Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Green talks.....
https://www.bengals.com/news/green-feeling-a-return-i-think-i-ll-be-the-same-guy

So, looks like Green has not refused an extension. If the money's right, he still envisions staying in Cincy and helping with the rebuild. No unnamed sources, straight from the horse's mouth.

Quote:It’s just me. That’s my emotions on the sidelines. I’m not a robot on the sidelines,” says Green of the all-too familiar TV shots of him suffering this season. “I’m thinking how I wish I was out there. Thinking what I would do if I was out there.

“But you play this game long enough, you’ll have set backs at some point in your career.”
It is 5:25 p.m. on the training table and that’s a lot of time to look at your phone. It’s been blowing up for a few days since everyone wearing stripes but Garfield has been mentioned in trade rumors.
The texts have come from all over. “A.J., you should go here. A.J., you should go there.” But you know Green. He’s a safe harbor in the choppy seas of NFL divas. He’s not fantasizing about following Moss and Chad to New England.

I tell everybody I haven’t heard anything,” Green says. “I don’t fantasize about anything like that. I’m just trying to get healthy and go from there.”

He also knows it’s a business: “I’m prepared for anything. A trade’s not going to change who I am. I’m still going to play. I’m still going to be A.J.”

The trade rumors and the start have done nothing to shake him. He says if the contract is fair, he’s all in. Whether they re-build or not. He says he’s not looking to jump to a hot team.

“That’s just not who I am. I’m loyal to the person who gave me my shot,” Green says. “They took care of Larry. He’s a Cardinal. No matter how many times they rebuild, he’s a Cardinal. He’s the only guy still there.”
So amid the buzz, the contraption strapped to his foot on the training table, the contract, Green is as impassive and as intense as ever. “We’ll see,” he says of the future. Right now he just wants to get back and win games and get back in the AFC North race.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Good stuff. I’d love to see our next QB have both AJ and Boyd. Hope we get a deal done soon.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 11:41 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Good stuff. I’d love to see our next QB have both AJ and Boyd. Hope we get a deal done soon.

I agree. I look at it like this....if you don't get what you want in a trade, then use a guy of AJs caliber to not only help out your young QB, but to also be an excellent mentor on how to do things the right way for young wideouts. Having Boyd is just that much better.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
AJ should be on the Mount Rushmore of Bengals
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 11:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree. I look at it like this....if you don't get what you want in a trade, then use a guy of AJs caliber to not only help out your young QB, but to also be an excellent mentor on how to do things the right way for young wideouts. Having Boyd is just that much better.

Although I agree with trading him, I also agree with what your saying that if we don't get what we want, then don't reach. Just hope he can stay healthy once he hits the field. Great to see AJ speak about this so people know where he stands and to reduce the hearsay. 

Reply/Quote
Yeah, Green would have been a difference in at least 3, possibly 4 games this year. No doubt.

I hope he does stay. It doesn't change what I want the Bengals to do no matter how the season turns out.

I would love to see what this team can do with all the pieces in place. Williams, Green and even Dennard.

That would depend entirely on the coaching though. Not just the HC, but the position coaches as well.

The draft for me is still the best OLine prospect available in the draft, followed by LBer. DE is also a strong consideration, though I would be inclined to target one in FA if available.

Andrew Thomas is who I like at the moment, if we have a low enough draft pick. Solomon Kindley if not.
Reply/Quote
I love Green but if we're gonna be dropping any serious cash this offseason it needs to be on starting caliber linemen and linebackers in FA. We could shorten the rebuild pretty significantly that way. Dunno if paying a top-10 WR fits in to that financial equation.
Reply/Quote
I think AJ has earned what he wants. If he wants to stay and he'll do it without breaking the bank, I say let him stay. If he wants out I'd understand as well.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 11:47 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: I agree. I look at it like this....if you don't get what you want in a trade, then use a guy of AJs caliber to not only help out your young QB, but to also be an excellent mentor on how to do things the right way for young wideouts. Having Boyd is just that much better.

Yep... Give the new guy something to work with...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 12:31 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Yeah, Green would have been a difference in at least 3, possibly 4 games this year.  No doubt.

I hope he does stay.  It doesn't change what I want the Bengals to do no matter how the season turns out.

I would love to see what this team can do with all the pieces in place.  Williams, Green and even Dennard.

That would depend entirely on the coaching though.  Not just the HC, but the position coaches as well.

The draft for me is still the best OLine prospect available in the draft, followed by LBer.  DE is also a strong consideration, though I would be inclined to target one in FA if available.

Andrew Thomas is who I like at the moment, if we have a low enough draft pick.  Solomon Kindley if not.

Probably a 1st Round pick is what the bar would be.

