Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Agency Optics after we draft Burrow
I know this is a touchy subject on the boards, but I find it interesting. Will free agents be more willing to come to the Bengals after we draft Burrow? Veteran players are very excited about Burrow coming into the league and you're already getting pundits calling him a Mix between Aaron Rodgers & Steve Young(which is hilarious because 3 weeks ago his NFL comp by these same guys was Andy Dalton). The Brown's had a huge free agent influx after drafting Mayfield and that continued into this year do you think It will have similar impact on this team?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
No one has the answer, we do not know what players and agents are thinking. He has shown he has the killer instinct, maybe he needs to prove it in the NFL first? Hard to bet against him...
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 01:16 PM)Okeana Wrote: I know this is a touchy subject on the boards, but I find it interesting.  Will free agents be more willing to come to the Bengals after we draft Burrow?  Veteran players are very excited about Burrow coming into the league and you're already getting pundits calling him a Mix between Aaron Rodgers & Steve Young(which is hilarious because 3 weeks ago his NFL comp by these same guys was Andy Dalton).  The Brown's had a huge free agent influx after drafting Mayfield and that continued into this year do you think It will have similar impact on this team?

This is the wrong thought process, as FA is before the draft.
Most players still around after the draft are people you only want to pick up because of some OTA or TC injury.

We want FAs to want to come here before the draft happens with the expectation the Bengals will draft Burrow.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 01:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: This is the wrong thought process, as FA is before the draft.
Most players still around after the draft are people you only want to pick up because of some OTA or TC injury.

We want FAs to want to come here before the draft happens with the expectation the Bengals will draft Burrow.

I think it's pretty clear to everyone involved who's drafting him.  These players aren't stupid and they will know that going in especially if we trade dalton before the draft.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 01:28 PM)Okeana Wrote: I think it's pretty clear to everyone involved who's drafting him.  These players aren't stupid and they will know that going in especially if we trade dalton before the draft.

If it's pretty clear, then the Bengals need to get that deal signed as early as possible (today?). No need to wait if the decision is made.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Pretty obvious every FA Olineman in the league is salivating over signing the lowest ever FA contract with Mike Brown this off season.. You can already hear it.. "Let's see...Millions or become Joe Burrow's personal protector for league minimum? Joe it is!" 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 01:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If it's pretty clear, then the Bengals need to get that deal signed as early as possible (today?). No need to wait if the decision is made.

I kind of expect they will.  If I were their front office I wouldn't like him to risk anything at senior Bowl, Pro Day, or Combine.  Just get him signed and into the playbooks.  I, however, don't know the rules put in place that may prevent this from happening.  I know the NFL wants them not to do this because they want to pump up their draft view numbers and make it more suspenseful.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 01:48 PM)Okeana Wrote: I kind of expect they will.  If I were their front office I wouldn't like him to risk anything at senior Bowl, Pro Day, or Combine.  Just get him signed and into the playbooks.  I, however, don't know the rules put in place that may prevent this from happening.  I know the NFL wants them not to do this because they want to pump up their draft view numbers and make it more suspenseful.

What? the league wouldn't hype anything for "suspense" sake if you paid them.. No, they want it all 100% predictable from day one..  Hilarious
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 01:45 PM)grampahol Wrote: Pretty obvious every FA Olineman in the league is salivating over signing the lowest ever FA contract with Mike Brown this off season.. 

Shrug I think Hart got overpaid so players can make money on this team.  Everyone is still reeling from the Whitworth situation and not paying Zeitler, but these things happen.  Green and Atkins were making top positional money when they signed their contracts.   I also think that with drafting another guy and getting Jonah Williams back that this line can be a whole lot better next year.

That said this is really beside the point because the question was how does he specifically affect the optics.

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 01:48 PM)Okeana Wrote: I kind of expect they will.  If I were their front office I wouldn't like him to risk anything at senior Bowl, Pro Day, or Combine.  Just get him signed and into the playbooks.  I, however, don't know the rules put in place that may prevent this from happening.  I know the NFL wants them not to do this because they want to pump up their draft view numbers and make it more suspenseful.

