Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign FA LB Laroy Reynolds
https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2019/09/10/bengals-add-free-agent-lb-laroy-reynolds/?fbclid=IwAR0OiBz8r0u9X05KMkhVzqdv5UbLZ5PO-blHKBCIXHeuNiOJh44HyovrpeM
Reply/Quote
Logical move. Gives another depth LB who has spot started but more importantly shores up special teams.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
We needed another LB. And since he is our 5th it is a good thing he excels on special teams. Seems to be a fiery player who could bring some energy. We could need him on special teams if Fej starts getting more defensive snaps like he did on Sunday. The coaches complained about none of the young LBs stepping up on special teams. So they went out and got a guy who is a proven special teams player.

Is he an improvement on Nickerson? Hell yes!!
Reply/Quote
I would have rather added Brandon Marshall. This guy is a pure special teams player. Not usable in base defense.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 06:40 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: We needed another LB. And since he is our 5th it is a good thing he excels on special teams. Seems to be a fiery player who could bring some energy. We could need him on special teams if Fej starts getting more defensive snaps like he did on Sunday. The coaches complained about none of the young LBs stepping up on special teams. So they went out and got a guy who is a proven special teams player.

Is he an improvement on Nickerson? Hell yes!!

Honestly, both are special teams quality. IF you started Reynolds in games, he'd likely struggle just as much as Nickerson.

Face it...you never heard of this guy before the Bengals signed him. But, now you're all psyched...because well...it's what people on here do.
Reply/Quote
Seems like more of a depth signing is all. Yet, given a few weeks with our D and Lou, he may find an extra gear he didn't know existed. Yes, that's homerism talking, but after what we saw Sunday, who can truly doubt me at this point? LOL

Reply/Quote
Insight on San Fran
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 07:22 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Seems like more of a depth signing is all. Yet, given a few weeks with our D and Lou, he may find an extra gear he didn't know existed. Yes, that's homerism talking, but after what we saw Sunday, who can truly doubt me at this point? LOL

He's 28 and has 59 total tackles in his entire career.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 07:37 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He's 28 and has 59 total tackles in his entire career.

Whats your point? Are you saying the kid is trash and his career is over and that these coaches can't make a better player out of him? 

Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 07:41 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Whats your point? Are you saying the kid is trash and his career is over and that these coaches can't make a better player out of him? 

He is what he is at this point...a special teams player.

I doubt they have grand designs of starting him in the base defense. This is a special teams move.
Reply/Quote
I think the Bengals will draft smaller quicker backers about Reynolds and S. Williams size in the future. Lawson, Hubbard are sort of hybrid DE backers. I think Bengals will go hybrid safety backers if the right player is there in the draft.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I know he may not be a household name but I think there is more to this signing than just depth. I think Taylor signed him to get info on the Niners too since he is familiar with them but of course I could be wrong.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 07:16 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I would have rather added Brandon Marshall. This guy is a pure special teams player. Not usable in base defense.

Never thought we would sign the dude that takes a knee. Marshall that is.

Don't care for this move. Don't even know who Reynolds is...
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 07:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He is what he is at this point...a special teams player.

I doubt they have grand designs of starting him in the base defense. This is a special teams move.
You honestly believe Marshal is starting material in our base defense? Talk about name recogniziton. He hasn't been relevant for a couple of years. Injuries have derailed him. Child please....
Reply/Quote
Here is an article from his Pro Day at Virginia:

https://www.dailyprogress.com/sports/cavalierinsider/football/reynolds-impresses-at-uva-pro-day/article_14b04fc6-90ec-11e2-91f2-0019bb30f31a.html

Looks like a speedy, undersized, weak-side LB that could possibly also fill a roll at FB? With 28 bench press reps, 37" vertical, and 10'5" long jump, he has an explosiveness score of 75.5. That is nothing to sneeze at. If he has ANY instincts at all, he is a better option than the recently departed Malik Jefferson.
Reply/Quote
At the very least, he'll be better than Jefferson and Nickerson.
Reply/Quote
Clearly intel.

Don't be surprised if he gets cut next week.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 07:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Insight on San Fran

Bingo. He'll be waived to make room for Alex Redmond.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
The coaching staff's youth is showing in these signings.

Marvin (I know, I know, he's gone), at least had a deep familiarity with the league, and players around the league, it showed in his solid if not spectacular free agent singings and post season pickups.

ZT and company doesn't quite have that yet, so they are relying on Tobin and co. And when you rely on this FO, you get players like Laroy.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
why haven't we taken a look at former packers LB Nick Perry?
Reply/Quote