Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals OL Projected #27
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-entering-2019

Quote:27. CINCINNATI BENGALS
PROJECTED STARTING LINEUP:
Left Tackle: Cordy Glenn
Left Guard: John Jerry
Center: Billy Price
Right Guard: John Miller
Right Tackle: Bobby Hart

One step forward, two steps back. The Bengals looked set at the left tackle spot after they selected Jonah Williams with the 11th overall pick of the 2019 NFL Draft, but a torn labrum for the Alabama product means that it’s right back to the drawing board for a Bengals side that ranked 24th among teams in pass-blocking efficiency last year. Cordy Glenn is now set to return to left tackle after he earned a 60.9 overall grade there last year, while center Billy Price will hope to move swiftly on from a rookie season that consisted of only 558 snaps and zero single-game grades above 64.0. After all the offseason shuffling, the team remains steadfast in their support of Bobby Hart at right tackle, a player who hasn’t graded above 60.0 since 2015.

Bengals had a chance to help support Dalton's breakout 2015. It could have been his big turning point as an average/above average QB turning into a great QB, but instead have continued to put out bad OLs. David Carr'ing away any chance he had at reaching greatness.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 02:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-entering-2019

Bengals had a chance to help support Dalton's breakout 2015. It could have been his big turning point as an average/above average QB turning into a great QB, but instead have continued to put out bad OLs. David Carr'ing away any chance he had at reaching greatness.

With Jonah out of the lineup for the mini camp and Glenn kicking back outside Westerman was getting 1st team reps...I wonder if that will continue into training camp.

From PFF to Emory Hunt the Czar (FBGP) everyone is mentioning Westerman.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 03:04 PM)Synric Wrote: With Jonah out of the lineup for the mini camp and Glenn kicking back outside Westerman was getting 1st team reps...I wonder if that will continue into training camp.

From PFF to Emory Hunt the Czar (FBGP) everyone is mentioning Westerman.

Paul Dehner said that Westerman "appears to be option one" at this time but there will be a camp battle for starting spots.

I'm guessing they will try a lot of different options if Boling is not available.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 02:59 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-entering-2019

Make it stop.

David Carr was sacked 1 out of every 8 attempts in his NFL, Andy has been sacked 1 out of every 16. And partly because of this Andy had a career not comparable to David Carr's. Andy has had a fine 9 year career

Are the Texan's (ironic) David Carr'ing DeShawn Watson. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 04:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Make it stop.

David Carr was sacked 1 out of every 8 attempts in his NFL, Andy has been sacked 1 out of every 16. And partly because of this Andy had a career not comparable to David Carr's. Andy has had a fine 9 year career

Are the Texan's (ironic) David Carr'ing DeShawn Watson. 

2016-2017 Dalton was sacked 1 out of ever 13 attempts, despite having a top release speed in the NFL. Even if you include the "improved" OL of 2018, it is still 1 out of 14.

Meanwhile 2011-2015 he was sacked 1 out of almost 18.

'11-'15: 1 out of nearly 18
'16-18: 1 out of every 14

A player with as quick of a release as Dalton has to be getting killed with pressure in order for that big of a drop to happen. Most teams would have seen 2015 Dalton as a breakout in his 5th season and tried to do everything they could to help it along. The Bengals decided the OL was no longer important and let him get murdered, ruining any kind of breakthrough he was having.

(Also, Dalton has had an 8 year career, not 9.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote

I read some of the reviews the writer had of other team's OL and I'm convinced he talks out of his arse and likes to hear himself do so. The Bengals OL improved this off season even with Williams' injury. True they didn't get rid of Hart, but the subtraction of Ogbuehi and Fisher is improvement right there and I expect the middle of the line will be improved over last season at all three spots.

Reply/Quote
I'm not drinking the cool aid that were ok at offensive line. We lost Williams. Boiling who has been are best offensive lineman the past 3 seasons might not even play. I don't see much upside in the group outside of Price. Westerman could have some upside, he's young and has graded out pretty good when he plays. John Jerry couldn't even make an NFL roster last year. I doubt Bobby Hart is miraculously going to get better in his 5th season. Even if Hart stops committing absurd penalties he still gets manhandled by defensive lineman. Michael Jordan is a rookie. John Miller was on one of the worse lines in football last season and is only considered an upgrade because Redman was one of the worse guards in the league. Glenn has been injury prone the last 3 seasons and has not been great when he's played. If Glenn gets Hurt and Boling can't play who's are backup LT ?
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 11:18 PM)lone bengal Wrote: I'm not drinking the cool aid that were ok at offensive line. We lost Williams.  Boiling who has been are best offensive lineman the past 3 seasons might not even play. I don't see much upside in the group outside of Price. Westerman could have some upside, he's young and has graded out pretty good when he plays.  John Jerry couldn't even make an NFL roster last year. I doubt Bobby Hart is miraculously going to get better in his 5th season. Even if Hart stops committing absurd penalties he still gets manhandled by defensive lineman. Michael Jordan is a rookie. John Miller was on one of the worse lines in football last season and is only considered an upgrade because Redman was one of the worse guards in the league. Glenn has been injury prone the last 3 seasons and has not been great when he's played. If Glenn gets Hurt and Boling can't play who's are backup LT ?

