Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puig/Scooter
Puig and Scooter are both still unsigned. Both guys are only 29. Both of these guys would make nice backup plans for a team. I’m guessing someone will pick them up if there’s an injury or maybe sign mid season. I would guess that one of the two will probably still be productive. Puig is a pretty good defender, I’m guessing that his personality is why nobody signed him.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 09:04 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Puig and Scooter are both still unsigned. Both guys are only 29. Both of these guys would make nice backup plans for a team. I’m guessing someone will pick them up if there’s an injury or maybe sign mid season. I would guess that one of the two will probably still be productive. Puig is a pretty good defender, I’m guessing that his personality is why nobody signed him.

Scooter scares me a little bit, he's never really got it going again since the injury, can he ?

Puig I didn't think was much of a distraction last season while he was here. I'm not a big fan of the "baiting" style of fielding to try and get runner to advance and gun him down but I don't recall it hurting us. If memory serves he did not run out a hit he thought was a dinger ? Puig has been a pretty solid .265 20+ HR 70 RBI guy.

I'm just not sure on either ?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 09:23 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Scooter scares me a little bit, he's never really got it going again since the injury, can he ?

Puig I didn't think was much of a distraction last season while he was here. I'm not a big fan of the "baiting" style of fielding to try and get runner to advance and gun him down but I don't recall it hurting us. If memory serves he did not run out a hit he thought was a dinger ? Puig has been a pretty solid .265 20+ HR 70 RBI guy.

I'm just not sure on either ?

Yep, Scooter didn’t look good when he was rushed back or since. His 17 & 18 years were very productive though. I can’t believe that Puig didn’t catch on with someone like the Royals or Pirates. I really can’t believe that Brandon Finnegan is getting another shot for the Reds.
Reply/Quote
Scooter hit the wall and won't likely be back with the Reds mainly because he's not a very good defender. Unless he's knocking out HR after HR or hitting close to .275(ish) he's not a very useful guy. The last thing the Reds need now is another poor defensive 2nd baseman who doesn't hit. Puig might have some more upside than Gennett, but he's just too polarizing as a player. Fans either love him or hate him, but unless he's hitting upward of .275(ish) and hitting lots of HRs he's just a good defensive replacement. He's definitely a streaky kind of guy and wants too much money. I doubt either will return to the Reds short of a HUGE amount of unforeseen injuries. There are better options available.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'd rather have Payton or Friedl on the bench than Puig. Baseball is a kids game but MLB is a business and when your negatives outweigh your positives, you get replaced. He's entertaining, but he's just too much of distraction.

Scooter's weak arm is probably why he has no team right now.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 04:52 AM)grampahol Wrote: Scooter hit the wall and won't likely be back with the Reds mainly because he's not a very good defender. Unless he's knocking out HR after HR or hitting close to .275(ish) he's not a very useful guy. The last thing the Reds need now is another poor defensive 2nd baseman who doesn't hit. Puig might have some more upside than Gennett, but he's just too polarizing as a player. Fans either love him or hate him, but unless he's hitting upward of .275(ish) and hitting lots of HRs he's just a good defensive replacement. He's definitely a streaky kind of guy and wants too much money. I doubt either will return to the Reds short of a HUGE amount of unforeseen injuries. There are better options available.

Scooter is a .286 lifetime hitter with close to 3000 AB’s. He’s below average with the glove though and who knows with the injury. Puig seems like a good risk but his character must turn people off. I’m not advocating for the Reds to sign either. I just found it interesting that no team is taking a spring training flyer when the Reds have a guy like Finnegan in camp. Maybe the other 2 were holding out for a guaranteed contract and nobody is willing to do that.
Reply/Quote
Scooter avg for '17-'18... 83 runs... 94 rbi… .303 BA... .351 OB%.... .508 SLG%
Moustakas last year...….. 80 runs... 87 rbi… .254 BA... .329 OB%.... .516 SLG%

And Scooter is younger than Mike.

He never seemed to recover from his groin injury, but now that is has been almost a full year he might be healthy.  
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 09:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Scooter avg for '17-'18... 83 runs... 94 rbi… .303 BA... .351 OB%.... .508 SLG%
Moustakas last year...….. 80 runs... 87 rbi… .254 BA... .329 OB%.... .516 SLG%

And Scooter is younger than Mike.

He never seemed to recover from his groin injury, but now that is has been almost a full year he might be healthy.  

Good stats. I’m guessing that Moose won’t be a whiz either fielding second.
Reply/Quote