Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sounds like the Bengals aren't interested in trading players for picks
(10-09-2019, 12:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Those guys are pretty far removed from the current situation.  However, Joseph and Spikes thrived quite well here, and were highly regarded by the fan base.  For some reason, there just wasn't as much fan love for Justin Smith.

AJ Green would have been a star on any team that would have drafted him, thus the title "star" player.  Nick Vigil is pretty darned far from being a "star" player in everyone's eyes.  (One would think, at least)

What I was getting at is, as they stand, currently at this moment, our "star" players have their greatest return value to the team during this trade deadline leadup.  Once the season is over, AJ is a FA and only worth a 3rd round comp pick at best, where as right now, he might gather a 1st round pick.

The funny part about this fanbase is, they view the good players as bad (a lot of the time, as referenced above) and they view the bad/average players as better than they are. 

Probably not uncommon in most fanbases though.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: they view the bad/average players as better than they are. 

If by "bad/average" you mean untested rookies and back up QBs I agree.  Every fan base loves "potential".

Every year it seems like there is a WR taken late in the draft or even an undrafted free agent who is going to be a "beast".  And look at how much love McCarron got from a lot of people around here.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:29 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The funny part about this fanbase is, they view the good players as bad (a lot of the time, as referenced above) and they view the bad/average players as better than they are. 

Part of it is the Bengals camp PR articles. The offense looks great scoring at will! The defense looks great too!

Then the preseason games where you see some undrafted WR going against an undrafted CB and the WR has 3 catches for 45 yards. People think he's some star. Then put an NFL starting caliber CB on that guy, and they can't even get open.
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If by "bad/average" you mean untested rookies and back up QBs I agree.  Every fan base loves "potential".

Every year it seems like there is a WR taken late in the draft or even an undrafted free agent who is going to be a "beast".  And look at how much love McCarron got from a lot of people around here.

Yeah.  I get potential, but fans tend to go overboard with it right off the bat. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 01:47 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah.  I get potential, but fans tend to go overboard with it right off the bat. 

There's a general overvaluation of the impact that rookies make in general.

Like I hear people say that we should draft offensive line with EVERY draft pick.

Yeah...great! We'd maybe get a starter with our 1st Round pick and then a bunch of depth guys. Really solved the problem there!
Reply/Quote
Here's the realism:

AJ:

Final year of contract
Injured and recovering
32 yrs old

What's his value? Still think a first? NOT A CHANCE.

Atkins:

Signed big contract
Not performing to his typical standards
Is not young either.

Dunlap:
Signed big contract
Not performing to the same levels of similar paid DEs

So no- these guys can only be hard to trade anyhow. So we're pretty much stuck with the last two and AJ will be left to be a FA because no franchise could (in their right mind) pay the tag salary for him.

Sad part is they are 3 terrific guys. Reality is we're stuck with 2 of them.

I expect AJ and Dalton to be gone. We'll sign someone's flash in the pan a la Kitna at QB and try to develop a QB who can run under Taylor. Boyd will be our #1 WR, which will be a problem as there's no one on the other side yet that can keep him from doubles and there will be no one to throw to him.

We have no one worth trading on this team right now anyhow unless we eat part of the salaries- which begs the question of whether it is even worth it. Mixon has to be kept, though when we over paid Gio, makes me wonder if we'd screw that up.

This team is no where near playoff ready. I guess the FO thinks we will get lucky again and find a young Dalton and Green and make the playoffs next year. I think we're in for a long and tortured decade like the 90s. More bargain basement bandages, more over the hill players, hype and no performance.

Thank the Lord for Booze.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

Reply/Quote
I'm not sure what you get for a player like Green that has yet to see the field in 2019. If he somehow comes back and plays lights out in a game or two before the end of the month, I could see a team offering a late first or a second. That's not the reality we're dealing with at the moment. He's not worth a lot sitting on the shelf.

As for Geno, I could see somebody offering a second for him. I tend to think he's still a very good DT. To us, he may seem like he's falling off because of the lack of sack numbers and expectation of regression to to age. He's still getting a lot of push. To a team that's in the hunt with a big need at DT, a Geno Atkins that's not quite elite is still a pretty favorable option.

Teams willing to trade right now are looking for someone to put them over the top in an effort to be contenders for a title. We look at these players as guys that are supposed to carry the entire team. That's what they've been to us. To a buyer at the deadline, that's not the expectation. A team like that likely already has a stout roster in place. They're not looking for superman. they're looking for an impact compliment force-multiplier to boost a team that's already getting it done.
Reply/Quote
Hard to be a fan of a team when the ownership acts like this, kind of like prison/jail, not that I would know...
Reply/Quote