I would have him come to Senior Bowl practices (mainly just to talk with him) but avoid the Combine and Pro Day. There is nothing he has to show from a drill perspective that will benefit his draft stock.

I realize that if they just plan on talking with him and he doesn't do drills, the Bengals can talk to him instead at the Combine or Pro Day. However, Senior Bowl is the soonest opportunity to do so and it would help solidify their offseason personnel strategy the sooner they can talk with him.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 01:16 PM)Okeana Wrote: I know this is a touchy subject on the boards, but I find it interesting.  Will free agents be more willing to come to the Bengals after we draft Burrow?  Veteran players are very excited about Burrow coming into the league and you're already getting pundits calling him a Mix between Aaron Rodgers & Steve Young(which is hilarious because 3 weeks ago his NFL comp by these same guys was Andy Dalton).  The Brown's had a huge free agent influx after drafting Mayfield and that continued into this year do you think It will have similar impact on this team?

well considering free agency is before the draft im not sure unless your talking 2021 free agents?

free agents generally follow the money.
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 01:33 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If it's pretty clear, then the Bengals need to get that deal signed as early as possible (today?). No need to wait if the decision is made.

i dont believe the deal can be done early anymore.... To help preserve draft tv ratings.
Reply/Quote

I'm not sure when they can sign him or announce it ? I do remember in drafts past it being announced that team X was taking player y before the draft actually started but I don't remember if it was 2 hours prior, 2 days, 2 weeks ?
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 02:12 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i dont believe the deal can be done early anymore.... To help preserve draft tv ratings.

Do you have source for this? I cannot find that confirmation anywhere.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
It seems pretty clear we are taking Burrow, but I’m fine if they wait until draft day to make it official. It would be a weak smoke screen at this point, but any time other teams spend scouting Burrow just in case is less time they spend scouting guys that might slip.

Internally I think we should be focusing on our second round pick. Externally we should be really torn on what exactly it is we are going to do. Chase Young is a once in a lifetime defender after all...
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 02:46 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Do you have source for this? I cannot find that confirmation anywhere.

i looked but cant find any document i just remember when they went to the 3 day format   teams were no longer allowed to announce the 1st overall pick before they were offically on the clock during the draft.      Maybe they can still agree to deals in princible  but with the rookie wage scale its not nearly as big a deal to get the deals done.
Reply/Quote
Coming to Cincinnati seems like a quick way to end your career if you're a older FA vet.  Chances are the team won't do well which will lead to numerous lineup changes, finger-pointing, possible coaching changes, etc.  If I was looking to showcase my value in the NFL, the Bengals would be one of my last choices.

But with Burrow coming in (hopefully), we have nowhere to go but up, which is easy to do when you're 2-14.  The better the team gets, the better our options will be.  I am hopeful we can improve through FA, but we're going to have to overpay to do it, which is something MB has not historically done, so my expectations are tempered.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 02:13 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not sure when they can sign him or announce it ? I do remember in drafts past it being announced that team X was taking player y before the draft actually started but I don't remember if it was 2 hours prior, 2 days, 2 weeks ?

They can sign him anytime they want. In fact the Bengals signed Palmer to a deal a week before the draft.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Here are my expectations of this team with Joe Burrow...
Joe Burrow with the exact same team goes around 6-10.
I say that because I think with Dalton at the helm the whole year, the Bengals like get a couple more wins.
And I think Burrow is a better QB that can result in a couple more wins than Dalton.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2020, 03:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Here are my expectations of this team with Joe Burrow...
Joe Burrow with the exact same team goes around 6-10.
I say that because I think with Dalton at the helm the whole year, the Bengals like get a couple more wins.
And I think Burrow is a better QB that can result in a couple more wins than Dalton.

I agree. Three wins is feasible for Burrow's first season in the NFL - even if it is behind the Bengals O-line.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote