Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Jonah Williams Will Upgrade LT
At least most of us hope so. For those that worry about Jonah Williams at LT, take a look of some favorable highlights. Highlights are design to make you look good, but ask yourself this, how many highlights has Hart, Ced, or whoever the hell played OT for the Bengals the last few years?

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/3/6/18247397/nfl-draft-2019-jonah-williams-cincinnati-bengals-scouting-report-alabama-left-tackle-arms
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Looking forward to seeing Williams. We really needed him last year and still a rookie this year. I just hope he’s that long term rock at LT we need him to be.

Reply/Quote
Hart, Ogbuehi, etc, all had great highlight reels in college too, I am sure.

There's nobody who gets drafted that doesn't have a highlight reel in college. If they didn't, they'd be insurance salesmen.

Of all draft eligible Div 1 NCAA football players, only 3.9% get drafted (and that doesn't even mean you'll ever make a 53 man roster.)

- - - - - - - - -

So trying to compare a college highlight reel against a lacking pro highlight reel is a bad endeavor at best.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Let's hope this dude comes out strong and solidifies a spot on the offensive line. I'm excited to see what he can do to keep Burrow upright.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hart, Ogbuehi, etc, all had great highlight reels in college too, I am sure.

There's nobody who gets drafted that doesn't have a highlight reel in college. If they didn't, they'd be insurance salesmen.

Of all draft eligible Div 1 NCAA football players, only 3.9% get drafted (and that doesn't even mean you'll ever make a 53 man roster.)

- - - - - - - - -

So trying to compare a college highlight reel against a lacking pro highlight reel is a bad endeavor at best.

So, what do you think about this Free Agency TLL?

Don't care for the negativism at this point or just saying something we already know.

What do you like about Jonah? What do you don't like? Bet we will hear more about what you don't like... Mellow
Reply/Quote
Moves have been great, hope the best for the kid but we gotta be careful honestly assessing the line. I think many of us assume he will be a pillar off the grip, but rookie have hurdles and he's coming off of an injury.

I also think Williams will be good but we still need another upgrade on the OL. I don't know if it's Andy's money or a high pick that gets it done. We owe it to Jonah as well that it shouldn't take a pro bowl season from him just to get out of the bottom 1/3 of OL play.
Reply/Quote
Has Jonah passed a recent physical? We assume he’s good to go — but is he?
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:17 PM)phil413 Wrote: Moves have been great, hope the best for the kid but we gotta be careful honestly assessing the line.  I think many of us assume he will be a pillar off the grip, but rookie have hurdles and he's coming off of an injury.  

I also think Williams will be good but we still need another upgrade on the OL.  I don't know if it's Andy's money or a high pick that gets it done.  We owe it to Jonah as well that it shouldn't take a pro bowl season from him just to get out of the bottom 1/3 of OL play.

I would like to see the Bengals draft 3 OL this draft.  I would hope at least OT and LG.  If Ruiz is there at #33, he looks like he could be something special at Center.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would like to see the Bengals draft 3 OL this draft.  I would hope at least OT and LG.  If Ruiz is there at #33, he looks like he could be something special at Center.  

Ruiz can play Guard too and that is where I would put him, at RG. Let XSF and Jordan compete at LG would be my plan.

Hopkins is our Center now.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:17 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Has Jonah passed a recent physical?  We assume he’s good to go — but is he?

He was Cleared in December 2019 for individual drills...
Here is some more positive information...it includes a video of Lap's Take...

https://www.bengals.com/news/jonah-swaps-i-pad-for-field
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I would like to see the Bengals draft 3 OL this draft.  I would hope at least OT and LG.  If Ruiz is there at #33, he looks like he could be something special at Center.  

The talent is there for online to be improved in the draft. Rounds 2-4 could see 2 WR and 2 Olinemen picked.
Reply/Quote
You’ve gotta believe that there will be good things in his future, I’m pretty optimistic that he will work out. Then again, I was high on Price too. I thought for sure at the worst that Price would make a solid Guard. This has to be the last shot here for Price, they need to cut bait if there isn’t significant improvement. I look for JW to have a solid year. He may have a few games early of not looking good but I bet he’ll settle in.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: So, what do you think about this Free Agency TLL?

Don't care for the negativism at this point or just saying something we already know.

What do you like about Jonah? What do you don't like? Bet we will hear more about what you don't like... Mellow

The free agency wasn't bad, but it didn't fix either of the two main needs. (OL and LB) Or even their secondary needs. (WR and TE)

Got better in the secondary and got better on the DL, but when push comes to shove, the Bengals need to beat the Ravens in order to win the division. The Ravens are going to have a lot of passes to TEs and a lot of QB runs. If you lack the LBs to stop that, you can't beat them. I guess we will see what happens with the draft.  I just don't feel they put Burrow in the best position to succeed with the suspect OL, TE, and WR groups outside of Boyd (who is a great #2, but can't fill the #1 shoes) and it seems absurd to pick a QB 1st overall and not give him everything he needs to give the best odds for him to succeed and deliver on the promise of his immense talent.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Jonah Pros: Nothing so far, he hasn't played in the NFL yet.
Jonah Cons: He hasn't played in the NFL yet, was selected by the same people obsessed with Bobby Hart and Alex Redmond.

...we don't KNOW anything else about him yet. If college success created pro success, Tim Tebow would be facing AJ McCarron every year in the SB. Despite his malingering, Glenn (when on the field) was a solid LT. It just seems a leap to automatically assume 

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 11:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The free agency wasn't bad, but it didn't fix either of the two main needs. (OL and LB) Or even their secondary needs. (WR and TE)

Got better in the secondary and got better on the DL, but when push comes to shove, the Bengals need to beat the Ravens in order to win the division. The Ravens are going to have a lot of passes to TEs and a lot of QB runs. If you lack the LBs to stop that, you can't beat them. I guess we will see what happens with the draft.  I just don't feel they put Burrow in the best position to succeed with the suspect OL, TE, and WR groups outside of Boyd (who is a great #2, but can't fill the #1 shoes) and it seems absurd to pick a QB 1st overall and not give him everything he needs to give the best odds for him to succeed and deliver on the promise of his immense talent.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Jonah Cons: He hasn't played in the NFL yet, was selected by the same people obsessed with Bobby Hart and Alex Redmond.

...we don't KNOW anything else about him yet. If college success created pro success, Tim Tebow would be facing AJ McCarron every year in the SB. Despite his malingering, Glenn (when on the field) was a solid LT. It just seems a leap to automatically assume 
You have to have DB's who can tackle and have a strong DLine to stop the run.  Maybe we gave up a bit in passing defense, but doing one thing well is a lot better than doing two things badly.

Bell is an outstanding blitzer.  Maybe you make QB's get rid of the ball quicker and hopefully you've stopped getting killed by check downs so your DB's start magically looking a whole lot better.

It all starts with stopping the run. 

You mention playing Lamar.  Notice how all the new guys on defense are geared to stopping the run?  And the NT too?

We put a dent in our needs before the draft.  That sure happens all the time.

And there is a draft with seven rounds picking first in each round.  

It's probably not a one year fix but it will be a one year improvement.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 11:17 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The free agency wasn't bad, but it didn't fix either of the two main needs. (OL and LB) Or even their secondary needs. (WR and TE)

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Unless something else happens expectantly during Free Agency, I can see the Bengals fixing two of the 4 holes you listed.  I do not see TE as a secondary need but I can see why some would.  I say this because thus far, Taylor has not utilized many two TE sets.  

I hope the Bengals stick with BPA but tries to fix the OL this year, and grabbing a quality LB Day 2.  I think if they do not obtain any more draft picks, they can get by with Muse as the hybrid backer because he is big and fast for a safety.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:33 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: You’ve gotta believe that there will be good things in his future, I’m pretty optimistic that he will work out. Then again, I was high on Price too. I thought for sure at the worst that Price would make a solid Guard. This has to be the last shot here for Price, they need to cut bait if there isn’t significant improvement. I look for JW to have a solid year. He may have a few games early of not looking good but I bet he’ll settle in.

What qualities does Price have that made you think he'd be a good G? He doesn't have any special physical tools- not great athleticism, not great size, definitely not a dominant mauler type. Guards who are  drafted in round 1 have special, dominant tools.

The only thing Price had going for him was maybe teams thought he had the intangibles, smarts, and leadership qualities that you look for in a starting center- as sort of the captain of the O-Line. And perhaps teams thought having those qualities in a starting center was worth a first round pick, even if he is lacking in physical ability. But, if he's not playing center, those intangibles become a moot point.

Maybe he'll show enough to prove he can stick around as sort of a backup swing C/G, but I never thought be was worth more than a mid round pick. Just sucks we reached for a center because there were some really good Guards on the board when we picked Price. And we'd have one less hole now. Always draft for talent and accumulate the best players you can instead of reaching to fill a need. If you reach, you're still going to be trying to fill the same hole next year, and you just cost yourself the chance to add some serious talent at another spot.
Reply/Quote

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Man you’re a downer. This was never getting fixed in one offseason.

Best FA in franchise history and some people still aren’t happy...

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 12:48 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Man you’re a downer. This was never getting fixed in one offseason.

Best FA in franchise history and some people still aren’t happy...

The reason why it's not getting fixed in one offseason is because the best FA in franchise history (probably) was preceded the year before by hands down the WORST FA in franchise history.

If you take 3 steps back and then 3 steps forward, you're right back to where you were.

Not to mention how I don't trust Zac Taylor's offense to get the best out of Joe Burrow. Taylor has never successfully run an offense in the collegic or pro level, and 2019 wasn't a confidence booster that he'll buck that trend.

- - - - - - - - - -

All of that aside, there is a REALLY easy way to make people happy. Win. Bengals are on a 4 season losing streak, they have won 3 of their last 24 games and finished 4th in the division both of the last two years. Nobody should be happy with a loser.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2020, 02:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: The reason why it's not getting fixed in one offseason is because the best FA in franchise history (probably) was preceded the year before by hands down the WORST FA in franchise history.

If you take 3 steps back and then 3 steps forward, you're right back to where you were.

Not to mention how I don't trust Zac Taylor's offense to get the best out of Joe Burrow. Taylor has never successfully run an offense in the collegic or pro level, and 2019 wasn't a confidence booster that he'll buck that trend.

- - - - - - - - - -

All of that aside, there is a REALLY easy way to make people happy. Win. Bengals are on a 4 season losing streak, they have won 3 of their last 24 games and finished 4th in the division both of the last two years. Nobody should be happy with a loser.

Can’t win games in late March. What we’re seeing is absolutely cause for optimism though.

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2020, 10:06 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Hart, Ogbuehi, etc, all had great highlight reels in college too, I am sure.

- - - - - - - - -

Well, these college players don't have the luxury of having a Pro highlight reel so what's your point? How do they get drafted then, by their good looks???
The bottom line is every game Jonah played in his senior year was a highlight reel.
He didn't give up 1 sack his senior year at Left tackle for Alabama.
Not to mention he hit it out of the park in every interview he had with every NFL team.
He's a consummate pro and takes the game very seriously.
I'm sure that's why they drafted him at #11. And, I'm hopeful he'll be a bookend LT for years to come.
Reply/Quote