After 3 straight losing seasons, it is very OK to be suspicious.
Reply/Quote
Well on the positive side if you really agree with PFF.. Cleveland is 20th and only Pittsburgh in top 10 out of Division plus they did not make the playoffs with their line last year... Also 3 out of the top 8 lines did not make the playoffs last year...
Reply/Quote
Or instead of doing the usual moan and gripe routine we could wait and see as we not only have a number of new linemen but also all new coaches and a different blocking scheme to go along with a different offensive system. They may stink or they may do well - let's wait and see.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 02:48 AM)Joelist Wrote: Or instead of doing the usual moan and gripe routine we could wait and see as we not only have a number of new linemen but also all new coaches and a different blocking scheme to go along with a different offensive system. They may stink or they may do well - let's wait and see.

I was just getting ready to type the same thing basically. How this line plays this year will be greatly determined by how the offense is schemed. If, as everyone suspects, we are going with a run heavy offense, this line could perform well above predictions. If we have to pass a lot, we may be in trouble.
Reply/Quote
You can't evaluate a position group like O line without including the scheme. I keep harping on it, but even if we ran the exact same unit as last year out there we'd be most likely be better just because of the way it appears the scheme will be structured. The year before McVay got to LA the Rams QB's were sacked 49 times, his first year there they were sacked 28 times and 33 times this past year. In terms of O line, yes they added Whitworth, but he didn't single handily cut 21 sacks out, it was the scheme and Whitworth even commented about that when he got there.

I think Miller was an upgrade and I am assuming Price has improved, from those two things alone they should be better. Add in the fact that an outside zone blocking scheme with a heavy dose of play actions should slow down the pass rush a decent amount. Then note that the addition of preplay window dressing motions that mirror similar running plays should force defenders to slow down and read, and you have all the makings of a unit I think that can be middle of the pack in terms of effectiveness.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 10:22 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I read some of the reviews the writer had of other team's OL and I'm convinced he talks out of his arse and likes to hear himself do so. The Bengals OL improved this off season even with Williams' injury. True they didn't get rid of Hart, but the subtraction of Ogbuehi and Fisher is improvement right there and I expect the middle of the line will be improved over last season at all three spots.

Ogbuehi and Fisher didn't matter as long as they weren't starting. However, there was an improvement (or should be) with Miller over Redmond.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 02:48 AM)Joelist Wrote: Or instead of doing the usual moan and gripe routine we could wait and see as we not only have a number of new linemen but also all new coaches and a different blocking scheme to go along with a different offensive system. They may stink or they may do well - let's wait and see.

Meh, we aren't on a Bengals message board in the off season because we want to simply wait quietly to see how things play out before we start discussing.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 10:08 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, we aren't on a Bengals message board in the off season because we want to simply wait quietly to see how things play out before we start discussing.

Not sure why this is so hard for some to understand...

Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 08:14 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The Bengals decided the OL was no longer important and let him get murdered, ruining any kind of breakthrough he was having.

You should do more research before you make such claims. Bengals used the first two picks of the draft on O-linemen.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 12:04 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You should do more research before you make such claims. Bengals used the first two picks of the draft on O-linemen.

We've made some down right bold moves to address the o line in the past 3 or 4 years and it's still such a glaring weakness that we can't even dream about taking a QB in the first.  At this rate we will be in a position to draft Daltons replacement guilt-free by 2037.
Reply/Quote
(07-09-2019, 10:22 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I read some of the reviews the writer had of other team's OL and I'm convinced he talks out of his arse and likes to hear himself do so. The Bengals OL improved this off season even with Williams' injury. True they didn't get rid of Hart, but the subtraction of Ogbuehi and Fisher is improvement right there and I expect the middle of the line will be improved over last season at all three spots.

You don’t think there’s a chance that this could be the worst Oline in the league? Who was the best starter on last years line? Is he starting this year? No. Who was the worst starter on last years terrible line? It’s he starting this year? Yes.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 12:12 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We've made some down right bold moves to address the o line in the past 3 or 4 years and it's still such a glaring weakness that we can't even dream about taking a QB in the first.  At this rate we will be in a position to draft Daltons replacement guilt-free by 2037.

I don't understand what you are talking about. The O-line has nothing to do with drafting Dalton's replacement.
Reply/Quote
(07-10-2019, 01:41 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't understand what you are talking about. The O-line has nothing to do with drafting Dalton's replacement.

Repairing the o line is a more pressing need than burning a 1st round pick on a QB.
Reply/Quote