He's also missed 19 games over the past 3 years. That will make some teams shy away.
Reply/Quote
AJ Green has always been, and continues to be a 1st class person. Weather he and the team reach an amicable deal, or if he gets traded to a contender, I will continue to respect and admire him for his strong character and work ethic.

I really hope that they can reach a deal that would allow AJ to play the rest of his career as a Bengal, but on the other hand, the salary that he'll merit would likely afford the team a LB and an OL of better quality than what we have.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Time will tell, but I'm not sure why we are so sure we aren't going to just stick with Dalton, too. Any logic to keeping AJ Green here applies to keeping Dalton here as well, doesn't it?
Reply/Quote
I'm curious to know what Green considers a fair offer.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 11:47 AM)Wyche Wrote: I agree. I look at it like this....if you don't get what you want in a trade, then use a guy of AJs caliber to not only help out your young QB, but to also be an excellent mentor on how to do things the right way for young wideouts. Having Boyd is just that much better.

Good point.  He would definitely help take some of the pressure off a rookie QB, if that were to be the case.  I think if we had a QB on a rookie deal, that would also help absorb the cost of AJ, so there could be a win-win there.  Not to mention I think AJ will last a lot longer than John Ross in this league and we still need 2 decent receivers.  If a QB is available early next year in the right spot, that may be the way to go with Jonah coming back and of course we'd have to at least try to get at least 1-2 FA OL starters.  

It could work.  Depends on how much he wants.  $17 million/season?  It seems like both a high and low offer.  I dunno.  
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 11:28 AM)Wyche Wrote: https://www.bengals.com/news/green-feeling-a-return-i-think-i-ll-be-the-same-guy

So, looks like Green has not refused an extension. If the money's right, he still envisions staying in Cincy and helping with the rebuild. No unnamed sources, straight from the horse's mouth.

AJ amazes me time and time again with his class. Love the guy, my favorite Bengals WR ever.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 12:07 PM)impactplaya Wrote: AJ should be on the Mount Rushmore of Bengals

He should be in the Bengal Ring of Honor..oh wait, Mikey refuses to have one of those
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 12:31 PM)OswaldsLegacy Wrote: Yeah, Green would have been a difference in at least 3, possibly 4 games this year.  No doubt.

I hope he does stay.  It doesn't change what I want the Bengals to do no matter how the season turns out.

I would love to see what this team can do with all the pieces in place.  Williams, Green and even Dennard.

That would depend entirely on the coaching though.  Not just the HC, but the position coaches as well.

The draft for me is still the best OLine prospect available in the draft, followed by LBer.  DE is also a strong consideration, though I would be inclined to target one in FA if available.

Andrew Thomas is who I like at the moment, if we have a low enough draft pick.  Solomon Kindley if not.

Solomon Kindley looks like a beast with a nice little mean streak on the field. Depending on any potential trades, he's a guy they could target later in the first round. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 01:39 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Time will tell, but I'm not sure why we are so sure we aren't going to just stick with Dalton, too.  Any logic to keeping AJ Green here applies to keeping Dalton here as well, doesn't it?

I think that anything shy of us drafting a QB with a Top 5 pick and Dalton is back. Heck, even in that scenario...Dalton may be the guy.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 02:05 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Solomon Kindley looks like a beast with a nice little mean streak on the field. Depending on any potential trades, he's a guy they could target later in the first round. 

I've said this before, but if we were to trade Green, and have a top 5-10 pick (maybe even top 3), I hope our team would select Thomas followed by Kindley as our 1st rounders. 

An Oline with Williams Kindley Hopkins Price and Thomas would be stellar.  The thing that is really great about Williams and Thomas is that they both played RT and LT and both did so at a high level.

I also like the kid from Michigan Bredeson (spelling), so Thomas and Bredeson (in the 2nd) would be the other option, if we do keep Green.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2019, 02:10 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think that anything shy of us drafting a QB with a Top 5 pick and Dalton is back. Heck, even in that scenario...Dalton may be the guy.

If Dalton is willing to keep with the team-friendly deals and be a real "I love Cincy and want to be here forever" type, I don't see why Mike Brown would "kick a turd and make it stink" by letting him walk.  It's not like Dalton is going to cash-in and get a big FA deal and start somewhere else like Kirk Cousins or Nick Foles did and Gruden being fired in DC took that option off the table, as well.

Add in the fact that the only 2 other franchise QBs we've had in the MB era both demanded trades, and I wouldn't be so quick imagining a top 5 rookie QB airing it out to AJ and Boyd next year.  If Dalton wants to play for peanuts here why not just trade down and/or use the top pick(s) on the o-line since ours is so bad that the past 4 years have been a total waste of time?
Reply/Quote