Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deone Buchannon Waived
He's a speedy LB that can cover. Former 1st Round pick.

Not really used in Tampa this year and his PFF rating is low.

He was decent in Arizona...but was hurt a lot.
Reply/Quote
they waived him and signed Noah Dawkins off our Practice Squad.... ( a bengals LB not good enough for this 53 man roster?)

Not sure if Deone Buchannon is an upgrade at this point
Reply/Quote
(10-09-2019, 04:39 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: they waived him and signed Noah Dawkins off our Practice Squad....  ( a bengals LB not good enough for this 53 man roster?)

Not sure if Deone Buchannon is an upgrade at this point

Doesn't hurt to take a look at him. He does have experience. Though another player with a history of injuries just doesn't make sense to sign given the bad luck the Bengals have with players and injuries, especially as of late. 
Reply/Quote
I'm tired of trying to go after reclamation projects who aren't good and healthy right now.
So no to Bucannon.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 11:17 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm tired of trying to go after reclamation projects who aren't good and healthy right now.
So no to Bucannon.

Well, that's kind of what you get when you don't sign anyone decent in the main free agency period.  You get hurt dudes, guys with discipline issues, and players nearing the end of their careers.  Every now and then, you hit big on a lottery ticket.  Dhani Jones would be a good example.  We picked him off the trash heap when we had safeties and DL playing linebacker, and he went on to stabilize the defense for the next few years.

Buchanon is a guy with speed that can tackle when he's heathy.  I don't see what it would hurt to bring him in. He wouldn't break the bank.
Reply/Quote
There’s an extreme long shot that he makes the team better and no chance he makes the team worse, so might as well kick the tires.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 03:15 PM)samhain Wrote: Well, that's kind of what you get when you don't sign anyone decent in the main free agency period.  You get hurt dudes, guys with discipline issues, and players nearing the end of their careers.  Every now and then, you hit big on a lottery ticket.  Dhani Jones would be a good example.  We picked him off the trash heap when we had safeties and DL playing linebacker, and he went on to stabilize the defense for the next few years.

Buchanon is a guy with speed that can tackle when he's heathy.  I don't see what it would hurt to bring him in.  He wouldn't break the bank.

is he healthy?  if they replaced him with a PS player is he worth a look
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 03:15 PM)samhain Wrote: Well, that's kind of what you get when you don't sign anyone decent in the main free agency period.  You get hurt dudes, guys with discipline issues, and players nearing the end of their careers.  Every now and then, you hit big on a lottery ticket.  Dhani Jones would be a good example.  We picked him off the trash heap when we had safeties and DL playing linebacker, and he went on to stabilize the defense for the next few years.

Buchanon is a guy with speed that can tackle when he's heathy.  I don't see what it would hurt to bring him in.  He wouldn't break the bank.

Fair, yes. I'm being too harsh out of frustration.
Fine with bringing him in but I don't want the team to avoid bringing anyone else in because they got Bucannon.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

FA is to fill in gaps and not make the team better. All the top teams use the draft to build the team and use FA for gap fillers. 
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 05:36 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: FA is to fill in gaps and not make the team better. All the top teams use the draft to build the team and use FA for gap fillers. 

Except teams like the Rams have brought in A LOT of talent via free agency and trades.

There is no one way to build a team. IF you draft great, then you can supplement in free agency and you have less need to sign quality starters.

IF you don't draft great...like the Bengals...and have A LOT of poor starters...like the Bengals...then you likely need free agency. We have way more holes to fill than we can do in 1 draft.

For all we know though, the Bengals might think they're AJ Green away from contending.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2019, 05:29 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Fair, yes. I'm being too harsh out of frustration.
Fine with bringing him in but I don't want the team to avoid bringing anyone else in because they got Bucannon.

At this point, who would bringing in Bucannon stop them from signing? There are basically no good options.

He signed with the Giants anyways.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2019, 05:36 PM)MEBengalsFan Wrote: FA is to fill in gaps and not make the team better. All the top teams use the draft to build the team and use FA for gap fillers. 

This is the most nonsensical hogwash I've ever read on here.  
Reply/Quote

The Packers would like a word...

They went out and spent on 3-4 good upper-tier FAs in Amos, Turner, Preston Smith, and ZaDarius Smith.
They also allowed aging veterans Clay Matthews, Mike Daniels, and Randall Cobb to go elsewhere so those new FA moves could happen.
Now they are 6-1 after being 6-9-1 just a year ago.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2019, 09:06 PM)samhain Wrote: This is the most nonsensical hogwash I've ever read on here.  

On average a contending team has acquire less than a handful of FA that are contributing to the team winning season. That is roughly 1-2 players on offense and defense. So where does the other 9-11 other players on the team that take the field come from? Oh yeah, the draft usually. 

Looking at the Bengals if they go out and get 2 offensive lineman, 1 defensive lineman and one or two linebackers next year a majority of the players that take the field will be from the drafting and those FA would be the players filling in the gaps that was created by bad prior drafts. 

I don't find my comment about using the draft to build a team to be hogwash. Any FO executive would agree using the draft is the way to go and FA is there to help fill voids. 

Bengals biggest void next year is the OL, DL and LB. Filling those spots with FA would allow the team to take BPA during the draft.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2019, 10:02 AM)ochocincos Wrote: The Packers would like a word...

They went out and spent on 3-4 good upper-tier FAs in Amos, Turner, Preston Smith, and ZaDarius Smith.
They also allowed aging veterans Clay Matthews, Mike Daniels, and Randall Cobb to go elsewhere so those new FA moves could happen.
Now they are 6-1 after being 6-9-1 just a year ago.

Those were voids and were filled by FA. Where do most of the remaining come from the draft. Since a team can only have 11 players on the field at a time, you better be drafting good enough to fill the remaining players to put on the field. 

Four players don't account for 11 on the field. Even if all four play on defense you still need 7 more on the field. Again, FA is for the void and draft is where you build the team. 
Reply/Quote

(10-11-2019, 04:40 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: There’s an extreme long shot that he makes the team better and no chance he makes the team worse, so might as well kick the tires.

Agree!
Reply/Quote