Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th and 1 - Fake Draw from the shotgun QB Sneak???
Really, that might have been the worst playcall that I've ever saw. There was a 0% chance it worked.

As the defensive line collapsed on Mixon, then you sneak Dalton 5 feet to the right of that where there is a wall of defenders.

Just terribly executed. If you're going to get cute like that - spread the defense out and fake a jet sweep or a screen and roll Dalton out.

Taylor is by far the worst coordinator in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
That's just one stupid playcall and there's no getting around it. If you're going to have the QB run it why start him out 5 yards behind the LOS ? Just dumbfounding
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Really, that might have been the worst playcall that I've ever saw. There was a 0% chance it worked.

As the defensive line collapsed on Mixon, then you sneak Dalton 5 feet to the right of that where there is a wall of defenders.

Just terribly executed. If you're going to get cute like that - spread the defense out and fake a jet sweep or a screen and roll Dalton out.

Taylor is by far the worst coordinator in the NFL.

That was a stupid call, but it was on coaches and Dalton. He's the one that pulled the ball out of Mixon's gut and tried to run it. To, typically, disastrous results. Stupid play call. Stupid execution. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That was a stupid call, but it was on coaches and Dalton. He's the one that pulled the ball out of Mixon's gut and tried to run it. To, typically, disastrous results. Stupid play call. Stupid execution. 

The announcers said it immediately.  It was a designed fake and run.  That's not on the QB at all, unless you want to fault him for not saying "No way in hell am I running that play" and making an audible.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:31 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The announcers said it immediately.  It was a designed fake and run.  That's not on the QB at all, unless you want to fault him for not saying "No way in hell am I running that play" and making an audible.

My issue is that it smacked of that dastardly "cuteness" we accused Hue of doing.  Intsterad of saying "We know you know Mixon is going for 1 yard and you can't stop him" we decided to do something so stupid that they'd never see it coming.  Oof.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:31 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The announcers said it immediately.  It was a designed fake and run.  That's not on the QB at all, unless you want to fault him for not saying "No way in hell am I running that play" and making an audible.

So the announcers were in the huddle?

I think we can both agree that it was a terrible call and terrible execution, no?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
That was worse than the patented Bratkowski “Palmer to Leonard shovel pass” on fourth and one.
Reply/Quote
I had my laugh for the day when they carried Dalton essentially horizontally for 5 seconds until the whistle blew.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:46 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I had my laugh for the day when they carried Dalton essentially horizontally for 5 seconds until the whistle blew.

The really funny part was when they dropped him. I can't wait to find a .gif of that. It's going to be my new sig. 

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:24 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That was a stupid call, but it was on coaches and Dalton. He's the one that pulled the ball out of Mixon's gut and tried to run it. To, typically, disastrous results. Stupid play call. Stupid execution. 

What would happen if Andy said "This is a stupid as hell playcall" instead of just listening to his coach/manager? As someone 20 years into their field, I no longer listen to my manager if it's something idiotic. Andy Dalton is afraid to lose his job, or is he so dumb to nod his head when his coach tells him 1+1=3?

What would happen if Andy ran his own play there, disregarded what the coach said, they got a 1st down. Maybe behind the scenes conversation.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:40 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My issue is that it smacked of that dastardly "cuteness" we accused Hue of doing.  Intsterad of saying "We know you know Mixon is going for 1 yard and you can't stop him" we decided to do something so stupid that they'd never see it coming.  Oof.

Yup

How many times have you seen Brady, who runs a 5.5 forty, has the athleticism of a tree sloth, and the power of a newborn kitten go up to the line a quick snap a QB sneak and go for 3 yards ?

Way to overthink it
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:42 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So the announcers were in the huddle?

I think we can both agree that it was a terrible call and terrible execution, no?

Absolutely one of the worst calls in ages.

But there is zero reason to attempt to blame the QB.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The really funny part was when they dropped him. I can't wait to find a .gif of that. It's going to be my new sig. 

I can definitely snippet that play and upload it to YT for you, I have NFL gamepass with rewind lol.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:49 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Absolutely one of the worst calls in ages.

But there is zero reason to attempt to blame the QB.

Other than Dalton being able to audible into a normal run to Mixon?  That's the thing...we love ZT because players supposedly aren't afraid to screw up, but Dalton has to run a shotgun RB route because he knows it won't work but he doesn't want to make ZT mad?  Who knows.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:48 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: What would happen if Andy said "This is a stupid as hell playcall" instead of just listening to his coach/manager? As someone 20 years into their field, I no longer listen to my manager if it's something idiotic. Andy Dalton is afraid to lose his job, or is he so dumb to nod his head when his coach tells him 1+1=3?

What would happen if Andy ran his own play there, disregarded what the coach said, they got a 1st down. Maybe behind the scenes conversation.

I don't think he's under orders to run plays as called, period. If he gets up to the line and it's stacked with little to no chance of success, i'd hope he checks out of it and does something else. If the bengals don't have several options for that scenario, then that's bad on them for not being fully prepared to adjust. 

Kind of like...i thought...the bengals practiced situational plays during TC? That's kind of a perfect place for that. 

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:52 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Other than Dalton being able to audible into a normal run to Mixon?  That's the thing...we love ZT because players supposedly aren't afraid to screw up, but Dalton has to run a shotgun RB route because he knows it won't work but he doesn't want to make ZT mad?  Who knows.

That's my point too, a "veteran" QB isn't allowed to "fix a stupid play", is he scared to make ZT mad, or is Andy dumb? I wish i was a reporter. Which one is it Andy? You're not that dumb. Are you afraid to lose your job to Finley? You're already doing a good job at that.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yup

How many times have you seen Brady, who runs a 5.5 forty, has the athleticism of a tree sloth, and the power of a newborn kitten go up to the line a quick snap a QB sneak and go for 3 yards ?

Way to overthink it

See...this is the GREAT part of being a bengals fan. It's not bad enough that we had to suffer through the last 25+ years, most of the time, and the last 3+ years specifically. We now have to live through the growing pains of a new HC and all his **** ups AND all his newborn patience and optimism, something long time bengals fans have little of. 

So all the MB bullshit, followed by all the Marv bullshit, now we get a new, fresh faced coach and have to deal with all his new bullshit. 

That's a bit much if you ask me. 

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I don't think he's under orders to run plays as called, period. If he gets up to the line and it's stacked with little to no chance of success, i'd hope he checks out of it and does something else. If the bengals don't have several options for that scenario, then that's bad on them for not being fully prepared to adjust. 

Kind of like...i thought...the bengals practiced situational plays during TC? That's kind of a perfect place for that. 

I guess I hope Andy realized after that play, that he should never run that play ever again...lol  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:55 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: That's my point too, a "veteran" QB isn't allowed to "fix a stupid play", is he scared to make ZT mad, or is Andy dumb? I wish i was a reporter. Which one is it Andy? You're not that dumb. Are you afraid to lose your job to Finley? You're already doing a good job at that.

Dare we start the conspiracy theory that ZT sent Dalton a dunce of a play to see if he had the balls to defy his coach and call a good one?  hmmmm
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2019, 07:49 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: But there is zero reason to attempt to blame the QB.

There is if he puts the ball in Mixon's gut then pulls it back and tries to run. 

Until Zac says "man, my bad, i screwed that up. bad call on my part", i'm going to say Dalton is as much to blame as anyone on the team when he's running what looks like an option play. 

Reply/Quote