote: Child please. Nothing that man can do will change some people's minds about him.  The narrative about him has already been set in most people's minds.  They're either going to like him or hate him.  They're either going to gloss over his weaknesses or they are going to vilify every mistake he makes.

In my mind, he's an average, to above average quarterback. But some fans act like he's Ryan Leaf.  He's not going to win a Super Bowl on his own, but very few QBs can do that (Brady, Manning, Rapistburger, etc).  I just don't understand why some people waste so much energy hating on a guy that isn't the Devil himself, no matter how much they want to believe it.

Dalton is an unusual QB.  When he is good he is among the better QBs in the league, but when he is bad he is among the worst.

Some people claim that Dalton is a steady, but unspectacular QB.  I say he is kind of the opposite.  He can be really good or he can be really bad.

There are only 6 active QBs who have more games with a 125+ passer rating than Dalton since 2011, but there is only 1 QB with more games with a passer rating of 70 or lower.
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2019, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Dalton is an unusual QB.  When he is good he is among the better QBs in the league, but when he is bad he is among the worst.

Some people claim that Dalton is a steady, but unspectacular QB.  I say he is kind of the opposite.  He can be really good or he can be really bad.

There are only 6 active QBs who have more games with a 125+ passer rating than Dalton since 2011, but there is only 1 QB with more games with a passer rating of 70 or lower.

Either way, he doesn't deserve the hate that he gets.  Just because he has red hair doesn't mean he's the spawn of Satan. LOL
Reply/Quote